Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,144 reviews matching the search
Welcome to Walmart, where job titles are made up and the employees don't matter.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 8, 2016
Within my first month at Walmart I was being left alone for entire shifts in my department, I felt as though I didn't have sufficient training for the situation.

Throughout my time working there several workplace incidents occurred (harassment, etc), human resources refused to step in.

It has been more than eighteen months since I relocated and terminated my employment, and I'm still struggling to get my last paycheck.

However, I made lifelong friends at Walmart, and appreciative customers really make the job worth it.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
human resources, payment, management, working conditions, loose ethics
Great place to wok and learn knowledge of the retail industry
Overnight Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON as well as Sault Ste marie ONSeptember 12, 2016
When I started at Walmart I was an overnight stocker which got me more in tune with the store surroundings. From there I moved up to overnight support manager which entitled the same duties as an assistant manager I was a key holder. I overlooked the staff all aspect of shipping receiving as well as all stock and zoning that was required. The biggest thing Ive learned from Walmart would be time management.
Productive fast paced environment that was fun and friendly.
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Great environment, treats their employees very well, company treats employees to free lunch, coffee, food etc.

Learned a lot about bin auditing, inventory check and order processing. Long hours, but was given three given breaks.

Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and satisfying customers, as well as the one hour lunch break.

The hardest part would be either unloading a truck that has defective products and or messed up skids, or pulling a heavy pallet.
Pros
Free Lunches
Horrible Work Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2016
A typical work day at Wal-Mart was not the best, the managers at the one that I worked at were always gossiping about others all the time, when it would be time for your break they wouldn't relieve you, completely strict rules that would jeopardize your employment, they were ALWAYS talking about how you can get fired, not how you can advance and then they fired me 3 days before my probation period ended.
Pros
Free food sometimes, love the customers
Cons
Horrible hours, horrible management, horrible experience overall
Work with wonderful people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2016
I loved the clients I got, they loved my work. I was the manager, I really enjoyed it. But I was tossed into the role with no clue what to do. The area manager that was supposed to train me was no help, and didn't care about me, the store, or my clients. She would never show up on time, and if she did, she would be on her phone the entire time. I contacted head office, they didn't care as well. The company had the potential to be great, but lacks motivation.
Pros
people were lovely
Cons
Head office wasn't good. No motivation.
Great work exprience
Customer service specialist (electroncs) (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABSeptember 9, 2016
on a normal day it would be pretty slow the walmart that i worked at was in a very small town, but i learned how retail works and working with customers isnt that bad, youll get the angry person from time to time, thankfully i can handle them.
the hardest part of working at walamart was working with my co worker he was always rude to customers and they didnt like going to him so i had to take care of everyone,
the best part of the job was when there was something new to do where i had to learn it then teach it
Pros
IF* full time you get great health benefits and other perks
Cons
a barely livable wage
Company that you can GROW with!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTAugust 28, 2016
I have been with Walmart since 2009. As like anything, had ups and downs, but would recommend to anyone looking to get into the retail world. Walmart offers you SO many opportunities both at store level as well as at Home Office and in other countries as well. Walmart is all about being ahead of change, and therefor as a Manager, you need to be out in front leading this change. It is a company that moves fast and likes to end up on top, therefor you need to have that same Go-Getter attitude! It is a thrill each day, and each day is completely different from the day before. Its a company that taught me all that I know about how to be the best leader and stay that way. Rah rah Walmart!
Pros
GROWTH opportunity
Cons
Turnover
Its good if you have no other option
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2016
Since working here I realized this job is slavery all over again. You work your aas off but will never advance in the company. The managers and csm's play favoritism and they tall about you a lot behind your back! Shifts are given based on how many MasterCard you have sold. Where I work is mostly immigrants and instead of speaking English they speak their language all day talking and laughing right in your face! Their is no open door policy because if you dear complain about how rude and unprofessional management are they will cut your shifts are you will become an outcast.
Pros
Nice breaks
Cons
Everything else!
Customer Service is a never ending cycle of interesting people and situations.
Courtesy Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 11, 2016
Typical day of work is taking care of the customers and cashiers. Making sure everything is running smoothly for all the tills and customer service desk.
I have learned there is very interesting people out there and they are always looking for the best deal.
I valve my co-workers. They are all very supportive of each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the customer leaves not satisfied with our help.
The most enjoyable part of the job is bringing a smile to the customer.
Its just okay
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2016
working at walmart can be busy, fun day. you meet a lot of people everyday you learned different things everyday.because your very busy at work giving customer service, doing sctocking, doing your paper works, doing price changes. you will not notice the time. the only hard part is when there is very disrespectful customers. That make me sad. it gives a bad day or i can say stress in your day that makes u upset for the day. inspite of that you still have to be positive for the day for me to do my job and enjoy the things im doing.
