Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,721 reviews matching the search
not the worst place i have worked. :)
Courtesy Desk/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON16 February 2017
Not the worst place I have worked. I have years of management experience but, BUT, I cannot get a management position. Was told I need to "put" my time in. Doesn't seem like a good business model to me.
Wal-Mart does not have many full time employees, good job for people who need a second income or are going to school.

I have found there is a lot of "passing the buck" and it flows down. No ownership by management. if you need a job this one is as good as any.
Pros
a generous Employee Discount Programs : phone/ internet - hotels etc.
Cons
no full time hours. Have to hustle to get 35 hours a week
Friendly, Team building, Protocol and Benefits
Part-time associate in the produce department (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 February 2017
There was always something to do and work was never done. Early mornings we a constant and allowed for the staff to hit the floor and bomb product into the correct position and under the correct signage. During the regular hours it was nice to help customers, stay out of their way and constantly cycle product. Staff and management were always open to suggestions and ready to direct the correct procedure. Opening and closing had repeatable methods that ensured the quality and quantity of stock.
Pros
Team and lonely work
Cons
Not producing, understaffed (high turnover)
Wonderuful job if you are a student
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2017
It is a great job, the managers are some of the best people I've ever worked for, they have big hearts and are fun to work with. However you are incredibly underpaid for the amount of hours and work you put into the job. You have so many responsibilities and have to deal with a lot of backlash all for minimum wage. Aside from certain managers who are always appreciative there are quite a few who do not recognize the things you do and take advantage of it. I found myself working 55 hour weeks trying to help improve the company and I barely received any thank you's.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Underpaid
It was a very Fast paced but fun experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 February 2017
Working at Wal-Mart was my most successful career thus far. I genuinely enjoyed working there because they find a good balance between work life and personal life. They gave good hours and were flexible with the schedule that was made.

The coworkers were also fun people to work with that made my job fun. These things all made me want to come to work. Also, the customers at Wal-Mart were also very nice people.

I rarely had any conflicts with customers because I know how to diffuse a situation and properly listen to the customer explaining their problem.
Pros
Good breaks
High Volume Cashier Plus Credit Promotion
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Goderich, ON23 January 2017
Very busy frontend for cashiers and customer service. Point of sale transactions cash, debit, and credit. Promotional incentive for customers to apply for the company MasterCard. Customer can pay off transaction on company card in the next transaction. Promotion gives customer a percentage in cash rewards. Cashiers paid incentive for each application approved.
Pros
Christmas luncheons, casual dress ticket for multiple sign ups
Cons
No full time postions
Very productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC26 January 2017
Walmart was overall a wonderful first job.The work itself was very tiring, you had to constantly be working and dealing with customers. Walmart, Kirkland is a very busy place considering it is one of the biggest and busiest in all of Quebec. It taught me a lot on how to handle tough situations quickly and also how to manage my time wisely. Having this job was a great opportunity and kept me learning new things every single day. My least favorite part was that management wasn't too considerate about their employees lives beyond work place. They overall weren't easily approachable (not all of them but most of them)
Pros
Free lunchs, Bonus paychecks, Benefits
Cons
Long, very busy hours.
Great opportunity
Meat Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON9 February 2017
I worked as a meat associate and was required to re-stock meat repeatedly during one shift. I was also required to conduct a regular temperature check as required by company policy in order to ensure all of the products were being held and maintained correctly. My management was a little difficult in terms of schedule flexibility because it was hard for me to balance a 25 hour work week being a full-time student. This was actually the reason I had to resign from position.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management
Lot's of opportunity for advancement
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON15 February 2017
At Walmart, if you have the right attitude, you can go as far as you like. With so many different departments I was able to transfer when I needed a change. The workplace itself had a bit of a gossip problem, but you're going to find that everywhere. Management maintained their open door policy, and the company itself has a lot of resources for its workforce. I enjoyed my time here, the experience I gained as well as the meaningful relationships are invaluable.
was a good group of people i worked with
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
started off by receiving a trailer of good, set up the pallets around the conveyor belt and would usually take 1-3 hours to unload depending on size of the shipment and how well it was organised,
once the pallets were filled with merchandise we would use a pallet jack to move them onto the sales floor for the stock crew to do there job,
at the end of the day would clean the back of the receiving bay and go home.
Pros
was a great environment
Cons
expectations vs reality
Hard work decent pay
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 February 2017
The refrigerated environment was tough to get used to. I learned how to drive a center-rider MHE but they don't give you a certificate they they only put it on your work badge so you cant take the skill with you when you leave lol. Management was pretty reasonable as long as you do the job correctly. They will help you get on track as long as they see that you are trying. The job itself is pretty hard on the body. The thing that I liked most is that its so active that I didn't need to pay for a gym.
Very good place to work.
Overnight Stocking associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 January 2017
Walmart is one of the biggest company in North America.It is great place to work on. I liked everything from my very first day till present. I worked almost every department in the single store. I learned many things such as: self organization, team work, control attitude and self motivation. I met many good people. If anybody asks me about place to work,Walmart would definitely be one of the best. Why I want to leave such good place. Well, I'm looking for new experience.
Pros
Profit share
not a very good place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC20 January 2017
- always told to do jobs other than your own, not giving you the time to do your own job, then becoming annoyed with you for not getting your job done

