Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,743 reviews matching the search
Fast Paced, Continuous Improvement, Driven to be the best
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON20 December 2016
Managing within Walmart's Canadian distribution is working within a very Fast paced environment that demands Continuous process improvement.
They are dedicated to achieving the Clients demands and to simply be the worlds very best logistics provider Worldwide.
The Distribution set up demands that you work very closely across a cross functional team to achieve success.
I enjoyed the years I worked for Walmart and benefited from the demands of both the Client and the internal relations with associates helping me to evolve and hone my skills as a Manager.
Pros
Education, Vacation Pay, Company matched Pension, Strong Benefits, team enviroment
Cons
Long Hours, Hefty demands, Constant Change
No appreciation
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 January 2017
Management changes all the time, really is a hit or miss. Not appreciated at all, even when you go above and beyond your job description. Associates are all pretty good people, some of them will come to you with concerns, as many don't seem to trust management and the "open door policy" (Open door policy is a policy that allows anyone to freely speak without fear of consequences, judgement, etc.) Lack of communication between LP and management most times. However, lots of freedom, making your own schedule, management barely notices when you're in (could be a pro or con). Home office/DLPMs always add to your job description with no sort of appreciation, compensation, etc.
Pros
Training, Freedom, Make you own schedule, Discount card, Building Police relationships
Cons
Management, Lack of recognition, No hands on policy, Added stress, New policies/jobs added all the time
Very productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC26 January 2017
Walmart was overall a wonderful first job.The work itself was very tiring, you had to constantly be working and dealing with customers. Walmart, Kirkland is a very busy place considering it is one of the biggest and busiest in all of Quebec. It taught me a lot on how to handle tough situations quickly and also how to manage my time wisely. Having this job was a great opportunity and kept me learning new things every single day. My least favorite part was that management wasn't too considerate about their employees lives beyond work place. They overall weren't easily approachable (not all of them but most of them)
Pros
Free lunchs, Bonus paychecks, Benefits
Cons
Long, very busy hours.
Fast Paced Workplace
Cashier and Customer Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2016
A typical work day at Walmart is face paced and most time stressful. Being able to have patience and hard working ethic is a must. I have learned a lot at Walmart in the past 3 and a half years i have worked there. learning to control my patience and learning to be a fast efficient worker were the main things. Management at Walmart really depends on the manger themselves some are very hard working respectable people and then there are some that are the opposite and don"t have the personalities or code of ethics to have the manager position they do. The benefits of working at Walmart is the breaks and profit sharing bonus. Walmart gives more breaks then most places do and profit sharing is a really nice thing for them to do for their employees at the end of the year. I really do enjoy my coworkers, a lot of them are like family to me and we get along very well.
Pros
Breaks, and Profit Sharing
Cons
Select Management
lots to always do and be working on, fun people to work with, 10% discount,
Baker (Current Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB11 January 2017
Wal-Mart is a fairly easy place to work. The people there are in general are friendly and easy to work with. Teamwork is fairly normal in this area of work. I am constantly doing something and this job can be very high pace. I enjoy always having something to do at this job and being able to keep busy. The management i find can at times be impersonal and uncaring towards employees. There are zero benefits and i domt agree with how much waist there is at this business but other than that it is a good and friendly place to work.
Pros
10% discount, good people to work with in general
Cons
impersonal and poor managment
productive and a fun place to work.
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK14 October 2016
i would definitely tell my friends and family about this company as a good and awesome place to work. I learnt many new things from how to properly stock shelves,use the gun to make labels and scan products.The management team was awesome and always there for you to answer and question you needed answered or concern you needed to address. My co workers are mostly all friendly and easy to work with. I did really find this job that hard other than you are on your feet all day and if you don't have a good pair of shoes your feet will be sore by the end of the day. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of working here would be the benefits and perks working for Walmart.
Pros
friendly faces to work with.
Cons
nothing i can think of
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Great Place To Work
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON14 February 2017
Very laid back environment with lots of chances for advancement/change of responsibility. Walmart focuses on in-house hiring, so if you have a degree/diploma in a field that Walmart offers while working there, you'd looked at first for eligibility. Annual raises as well as chances to change your position as frequently as the jobs are posted. A lot of micromanagement, but that's to be expected with a corporate chain such as Walmart.
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Place of Opportunities
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
The majority of workdays are fast paced and challenging. But I take each day at Walmart for self-development. Working at Walmart helped me in becoming a better team player. Moreover, it improved my ability to communicate with a variety of people from different background culture. I am highly praised as a good team player and for my abilities to lead with an example in all crunch scenarios at work. We make a strong friendly team at Walmart that can handle stress situations with ease. And interacting with new people each day makes this job more exciting.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Rotating Shifts for Part Timers
My experience at Walmart
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON24 November 2016
I have worked here for 2 years and have seen the best and worst, Walmart has to offer, in my experience here at Walmart I have a few things to say.

