VON Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Management is very poor
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 27, 2016
Very stressful, singled out, very poor management from the psw side of things, no support. Keep looking, zero advancement. Plays favorites.
Pros
a paycheque that is sometimes right
Cons
Management very very poor.
Run Job Seeker Run
CSA (Current Employee) –  OntarioMay 25, 2016
Working for this company has been a nightmare. It started out ok, but went downhill quickly. Just so you know there are no pensions or vacation time like the ad states except for full time which you will never get a full time position working here. If you take vacation you are not paid for it as you are only part time and no health benefits either. Unless, you relinquish your "In Lieu of Benefits".
There is no such thing as career advancement as a csa. Working for VON you feel like you have no life outside of your job.
Management micro-manages. The training does not prepare you well enough. You get 2 weeks training and then you are just thrown into it. You will have slow days and then days where you can hardly get away from your desk.
VON has filed Credit Protection twice now. They eliminated 5 provinces and are making cuts wherever they can. They don't look at what you do for your job, they only look at the numbers. There is no job stability for this employer at this point in time. They do not keep you informed of the things happening within VON. No meetings to let you know what is going on. It is all done behind your back. One day you work there and the next they call you in eliminate your position or cut your work hours.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Micro-managed, no career advancement, no job stability
Abandon hope all ye who enter here
CSA (Current Employee) –  NSMay 8, 2016
RUN the other way - do NOT consider working in this viper's pit.
Rude, condescending and bullying behavior all tolerated, even rewarded. A bunch of narcissistic, self-absorbed bimbos with a collective IQ in the double digits. Management is no better as it allows all of this BS to flourish. VON is in trouble financially and managers and directors are resigning left and right before this sinking ship goes completely under. No future here.
Pros
Cons
Horrible, misogynistic work environment
awesome
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONMarch 7, 2016
awesome job awesome place had a blast working there. Cant wait to volunteer there! Will miss all staff and all clients. really enjoyed the environment
Beware!
RPN (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 20, 2016
The branch is mismanaged, management utilizes bullying tactics, staff are extremely underpaid, under valued, and overworked. Clients continually complain about how disorganized the branch is. VON Canada has closed all its operations except in Ontatio an Nova Scotia and filed for creditor protection. If the mismanagement continues Ontario and NS will be next. This job creeps into your home life and will take over if you let it. You are not finished work when you are done seeing your clients. There is a significant amount of paperwork that must be done on your own time which you are not reimbursed for. The per km rate is far below average. Very high staff turnover and staff dissatisfaction. These people will use you until you realize you've had enough and take what's left of your self-respect and summon the courage to leave, and when you do, be assured they won't care at all. You're just another number and they'll move on to the next one and chew them up an spit them out. HR style: chew, spit, repeat.
Pros
Working with clients with diverse needs of all ages
Cons
Mismanagement, bullying, low pay, not being paid for paperwork teleconferences etc
good place to work
community and supportive housing assisting (Current Employee) –  peel regionFebruary 8, 2016
its a good place to work but sometimes frustrating and annoying leaders. there is a good team work ,you hardly meet your co- workers
Pros
long hours if you are ready to work
Cons
distance btween clients
Hardest job i ever haf
RN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONNovember 16, 2015
This job will suck the life out of you. You are never believed about anything. Managment is very poor and threatening. Best job i ever left
Pros
Cons
bullied beyond belief
Great place to work and great people to work with!!
Respite Relief Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2015
This is a company that is supportive and committed to their clients and staff. They also have a high level of integrity and respect for all staff and employees. Great place to work!!
Great Company
Caseload Planner (Former Employee) –  HalifaxSeptember 2, 2015
I worked parttime evenings with a great group of people, Min supervision. The office started to get crowded as the company grew
would not recommend
PSW (Former Employee) –  HNPEAugust 17, 2015
Poorly managed. Always denying some staff holidays. Favortism with management and staff for hrs and time off. No rights to refuse if you feel unsafe going into a home.
Pros
clients and knowing you have made someones day by the smile on there face
It is an amazing company to work for
PSWs (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 16, 2015
It is a hard job if you are looking for challenging, multicultural and team work type of atmosphere to work this is one of the best company in Canada to work for in health care profession.
Feeling of Accomplishment by Helping Others, Enjoyable Interaction with Clients and Clients Families, Enjoy Working with Co-workers as A Team..
CCA (Current Employee) –  Truro, NSJuly 6, 2015
This job requires a person who is totally dedicated to helping others, feeling self-accomplishment without looking for monetary reward. (ex Salary, Recognition by Employer etc.)
You are required to work independently, with little or no immediate supervision and must be able to make Critical Decisions on your own, sometimes regarding Clients Health and sometimes life and death situations.
