VON Canada Employee Reviews

Be prepared to be run off your feet
RPN (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 December 2016
Unreasonable number clients to see in one day.
On call shift pay $5 for the entire night (1630-0800) unless you have to leave your home for a visit; no extra $ for triage phone calls.
No concern for work/life/family balance.
Management does not listen to it's front line staff.
Pros
Client care. Nursing skills. Helping those in need.
Cons
Long hours. Pay scale. Intrusive on personal time.
awsome
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NS14 November 2016
I loved working for von, it was different then going around home to home. but I got a feel for it and ended up loving the job. I would like to do something like this again
Pros
people
Cons
angry people
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2016
As a new graduate I learned a lot of skills that I didn't know were apart of community nursing. Work as a team to get through the long busy days.
Good Experiences
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 October 2016
I came from a high stressed, over worked and micromanaged environment where i walked on eggshells for years and went home in tears daily.
Coming to VON and meeting the staff in London was a breath of fresh air. The manager and CSAs were polite, helpful, and accomodating. Never had an issue with my pay and never felt like I was under-valued. The other nurses where helpful and willing to support each other. I truely felt apart of a team for the first time.
Pros
good team work and CSAs
Cons
paperwork outside of work and unpaid for.
Do Your Research
PSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
VON has the potential of being a phenomenal company But they truly lack team work! And don't support their psw they don't show appreciation for them, it's bad enough when your sent to see 4 or 5 clients at once and end up being late to them all and get cussed out either by them or family! I personally never experienced any bullying but the time with them was short the people who orientated me warned me about them during orientation process told me many people get hired but the end up quiting 3 to 5 months later it was just crazy to see that I only lasted 4 to 5 months after writing a letter to management about my leaving the company! There is only one person who I tried to help me through out the way and made my runs manageable her name is ______ and I grew to respect that women. If your trying to find a job you enjoy doing VON will make you hate nursing lol so do yourself a favor only way to survive working with such a company is to literqy take control of yourself your not a slave write down every client you went to their location write down your kms record your breaks if you even have and you write down how long you stayed with the client they can screw up your pay time to time so it's best to keep your own record so if you must defend your job and your salary you can provide hard proof
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Unorganized, unfair, stressful
Great setting full of opportunities to make a difference in the world.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 August 2016
Service provision in the community is challenging. The struggle to provide quality care and balance budgets is increasingly difficult. The greatest challenge for all health care professionals is to hold the space for positive behaviour, positive Outlook and teamwork. I have worked alongside some of the most dedicated hardworking professionals at VON. I love developing my skills to be the best I can be, working with amazing teams of professionals and making a positive difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
Ability to work with clients in their environment where you can make the greatest impact.
Cons
challenge to find ways to maximize outcomes within limited visits.
Great team to work with
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON, London, ON3 August 2016
I have worked with the VON for almost 6 years now and started there as a new grad. I have grown immensely as a practitioner in that time given the supports and mentorship available. My team is very supportive of each other. The company has allowed me to advance in my skill sets however I choose and I'm given the freedom to complete my own scheduling provided the clients are being seen. Client-centred practice always remains the focus and is highly important in my own practice framework.
Pros
Support for advancement, mentorship, peer support, flexibility in own scheduling/autonomy, ability to work from home when appropriate
Cons
Use of own vehicle (but reimbursed)
only positive thing: I got another job!
csa (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON3 August 2016
Backstabbing, intimidation, write-ups over trivia, lack of training, no support from management (supervisor on up), bullying can't be reported to management as they are part of it.

