Walmart
50,669 reviews

Walmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A nice place to work with opportunity to grow
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee), Kanata, ONAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Learning new things to help expand retail knowledge
Cons: Certain co-workers working habits
A typical day at work is coming in an stocking/binning product that the overnight crew was unable to work.

I've learned how to be part of a team in a retail environment along with individual tasks and how to prioritize tasks in ways to better assist customers and increase sales.

Management was unstable at times but certain management members took on extra responsibilities to make the store run smoothly.

For the most part the co-workers are helpful in completely tasks but other times they need someone there to make sure the job is completely well.

The hardest part of the job is having to make up for others lack in work. For example if the morning associate fails to organize the produce cooler the closing associate must do so along with other mandatory tasks.

The most enjoyable part of working at Walmart is learning new things within various departments. Unfortunately these things can only be learned once and when mastered it becomes second nature.
Good work experience with great benefits and salary as a management team member.
Back Room Manager (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Breakfast meetings with Management team at the in-store restaurant.
Cons: Certain Management at store level.
I enjoyed most of my Walmart career. As with any job, there are opportunities to both learn and experience change. With the positions held and levels of steps in the company, I feel there was an overall enjoyment of the people and company.
A large company with lots of changes constantly and lots of room to grow
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Orleans, ONAugust 2, 2015
Pros: enjoyed being in charge of a large team and seeing the productivity
Cons: management was not working as a team
I enjoyed working at Walmart, the changes and challenges kept you on your toes and always learning something new. Some nights we had fun with the associates to make it seem like the nights were not so long. Walmart helped a lot when times were rough. The hardest part about my job was the knowledge that I may never work days and l\always be on nights I really enjoyed working for Walmart. The Management was good and the associates were good as well. Everyone works as a team. I take away from this job the knowledge of how to be a good assistant manager. A typical day for me would be to show up an hour before my schedule, get my associates on paper as to where the will be stocking for the night. Double checking that the freight numbers are correct and that I have enough associates to get the jobs expected of me from my store manager complete. The rest of the night would be walking the store making sure associates are working as fast and efficiently as they can, answering questions associates may have. Doing some merchandising. Attendance tracking of associates.. I would at times have to write up evaluations on associates this was done on every associates every year. At the end of each night we would walk with he store manger to inspect the condition of the store.
Garden center
Associate (Former Employee), 5000 Highway 7August 1, 2015
Pros: Outdoors
Cons: Temporary
I really enjoyed working at the Garden Center. The position may be temporary, but the job is very simple, lifting soil, watering plants, maintaining cleanliness in the store, and cashier duty.
walmart is always fun working place
Department Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2015
Pros: free pizza end of month and bonus every year
Cons: long hours overtime
when I came in Canada I start my career from walmart as a part time associate and then I become full time associate and then dept manager.
Great company, lots of opportunity, maximize skills.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, Scarborough, MarkhamJuly 31, 2015
Pros: great benefit, good salary
Cons: long hours
Worked Wal-Mart 11 years. A great company to work. Started of as a part time associate, now I'm an assistant store manager. My day started with planning, guiding, following up with associates, dealing with customer concern, coaching my fellow associates, merchandising. A fun to work where everyday is very challenging, result driven and a very fast paced environment. I love my team and co-workers. We help each other, give constructive criticism, meeting weekly to discuss overall operation, people. There are lot of opportunities to grow and learn in the company,
zellers
m (Former Employee), lethbridgeJuly 30, 2015
Pros: cant remember
Cons: cant remember
this was a job i had when i was 16, was a nice starting job and the staff was pretty decent. the store had some good hours. I only worked at this place over the summer, but now we no longer have a zellers here so this review doesnt matter
alright
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 30, 2015
typical day, punch in walk to the front... they expect you 5 minutes early which never worked for me... management was cool managers were cycled every 6 months some better than others. co - workers were the best part about the job getting to meet new people. most enjoyable part about the job was when the store was empty and you just walked around for your shift or sorted returns.
Productive and a great place to work
Meat Department Associate (Former Employee), Selkirk, MBJuly 30, 2015
I would recommend this business to anyone. Fun place to work at very professional and easy going at the same time. Encourages furthering your education.
A great organization to enhance your skills
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
A typical day for a cashier at Walmart is just constant interaction with customers that are nice and mean. You learn to deal with all kind of people that way. The management is friendly, and ready to always listen to what you have to say. The co-workers soon become your work family. The hardest part of cashier at Walmart is that you are not allowed to sit down, even when there is no customer, and the never ending pressure of persuading customers to sign up for the Walmart MasterCard. The most enjoyable part about being a cashier is meeting new and different kind of people everyday, and just having fun with your work family.
when i work in india as a nurse,as a hsenior health care in uk
Customer special service and cashier (Former Employee), Winkler, MBJuly 29, 2015
the most hardest part of the job when some body dying in your hand ,another way one you treat a patient then he survive from very bad condition of his health that part of job very enjoyable for me.
Teamwork
Shoe Sales Representative (Former Employee), Bedford, NSJuly 28, 2015
Wal-Mart was where I learned the true meaning of teamwork. We were always taught to support one another; even amongst different departments. I had wonderful co-workers who treated me with respect and would always find time to help me when needed. I learned very quickly that customer satisfaction affects everyone; positive or negative. Having partook in customer service on a daily basis, I learned to problem solve and utilize co-workers for support when needed.
Adequate as a supplementary wage to a family unit
Night Maintenance (Former Employee), Saint John, NBJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Health insurance some positions
Cons: Health insurance only some positions
Very result driven environment. Work expectation does not equate with wage offered in many positions. Some positions provide health insurance.
I enjoyed working for walmart
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2015
Pros: pay was over minimum wage
Cons: not enough hours
you got to meet new people and hourly wage was over minimum wage. there was room for advancement. I enjoyed it there always a clean work atmosphere.
Good Job for Students
Bakery Associate (Former Employee), Maple WestJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Fast-paced and never boring
Cons: Management expects too much from us when we're understaffed
I was a student working in the bakery. The bakery is a fun but very fast-paced working environment. Lucky for me, I excel at working fast and efficiently. It makes the day go by faster if you are always busy and the bakery is always busy.

