Walmart

Walmart Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
stocking
Overnight stocker (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 19, 2014
Pros: free midnight dinners
Cons: not paid enough
you learn lots so when you go grocery shopping you learn where to find things
Excellent Place to work
Pharmacist (Current Employee), Belleville, ONAugust 19, 2014
Excellent place to work and gain experience. Great coworkers. Fast-paced work environment.
good workplace helpful supervisors
Associate (Former Employee), Prince Rupert, BCAugust 19, 2014
Pros: 10% discount
I learned many new skills in the customer service industry coworkers were very nice and helpful when i didnt know how to do something right they showed me the proper way to do tasks hardest part of my job was that i was too shy i think enjoyable part was hearing from the supervisors how well i was doing at my job
Horrible Experience
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2014
Pros: chance to make friends.
Cons: non-paid lunches, rude employees, horrible customer service.
I've been working here for almost a year now and have had no place for advancement, the employees in the store are absolutely rude except in my tiny department. The managers don't come to calls or even give good hours. There is absolutely NO chance at getting legitimate full-time. Except Full-time hours with part-time wage and that means NO benefits. – more... How does one survive off Walmart wage? They'd have to be FULL-TIME and working there over 10 years! 30 cent raises every year???! It's not worth it. I used to like it at the beginning, because I started around Christmas, more hours, more money. But as soon as it hit February/March, things changed and it's not worth struggling to live over. – less
Fun friendly work place
CLERK cashier (Former Employee), cornwall ontAugust 18, 2014
Pros: see new people everyday
Cons: long hours
worked the cash and looked after customers had designated work stations were i maintained the stock on shelves and displays while helping customers find items even in other departments.
how to work side by side with a designated team of coworkers and maintaining a good and safe work enviroment. the hardest part was trying to help cutomers who needed – more... things that were in a department that i was unfamiliar with.
but the one thing i enjoyed was meeting new people and working with great friendly coworkers – less
quiet fun work place.
Overnight Stock Associate Walmart (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCAugust 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches and we got 3 breaks
Cons: long hours and no enough people working.
Working for Walmart was great but they did lack workers so instead of 4 people in the freezer, it would be just me working on it alone. The managers were ok but they did expect a lot and sometimes yelled because we wernt meeting their expectations, but how can they get mad when they dont have enough people working for them. The only thing you can do – more... at walmart and any other kind of job is to do your very best! – less
good place to work
Cash office associate (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONAugust 16, 2014
Pros: the job
Cons: childish staff
good customers, poor management some employees are ok.. most act like high school kids. loved my job not my co-workers
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service - Directs Associate (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 16, 2014
This a well structured job following Walmart's policies and guidlines. A typical day includes receiving all daily direct shipments coming in to the company and processing them. There is also interaction with customers on the sales floor dealing with requests and concerns. The job is well structured and easy to learn and perform.
Not the best place to apply too
Store Standards Associate (Student Part-Time) (Current Employee), Markham, ONAugust 15, 2014
I think walmart managers need to work on there personal skills and communication with associates rather than putting them down because sometimes you have to wonder why they have policies they do not follow.
Rollercoaster
Stocking Associate-Produce (Current Employee), BrantAugust 15, 2014
Co-workers vary, some are very supportive and work with me, others blame the hard working ones for their slack that doesn't get picked up. Mostly a matter of young vs. old.

Recently, with the changes in the company we lost our department manager, we had no manager for a while, it was chaos. We got back a previous associate as our department manager – more... who does an incredible job working with us and we had temporary assistant managers above him, all these managers (in my opinion) maintained a great balance between indiscriminate fairness, and understanding that we have lives outside of the job. Now, our managers micromanage us as if we don't know how our job is supposed to be done OR they're no where to be found on the floor in the evenings despite the store hiring more managers so we can easily find one.