Don't apply! You'll be miserable!
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Fun volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 July 2016
Friendly environment, cool clients, fun work. I really enjoy working here. Instructors and supervisors are helpful and professional.
Management is very poor
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 June 2016
Very stressful, singled out, very poor management from the psw side of things, no support. Keep looking, zero advancement. Plays favorites.
Pros
a paycheque that is sometimes right
Cons
Management very very poor.
great schedual poor managment lack of supportive environment very disorganized
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2016
great job for family time off almost every weekend three weeks paid vacation a year....constant change in management and lack of morale... wage freezing since 2 years ago... no appreciation for helping out....the patients are amazing, working with them in their homes kept me at this job for a 5 years....cant imagine a better way to care for patients then in their most comfortable surrounding very unique and flexable work hours.
Pros
monday to friday day shifts
Cons
poor organization and poor managment
Run Job Seeker Run
CSA (Current Employee) –  Ontario25 May 2016
Working for this company has been a nightmare. It started out ok, but went downhill quickly. Just so you know there are no pensions or vacation time like the ad states except for full time which you will never get a full time position working here. If you take vacation you are not paid for it as you are only part time and no health benefits either. Unless, you relinquish your "In Lieu of Benefits".
There is no such thing as career advancement as a csa. Working for VON you feel like you have no life outside of your job.
Management micro-manages. The training does not prepare you well enough. You get 2 weeks training and then you are just thrown into it. You will have slow days and then days where you can hardly get away from your desk.
VON has filed Credit Protection twice now. They eliminated 5 provinces and are making cuts wherever they can. They don't look at what you do for your job, they only look at the numbers. There is no job stability for this employer at this point in time. They do not keep you informed of the things happening within VON. No meetings to let you know what is going on. It is all done behind your back. One day you work there and the next they call you in eliminate your position or cut your work hours.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Micro-managed, no career advancement, no job stability
Abandon hope all ye who enter here
CSA (Current Employee) –  NS8 May 2016
RUN the other way - do NOT consider working in this viper's pit.
Rude, condescending and bullying behavior all tolerated, even rewarded. A bunch of narcissistic, self-absorbed bimbos with a collective IQ in the double digits. Management is no better as it allows all of this BS to flourish. VON is in trouble financially and managers and directors are resigning left and right before this sinking ship goes completely under. No future here.
Pros
Cons
Horrible, misogynistic work environment
awesome
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON7 March 2016
awesome job awesome place had a blast working there. Cant wait to volunteer there! Will miss all staff and all clients. really enjoyed the environment
Beware!
RPN (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 February 2016
The branch is mismanaged, management utilizes bullying tactics, staff are extremely underpaid, under valued, and overworked. Clients continually complain about how disorganized the branch is. VON Canada has closed all its operations except in Ontatio an Nova Scotia and filed for creditor protection. If the mismanagement continues Ontario and NS will be next. This job creeps into your home life and will take over if you let it. You are not finished work when you are done seeing your clients. There is a significant amount of paperwork that must be done on your own time which you are not reimbursed for. The per km rate is far below average. Very high staff turnover and staff dissatisfaction. These people will use you until you realize you've had enough and take what's left of your self-respect and summon the courage to leave, and when you do, be assured they won't care at all. You're just another number and they'll move on to the next one and chew them up an spit them out. HR style: chew, spit, repeat.
Pros
Working with clients with diverse needs of all ages
Cons
Mismanagement, bullying, low pay, not being paid for paperwork teleconferences etc
good place to work
community and supportive housing assisting (Current Employee) –  peel region8 February 2016
its a good place to work but sometimes frustrating and annoying leaders. there is a good team work ,you hardly meet your co- workers
Pros
long hours if you are ready to work
Cons
distance btween clients
Hardest job i ever haf
RN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 November 2015
This job will suck the life out of you. You are never believed about anything. Managment is very poor and threatening. Best job i ever left
Pros
Cons
bullied beyond belief
Great place to work and great people to work with!!
Respite Relief Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2015
This is a company that is supportive and committed to their clients and staff. They also have a high level of integrity and respect for all staff and employees. Great place to work!!
Great Company
Caseload Planner (Former Employee) –  Halifax2 September 2015
I worked parttime evenings with a great group of people, Min supervision. The office started to get crowded as the company grew
would not recommend
PSW (Former Employee) –  HNPE17 August 2015
Poorly managed. Always denying some staff holidays. Favortism with management and staff for hrs and time off. No rights to refuse if you feel unsafe going into a home.
Pros
clients and knowing you have made someones day by the smile on there face

2.9