Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,639 reviews matching the search
Very fast pasted
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 16, 2016
Walmart is a popular clothing store, so the work was fast pasted, I liked this about Walmart.
I learned how to delegate and manage cashiers. I also learned how to balance cash registers.
Management was great, but busy with their work.
My co-workers were fun and a great support
The hardest part of the job was having to run around from one end of the store to the other. ( The super centres are huge.) and the clean up after closing the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people.
Pros
Meeting new people, management and co-workers
Cons
Running from one end of the large super center to the other and closing clean up
Portrait Studio - North Walmart
Photographer, Customer service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 29, 2016
Typically I'd work alone every shift, sometimes a manager would stop by the store to make sure things were running smoothly. Generally I would take around 15-30 passport photos a day, varying from a gun licence, to an immigration card.

For the most part my co-workers were friendly, often available to take shifts of my hands when needed. Though myself and my co-workers had many problems with management (rude, egotistical,etc). The main reason I left that job was to do with managers.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Boring
Good place to work if you can be patient with customers.
Hardlines Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work is putting toys back on the shelves and re-organizing them to make the products easily accessible to customers. Will also include being frequently called up to the front cash registers to cover breaks and help out when it is busy.
The hardest part of the job is the customers, but it is also the most enjoyable part. People can get extremely frustrated at you over things you have no control over. However, some customers are really grateful after you help them, which is definitely nice.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Days feel repetitive.
Extremely fast paced, monotonous
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
I developed the ability to meet quota in a very fast environment but the work was very monotonous. The management there was very sloppy but the managers were quite friendly same with the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was at the beginning trying to meet quota and learn the organization system at a fast pace. for the last part the most enjoyable part of the job I suppose the decent salary and going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Vending machines
Cons
10 hour days, broken machines
Safe and respectable work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
Day starts by walking from clocking in, to the tilt which you will be in for rest of the day. Greeting co-workers and customers just showing a little appreciation. One of my favorite thing is learning new experiences, skills and mass general education. As a wal-mart cashier, I learned it's difficult to sell master cards to customers and also learned, people don't know what they want till you give them a idea of it. managers didn't treat the employees like robots, they had a relationship with them. enjoyable part of the work is working with well developed individuals that help you grow each and everyday.
Working as a sales associate
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 16, 2016
Working as a sales associate has many perks compared to a cashier. Breaks were very flexible and could work around other co-workers. I was able to move around my department area freely, unlike a cashier who must be at their cash register at all times. While working in my department, I would bring out stock from the backroom and empty them out. Then I would create labels for each item so that later we could record what was put out on the shelf. I enjoyed putting the items onto the shelf, it was very relaxing and calming.
Pros
Flexible breaks and hours
Cons
Sore back and feet
Productive work place and excellent working eviroment
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
My day starts 7.am to 3.30.pm. First thing is to check my email for any updates. Then I print my daily's paper work and open claims report. Next is to work on return merchandise from customers. Attend morning meetings at 9.am, go for 15 minutes first break.
After break, I get my UPS, Purolator and ATS parcels ready for pickup. Back to the office faxing and calling vendors for return authorization number in other to finalize my claims. 12.pm - 1.pm I go for Lunch.
After Lunch, I work of product returns and defective merchandise till closing.
New direction is the wrong direction!
Lead/Duty Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ONApril 1, 2016
In my 6 year career with Walmart I was a committed and engaged Manager. The new direction of the company "do more with less" is not conducive the a decent work-life balance and it has become all about the bottom line at the cost of the Associates - cut backs to hours and promises that never come to fruition.
They have no competition to beat out of the market...they can afford to treat their Associates with dignity and respect and a decent hourly wage.
Productive work place
OTC HBA/Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
typical day consists of tidying/stocking shelves, assisting customers with finding products, operating a cash register. Learned layout of departments in store to assist customers in finding products or found an associate in that department to assist customers. Found management approachable to answer inquiries and worked as a team with co-workers. Found the hardest part of the job was losing a good team member. It was most enjoyable helping customers finding the products they needed or checking when it would be approximately received at the store.
Pros
hand a nice lunchroom to relax in during breaks
Cons
not enough lockers to lock up valuables
Walmart employment experience
Customer ServiceCustomer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 4, 2016
Walmart hides behind policies and practices that make them seem like they care about their employees. In truth they care for nothing more than saving the company money regardless of who is affected. They often perform job cuts and cut part time and full time alike hours.
Management is terrible and ask for more than is humanly possible, and are often flat out rude. I have worked at 3 walmart locations and I share this opinion for all of them.
It was a fun and productive place to work with BEFORE.
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 5, 2016
Typical day at work is like working on a production business you need to get stuff done within the time frame.I learned is that new management new set of rules.my co-workers are great except this new co-store manager came in his treating the associates like a slave.Hardest part of the job is that you already new you've already work more than enough for day and yet they're still pushing you to do more to cover up for the short staff they have.most enjoyable is that sharing thoughts with co workers.
Pros
10% dicount
Cons
Messed Up Management
Productive and consistant work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Dairy Department) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed by time with Walmart at its Belleville, ON branch. While their I was trained in matters pertaining to customer service and adherence to strict government regulations in regard to safe food handling practices.

