Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,744 reviews matching the search
Good place to work if you can be patient with customers.
Hardlines Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work is putting toys back on the shelves and re-organizing them to make the products easily accessible to customers. Will also include being frequently called up to the front cash registers to cover breaks and help out when it is busy.
The hardest part of the job is the customers, but it is also the most enjoyable part. People can get extremely frustrated at you over things you have no control over. However, some customers are really grateful after you help them, which is definitely nice.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Days feel repetitive.
Pretty good place to work ,easy going co-workers,managers
Over Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSMay 21, 2016
The job is fairly easy just stocking shelves in departments, working nights can be hard but I handle it really well and still have a good work/life balance.Co-workers and managers are easy to get along with and make the job easier to handle. There is quite a bit of physical labour and that is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
constantly busy so work goes by quick and job is not very difficult
Cons
sometimes hours get cut back and i only work 24 hours a week instead of 40
Worst place i've worked in quite some time.
Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Stettler, ABMay 3, 2016
They say that the company cares about the employee, and will do what they can for them, this can't be more un-true. Since starting at store 1034 i was promised full-time ect only to be told 5 months later that i'm part-time and am not aloud to work 5 days a week, so that being said i've only been scheduled 3 days a week which makes it so i can't pay rent or my important bills. So if you plan on working at Walmart be sure you go through everything more than once to be sure you're not screwed over like i was along with more than a few other associates that i work with.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
everything else
Minimum wage to work in an environment lacking motivation and room for growth
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 29, 2016
• Repetitive and mundane .
• How to handle certain loading and unloading equipment, like pump trucks.
• Management was demanding as opposed to encouraging, except for 2-3 exceptions.
• Co-workers were helpful when I was learning the job.
• Being motivated to complete tasks in an uninspiring work environment, surrounded by a majority of co-workers who feel the same way.
• Met some co-workers that I connected with.
• Did not learn or improve upon any transferable skills.
Pros
Got paid, kept me busy
Cons
Poor management, minimum wage, poor working atmosphere
Productive and exceptional.
Dry Grocery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 14, 2016
A typical day at work is too help the customer find what they need, making sure to upkeep on the merchandise on the shelves, and filing reports to the unloading crew if stock is running low. Learned about product display techniques like "facing". Management was very professional and nice. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was working too many days in a row on school days. The most enjoyable part was helping customers.
Pros
Helping Customers, Co-Workers.
Cons
Working too much on school days.
Fast paced and understaffed
UNLOADER (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCMay 9, 2016
Working it at walmart has its ups and downs. Im in the pursue of a nice job because working as an unloader at walmart we are over worked because we are always under-staffed and often have to stay overtime to finish the work and most time don't get some our breaks or breaks are cut in half. The job is also extremely physically demanding, constantly unloading heavy boxes up to 100lbs and moving heavy skids throughout the day.
Pros
job security
Cons
Long hours/ same shifts
Fun workplace and it was very easy to get along with all management and staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running the cash register. When there were no customers, I would put stock out on the shelves or help the customer service desk put returns away. The staff and co-workers were very easy to get along with. I learned how to better interact with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with wonderful people and the hardest part of the job was meeting the scans per hour.
Pros
lots of breaks, great hours
Titles and routine
Walmart - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 26, 2016
Overnight Electronics Associate, 2009-2010
Renovation Team Associate, 2010-2011
Sports (Hardware, Automotive, Pets and Paints) Associate, 2008-2008
Customer Service Associate, 2007-2008
Lady’s wear Associate, 2006-2007
Every job at Walmart is pretty much the same. Show up, find out what you need to do for the day from your manager (because everyone has one) Then do the list of things given for the day. there was high turn over and not a lot of room for socializing.
Pros
1 hour lunchs
Cons
10% discount
Overall a good employer with opportunities for advancement.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden HorseshoeApril 27, 2016
My day consisted with the interaction of the pharmacy/optical teams and store management team. A typical day would be to coach, teach and review operational and financial activities.
On my store visits I would include interacting with the staff and providing direction on merchandising and professional issues.
The enjoyable part of the job allowed me to be independent and interact with the many people that worked in the front store and other departments.
The hardest part of the job was to try and visit more stores on a regular basis due to the geographic size of the district.
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
Long hours, but managable.
Productive environment with great resources
Produce Stocker (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
heavy lifting
Very unorganized workplace. No structure.
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was not typical in any way. I never knew from one minute to the next if I was going to be able to complete my task at hand before I was told to leave it and go onto another. Once pulled from said task, the manager that had originally put me on it would come yelling at me as to why I didn't finish what he asked before moving on to present task. It was all very stressful and there was no way in those conditions, to do my job to a satisfactory level. I felt I was being purposely pushed out due to my physical disabilities that made it hard to place me during renovations.
Pros
great fellow employees
Cons
worst manged store I've ever seen.
Machoism, arrogance, unsupportive
Overnight Stock/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 4, 2016
Employees acted unjustifiably arrogant and superior to newcomers, management drops the ball on training, employees are rude to new employees who are attempting to learn processes, assigned overwhelming work early on while my experienced individuals worked inefficiently. Culture developed by employees and not monitored by management is full of machoism and and unsupportive qualities.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Rude employees, poor management, excessive untrained and unsupportive tasks
There are definitely worse places to work
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 21, 2016
Employees are friendly and easy to get along with, and most managers are pretty easygoing, but my experience with this place in regard to the workload was very intense. There were several different occasions where I was performing three or more tasks at once (i.e. customer service while dragging loads of carts, while managers were calling for spill cleanups and washroom cleanups, etc,).
Pros
Discount on store items
Cons
Very long hours
Safe and respectable work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
Day starts by walking from clocking in, to the tilt which you will be in for rest of the day. Greeting co-workers and customers just showing a little appreciation. One of my favorite thing is learning new experiences, skills and mass general education. As a wal-mart cashier, I learned it's difficult to sell master cards to customers and also learned, people don't know what they want till you give them a idea of it. managers didn't treat the employees like robots, they had a relationship with them. enjoyable part of the work is working with well developed individuals that help you grow each and everyday.
Productive work place and excellent working eviroment
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
My day starts 7.am to 3.30.pm. First thing is to check my email for any updates. Then I print my daily's paper work and open claims report. Next is to work on return merchandise from customers. Attend morning meetings at 9.am, go for 15 minutes first break.
After break, I get my UPS, Purolator and ATS parcels ready for pickup. Back to the office faxing and calling vendors for return authorization number in other to finalize my claims. 12.pm - 1.pm I go for Lunch.
After Lunch, I work of product returns and defective merchandise till closing.
A secure and flexible work envirnment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Agincourt, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would include constant customer service interaction that ranged from aiding the customer in locating what they are looking for, to maintaining pleasant conversation, to finally taking in store compliments, as well as taking affirmative action to remedy the situation when compliments do occur. I learned to development great people skills as well as maintain an exceptional work ethic at all times of my shifts. The best part of the job is the constant interaction I experience with customers. I am able to meet incredible new individuals daily whilst still maintaining an appropriate work demeanor.
Fun people to work with but lackluster management
Store Standards / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONApril 20, 2016
A typical day for me is pretty much bringing in carts my entire shift as they never have more than one store standards on at a time.

