W.W. Norton & Company Employee Reviews

Productive, team based, comfortable working environment.
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NY21 November 2016
W.W. Norton is a very rare company to find, as I did not require to have a close relationship with anyone already employed here to get hired. Every employee I've encountered has been very welcoming. They've built a family here by working with individuals who have matching credentials, not by deciding if they personally like or dislike the person during interviews.

Norton employees work together as a team, help each other improve, resulting in a comfortable, productive working environment for all.
Great
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  NYC, NY16 November 2016
This is an independently owned publishing house that prides itself on quality literature and a positive work environment.
Great Employee Owned Company
Marketing and Editorial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 September 2016
WW Norton is a great place to work. It's filled with the nicest people you will ever meet and it's small, but not too small. This is a great entry level place for people new to publishing.
Pros
people
Cons
low pay
Boring, but pays some of the bills
Editorial intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 December 2015
From what I can tell from my time at Norton, no one there loves their job. No one. There are some great people there, but they spend most of their time online shopping and on the phone with stubborn authors rather than digging in to their work with the passion I would hope for/expect. The office itself is a labyrinth of closed doors that doesn't facilitate any camaraderie whatsoever. Good luck if you start as an intern! You'll "work" in the kitchen... or spend lots of hours reading books for fun because you have nothing else to do. The wisest of interns use their days to apply for other positions.
Pros
People who love books as much as you do
Cons
Bad pay, poor environment
A great place to work provided you are deemed valuable
User Experience Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY25 October 2015
Norton is a wonderful place to work. It is especially cool if you care about books and enjoy seeing what the company puts out. Norton has been a good place to explore my interests and allowing me to transform into several different roles during my time here. The company only recently declared itself as ‘a software company’ and is going through those growing pains. Inexperience with web development and design is painfully clear. I fortunately have found time to have a healthy work life balance but that does lead to some busy work weeks. The hours are mostly what you make them with some expectation to work on your free time. Compensation is below average so I work harder during the day and try not to take work home with me. Aside from the upper tiers, salary at Norton seems to be mostly below average for New York. Common reasons given for these salary ranges are “well this *is* publishing after all” and “we don’t see the value add.” The company does put out cool books but now seems to value profits over progress. Quick decisions are often valued over thoughtful ones. It seems like things will sort themselves out eventually, but I wouldn’t expect that for another few years.
Pros
Books, flexible hours, benefits
Cons
low pay, vague management
Independent Contract Work
Freelance Proofreader (Former Employee) –  New York, NY13 August 2014
Working independently as a proofreader for a well-established publisher was a joy. I was given clear instructions and expectations, and reasonable time in which to complete the task.

Some might wilt at the idea of working in isolation, but I never shrink from independent work tasks. Any questions I had concerning the assignment were answered quickly and thoughtfully, and as such, I never felt alone in my work.
Great company but managers vary greatly
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  VA25 May 2012
Cold calls (face to face) with potential clients in their doorway. Depending on your sales territory, you may spend a lot of time living on the road.
Pros
vacation time, autonomy
Cons
certain managers