Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,886 reviews matching the search
not the worst place i have worked. :)
Courtesy Desk/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON16 February 2017
Not the worst place I have worked. I have years of management experience but, BUT, I cannot get a management position. Was told I need to "put" my time in. Doesn't seem like a good business model to me.
Wal-Mart does not have many full time employees, good job for people who need a second income or are going to school.

I have found there is a lot of "passing the buck" and it flows down. No ownership by management. if you need a job this one is as good as any.
Pros
a generous Employee Discount Programs : phone/ internet - hotels etc.
Cons
no full time hours. Have to hustle to get 35 hours a week
Productive place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Johns, AG20 March 2017
A typical day at work is checking in customers and helping them get through line ups quickly and helping them if they have ant issues. Management is very nice and friendly and very approachable from my experience at the two stores I worked at. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with upset customers and trying to figure out how to satisfy them better/faster and the most enjoyable part is interacting with customers and making them happy and the employees also make it a lot better.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
Standing in one spot for so long
Worst Management ever
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON3 March 2017
Hired to work in PhotoLab. Often only employee on duty required to cover photo, electronics, Toys, shoes, infants, automotive and hardware. Never enough staff to cover all the departments. Complaining continuous in lunch room, not a encouraging work environment. Trying to do a good job is not promoted when unable to take regular breaks. Cannot give the proper customer service I was used to giving and was demanded in other employment experience, because didn't have enough time to help when covering all the departments. Worst place I have ever worked in 30 years,
The worst job I ever had!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 March 2017
The most miserable management ever, they want you to work faster and do more and they pay the bare minimum allowed by law. The hours you work are always reduced at the last minute. They hire you full-time and say 37 hours a week but you only get 27 hours. That way they can tell the world they 'employ' thousands of Canadians but they are all just minimum wage part-time jobs. Over worked and under paid there is a very high staff turnover and the Guelph, Ontario new store is a mess, the management only care about their bonuses.
Pros
10% discount on some items
Cons
constantly reducing hours, staff always quitting and managers are mean
Fun workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON7 March 2017
Walmart was a very fun environment to work in and I was lucky enough to work in more than one department. Garden Centre was great because you are outdoors, but the environemtn and the associates I worked with was great and gained friendships. When I started in dairy, it was more challenging then Garden Centre but not a difficult job at all, I actually quite enjoyed it. I gained plenty of friends in this job over all.
Pros
good pay, long hours, friendly environment
Great place to start your journey to your future career
Tire Lube Express Tech. and Service Writer (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 March 2017
This company has taught me how to have patience with co-workers and customers. I mostly work in the Tire Lube center changing tires and oil, occasionally a battery or two. When not working on vehicles I spend time in the hardware department, zoning and putting away stock. Over all haven't had many complaints about the store, lovely people to work with and management is easy to get a long with and always understanding.
Pros
10% discount and profit sharing
Cons
Long travel to work, and never closes for snow storms
Good company, not totally fair to all employees.
Walmart Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2017
I had worked at Walmart south keys for only a year. At first I really enjoyed my job. But as the months go by, I noticed a lot of favouritism towards those who really didn't work hard, whereas I busted my tail bone for Walmart. When it wasn't busy, I would clean my area spotless, where others are playing on their phone and yet the managers never really cared. I wanted to stay at Walmart for a while, like I did for Wendy's, but I was having family issues and with the favouritism going on, I really couldn't handle it anymore. I have also been told, however, that the Walmart South Keys is a bad store to work at.
Pros
Was $12/hr
Cons
Favouritism
Great place to work.
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 March 2017
I worked at walmart in Britannia Ontario. It was my first job and one of the best jobs I ever had. I was young, in my teens, but they worked with my schedule and anytime I needed time off there was never an issue. They always gave me the hours I was told the day I was hired, unless I requested different. They paid more than minimum wage, but not much more. The management team were so organised, everything was done correctly and on time.

