Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,948 reviews matching the search
Not Horrible Needs to Boost it Image.
Stock Clerk/ Picker Binner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 27, 2016
Walmart is pretty much the same as every other retail company, but the company has a horrible image that needs to be fixed. It needs to make itself more professional and allow the employees to think for themselves. To many managers 3 managers for a team of 5 a lot of people don't even have a high school education which in the 21st century is unacceptable. Pizza parties, coffee and doughnuts every month as well as profit sharing and stock are some good incentives for working at Walmart.
Walmart taught me a lot!
Photo Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 2, 2016
I worked at Walmart for 8 years and I really liked it there. Working there for so long I became really close to the employees, and the regulars that would print off pictures in the Photo Lab. Walmart taught me a lot, and actually helped me get out of my shy shell. I started there when I was 18 and very shy, I left there a very confident person, and also definitely a people person!
Pros
organized company, good staff, quick paced environment
Cons
I sometimes wish I would have ventured into different departments other than Photo Lab
Could be better.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 24, 2016
Work at walmart is taxing, mentally more so than physically. Unless you get lucky and get on the fast track to being a manager, you are stuck as a standard employee.

The management, however, is considerate. They do take time to speak with you, and help if they can.

The pay is alright, but could be better, especially with what each employee is asked to do.

Full time is exceedingly hard to get.

Hours are consistent and available enough that you rarely work the minimum required though, and often get more.
Pros
10& Discount
Cons
Personal gratification and worth is hard to come by.
Flexible and friendly workplace environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  square oneJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work is dealing with different customers. I learned that in order to work in a fast paced environment a person must learn to enter work with a positive attitude , leaving behind any personal issues that could conflict . My co workers are very supportive of each other and easy to get a long with. the hardest part of my job is maintaining consistent sales with the walmart card but the most enjoyable is the interaction.
Good starter job. Gives a basic idea of the workforce.
Unloader/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 16, 2016
Overall I would have to say my time at Walmart was educational. I learned about the importance of staying organized following safety procedures. though management was a little lacking in my area of work I found my co-workers easy to work with. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was teaching new co-workers how to do the paperwork. The most enjoyable part of working there was how smoothly all the unloaders/receivers worked in a group.
Repetitive but fun
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJune 23, 2016
Walmart was a good first work experience for me. My co-workers were great, and i learned a lot about customer service. The only major issue I had was that my chest collapsed when I was on cash, and i asked the manager to call me a taxi to the hospital. and I was told that i looked fine and i was exaggerating. but as it happens, when i got to the hospital, my lung was 20% collapsed. I had to take a lot of time off work and it sucked. but otherwise Walmart was a great job and i had a lot of fun and made some great friends.
Pros
1 hour lunch/dinner.
Cons
Short hours. had to work weekends
Fun and Dynamic Work Environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 9, 2016
Typically would restock shelves for tomorrow morning or the morning of, I learned how to stock items both on the sales floor and in back storage. Management was personable and regularly rotated the store. Hardest part of work was changing the 'paper' in the film making machine, having to do it in a black box, only being able to use your hands to figure it out, no eyes. The most enjoyable part was putting out the display cases for large movie or game release.
Pros
Sociable and open environment
Cons
Understaffed stores
Walmart is a great place to get started.
Dairy Clerk / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONJuly 13, 2016
Walmart is a job well suited for someone that doesn't have alot of experience working. It offers various types of jobs and work levels. However, this job is not for someone who wants to be proud of the work they accomplish as tasks usually run into the next without any sense of completion.
Pros
times had nacho/ icecream/ pizza/ donut days (all free)
Cons
No sense of completion, management never agrees with eachother so it is hard to get a straight answer
I would like to work for Loblaw and join your team.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON (trainyard)July 15, 2016
I love to clean, and get along very good with co-worker, and always give my best.There are always obstacle, but with good team work, the job get done.
Management always make sure that the work is well done. Sometimes, we need to improvise because every day is not always the same. The end result is what count!
Sometime I need to come in on different schedule to replace someone missing.
I'm very dependable, punctual and responsible.