Pros
free coffee
Fast paced and process driven.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 12, 2016
Great company to learn and get a feel for how retail can be fast paced, competitive and process driven. I was able to obtain skills in business plan development, budgeting, great people skills working with all walks of life and cultures. With so many different avenues of business operations with other companies I was able to create a lot of great working relationships with vendors and merchandisers.
Pros
Always ready to change to be a competitor
Cons
Advancement is becoming very difficult within the company
Productive and a fun work place
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABSeptember 13, 2016
Hardest part of the job was not getting enough sleep because it was an over night shift. However, it was nice to just be left to do what you were required to do with out distractions. The manager would assign you to a department and the time it should take you to finish at the meeting and a way you went. You knew what needed to be done and when it should be done by. Management was good they would inform you of any new changes.
Pros
On fridays we would have pot lucks
Cons
Not enough staff
Fast paced and customer service face to face
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 24, 2016
Helping customers with their orders for photos, handling cash and taking payment for photos. Printing photos and developing orders in a specific time line. Working along side staff and management to ensure all customers are helped. Hardest part of the job was explaining to a customer if there order wasn't ready at the time they were given. Example if our printing machines went down. The most enjoyable part of the day was helping each and every customer with a smile.
Pros
learning how to develop photos
Cons
only was a part time postion
Walmart is a fine first job.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2016
Walmart was a stable environment providing most of the resources required to do the needed work, and gave the required training to satisfy customers on a daily basis; Generally everybody worked well together and much was accomplished at the end of the day. Sometimes it was hard to meet expectation, as there was much to do outside of my expected job, but the experience was worth it. The management was kind but made sure that I did my job every shift. Ultimately, I learned how to better work as part of a team and how to meet the needs of individuals in customer service. Working at Walmart was a worthwhile experience.
poor work life balance, culture of having to watch your back and pretend to agree with the boss
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
Work life balance is very poor. Only get two days off together once a month. You are expected to work every long weekend. Wednesday was normal day off and yet market leader would call meetings and conference calls anyways and we were expected to attend. Worked a closing shift on Tuesdays as Store manager yet market leader would hold mandatory calls on Tuesday mornings at times and we were expected to get on it from home. On days off we were still expected to know exactly what was happening in our store. Had to be accessable by phone 24/7.
Pros
Good pay; good bonus
Cons
24/7 work mentality cause they pay us well
Fun Happy place to work with family values
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2016
As a place to work in general my experience with Walmart has been a good one. That is until recently. Now I find myself looking for another place to work which will better relate to my family needs as new management that has come into that store is not very concerned about his employee's family welfare. The store I worked last at has become a very stressful environment compared to the other locations I have worked in. They do however have a worthwhile benefit package and 3 kinds of profit sharing available.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great company, advancement opportunities
Cons
Individual store managers may not identify with you
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 6, 2016
A lot of improvements must be done, People who works here sometimes don't get enough training.
It is a fun workplace because of the people, but some of the employees are only trying to be here for hours and not to work, which saddens me before, because the company is paying them, but they barely work.
For me, they should have a Stern but Firm management, so their reputation can improve.
Pros
You can always have overtime
Cons
Don't give not enough training to their employees
very productive, team effort, and serious when it comes to getting the job done
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 7, 2016
customer would come in and out, no problems are created when dealing with the customers. learned how to deal with customers, time management, and how to work well with others. standing for hours because management wasn't great was the hardest part of the job. with breaks and most enjoyable would be dealing with my nice customers and working with the employees.
Pros
nice breaks
Cons
dealing with management
Improved basic math
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Constant engagement with costumers, learned how to help as much as possible and was as polite and respectful as i could. Had daily costumers that mutually enjoyed each others company. The work site was uncomfortable at times, no one wanted to engage with each other or create a necessary friendship. Being at the cash register, and constantly standing for eight hours was never a bother. i enjoyed seeing costumers enjoy how fact paced i was and connected i would be with their small talk.
Pros
Listening and engaging with daily costumers
Cons
No connections with co-workers or the managment
Working at Wal-mart.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PESeptember 16, 2016
It was a really simple job, of course there were always obstacles but it was always repetitive work which I found was easiest. My co-workers were extremely friendly and out going and so were my managers which made it a wonderful place to work. I learned a lot of social skills through out my experience. The hardest part was dealing with upset customers but I always tried my best to make sure that they felt welcome and tried my best to resolve the situation. Overall it was an amazing job.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Upset people