Over the last month I've been yelled at twice by managers because of conflicting directions, my schedule for three weeks has gone against my availability, and I've been working all closing shifts alone and expected to complete a work load of 2-3 people. There is no room for advancement in my department to even a full time position, yet there is a full-time person on an indefinite leave of absence and there are jobs available on the website for more managers (while we already have an over-abundance). I would not recommend applying to work here at this point in time. – less
Fun place to work with fun people
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2014
Pros: direct contact with customers, profit sharing
Cons: no union, too much favoritism, low salary
Wal-mart was a fun part-time job to have when I was in school. The people I worked with were nice and it was nice being able to help customers shop. I loved that part of the job especially, since I got so many compliments from customers on how much of help I was to them, as well as compliments saying that I was the fastest cashier in the store. That – more... really made me love going into work everyday. After finishing school, I requested less weekend shifts and more weekday shifts, which I didn't get and so I found a full-time mon-fri job that made more sense for my lifestyle. Wal-mart's hourly wage was low and other employees got paid more for doing the same job which I didn't think was fair, however, Wal-mart was really good at giving their employees a generous number of hours every week to work, so we all went home with a decent paycheck regardless of our hourly wage. It was very difficult to move up in the company as their was no union, favoritism was very common in many cases. – less
Very nice but not too much fun
Cashier, Sales Support (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 14, 2014
Multitask
selling jewelry
making sure that the show case was always stock
dealing with customer
managing staff
keep track of the jewelry
Fast Paced
Photo Lab Manager (Former Employee), Clarenville, NLAugust 13, 2014
Pros: my wage
Cons: when the kodak equipment went down
Day at work-
-Busy
-Worked alone a lot
Learned to be patient and offer excellent customer service
-Work as team is essential
-Hardest part is to discipline others
-I enjoyed meeting new people and giving the best service to my customer- seeing them leave with a smile made my day.
Hectic work environment with little to no concern for lower level employees
front end cashier (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioAugust 13, 2014
Pros: guaranteed to get paid a little bit more than minimum wage
Cons: inconsistent hours, poor management, lack of respect for employees
I would not recommend working at Walmart unless it's a last resort, honestly. Stores are always understaffed. You're either asked to work too many hours, or too few, and it doesn't matter if you work more than 35 hours a week, you'll always be stuck in part-time. They tell you you can move up if you work hard, but almost all potential job opportunities – more... are lateral in terms of pay despite being more work. Not to mention, customers are usually abusive, and management's only suggestion is always "just deal with it". The only thing I liked about working there was handing stickers to people's kids. – less
I love to learn and grow
Seasonal/Garden Centre/Pets Department Manager (Current Employee), Brantford, ONAugust 12, 2014
Pros: charitable events, potluck lunches
I enjoy what I do interacting with customers has always been something I have been great at. The 13 years I have worked there I have never received a customer complaint.
I have learned how to multi-task, complete jobs in a timely manner as well as prioritize my daily tasks.
The one thing I enjoy the most is staying busy. My position has constant changes – more... as the seasons come and go which has taught me how to accept and adapt to change.
My management team has been great they see potential in me and always are going out of their way to give me advice on how to develop. They recently gave me the opportunity to complete an assistant manager assessment so that I could improve on any areas needed.
The company has allowed me to take part in many charitable events. This past year I took part in the Wal-Mart Walk for Miracles in which I was blessed to raise $1020.00 myself which was such a great feeling because I was the #1 fundraiser for the store. – less
It was good experience working with Big Retail Store
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 11, 2014
Pros: challenging, learning new things day to day etc
Cons: less chances to grow
Being in Management Position it was nice working with Superiors and always learn new things related to company policies and always enjoyed working whatever assigned.
Productive and fun workplace
Chasier/Customer Service (Former Employee), BramptonAugust 11, 2014
Pros: discount card
Cons: long hours
• Primary roles included- Greeting customer and after greeting continue to serve the customer by scanning items, scanning coupons, applying discounts, processing payments, and ringing up sales on the computerized cash registers.
• Customer Service- Being a cashier your duties included knowing various aspects of customer service, also take responsibility – more... for handling returns, and answering questions about merchandise, store policies, and ongoing promotions.
• Also during slow hours we would also be expected to sometimes assist sales and stock associates with remedial tasks. – less
Fun work place
Cashier, customer help, & people greeter (Current Employee), Walmart at Kenaston boulevard, Winnipeg MBAugust 11, 2014
While working at walmart as a Front Cashier its a great place to have fun , i got experience working as a cashier, Customer Service, networking , excellent team work, very nice management, lots of flexibility.
fast paced and high tension
Customer Services Specialist (Current Employee), Brockville, ONAugust 10, 2014
I worked at Walmart for 8 years and had positions in many areas in the store. I had multiple responsibilities and a large area of the store to maintain. I worked the afternoon shift, so I had to know how to cut keys, process ammunition sales, and mix paint. Every few hours I needed to walk a third of the store and make sure there were no safety concerns, – more... I was relied on to do propane exchanges and cover breaks and lunches in many outlying departments. I love customer service so I enjoyed my job, but Walmart seems to be trying to cut costs, and as a result hours are cut and there are fewer and fewer people on the floor to help - as one full timer leaves, they aren't replaced adequately, part timers are fired. As a result, customers don't get the help they need and are frustrated by the inconvenience.My direct manager would benefit from a little perspective, expectations were too high. I couldn't work there again, simply because it's unhealthy, the amount of stress and tension put on one person. – less
Fast paced
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Brockville, ONAugust 10, 2014
Pros: 10% discount
Cons: only a 10% discount
Majority of the positions are very repetitive but somewhat enjoyable as you progress working for Walmart. Management is pretty good at Walmart and ability to change shifts aren't difficult. Overall its a good place to work/

1 2 3 4 5

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more