- Department managers are always called up to work on the tills, because they don't ever schedule enough cashiers

- always reducing your hours even though you were guaranteed full-time @ 37.5/week

- always changing your schedule to make you work hours and days you didn't agree to work

- the manager and any number of the 7 or 8 assistant managers who happen to be working can either be found sitting in McDonalds having coffee or sitting in the office chatting and laughing
awesome place to work.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON27 January 2017
I was hired on as a store standards so my day would start in the morning and I would start by cleaning the bathrooms sweeping the store cleaning up spills, helping customers with heavy lifting and I would set up displays and greet everybody with a smile and never say no to anyone who would ask for my help or were they could find something they needed or looking for. and I would go outside and get carts to bring in the store because in this busnes customers need carts to shop.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Not a bad place, I guess
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS6 February 2017
A typical day at work consisted of going into work and finding out you are understaffed again and have unreasonable job times to meet your quota on work. as well as listening to people complain about the company and how bad it is.

all of that aside they provide a good amount of training for a new associate and are willing to help you until your skills are up to snuff.

over all i enjoyed the work and the company.
Pros
good amount of breaks and long lunch break. good training, good hours, fair wages
Cons
unreasonable expectation from head office.
Where people go to work when they feel terrible
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC6 February 2017
Walmart is the most stressful and depressing company I have ever worked for. The management was awful and ended up getting a mass-firing shortly after I quit working there. The other employees were always sad and never cared about their work leading to poor quality and more useless stress. Their training system is incredibly weak for such a giant company.

Don't work at Walmart unless you have no other options in life.
Pros
A small amount of money for easy tasks
Cons
Terrible Managers, Terrible Employees
uncoordinated
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 February 2017
a typical day at Walmart consist of me aiding and helping customers with there individual needs weather its answering questions about certain product or helping the elderly customers lift heavy items to there car after purchase. the most enjoyable part of the job was I got a lot of hours working there.i would page for help and the managers would arrive hours later.i had to switch my schedule to part time after a while because I was going back to school and it was difficult for the managers to approve my request I had sent in weeks in advance.
Pros
I had 10hr shifts majority of the time which was nice and steady
Cons
uncoordinated enviroment
Great people, awful company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 February 2017
The studio was a great place to work, some days extremely fun, others very boring. The business changed and they began demanding people be conned into packages that they didn't want nor could afford. We we not allowed to be creative nor bring in items that were not part of the usual package. I learned that kids and families are hard to make smile all at once, but sometimes the best shots were the ones that were destined for the trash.
Pros
Fun and creative enviroment
Cons
Extremely long hours
Good place to work with good shifts
Order Picker/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB27 January 2017
During my shift I would do the picking jobs as described in my resume. I would pick orders for individual Walmart stores located from Manitoba to British Columbia.
There were no really hard parts of the job, it was challenging at first but the more you did the tasks, the easier it got.
Pros
Gift cards were handed out for Christmas, stars for keeping the warehouse clean and doing your picks correctly.
Cons
At times the freezer was cold.
Always Productive,Knowledgeable and great team work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sagehill NW Calgary11 January 2017
With Walmart Everyday and even every moment is to learn something. This is the most important part of any job if you always learn new things day by day. Walmart gives a lot of opportunities to their associates and the best thing is the environment in which you work alone and in a team as well. the most enjoyable thing is to cooperate each other to help the customers and customer service is a great opportunity to learn things in a great way.
Awesome employers, with friendly coworkers, overall great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 January 2017
I would usually start at 6:45 opening the store, clock in/out, get my assigned register, count my till, change the papers, put cash bags in all registers, put out new merchandise, greeted customers, cleaned conveyor belts, pushed for walmart mastercards, cashed out customers.

Learned how to use a different type of cash register than what i was used to, how to properly bag groceries

management was great except for one occasion which is also the reason i no longer work for walmart

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers, they were friendly and always helpful

The job was relatively stress free
Pros
Lots of hours, Plenty of time for lunch