Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 4,053 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun workplace with international foods and treats
Costumer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2016
In a tipical day at work I was doing around 9 carts of recovery;
Cleaning the work place;
Organizing the merchandise;
Guiding and giving relations yo costumers.
The management was tough but good.
I had good co-workers. whenever one or another wanted any help, we were helping each other.
the hardeswt part of the job was to work without enough staff available.
the most enjoyable part of the job was to see the result of a job well done.
Pros
1 Bonus in Marchs
Cons
less staff
Overnights at Walmsrt
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 9, 2016
A typical shift begins with a lackluster attempt at moral through reading sales stats. Staff is clearly divided between objective oriented and clock watchers with no reward or consequence for being either. More motivated workers end up supporting those on constant break, just-not-to-be-found or in many cases, sleeping.
I understand minimum wage is not going to inspire 110% every shift but managment could keep on top of this to prevent constant attrition of their better performers.
Pros
cliques of staff bond quickly
Cons
poor work-life balance, poorly trained supervisors and managers, little chance at promotion
Stressful workplace, wonderful co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 15, 2016
My typical day at Walmart would be arriving on time, clocking in to my shift, letting the CSM know I had arrived, and beginning my shift. I loved the interacting between customers and co-workers, the social aspect was definitely a plus to working at Walmart. I learned how to work with others and problem solve. The management team was very unorganized and uncaring, they were not flexible towards their employees schedules. In my opinion the hardest part of working at Walmart as a cashier was dealing with the customers that had no respect for others, they could get aggressively mean and disrespectful towards my co-workers and I.
Pros
10% disscount
Cons
Disresect from managment
Productive Workplce
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCAugust 21, 2016
Walmart is great when it comes to training you and its great to university students. If you do your job well there is room for advancement in the company. I've been working there since last year and I have already been trained for courtesy desk. The staff from the supervisors to the employees are great. Management is very professional yet friendly. A typical day of work is being on a till for 3-4 hours and being on courtesy desk for 2 hours.You learn how to multi task well as well as the supervising staff is great at helping you with anything you may need.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Selling the Walmart mastercards
Work with wonderful people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2016
I loved the clients I got, they loved my work. I was the manager, I really enjoyed it. But I was tossed into the role with no clue what to do. The area manager that was supposed to train me was no help, and didn't care about me, the store, or my clients. She would never show up on time, and if she did, she would be on her phone the entire time. I contacted head office, they didn't care as well. The company had the potential to be great, but lacks motivation.
Pros
people were lovely
Cons
Head office wasn't good. No motivation.
Flexible and friendly workplace environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  square oneJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work is dealing with different customers. I learned that in order to work in a fast paced environment a person must learn to enter work with a positive attitude , leaving behind any personal issues that could conflict . My co workers are very supportive of each other and easy to get a long with. the hardest part of my job is maintaining consistent sales with the walmart card but the most enjoyable is the interaction.
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Pharmacy Associate/ Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 13, 2016
Working for walmart is great.. the staff i work with are an amazing group of people that have helped me learn and grow and to become the employee i am today. The hardest part of the job i find when working in any pharmacy is getting close to patients that later pass on but the best part of my job is coming to work everyday with people i enjoy working with and helping all the patients that we do help! Its a rewarding feeling.
Pros
Helping people.
Cons
Losing patients you have grown attached too.
Very enjoyable place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCAugust 9, 2016
Working at Walmart was very enjoyable, everyone was very nice and very opened to interacting with new employees.
I started off being a cashier, but after working for a month they saw great potential in me so they decided to move me to customer service. I loved that because customer service was much more challenging and there was so much more to the job. I am a very social person so working and interacting with customers and other employees was very enjoyable for me. I love going to work everyday. The only problem is they are not flexible with hours considering im also a full time student.
Sub-Par work experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 7, 2016
I took on a part time job with Walmart, as an opportunity to experience a retail work environment. The Walmart culture pretends to be employee driven, when it is clearly sales and profit driven, at least at the local store level. Managers were inefficient, contradictory and lacked many key abilities for leadership. Store was routinely understaffed, instructions were very poor. I worked for three weeks without meeting my direct manager. In-fighting and personal issues interfered with tasks.
Pros
Possibility for advancement IF you don't question poor practices
Cons
Poor management, poor scheduling, understaffed, bad work culture.
Fast paced and customer service face to face
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 24, 2016
Helping customers with their orders for photos, handling cash and taking payment for photos. Printing photos and developing orders in a specific time line. Working along side staff and management to ensure all customers are helped. Hardest part of the job was explaining to a customer if there order wasn't ready at the time they were given. Example if our printing machines went down. The most enjoyable part of the day was helping each and every customer with a smile.
Pros
learning how to develop photos
Cons
only was a part time postion
Walmart is a fine first job.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2016
Walmart was a stable environment providing most of the resources required to do the needed work, and gave the required training to satisfy customers on a daily basis; Generally everybody worked well together and much was accomplished at the end of the day. Sometimes it was hard to meet expectation, as there was much to do outside of my expected job, but the experience was worth it. The management was kind but made sure that I did my job every shift. Ultimately, I learned how to better work as part of a team and how to meet the needs of individuals in customer service. Working at Walmart was a worthwhile experience.
poor work life balance, culture of having to watch your back and pretend to agree with the boss
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
Work life balance is very poor. Only get two days off together once a month. You are expected to work every long weekend. Wednesday was normal day off and yet market leader would call meetings and conference calls anyways and we were expected to attend. Worked a closing shift on Tuesdays as Store manager yet market leader would hold mandatory calls on Tuesday mornings at times and we were expected to get on it from home. On days off we were still expected to know exactly what was happening in our store. Had to be accessable by phone 24/7.
Pros
Good pay; good bonus
Cons
24/7 work mentality cause they pay us well
Could be better.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 24, 2016
Work at walmart is taxing, mentally more so than physically. Unless you get lucky and get on the fast track to being a manager, you are stuck as a standard employee.

