VON Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Do Your Research
PSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2016
VON has the potential of being a phenomenal company But they truly lack team work! And don't support their psw they don't show appreciation for them, it's bad enough when your sent to see 4 or 5 clients at once and end up being late to them all and get cussed out either by them or family! I personally never experienced any bullying but the time with them was short the people who orientated me warned me about them during orientation process told me many people get hired but the end up quiting 3 to 5 months later it was just crazy to see that I only lasted 4 to 5 months after writing a letter to management about my leaving the company! There is only one person who I tried to help me through out the way and made my runs manageable her name is ______ and I grew to respect that women. If your trying to find a job you enjoy doing VON will make you hate nursing lol so do yourself a favor only way to survive working with such a company is to literqy take control of yourself your not a slave write down every client you went to their location write down your kms record your breaks if you even have and you write down how long you stayed with the client they can screw up your pay time to time so it's best to keep your own record so if you must defend your job and your salary you can provide hard proof
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Unorganized, unfair, stressful
Great setting full of opportunities to make a difference in the world.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 3, 2016
Service provision in the community is challenging. The struggle to provide quality care and balance budgets is increasingly difficult. The greatest challenge for all health care professionals is to hold the space for positive behaviour, positive Outlook and teamwork. I have worked alongside some of the most dedicated hardworking professionals at VON. I love developing my skills to be the best I can be, working with amazing teams of professionals and making a positive difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
Ability to work with clients in their environment where you can make the greatest impact.
Cons
challenge to find ways to maximize outcomes within limited visits.
Great team to work with
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON, London, ONAugust 3, 2016
I have worked with the VON for almost 6 years now and started there as a new grad. I have grown immensely as a practitioner in that time given the supports and mentorship available. My team is very supportive of each other. The company has allowed me to advance in my skill sets however I choose and I'm given the freedom to complete my own scheduling provided the clients are being seen. Client-centred practice always remains the focus and is highly important in my own practice framework.
Pros
Support for advancement, mentorship, peer support, flexibility in own scheduling/autonomy, ability to work from home when appropriate
Cons
Use of own vehicle (but reimbursed)
only positive thing: I got another job!
csa (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONAugust 3, 2016
Backstabbing, intimidation, write-ups over trivia, lack of training, no support from management (supervisor on up), bullying can't be reported to management as they are part of it.

Don't apply! You'll be miserable!
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Fun volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 27, 2016
Friendly environment, cool clients, fun work. I really enjoy working here. Instructors and supervisors are helpful and professional.
Management is very poor
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 27, 2016
Very stressful, singled out, very poor management from the psw side of things, no support. Keep looking, zero advancement. Plays favorites.
Pros
a paycheque that is sometimes right
Cons
Management very very poor.
Run Job Seeker Run
CSA (Current Employee) –  OntarioMay 25, 2016
Working for this company has been a nightmare. It started out ok, but went downhill quickly. Just so you know there are no pensions or vacation time like the ad states except for full time which you will never get a full time position working here. If you take vacation you are not paid for it as you are only part time and no health benefits either. Unless, you relinquish your "In Lieu of Benefits".
There is no such thing as career advancement as a csa. Working for VON you feel like you have no life outside of your job.
Management micro-manages. The training does not prepare you well enough. You get 2 weeks training and then you are just thrown into it. You will have slow days and then days where you can hardly get away from your desk.
VON has filed Credit Protection twice now. They eliminated 5 provinces and are making cuts wherever they can. They don't look at what you do for your job, they only look at the numbers. There is no job stability for this employer at this point in time. They do not keep you informed of the things happening within VON. No meetings to let you know what is going on. It is all done behind your back. One day you work there and the next they call you in eliminate your position or cut your work hours.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Micro-managed, no career advancement, no job stability
Abandon hope all ye who enter here
CSA (Current Employee) –  NSMay 8, 2016
RUN the other way - do NOT consider working in this viper's pit.
Rude, condescending and bullying behavior all tolerated, even rewarded. A bunch of narcissistic, self-absorbed bimbos with a collective IQ in the double digits. Management is no better as it allows all of this BS to flourish. VON is in trouble financially and managers and directors are resigning left and right before this sinking ship goes completely under. No future here.
Pros
Cons
Horrible, misogynistic work environment
awesome
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONMarch 7, 2016
awesome job awesome place had a blast working there. Cant wait to volunteer there! Will miss all staff and all clients. really enjoyed the environment
Beware!