Bye for now, and thank you!
Pros
I love to clean.
Cons
I am flexible, and will do whatever it takes.
A wide variety of job opportunities
Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
It is a fast paced retail environment.
It provides a wide variety of job opportunities if you are willing to relocate throughout the country.
The current store model has shifted from it's hallmark maverick mentality of the Sam Walton era, to a cookie cutter, policies and procedures format.
Just follow the program, is their new hallmark mentality.
Pros
ability to transfer across the country
Cons
Long retail hours, working holidays, all shifts
productive
Reciever (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 21, 2016
A typical day as a Walmart receiving employer would include receiving shipments of merchandise requiring great effort and dedication to complete. I have learned how to operate work related equipment using a great deal of safety. The management at Walmart is good. My co-workers are friendly and I easily bond with every single member of Walmart. The hardest part of the job would include heavy lifting, when it comes to heavy merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job would include working with friendly co-workers.
Pros
10% discount on all Walmart merchandise
Cons
long hours, underpaid
Constructive and Useful experience
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 23, 2016
Working with a lot of people in my charge, I learn to be more comprehensive with each one. Trying to understand there point of view and why they act this way in some particular situation.
Be more open about other perspective than just mine.
For me that the most enjoyable part of my job was with a lot of employee in a big store like Wal-Mart, I really got the competences of how to treat some kind of situation at different moment with a diversity of personality and culture.
Pros
The managers were kind and invest in there workplace.
Cons
Not all the employee work equally.
Busy workplace with too many retirees and no one new.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJune 17, 2016
I have learned to deal with many different customers, the good and the bad, and it was a valuable experience I will never forget. Training and preparation could have been better, but the stress forced me to learn as fast as possible with minimal mistakes (or else). I have gained confidence speaking with customers and dealing with new situations, and MOST coworkers were pleasant to work with. All in all, a nice place to work for beginning in retail.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Not enough hours
productive, many responsibilities, good customers
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 15, 2016
I learnt alot of things t walmart such as how to do time management, how to do mutliple tasks at a time, how to behave calm even during stressful situations. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some extremely rude customers & also covering multiple departments at a time. The most enjoyable part is that you make lots of good friends from different ethnicity and different age groups. The other enjoyable part is making good relation with regular and nice customers.
negative atmosphere among employees, extremely low moral, it is like working with 20 hawks watching you at all times ready to pounce.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 14, 2016
-same routine daily
-management favours certain employees
-coworkers mostly all agree about management
-unable to enjoy a day at work without having to keep looking over your shoulders to see management constantly watching you. Always afraid that you will make a mistake.
-working with the public (customer service) would be the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons
favourtism
My thoughts about Walmart
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJuly 20, 2016
I learned a lot from working at Walmart like how to handle customers of all sorts, learned a lot about all the different deparments and where things were, got to set up a produce department, bakery, and deli for a grand opening and found myself working in the Produce afterwards. I liked my job it was good made job-friends with people in the other new departments but not all co-workers liked me. Management of Walmart was good but the management in my department not so much. Hardest part of my job was having to be nice to my rude fellow co-workers but i always found a way to forget about it positively. And the most enjoyable part was working for a really great and big company, id definitely work at another walmart again.
Good starter job
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJune 20, 2016
Working at Walmart can including various jobs throughout the day all around the store. I learned mostly to have strong people skills and how to act in a work environment. Most of the management at the Cochrane Walmart are great with the exception of a couple managers. The hardest part of the job was handling upset customers and I mostly enjoyed the flexible hours and nice associates.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Grumpy Customers
Check the telzon. Walk my area, and front face, straighten. Make notes of things to do.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Heritage Mall, South Edmonton CommonJune 9, 2016
Put out stock, condense, and put new merchandise to the front.
How to merchandise, doing mark ups and mark downs, signing, plan-o-grams.
Very helpful,and giving a list of what needed to be done. And a good time frame to accomplish.
Coworkers were good to work with, helpful when not busy to put out stock.
Store change overs. But I am a hard worker and need to be busy.
Customer service, I enjoyed being able to help a customer find what they wanted. And showing them the areas they could find merchandise.
Pros
Given a time to get specified jobs done. And thanked for a job well done.
Cons
Not knowing where something is in a busy area
Hard work with good benefits but low wages
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
Great for young person as entry level management. Hard work and your immediate management will make or break this position for employee. Culture on paper is great but reality in workplace is not the same. With proper support to advance you by management could be a great position but due to shortage of takers you may be stuck in position for years.
Pros
Lots of hours available for this position
Cons
Long road for advancement
Great learning experience along with great coworkers
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 28, 2016
My typical day at Walmart would be to arrive on time and begin to make a list of all the products that needed restocking.
The experiences I learned at Walmart was how to help satisfy the customer quickly and efficiently throughout my entire work shift.
My management was respectful towards my decisions and extra circular activities, when I have asked to take time off.
For my associates they were kind and respectful towards myself and others around me.
Most challenging part about working at Walmart was peak times inside the store when it was a weekend and their were many customers to help.
Most enjoyable part was the people I got to work with including managers.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Rude Customers