Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 4,045 reviews matching the search
Efficient, well organized company
Produce Stocker/Photo Lab Technician/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ONMarch 17, 2016
Working with other staff and management is very efficient. The goals of the day are clear and precise and the job you are meant to be doing is very organized. Working at Walmart I've learned great customer service experience, techniques in being outgoing and approachable, effective in resolving issues, the ability to think on the spot, and work with other people in being an overall great team. The hardest part of the job is satisfying the customer when we are out of certain items when the policy is satisfaction guaranteed. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work along side great co workers and being able to satisfy the customers.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Minimal benefits
Productive workplace with many employee appreciation events.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Walmart is a great place to work, the environment is good and you can easily make friends and be cooperatives with your co-workers. There were a lot of events for different amounts of days without accidents as well as for holidays. Management was very understanding and accommodating to those with health issues or injuries.

The hardest part of the job was promoting the Walmart Mastercard. Having to ask every customer every day can sometimes invoke anger within people and this is understandable but we must ask anyway. For some people, it is really easy to promote the Mastercard and for others, it's nearly impossible.

The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers when I could and feeling like I made a difference.
Pros
Good benefits for employees (cheaper rates for hotels, phone bills, etc.)
Cons
Tiny amount of full-time jobs. No real Benefits.
Extremely fast paced, monotonous
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
I developed the ability to meet quota in a very fast environment but the work was very monotonous. The management there was very sloppy but the managers were quite friendly same with the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was at the beginning trying to meet quota and learn the organization system at a fast pace. for the last part the most enjoyable part of the job I suppose the decent salary and going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Vending machines
Cons
10 hour days, broken machines
Average work - Few real issues.
Store Standards Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 23, 2016
The work asked of myself as a custodian/store standards associate is not difficult by any means. Cleaning the floors and public spaces is necessary and, while not stimulating or glamorous, is something I am able to take pride in - seeing the extreme differences of the state of the store from the beginning of my shift, compared to the end.

My coworkers both within store standards and other departments are respectful and professional - while still being easy going and friendly.
Pros
Overnight Premiums
Cons
Few benefits
Fun place to work. Very systematic job.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Very systematic work. still you will never be bored. Meet new people everyday. I learned how to deal with different kind of people, with wide range of complaints and concerns. It is easy to reach management when needed. Co workers are very helpful all the time. The hardest part is at the end of the day you are totally exhausted, it takes 100% of your energy everyday. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people.
Pros
10% employee discount on beverything
Cons
Very low salary
Great people, but management needs work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCDecember 4, 2015
I got to work with some great people, however, the schedules were everywhere. Management had started out great, but after my first two years there it drastically went downhill. Little room was given for any advancement, excuses were made to give no more then a $0.30 raise/year to the associates, and there ended up not being enough people to be able to properly provide the best customer experience necessary. Often having one associate covering 4+ departments, as well as having to help on till. After our store became a Super Centre, most peoples hours were cut to 12/week, while they hired more people but didn't increase anyones hours.

Overall, it started out fairly enjoyable, but that quickly went downhill and left many feeling they didn't have much for job security or much worth.
Though, at least I was lucky enough to have an amazing department manager.
Enjoy being busy the entire shift.
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCDecember 9, 2015
My only negative remarks about Walmart are:

1. Favoritism
2. Poor chance of advancement
3. Have always felt if employees are treated well, their performance would be above expectation.

I worked day shift for some time then transferred to overnights (which I worked until I left and relocated back to the Mainland).

There were alot of reports to do, depending which department you worked in, but that was never an issue. I learned alot from my time at Walmart - operating cash register, taking inventory etc., My previous employment was 30 years in operations of a trucking company running between Canada and the U. S.
Pros
great group of employees
Cons
salary not paid according to one's performance
Good Place to work if you like repetitive tasks - Horrible Hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 7, 2015
Job Work/Life Balance: I asked for 20 hours originally, but am currently getting 25 average, even after a month of or so of new hires (I have only seen 2 so far), and we are horribly understaffed (Which looks like it wont be fixed ever). I STRONGLY recommend giving a review after the first month because I didn't start feeling the pain in my legs until after about a month. I have been given 8 hours in a row twice now, on the weekend.

Salary/Benefits - After 3 months you get a 10% discount, which is meh.

Job Security/Advancement - Asked to go into the sales associate for electronics and nothing happened for 3 whole days (Communication is horrid). Eventually I found the manager and asked if he had received my resume. He hadn't even though I personally put it in the mailbox.

Management - Only problem is that they don't get to registers fast enough, but this could be for a variety of reasons that is not connected to them personally.