RPN (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 20, 2016
The branch is mismanaged, management utilizes bullying tactics, staff are extremely underpaid, under valued, and overworked. Clients continually complain about how disorganized the branch is. VON Canada has closed all its operations except in Ontatio an Nova Scotia and filed for creditor protection. If the mismanagement continues Ontario and NS will be next. This job creeps into your home life and will take over if you let it. You are not finished work when you are done seeing your clients. There is a significant amount of paperwork that must be done on your own time which you are not reimbursed for. The per km rate is far below average. Very high staff turnover and staff dissatisfaction. These people will use you until you realize you've had enough and take what's left of your self-respect and summon the courage to leave, and when you do, be assured they won't care at all. You're just another number and they'll move on to the next one and chew them up an spit them out. HR style: chew, spit, repeat.
Pros
Working with clients with diverse needs of all ages
Cons
Mismanagement, bullying, low pay, not being paid for paperwork teleconferences etc
good place to work
community and supportive housing assisting (Current Employee) –  peel regionFebruary 8, 2016
its a good place to work but sometimes frustrating and annoying leaders. there is a good team work ,you hardly meet your co- workers
Pros
long hours if you are ready to work
Cons
distance btween clients
Hardest job i ever haf
RN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONNovember 16, 2015
This job will suck the life out of you. You are never believed about anything. Managment is very poor and threatening. Best job i ever left
Pros
Cons
bullied beyond belief
Great place to work and great people to work with!!
Respite Relief Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2015
This is a company that is supportive and committed to their clients and staff. They also have a high level of integrity and respect for all staff and employees. Great place to work!!
Great Company
Caseload Planner (Former Employee) –  HalifaxSeptember 2, 2015
I worked parttime evenings with a great group of people, Min supervision. The office started to get crowded as the company grew
would not recommend
PSW (Former Employee) –  HNPEAugust 17, 2015
Poorly managed. Always denying some staff holidays. Favortism with management and staff for hrs and time off. No rights to refuse if you feel unsafe going into a home.
Pros
clients and knowing you have made someones day by the smile on there face
It is an amazing company to work for
PSWs (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 16, 2015
It is a hard job if you are looking for challenging, multicultural and team work type of atmosphere to work this is one of the best company in Canada to work for in health care profession.
Feeling of Accomplishment by Helping Others, Enjoyable Interaction with Clients and Clients Families, Enjoy Working with Co-workers as A Team..
CCA (Current Employee) –  Truro, NSJuly 6, 2015
This job requires a person who is totally dedicated to helping others, feeling self-accomplishment without looking for monetary reward. (ex Salary, Recognition by Employer etc.)
You are required to work independently, with little or no immediate supervision and must be able to make Critical Decisions on your own, sometimes regarding Clients Health and sometimes life and death situations.
Client and Employee Confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Pros
Work indpendently, manage your own time somewhat, sense of fullfillment for assisting others, can be fun and entertaining, more opportunuty increases with senority.
Cons
Long shifts, Work evenings, weekends and holidays, maintainning a reliable car at all times, flexibilty can be challenging.
Good Clients Bad Management & Office Staff
Personal Support (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay OntarioJune 1, 2015
Great Clients, Terrible Office Staff very cold and uncaring, almost bullying you to fill clients that need to be seen if you are done. No medical or dental benefits for Personal Support Staff. Not allowed to say hello or chat to planners, Manager is terrible and out of touch every email sent is negative saying we are not doing our jobs right, never a pat on the back. Some planners are very rude, you are only hired in the office if you are family or know someone. Really cheap company very unorganized office can't find ppe and you have to refill you hand santizer little bottles when you go in. no lanyards and plastic id badges cheaply made. I am so glad I no longer work for this very negative company. At first I thought it was an honor to work for von but I soon found out it was worse than any other place I had worked. Very Sad that the office staff does not care. Oh and watch you're pay because mine was always less than what I made. Oh and they pay you a cheap precentage towards dental health benefits.
Youre Ros will always be screwed up. Lack of hours or too many it should be called unplanning
Pros
I had a job to pay my bills, Nice Clients
Cons
No Health Care, Negative Office Staff Only hires friends or family in the office
Started Good, Ended Bad
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, Nova ScotiaMay 12, 2015
Overall, I think this organization has a good reputation for delivering quality services to their clients. My experience began positively, but ended as one of the worst experiences in my long nursing career. I was bullied for over a year by a co worker. Neither management or union knew what to do with this employee, and even though I documented numerous incidents, it had to be proven. It appeared to me that there was more protection for the bully than the bullied.
Pros
Salary and benifits were good, and lots of educational opportunities. Autonomy
Cons
Need clear guildelines for conduct that will not be tolerated.
Micromanaged, overly stressed environment
Admin (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 13, 2015
Management has strong personalities but not positive healthy people skills. Gets frustrated easy, no patience, does not like to work within a team as there is only one way to do things...their way. Sad that a great organization can't find more suitable management
Pros
fantastic clients, fellow coworkers
Cons
unhealthy management

2.9