The disability services worker (DSW), under supervision of his/her supervisor, facilitates and monitors education and development programs for purposes of providing individuals in service with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision in residence and in the community. Disability service workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers. This position reports to the team leader.
- Reporting to the Team Leader and following his/her direction as well as those of senior staff;
- Actively participating in the program team;
- Assisting in goal planning for the program;
- Participating in monthly staff meetings and special meetings as requested by the Team Leader and/or senior staff;
- Creating and assisting in ensuring positive interaction between the individual and community;
- Presenting oneself as professional and courteous at all times;
- Adhering to the Oath of Confidentiality
- Assisting in the development and implementation of individual program plans;
- Assisting individuals, according to functioning abilities, with hygiene and personal care and daily living skills;
- Assisting in the coordination, implementation and supervision of vocational, recreational and leisure pursuits of individuals in care;
- Observing, recording and reporting information pertinent to the individual’s programs;
- Assisting with cooking, cleaning and general household maintenance of the residence;
- Administering medication and First Aid as required by the individuals in care.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Basic Skills training, min one years experience working with individuals with disabilities.
- A clear criminal record and Child Welfare Check
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to function in crisis and follow instructions
- Ability to teach living/ vocational skills
- Observation and assessment skills and a special interest or hobbies in arts, crafts, music, games and/or sports an asset.
- Valid Class 5 driver license; Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol Training, Crisis Prevention Intervention, First Aid/CPR Certification, Restrictive Procedures Training.
Indeed - 4 months ago
copy to clipboard
W. J. Stelmaschuk and Associates Ltd. -- also known as WJS Canada or just WJS -- contracts with governments across Canada to provide...