Client and Employee Confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Pros
Work indpendently, manage your own time somewhat, sense of fullfillment for assisting others, can be fun and entertaining, more opportunuty increases with senority.
Cons
Long shifts, Work evenings, weekends and holidays, maintainning a reliable car at all times, flexibilty can be challenging.
Good Clients Bad Management & Office Staff
Personal Support (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay OntarioJune 1, 2015
Great Clients, Terrible Office Staff very cold and uncaring, almost bullying you to fill clients that need to be seen if you are done. No medical or dental benefits for Personal Support Staff. Not allowed to say hello or chat to planners, Manager is terrible and out of touch every email sent is negative saying we are not doing our jobs right, never a pat on the back. Some planners are very rude, you are only hired in the office if you are family or know someone. Really cheap company very unorganized office can't find ppe and you have to refill you hand santizer little bottles when you go in. no lanyards and plastic id badges cheaply made. I am so glad I no longer work for this very negative company. At first I thought it was an honor to work for von but I soon found out it was worse than any other place I had worked. Very Sad that the office staff does not care. Oh and watch you're pay because mine was always less than what I made. Oh and they pay you a cheap precentage towards dental health benefits.
Youre Ros will always be screwed up. Lack of hours or too many it should be called unplanning
Pros
I had a job to pay my bills, Nice Clients
Cons
No Health Care, Negative Office Staff Only hires friends or family in the office
Started Good, Ended Bad
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, Nova ScotiaMay 12, 2015
Overall, I think this organization has a good reputation for delivering quality services to their clients. My experience began positively, but ended as one of the worst experiences in my long nursing career. I was bullied for over a year by a co worker. Neither management or union knew what to do with this employee, and even though I documented numerous incidents, it had to be proven. It appeared to me that there was more protection for the bully than the bullied.
Pros
Salary and benifits were good, and lots of educational opportunities. Autonomy
Cons
Need clear guildelines for conduct that will not be tolerated.
Micromanaged, overly stressed environment
Admin (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 13, 2015
Management has strong personalities but not positive healthy people skills. Gets frustrated easy, no patience, does not like to work within a team as there is only one way to do things...their way. Sad that a great organization can't find more suitable management
Pros
fantastic clients, fellow coworkers
Cons
unhealthy management
Love my job!!
psw (Current Employee) –  windsor,ontarioApril 9, 2015
Good place to work. Management is good and coworkers are nice. More rewarding then a nursing home a slower paced. Clients are appreciative and always happy to see you.
Pros
you give your own schedule
Meaningful work, but lack of organization
Home Helper (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 24, 2014
I loved working here for the fact that it was such meaningful work and I always felt like I was making someone's day better. The management were incredible nice, however, there was lack of organization between staff and management at the office. Clients were booked on stat holidays that we didn't get paid for, and we had to call those clients and apologize for not being there and have to move them to another day (I was very confused by this). There was not really any routine with the job as schedules were different all the time, and there definitely wasn't any sense of team as you were out on your own all week, except to drop your timesheet off at the office. Schedules were also tight somedays making it hard to get from client to client in time, or even eat a proper lunch for that matter. Overall, it's meaningful work but lack of organization within the office can cause some frustration.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
lack of organization, no routine, minimal training
Over Management with no accountability for poor managment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  London OntarioMay 7, 2014
The organization is top heavy with management and do not support, empower or train their employees properly, therefore setting them up for failure. They talk extensively about a positive work environment, but my experience is less than positive with sneaky and behind the curtain backstabbing by management. Accountability for management is non-existent as any errors or failures are immediately blamed on lower level staff. They pile on the work, but give you no additional support other that a "in house training" which was little more than a powerpoint presentation. Once you are "trained" you are expected to be an expert. Not much room for a life outside of work due to schedules constantly changing and shifts changing. Very confusing as the are constantly adding or changing policies, systems, practises. Very frustrating as you never seem to be able to stay on top of all the expectations. The people that suffer the most? The patients and lower rung staff.
Pros
a decent benefits program and paid vacation
Cons
stressful, demanding, very poor managment and
About my work.
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stewiacke, NSMarch 24, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working with this company. I had a good clientelle. Was always happy to do my job. I learned alot about the different disabilities, that I worked with. I also learned alot about different cultures. I enjoyed working with all the different workers. The hardest part of the job is when you lose a client to their illness. Meeting new people and finding out about their lives. Very much enjoyed my clients.
Pros
being able to provide the day to day living skills, to clients . also, seeing the client happier that they get to stay in their own homes.
Good place
Visiting Nursing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Overall a good place to work if you are a detail oriented fast paced individual
Pros
good motivators
Cons
stressful setting

2.4