At Wal-Mart I learned to get out of my comfort zone and to be less shy.

The management lack in communication as well as not following threw with what they say.

All my co-worker at Wal-Mart are great, almost everyone worker is a joy to work with.

The hardest part of my job was having to do multiple jobs not in my job description at the same time while having to do my own job as well.

The most enjoyable part of my job is all the people I work with and get to meet.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Bad communication
Very fast pasted
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 16, 2016
Walmart is a popular clothing store, so the work was fast pasted, I liked this about Walmart.
I learned how to delegate and manage cashiers. I also learned how to balance cash registers.
Management was great, but busy with their work.
My co-workers were fun and a great support
The hardest part of the job was having to run around from one end of the store to the other. ( The super centres are huge.) and the clean up after closing the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people.
Pros
Meeting new people, management and co-workers
Cons
Running from one end of the large super center to the other and closing clean up
Management either likes you or they don't
Deli, Dairy, Sports/Auto, Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 12, 2016
I applied for Walmart because I needed a job. I was going to look for another job and quit Walmart within a couple months. I liked the people and the job so i never ended up looking for a new job. Things were good until about 2 and a half months ago. Walmart changed so much, I went away on a month vacation and no one bother to tell me that they changed 95% of my job description and keep giving me trouble about it. I called out one of the managers in front of a Co-manager and then the co-manager told me what has changed about my job. That's when things started to go downhill. I would recommend Walmart to others for a fun part time job but not for a long period of time for a career.
Working as a sales associate
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 16, 2016
Working as a sales associate has many perks compared to a cashier. Breaks were very flexible and could work around other co-workers. I was able to move around my department area freely, unlike a cashier who must be at their cash register at all times. While working in my department, I would bring out stock from the backroom and empty them out. Then I would create labels for each item so that later we could record what was put out on the shelf. I enjoyed putting the items onto the shelf, it was very relaxing and calming.
Pros
Flexible breaks and hours
Cons
Sore back and feet