VON Canada

VON Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
would not recommend
PSW (Former Employee), HNPEAugust 17, 2015
Pros: clients and knowing you have made someones day by the smile on there face
Poorly managed. Always denying some staff holidays. Favortism with management and staff for hrs and time off. No rights to refuse if you feel unsafe going into a home.
It is an amazing company to work for
PSWs (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 16, 2015
It is a hard job if you are looking for challenging, multicultural and team work type of atmosphere to work this is one of the best company in Canada to work for in health care profession.
Feeling of Accomplishment by Helping Others, Enjoyable Interaction with Clients and Clients Families, Enjoy Working with Co-workers as A Team..
CCA (Current Employee), Truro, NSJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Work indpendently, manage your own time somewhat, sense of fullfillment for assisting others, can be fun and entertaining, more opportunuty increases with senority.
Cons: Long shifts, Work evenings, weekends and holidays, maintainning a reliable car at all times, flexibilty can be challenging.
This job requires a person who is totally dedicated to helping others, feeling self-accomplishment without looking for monetary reward. (ex Salary, Recognition by Employer etc.)
You are required to work independently, with little or no immediate supervision and must be able to make Critical Decisions on your own, sometimes regarding Clients Health and sometimes life and death situations.
Client and Employee Confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Good Clients Bad Management & Office Staff
Personal Support (Former Employee), Thunder Bay OntarioJune 1, 2015
Pros: I had a job to pay my bills, Nice Clients
Cons: No Health Care, Negative Office Staff Only hires friends or family in the office
Great Clients, Terrible Office Staff very cold and uncaring, almost bullying you to fill clients that need to be seen if you are done. No medical or dental benefits for Personal Support Staff. Not allowed to say hello or chat to planners, Manager is terrible and out of touch every email sent is negative saying we are not doing our jobs right, never a pat on the back. Some planners are very rude, you are only hired in the office if you are family or know someone. Really cheap company very unorganized office can't find ppe and you have to refill you hand santizer little bottles when you go in. no lanyards and plastic id badges cheaply made. I am so glad I no longer work for this very negative company. At first I thought it was an honor to work for von but I soon found out it was worse than any other place I had worked. Very Sad that the office staff does not care. Oh and watch you're pay because mine was always less than what I made. Oh and they pay you a cheap precentage towards dental health benefits.
Youre Ros will always be screwed up. Lack of hours or too many it should be called unplanning
Started Good, Ended Bad
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Antigonish, Nova ScotiaMay 12, 2015
Pros: Salary and benifits were good, and lots of educational opportunities. Autonomy
Cons: Need clear guildelines for conduct that will not be tolerated.
Overall, I think this organization has a good reputation for delivering quality services to their clients. My experience began positively, but ended as one of the worst experiences in my long nursing career. I was bullied for over a year by a co worker. Neither management or union knew what to do with this employee, and even though I documented numerous incidents, it had to be proven. It appeared to me that there was more protection for the bully than the bullied.
Micromanaged, overly stressed environment
Admin (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 13, 2015
Pros: fantastic clients, fellow coworkers
Cons: unhealthy management
Management has strong personalities but not positive healthy people skills. Gets frustrated easy, no patience, does not like to work within a team as there is only one way to do things...their way. Sad that a great organization can't find more suitable management
Love my job!!
psw (Current Employee), windsor,ontarioApril 9, 2015
Pros: you give your own schedule
Good place to work. Management is good and coworkers are nice. More rewarding then a nursing home a slower paced. Clients are appreciative and always happy to see you.
Meaningful work, but lack of organization
Home Helper (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 24, 2014
Pros: meaningful work
Cons: lack of organization, no routine, minimal training
I loved working here for the fact that it was such meaningful work and I always felt like I was making someone's day better. The management were incredible nice, however, there was lack of organization between staff and management at the office. Clients were booked on stat holidays that we didn't get paid for, and we had to call those clients and apologize for not being there and have to move them to another day (I was very confused by this). There was not really any routine with the job as schedules were different all the time, and there definitely wasn't any sense of team as you were out on your own all week, except to drop your timesheet off at the office. Schedules were also tight somedays making it hard to get from client to client in time, or even eat a proper lunch for that matter. Overall, it's meaningful work but lack of organization within the office can cause some frustration.
Over Management with no accountability for poor managment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee), London OntarioMay 7, 2014
Pros: a decent benefits program and paid vacation
Cons: stressful, demanding, very poor managment and
The organization is top heavy with management and do not support, empower or train their employees properly, therefore setting them up for failure. They talk extensively about a positive work environment, but my experience is less than positive with sneaky and behind the curtain backstabbing by management. Accountability for management is non-existent as any errors or failures are immediately blamed on lower level staff. They pile on the work, but give you no additional support other that a "in house training" which was little more than a powerpoint presentation. Once you are "trained" you are expected to be an expert. Not much room for a life outside of work due to schedules constantly changing and shifts changing. Very confusing as the are constantly adding or changing policies, systems, practises. Very frustrating as you never seem to be able to stay on top of all the expectations. The people that suffer the most? The patients and lower rung staff.
Good place
Visiting Nursing Coordinator (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: good motivators
Cons: stressful setting
Overall a good place to work if you are a detail oriented fast paced individual

About VON Canada

VON (Victorian Order of Nurses) is dedicated to being a leader in the delivery of innovative comprehensive health and social services – Read more