Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 5,696 reviews matching the search
Interesting work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON23 June 2017
At Walmart, you don't learn any skills that prepare you for any other jobs (excluding similar stores) but the benefits of working there are pretty good. A 10% discount off of any item and benefits may make the job seem more attractive.
Pros
Benefits and a 10% discount
Cons
Long hours, hard work, old employees
A good place to start
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
I really enjoy working at walmart, all the mangers are extremely respectful of the associates and willing to accommodate student availability. I have learned communication skills and gained patience from dealing with customers over 4 years.
Pros
Nice managers, good availability accommodation
Cons
lower wage.
The Retail Career Store
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 June 2017
When you work in a Walmart store there is so much that always needs to get done.

So very quickly it's taught that whatever it takes to get the job done, as long as it's being done safely, is good enough for Walmart.

Working in Walmart Store(s) over the course of my career has better prepared me for the work place. It gave me the opportunity to understand company culture and appreciate when it's there. It has probably over prepared me for any customer interaction I could ever have in the future.
Great co-workers, great part-time student job
Electronics Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON22 June 2017
A typical day in the electronics department would include stocking shelves, assisting customers, cleaning the department, and working in the photo centre. Specific days were used for doing mods (relocating DVDs for new releases, and relocating regular products).

This job taught me how to work in a team environment, as well as how to remain collected and focused in a busy and fast paced environment on days such as Black Friday and Boxing Day. It also teaches you how to sell products to customers that are not certain about the product they came in to buy.

The management changed a lot, managers got rotated and replaced fairly often it seemed. This can be good for exposing the worker to different management styles.

The workplace culture was fine for me, the co-workers were nice for the most part. I found that the amount of break time you get is much higher than that of other jobs (7+ hour shift gets you two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour unpaid lunch, all breaks are mandatory).

The hardest part of the job would probably be just dealing with rude customers, but this can sometimes be unavoidable. Other than that, the tasks in the electronics department are usually straight forward, and some days it can even get boring back there when you are all caught up with your work.
Pros
Lots of break time, easy tasks
Cons
Can get boring, unpredictable customers sometimes
Always something to do
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 June 2017
It is an organization that allows you take ownership of your career. There is always something to do to become better and deliver results. There are resources all around you to support your learning and career path.
Poor
Front Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 June 2017
Treated like a commodity, coworkers are great, but managers fail to address worker concerns. Hours are not always there. Good for short term employment, but not for a long term place of work.
Minimum wage job, minimal room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON22 June 2017
Working at Walmart is a job, and not much more than that. It's a minimum wage job with not much room for advancement. What makes working at walmart enjoyable are your coworkers. Too much is expected out of workers while only giving minimum wage and due to this a camaraderie is built between the bottom associates.
Pay is poor, managment is poorly organized but the people are nice
Dairy Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 June 2017
All that stuff that was stated above only stressing that the amount of employees is small and it hurts the overall production in the day making night guys have to care twice the workload
Pros
Met the girl of my dreams there
Cons
She tore my heart out
A good learning experience
Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 June 2017
I worked as an electronics sales representative which required a basic knowledge of everything in the department as well as working in every other department in the store. I learned how to process photos, activate cellular contracts, sell ammunition properly, help people find the plants that they need and how to use a cash register.
Pros
Very good learning opportunity
environnement de travail agréable
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint-Georges, QC21 June 2017
Je travaillais au laboratoire photo et j'ai adoré ça.
decent place to work
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2017
As much as people hate on Wal-Mart it's actually not a bad place to work, mind you the pay is on the low end, I worked in the automotive department and was either helping customers, stocking shelves or conducting oil changes.
Do your job, don't steal and don't instigate altercations with irate customers and your pretty much set.
Pros
work environment, lots of support when needed.
Cons
part time, odd hours, lots of mandatory availability for part time hours
Ok Employer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia20 June 2017
No real room for advancement, but it is a job, and it pays money. Not much money, but better than nothing, I guess. Management is generally clueless though.
Productive, tiring place to work
Merchandise and Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 June 2017
Management was very horrible. You get enough breaks so that's a plus. Always needed to work both days of the weekend. You can't book off any days during the busy blacked out days.
walmart review
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 June 2017
Walmart is an okay place to work. They give you the hours you want/need, but also give the option to get more hours. I think there is a need for new management along with the changes that are happening. Telling employees that they should quit their job, and give long, hard talks for sometimes hours on end about "productivity" should not be happening. On multiple occasions I found myself leaving work in tears because of how we are treated. For the first 6 months none of my supervisors knew my name and barely acknowledged me.
Pros
great hours
Cons
managment
very unorganized and too many supervisor/managment on in a shift and not helpful enough.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB20 June 2017
When I worked at Walmart I found there were too many management staff on that where very helpful when store was busy but rushed us. I was one of the top 3 cashiers who worked quickly with a 100% balanced cash drawer on every shift.
Good Temporary Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC20 June 2017
Wal-Mart is one of the worlds most prolific retailers, which means your likeliness to receive a job is high, however your satisfaction thereof will be low. Typically you will be thrust in to a position with little to no training and there will consistently not be enough staff in the store. Scheduling is often highly flexible, though, so if you need a second job or are currently in school then they can make it work.
Management can be both fantastic or down-right oppressive, depending on their personality. There are few management positions so do not expect rapid advancement.
Your fellow staff often redeem the job as the friendships you form bring you closer together and make non-ideal conditions bearable.
Pros
Scheduling, Fellow employees.
Cons
Consistent insufficient training and staffing.
Its Walmart
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 June 2017
The job is very easy, although when you are a cashier your responsibilities are scanning product, counting your cash at the end of the day and sell sell sell that mastercard.

I have worked as a cashier in many places, but this job gave you no authority. You couldn't do anything like open your cash, over ride a price, scan too many coupons without getting approval by your CSM. this makes you feel like a child.

Great place to make a little extra cash, 100% not a position for long term employment.

They are completely negative on you for not making ideal sales on their master card, as well as give you beads and incentive's like you could wear your jeans, or wear a coloured shirt if you were making good sales.

I quit because of my manager. She was a negative to all employees, and I got income I needed but I wouldn't work more then as a second job.
Pros
easy job
Cons
selling their mastercard
Very poor employer
Bakery and Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 June 2017
Very poor place to work. More managers than workers. Unless you can get full time, 12 hrs or at their discretion a week does not pay bills. They will schedule you for 3 hrs. a day, does not pay for gas to get to work.
Pros
Cons
Many
belle expérience
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  saint-dorothé20 June 2017
le fait que j'ai travailler dans un grand magasin comme walmart m'a appris plusieurs pour mes prochaines opportunités.
stressfull to work with
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
Fun to work with co workers. Management not very approachable. Salary not enjoyable. They usually cut hours. the hardest part is when you are not done with your own department and they want you to work in other department and when your own department is and mess they well blame you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.