It's great to see the customer's look of satisfaction when you bake something fresh and steaming hot just for them. They really appreciate it and it's great to see them smile.
Over all terrible place to work
cashier (Current Employee), New GlasgowJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Terrible hours. NO advancing.
I have been working as a cashier for about a year, everyone is treated like dogs, there is no advancing I have tried several times. Recently had a new store manager that makes no attempt to talk to any of the associates unless it is something negative. A couple managers that are respectable but very few. They never ask you how you are or how was your day. Its all about mastercards and making sure you keep your mouth shut.

If your looking for a depressing job. Where you get no respect apply today to be a walmart associate. Currently searching for a new job.
The best part of the day is when you clock out.
Wal-Mart is bad and they should feel bad.
Day stocker (Former Employee), Harrison, ONJuly 27, 2015
Pros: It's a Job.
Cons: It's a bad Job.
My average day at work consisted of tedious stocking and restocking of shelves, zoning of merchandise and helping anyone who so much as looked at me funny. Generally a pretty stress free environment when it comes down to it. Sadly when you factor in the management you get into the stress area. Management doesn't care about you, they don't care about any of your problems or needs. The only thing they care about is that you are working non stop when you're not on your breaks. If you cut your hand, you need to get it cleaned up and fixed asap or you will get yelled at. Pro-Tip: Don't work at Wal-mart as a Male without Steel Toed Boots! I've had more pallets and heavy items drop on my toes due to negligent co workers and passive aggressive Department Managers than at any other job. Unrealistic Timing standards for doing things, and extremely contradictory protocol's on how things are done. Working at Wal-Mart is like working in a poorly funded and maintained military with no real discipline. Just do what you're told the instant you're told to do it and don't say anything back because your opinion doesnt matter.
Fun work place and friendly co-workers
Tire and Lube Technician (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2015
Pros: no comment
Cons: enough hours
As walmart employee, I've been working there for 6 years now and having good working relationship with management as well as co workers. I had learned how to deal with costumers in their needs as far as their cars are concerned. Always work hard to make production better everyday and I am enjoying what I'm doing my work there. I hope that I will be given a chance to work at your good company and have a life much better.
Store Managers Are Not Qualified
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Working as Loss Prevention
Cons: ITs Walmart.
Walmart's low cost approach for associates leaves little room for professionalism. Internal Theft at Walmart is high, however Walmart doesn't seem to want to terminate or charge their employees until the employee has created a large financial loss to the store. This is typically the store manages decision. A lot of store managers are uneducated outside of Walmart, Their typical source of education is from Walmart's internal WIRE.
Great team work in our Fashion department
Fashion Associate, Cashier (Former Employee), Fashion departmentJuly 26, 2015
Pros: flexiable hours
Cons: shortage of help
Customer service skills at the fitting room.
Zoning of clothing
To ensure customer find what they are looking for
Hardest part of the job was leaving unfinished jobs
I so enjoyed my team we all had a sense of what needed to be done and worked together to try and do.

1 2 3 4 5

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more