1. If you work hard you will be rewarded, however you must make sure it is noticed, working hard behind the scenes reap zero benefits.

2. Try to change areas often, if you get comfortable for too long you'll wind up stuck in that department, unless you enjoy your work, mix it up.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Only if you're managers favourite
Great management, Positive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON16 November 2016
Honestly one of the best places i have worked at. i love my job there they give out decent amount of hours. great if your a student or an adult, if you have a problem they will help you solve it. the salary is on the lower side but its not supposed to be a high paying job, overall its a great job for hours and pay if your a person trying to make some money and i would definitely recommend them.

The typical day at work is serving customers,working with other employees, and keeping a clean work space

co workers there are extremely friendly and amazing to work with, they will be there when you need help and they are lots of fun to work with.
Managers are spinning and Corporate is unconcerned
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
I learned how to think for myself, how to regulate tasks and how to lead a team mostly through my typical day being the "reliable one" of my department. Management is mostly on the level, but as always favouritism is a problem and some managers and associates were too close and gained too many benefits from such relationships. Furthermore managers often showed themselves to be ineffective at even basic things such as maintaining the schedules and dealing with irate customers, often pawning off those management duties in low-rung associates. That said, the best part of the job was the ground-level staff, they are kind and welcoming and the job itself was quite simple, if unfulfilling.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Management particularly upper management being ineffective
Fun Happy place to work with family values
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
As a place to work in general my experience with Walmart has been a good one. That is until recently. Now I find myself looking for another place to work which will better relate to my family needs as new management that has come into that store is not very concerned about his employee's family welfare. The store I worked last at has become a very stressful environment compared to the other locations I have worked in. They do however have a worthwhile benefit package and 3 kinds of profit sharing available.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great company, advancement opportunities
Cons
Individual store managers may not identify with you
Good workplace and friendly associates. Store standards position gave me alot of responsibilities and always had a job to do.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 December 2016
Wal-mart was a good job i enjoyed the work and the people along with it. I was always busy from my regular duties or from another employee in need. I had many responsibilities from my main duties collecting carts and relocating them inside, to maintaining the cleanliness of the store. Other responsibilities would require me to help another associate in his or her department if needed.
Pros
Always busy. Had great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours. No benefits.
Great enviroment to work at walmart. Co-workers were great people to work with! There was plenty to learn from them and everyone was helpful.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB11 August 2016
At Walmart i had the opportunity to grow with my career there. I enjoyed the raises and the advancement of my career in retail. The enviroment was friendly and the people were great. I had the opportunity to advancement only three months after starting my job due to my long hours and hard work i put into my area. i also volunteered my own time while working there when we were fundraising. The hours were good and i was able to work monday to friday so i enjoyed my weekends.
Pros
I loved all the raises! never have i worked at a place where i got 3 raises in one year.
Cons
I had alot of stuff to get done with too little time and not enough workers.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 August 2016
A typical day at work required providing great advice regarding electronic products and excellent customer service. It required being able to multi task between helping out multiple customers and still managing to keep the store tidy. I ensured that the clients felt welcomed as soon as they entered the store. I processed payments and completed various other transactions on the P O S system. I was also responsible for the store inventory. Management was great. They never failed to respect me as an employee and always made sure I could come to them if I needed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I met every day, some of which became regulars and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours as per what I was looking for
Good job for anyone especially students or first time jobs
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 November 2016
Been working with Walmart for 3 years. I find the job good and fun to work with others. Job is not hard easy to work the tasks being asked. Friendly environment. Easy to take time off when needed. Wage is pretty good with raises every year. Also can get a profit share depending on sales.
Pros
Friendly working environment, can usually get any time off requests
Cons
Dont always get profit share
It is a fun place to work. People are friendly and supportive. Get a lots of benefits as a employee like discounts and further career opportunities.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2017
Pros
Free Lunches
Engaging and fast paced
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2016
Working with 280 associates in a fast paced retail environment that consistently exceeds all company goals and expectations. Customer service is paramount and the number one focus of each and every associate day in and out. A true engaging environment has caused a decrease in shrink and increase in sales and profitability. Leadership engagement + associate engagement = customer satisfaction
Pros
salary
Cons
work life balance