Overall I would say my time with Walmart was a positive experience.
Pros
Profit sharing, good hours, flexible schedule, regular office events.
Cons
Customers can be unpredictable.
A productive and fun job.
Night Shift Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 12, 2016
A typical day involved Stocking Shelves and ensuring the area was cleaned afterwards. After we were done with the job, we sent the boxes to the garbage compactor to be crushed.

I learned good teamwork skills at Wal-Mart, as well as honing my organization skills. Heavy lifting was a big factor on the job, too; due to the many boxes I had to lift.

Overall I found the job to be pretty productive and fun at times. I would definitely be up for doing a job similar to it in the future.
A secure and flexible work envirnment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Agincourt, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would include constant customer service interaction that ranged from aiding the customer in locating what they are looking for, to maintaining pleasant conversation, to finally taking in store compliments, as well as taking affirmative action to remedy the situation when compliments do occur. I learned to development great people skills as well as maintain an exceptional work ethic at all times of my shifts. The best part of the job is the constant interaction I experience with customers. I am able to meet incredible new individuals daily whilst still maintaining an appropriate work demeanor.
Fun people to work with but lackluster management
Store Standards / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONApril 20, 2016
A typical day for me is pretty much bringing in carts my entire shift as they never have more than one store standards on at a time.

At Wal-Mart I learned to get out of my comfort zone and to be less shy.

The management lack in communication as well as not following threw with what they say.

All my co-worker at Wal-Mart are great, almost everyone worker is a joy to work with.

The hardest part of my job was having to do multiple jobs not in my job description at the same time while having to do my own job as well.

The most enjoyable part of my job is all the people I work with and get to meet.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Bad communication
Titles and routine
Walmart - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 26, 2016
Overnight Electronics Associate, 2009-2010
Renovation Team Associate, 2010-2011
Sports (Hardware, Automotive, Pets and Paints) Associate, 2008-2008
Customer Service Associate, 2007-2008
Lady’s wear Associate, 2006-2007
Every job at Walmart is pretty much the same. Show up, find out what you need to do for the day from your manager (because everyone has one) Then do the list of things given for the day. there was high turn over and not a lot of room for socializing.
Pros
1 hour lunchs
Cons
10% discount
Overall a good employer with opportunities for advancement.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden HorseshoeApril 27, 2016
My day consisted with the interaction of the pharmacy/optical teams and store management team. A typical day would be to coach, teach and review operational and financial activities.
On my store visits I would include interacting with the staff and providing direction on merchandising and professional issues.
The enjoyable part of the job allowed me to be independent and interact with the many people that worked in the front store and other departments.
The hardest part of the job was to try and visit more stores on a regular basis due to the geographic size of the district.
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
Long hours, but managable.
Productive environment with great resources
Produce Stocker (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
heavy lifting
Very unorganized workplace. No structure.
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was not typical in any way. I never knew from one minute to the next if I was going to be able to complete my task at hand before I was told to leave it and go onto another. Once pulled from said task, the manager that had originally put me on it would come yelling at me as to why I didn't finish what he asked before moving on to present task. It was all very stressful and there was no way in those conditions, to do my job to a satisfactory level. I felt I was being purposely pushed out due to my physical disabilities that made it hard to place me during renovations.
Pros
great fellow employees
Cons
worst manged store I've ever seen.
Walmart Review
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONMarch 26, 2016
Started there as an overnight stocker than quickly moved to the backroom where there my tasks was to condense the overstock bins, bin the overstock receive and put bulk skids on top steel.
8 months later I became a support manager.
My tasks as a support manager is making sure the comp rails is full of features, helping and working with all of the team members, making sure the job gets done in a reasonable timely manner and making sure everyone is working safe.