VON Canada Employee Reviews

Standard Office Job
Accreditation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB14 May 2017
I worked with VON years ago as a summer student. I was not impressed with their level of organization. Overall, I learned a lot from my experience, but was not impressed with how the organization was run as a whole.
Toxic environment.
CSA (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
Most of the CSA employees are great and make it a better place to work. But management focus a lot on the mistakes made and very little if at all the positive in their employees. "The phrase don't take care of your clients, take care of your employee and they will take care of the client" comes to mind.
Management expects too much of employees. It is beyond multitasking. That is why and how mistakes are made.
Pros
Cons
High employee turnover.
Homecare
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON18 April 2017
No perks, no befits, no security. Never sure if you are going to work that day or week. No guarantees, stressful when you have bills to pay. You get capped at a certain amount of money and only make more if there is a new contract. The job never changes and there is no advancement.
Pros
Only work days
Cons
No benefits, no advancement, no sick days
Awsome
LPN (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS7 March 2017
love my job and the fact that you work alone but yet work as a team everyone is very responsive to any questions, we connect every morning and throughout the day. its flexible work, i love the travel, clients are so welcoming. i just love my job.
Good people make for a great wrokplace.
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Middlesex Centre, ON4 March 2017
Staff are dedicated people who are committed to serving the clients as and treating them with respect.The organization has diverse programs and services for a wide variety of needs.
great place to work. Able to arrange day to your own schedule
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON20 February 2017
You receive your list of pt to see daily, you call them and arrange a mutual time for your visit.
lots of education available and great resources
can work as many hours or days as you would like
very flexible work schedule
Pros
mileage and time driving paid
Cons
long days, lots of miles travelled some days
Hsw
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS28 January 2017
I love the job but the mangerment is awful, for a company that is suppose to help people in the commuinty it doesnt value the workers and there needs when it comes to personal issue.
Run while you can!!!!
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2017
Management is horrible. Absolutely no interdepartmental communication,, no support for the nurses., bullying face to face and through emails., no flexibility with schedule., poor pay.,
Pros
Most families are great
Cons
Please see description
Productive workplace with growth opportunities
Quality Lead-Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
Productive workplace with growth opportunities, I have gained much knowledge of the healthcare sector in my 12 years of employment within their organization.
staff i work with
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 December 2016
Hard working kind co workers that will help fellow staff when ever they can, with information, supplies or a shoulder to lean on. great bunch of people to work with
Pros
independent working environment
Cons
driving in difficult conditions
Be prepared to be run off your feet
RPN (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 December 2016
Unreasonable number clients to see in one day.
On call shift pay $5 for the entire night (1630-0800) unless you have to leave your home for a visit; no extra $ for triage phone calls.
No concern for work/life/family balance.
Management does not listen to it's front line staff.
Pros
Client care. Nursing skills. Helping those in need.
Cons
Long hours. Pay scale. Intrusive on personal time.
awsome
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NS14 November 2016
I loved working for von, it was different then going around home to home. but I got a feel for it and ended up loving the job. I would like to do something like this again
Pros
people
Cons
angry people
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2016
As a new graduate I learned a lot of skills that I didn't know were apart of community nursing. Work as a team to get through the long busy days.
Good Experiences
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 October 2016
I came from a high stressed, over worked and micromanaged environment where i walked on eggshells for years and went home in tears daily.
Coming to VON and meeting the staff in London was a breath of fresh air. The manager and CSAs were polite, helpful, and accomodating. Never had an issue with my pay and never felt like I was under-valued. The other nurses where helpful and willing to support each other. I truely felt apart of a team for the first time.
Pros
good team work and CSAs
Cons
paperwork outside of work and unpaid for.
Do Your Research
PSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
VON has the potential of being a phenomenal company But they truly lack team work! And don't support their psw they don't show appreciation for them, it's bad enough when your sent to see 4 or 5 clients at once and end up being late to them all and get cussed out either by them or family! I personally never experienced any bullying but the time with them was short the people who orientated me warned me about them during orientation process told me many people get hired but the end up quiting 3 to 5 months later it was just crazy to see that I only lasted 4 to 5 months after writing a letter to management about my leaving the company! There is only one person who I tried to help me through out the way and made my runs manageable her name is ______ and I grew to respect that women. If your trying to find a job you enjoy doing VON will make you hate nursing lol so do yourself a favor only way to survive working with such a company is to literqy take control of yourself your not a slave write down every client you went to their location write down your kms record your breaks if you even have and you write down how long you stayed with the client they can screw up your pay time to time so it's best to keep your own record so if you must defend your job and your salary you can provide hard proof
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Unorganized, unfair, stressful
Great setting full of opportunities to make a difference in the world.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 August 2016
Service provision in the community is challenging. The struggle to provide quality care and balance budgets is increasingly difficult. The greatest challenge for all health care professionals is to hold the space for positive behaviour, positive Outlook and teamwork. I have worked alongside some of the most dedicated hardworking professionals at VON. I love developing my skills to be the best I can be, working with amazing teams of professionals and making a positive difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
Ability to work with clients in their environment where you can make the greatest impact.
Cons
challenge to find ways to maximize outcomes within limited visits.
Great team to work with
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON, London, ON3 August 2016
I have worked with the VON for almost 6 years now and started there as a new grad. I have grown immensely as a practitioner in that time given the supports and mentorship available. My team is very supportive of each other. The company has allowed me to advance in my skill sets however I choose and I'm given the freedom to complete my own scheduling provided the clients are being seen. Client-centred practice always remains the focus and is highly important in my own practice framework.
Pros
Support for advancement, mentorship, peer support, flexibility in own scheduling/autonomy, ability to work from home when appropriate
Cons
Use of own vehicle (but reimbursed)
only positive thing: I got another job!
csa (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON3 August 2016
Backstabbing, intimidation, write-ups over trivia, lack of training, no support from management (supervisor on up), bullying can't be reported to management as they are part of it.

Don't apply! You'll be miserable!
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Fun volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 July 2016
Friendly environment, cool clients, fun work. I really enjoy working here. Instructors and supervisors are helpful and professional.
Management is very poor
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 June 2016
Very stressful, singled out, very poor management from the psw side of things, no support. Keep looking, zero advancement. Plays favorites.
Pros
a paycheque that is sometimes right
Cons
Management very very poor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9