Job Culture - This is pretty much aced. I love the people around be and have only experienced 1 or 2 bad apples.
Flexable hours, Paid Training and ablity to learn diffrent roles
Store Standards Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Good Hours really Great People always willing to lend a hand both mangers and employees were very friendly and Helpful.
Pros
Good hours, good pay raise, good team.
Cons
sometimes customers can be difficult but that happens in everystore.
Safe and productive work environment
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Staff was very easily to get along with
Management was very fair
I learned quick and efficient skills in handling sales
Hardest part of my job was the constant busy days, very few slow days.
Yet that was the most enjoyable because it always kept me working and occupied.
benefits
Cons
low staff
Big retail store
Night crew maintenance/ floor cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 25, 2016
light and routine job
work with different races
hard working and tough managers
some if not all they are friendly co-workers
working night shift i thought I cant do it.
year end bonus
Pros
Benefits and close to my place
Cons
Night job
It was really great at first
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Would I go back: Yes I would.

Walmart was my first job and I have to say you can learn a lot there.
I got a good amount of training and felt confident on the cash register when I did it on my own for the first time. They generally care about their new employees and how well they do.

You get to meet and talk to new people all the time and learn about products you never knew about. You are also up to date with all sales going on which was an added bonus. Most of the CSM's were really amazing and I feel bad when there's only one and it gets busy.

The job is simple and straight forward. The only thing I disliked was the Walmart Mastercard. Towards the end of my time there, they were pushing it onto us way too much to the point it was giving me bad anxiety, causing me to leave. I was okay asking about it but Im not someone to really push it onto people since I know how uncomfortable it is when someone tries to force something onto me.

I felt the store was better off with the original manager as she was the sweetest person in the world. When they changed things around, things just went downhill. All he seemed to care about is how many apps for the mastercard there was rather than employee and customers happiness.
Pros
10% discount, Long breaks, Work experience, above minimum wage
Cons
Walmart Mastercard, no benefits, no opportunities for full time or advancement.
Great Co-workers
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
Job is fun, lots of experience to get. Management needs an overhaul and there is a lot of politics. But for the most part amazing associates.
Pros
On Hand Experience
Cons
Low pay, small benefits
Good exposure
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 9, 2016
It was my pleasure to work in Walmart. Learned lot of new skills by interacting with customers, organizing ,following proper procedures for handling claims for merchandise and guidelines for clearance, mark-ups- downs, signage, flagging and pricing labels and on emergency and safety procedures.
Pros
customer service oriented
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Good Co-Workers horrible bosses
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
I worked with Wal-Mart Canada for 6 months. Their benefits and break system are good. I loved my fellow co-workers. The managers slacked and when you told them a problem, they never tried to fix it.

On a typical day I dealt with customer questions and problems. I talked about video games and game consoles as well as television mainly because I worked in the electronics department.

I loved that it was always busy so that I was not sitting around bored but I hated the fact that one time I had a drunk co-worker and the managers did nothing.
Pros
Break systems, long hours
Cons
Poor Managment
Absolutely displeased.
Meat Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
After working there for two months, and getting fired for getting injured. I've learned, that all the employees are miserable, unless new. The majority of the employees or associates do next to nothing productive. Than when it comes down to the work the hardest worker is the one who has to fix it, and deal with getting in trouble for other peoples habits.
I was wrongfully dismissed, and can do absolutely nothing about it, as even though they act like your best friend. Say that you work hard, if you cost them anything, you're gone, unless you've been there over three months. I do not suggest working for Walmart in the slightest.
Pros
Every once in a while we got donuts at the morning meeting
Cons
Associates, Staff, Work ethic, managers, etc
Great staff to work with
Cashier, Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 24, 2015
It is environment that requires employees to communicate and serve clients in a fast-paced environement. The hardest part of the job would to be able constantly lift heavy merchandise, stand for long hours and deal with customers that may not always be pleasant to communicate with.
Pros
Great place to learn new skills
Cons
Part-timers do not get benefits.
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 16, 2016
Everyday is exciting and no two days are ever alike. My work day involves everything from leading my team towards continuous improvement to ensuring that our store is ready for the customer and doing the absolutely best we can to please them. Because the retail industry is changing so fast there is always a better more profitable way to do things. Its very exciting. Of all the locations I've worked at for this company, currently I'm thrilled to be part of one of the best management teams Ive ever worked with, enjoyable and productive. Where I get the most pleasure from my job is serving customers and meeting their needs and expectations . Making their particular experience with me and my team,a positive, successful shopping experience that will bring them back.
Pros
continuous learning
Cons
Long Hours
Good Management
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
benefits are good
lot of things to learn
10% discount
motivational work environment
fast paced working environment
career growth
New direction is the wrong direction!
Lead/Duty Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ONApril 1, 2016
In my 6 year career with Walmart I was a committed and engaged Manager. The new direction of the company "do more with less" is not conducive the a decent work-life balance and it has become all about the bottom line at the cost of the Associates - cut backs to hours and promises that never come to fruition.
They have no competition to beat out of the market...they can afford to treat their Associates with dignity and respect and a decent hourly wage.