The management, however, is considerate. They do take time to speak with you, and help if they can.

The pay is alright, but could be better, especially with what each employee is asked to do.

Full time is exceedingly hard to get.

Hours are consistent and available enough that you rarely work the minimum required though, and often get more.
Pros
10& Discount
Cons
Personal gratification and worth is hard to come by.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2016
Working at Walmart was a very good experience for me to learn skills required for a quality customer service experience. My Head floor manager was always kind and helpful. The hardest part of the job was to explain to an angry client the policy and why it was that way. MOST OF MY FELLOW TEAM MEMBERS WHERE VERY KIND AS WELL. I really enjoyed working the Customer Service Desk.
Pros
Discount on all store items
Cons
Too short of a lunch break.
productive
Reciever (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 21, 2016
A typical day as a Walmart receiving employer would include receiving shipments of merchandise requiring great effort and dedication to complete. I have learned how to operate work related equipment using a great deal of safety. The management at Walmart is good. My co-workers are friendly and I easily bond with every single member of Walmart. The hardest part of the job would include heavy lifting, when it comes to heavy merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job would include working with friendly co-workers.
Pros
10% discount on all Walmart merchandise
Cons
long hours, underpaid
Not a good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Sudbury, ONAugust 3, 2016
Honestly don't see how people work there for so long. I find it the worst place to work. Management picks favorite, and if someone they like does wrong they laugh about it with them.
I will never promote people to work here, the CSM'S are down right rude and don't give a s**t if they do something wrong. They all have their heads so far up their butts it's unreal.
I feel bad for the people that work there, they need a job but hate life because of this place.
Cons
Stupid hours
A typical day at work
Walmart (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONAugust 27, 2016
I am always greeted with a smile and an how are you today. I will serve the customer politely and have a small conversation with them since we are the last person that the customer see before leaving the store so we as cashier we try our best to make it a great experience for them so they can come back since they enjoyed how we treated them.
Pros
Long Hours, Give breaks and lunches (depends what shift you have)
Cons
Feet and back hurts for standing to long on cash
A wide variety of job opportunities
Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
It is a fast paced retail environment.
It provides a wide variety of job opportunities if you are willing to relocate throughout the country.
The current store model has shifted from it's hallmark maverick mentality of the Sam Walton era, to a cookie cutter, policies and procedures format.
Just follow the program, is their new hallmark mentality.
Pros
ability to transfer across the country
Cons
Long retail hours, working holidays, all shifts
Good starter job. Gives a basic idea of the workforce.
Unloader/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 16, 2016
Overall I would have to say my time at Walmart was educational. I learned about the importance of staying organized following safety procedures. though management was a little lacking in my area of work I found my co-workers easy to work with. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was teaching new co-workers how to do the paperwork. The most enjoyable part of working there was how smoothly all the unloaders/receivers worked in a group.
I would like to work for Loblaw and join your team.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON (trainyard)July 15, 2016
I love to clean, and get along very good with co-worker, and always give my best.There are always obstacle, but with good team work, the job get done.
Management always make sure that the work is well done. Sometimes, we need to improvise because every day is not always the same. The end result is what count!
Sometime I need to come in on different schedule to replace someone missing.
I'm very dependable, punctual and responsible.

Bye for now, and thank you!
Pros
I love to clean.
Cons
I am flexible, and will do whatever it takes.