Overall, that was a fantastic experience for me.
Pros
Make you feel valued
Cons
Minimum wage
Lots of Retail Experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 March 2017
I punch in, walk up front to get keys for unlocking game cabinets etc. I count my register and start working on price changes and critical picks. I zoned all areas that need it and start to put out stock from the critical picks. Around mid morning we start putting out stock from the warehouse and from directs. While doing all this, I help as many customers that need it. I have lots of retail experience and telson gun knowledge. I work hard everyday and enjoy keeping busy.
Pros
Stable Job
Cons
Not enough hours
productive and a lot on hand with fun environments
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
Good working environment with a lot of opportunities to advance the career in the company. I don't think there is the hardest part of the job if u like doing it. Sometimes it can be here there if your have to deal with the difficult customer but other than that it is pretty good. the most enjoyable time was interacting with customers and helping them with their purchases it was great over all. workplace culture was ethical to everyone respected each other in great way.
MIssed opportunities
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON2 March 2017
When I first began with Walmart in 2008, it was a fantastic place to work.
When I left, I was thankful to get out when I did.
An increased demand for much heavier workloads, unbalanced pay rates and diminishing benefits made the idea of working there less than desirable.
What started as a family focused business as quickly dropped to how much profit for the higher ups while working the on the ground associates to extremes and all in as little time as possible factory.
I would not recommend that people work for this company as it will drain you physically, mentally and emotionally.
Fast paced and very team orientated
Customer assistance manager (Current Employee) –  Stettler, AB21 February 2017
Busy and fast paced environment with one on one customer relations.i have improved on my multi task skills and problem solving . I have gained knowledge and experience in a management position . I enjoy the customers that come in from young to old . Development and growth are very important to me as well as furthering my knowledge and gaining more confidence and understanding .
Pros
Employee appreciation days
Cons
Part time
Friendly customers, student friendly, good training
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON23 February 2017
overall my experience at Walmart was mixed. I enjoyed the work, the customers and I liked the shifts I was given. Unfortunately, I ended up meeting a few issues along the way. I asked for time off at three separate times to go to a wedding, paperwork and all. Was told no but no reason was given, then later was told I never asked for time off. Management was rude and unfriendly, even to customers.
Pros
Friendly customers, student friendly, good training
Cons
not very flexible with hours, management needs improvement
Moderately productive environment with low levels of acceptance
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON2 March 2017
While Walmart promotes associate diversity, the truth is something different. While they are more than happy to hire people of all backgrounds, keeping employee morale up was a large issue in my experience. Many people often complained about low wages, being ignored by management, and being told to do tasks not included in their job description. However, I always found my responsibilities simple and easy to carry out.
Pros
decent colleagues
Cons
contradictory expectations
Walmart - Great learning experience and good environment to work in.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2017
A typical day at work involved bringing in carts for customers to shop with, helping customers find desired items, cleaning up spills, and helping customers transport heavy items to their vehicle. I acquired customer service skills which included diffusing situations where customers were irate. I learned about being a team player as well as being an individual contributor in ensuring that I was following Walmart policies at all times.
Pros
great environment, flexible hours, good pay, professionalism
Labour work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB7 March 2017
Opening Greeting clients, preparing paper and computer files for clients.
When required finding files, and pertaining information.
Assisting clients and tax associates with extra information they may require.
Management in locations were great.
Work place culture was a plus.
Hardest part of the job was being able to multi function in many different directions as best as possible.
Meeting all the wonderful clients we had, and working with them for a happy result.
Challenging
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
Different challenges and can be chaotic. Management members relocate often to sustain a good structure and teamwork. Every store environment is distinctively different. New store structure or routines that cause miscommunication, misunderstanding and unreachable expectations. Rapidly changes, new implementations are introduced into stores then instantly withdrawn again.
Pros
salary, environment, bonus and benefits
Cons
Management, routines, expectations, annuals
It was a very Fast paced but fun experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 February 2017
Working at Wal-Mart was my most successful career thus far. I genuinely enjoyed working there because they find a good balance between work life and personal life. They gave good hours and were flexible with the schedule that was made.

The coworkers were also fun people to work with that made my job fun. These things all made me want to come to work. Also, the customers at Wal-Mart were also very nice people.

I rarely had any conflicts with customers because I know how to diffuse a situation and properly listen to the customer explaining their problem.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Lot's of opportunity for advancement
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON15 February 2017
At Walmart, if you have the right attitude, you can go as far as you like. With so many different departments I was able to transfer when I needed a change. The workplace itself had a bit of a gossip problem, but you're going to find that everywhere. Management maintained their open door policy, and the company itself has a lot of resources for its workforce. I enjoyed my time here, the experience I gained as well as the meaningful relationships are invaluable.
Great people, awful company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 February 2017
The studio was a great place to work, some days extremely fun, others very boring. The business changed and they began demanding people be conned into packages that they didn't want nor could afford. We we not allowed to be creative nor bring in items that were not part of the usual package. I learned that kids and families are hard to make smile all at once, but sometimes the best shots were the ones that were destined for the trash.
Pros
Fun and creative enviroment
Cons
Extremely long hours