Voice Construction OPCO ULC

Voice Construction OPCO ULC Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Safety Oriented company
Lead Hand/Ground worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2015
Pros: the food is great also camp was excelent
Cons: not enough hours
my typical day at work would begin with a safety meeting and then we would have our job scope for the day.
what I learned is that safety is number one on any job site to be a good brother's/sister/s keeper to work as a team and get the job done safely.
Management was great work scopes were organized treated workers with respect and again safety is number 1 it made for a productive incident free day.
the co worker were tight the upmost respect between workers made for a breeze of a working day again incident free in other words we work as a team.
the hardest part of the job is sometimes was waiting for permits JHA's and ground disturbance.
the job was very enjoyable the crew was like family the chemistry was very tight.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2015
Pros: Home everyday
Cons: not as many hours as a camp jobs
Great company and people to for with. Best part of the job location is being at home everyday. I've learned that loyalty does pay off.
hard work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), fort mcmurray albertaApril 12, 2015
Pros: camp
Cons: never home
it was long days hard work goood people for the most part we worked with ... we were alll friends... management was not the greatest but we all got treated fairly as long as we showed up and did our jobs .
review written down below
equipment operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 20, 2015
Pros: we had a bbq on our last shift
Cons: weather would shut down the job
voice construction is a company that does an excellent job,takes pride in doing the work in a safe well executed manner.that is why I enjoy working for them
Always happy to get to work in the morning
Integration Planning Coordinator (Current Employee), McMurray, AlbertaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great team to work with
Cons: driving highway 63 not always the best
The day kicks off with a safety meeting. Review any unfinished business from yesterday. Prepare for client meeting. Follow up with client meeting requirements and reports. Site inspections. Report on progress and quality assurance. Sun-contractor meeting / coordinating, review plans. Provide support as required.
safety minded comfortable work enviroment
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee), AlbertaFebruary 26, 2015
Worked for them for over 2.5 years on several sites. Good foreman and superintendents HR staff always helpful and friendly.
Productive and fun workplace with really nice IT department
IT Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton ABFebruary 22, 2015
It was my first job and great experience. Really helpful and fun loving collagues. I would really want to work there full time.
Lucky if working
Heavy Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 21, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: no work life balance
Long hours. Hard to tell when you have time off. Good pay. Sometimes you get the opportunity to operate several pieces of equipment a day. I am not sure how Voice is doing for long term prospect.
Good company to work for
Excavator Operator (Former Employee), NWR RedwaterDecember 2, 2014
I enjoyed working for them, They were good to me and I'd work for them again. My foreman were all great and fair, easy to get along with. The money was great but the shift could've been better. That has no bearing on the company though.
Tough work to do in a busy plant but you get lots of support
Operator (Current Employee), Surmont IIOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and lots of support from all levels of supervision
Cons: too busy with way to much stuff going on around us, kinda keeps you on edge all the time, but thats a plant for ya.
I disagree with some of the comments already made and agree with others about this worksite. The people that get in trouble with managment almost always deserved what they got and stayed longer than they should have. As for supervisors yelling, cmon, in this day and age is that really ever going to happen on a modern work site. These are all comments made by disgruntaled people who don't know how to work and clearly should not have been there in the first place.There are close to 5000 people working on that site so its very busy and is often hard to even get around to do your work and it's sometimes slow as to keep us safe. Ive heard of several cases where superintendents have paid for meals and tickets out of their own pocket to get people home for family emergencies so how can you beat that kind of support. I guess we all get out what we put in, Great place to work with free flights and a good camp, Nuff said.
voice construction
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2014
Pros: free bottled water
Cons: 1 drive to get to work every morning
tailgate meeting at the trailer
dropped off to our equipment
perform our pre trip inspection and fill out log book
fill out flra and perform radio check
perform task safe and effectively
rock trucks are dumping to me at the dump i obtain frequent communication with them at all times
cab to cab or free dumping depending on the flow of traffic
3 metre birms if free dumping or 3 m apart from dozer if cab to cab
i honk the horn once to let operators know where they need to dump
end of the day preform post trip 4 point contact as im dismounting
i enjoy my job it keeps me busy im always reliable im good at what i do.
if you enjoy what you do work shouldnt have a hard part.
i enjoy everything i do and the people i work with but just sunday october 5 got a call saying the job has come to an end.
Worst Place to Work Ever
Labourer (Current Employee), Surmont IISeptember 23, 2014
Pros: nice view in camp
Cons: pay, camp, management, hr in edm, other workers, direction, drugs
Currently work for Voice at Surmont II Conoco Phillips
Wow, worst job I have every had in my life.
Everyone is treated like garbage by foreman and management, horrible direction, horrible pay, hr lies to you to get you in, then you are stuck 5 hrs north of edmonton with no way home so you stick out your shift.
There is a 78% turnover rate here! One foreman on my first day of work told me hes seen 500 people come and go in the last 8 months, that was 3 weeks ago he said that, he quit 2 days ago on the spot.
There is no opportunity for advancement unless you really suck up to management, this is a bad place to be.
Stories of workers doing drugs off hood of vans and selling drugs in camp, camp is bad, 2 hrs for rain days, no travel pay, labourers are non union, everyone is unhappy here and always say they probably wont be back for the next shift.
Superintendent tries to scare people into liking him, this is by far the worst place I have worked in Alberta, let alone anywhere!
Also 10 hour days so you miss out on 14 hrs ot a week, I made the same at my last job at 28/hr than the 40/hr workers do!
Please, stay away, save your time.
Productive workplace.
Gradesmen, Pipe layer/Labourer (Current Employee), Redwater, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: the hours
Great employees. Work hours are much too long. The work was very challenging.
Edmonton Shop not a place for learning the trade
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great variety of equipment to learn on; great wages
Cons: extremely poor leadership on shop floor.
Service manager most of time won't give you the time of day and other techs. often step in instead. Social groups within maintenance dept do nothing to promote inclusion among new staff.
Abusive, Poorly organized and managed
Foreman/N.C.S.O. (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB Fort HillsAugust 3, 2014
Pros: union pay and benefits
Cons: abusive, poorly managed, political and very clicky.
Great atmosphere at the main office. Then once in the field…brutal!!! I was a foreman for this company. Very difficult to motivate employees to work when the micro managing superintendent abuses everyone and everything. Its like working in 1920. No meetings, no direction. Voice was hated by suncor and other trades. This company was trying to do a union bust so I won't even begin to describe the employee abuses that were going on. Multi million dollar site and we constantly had to beg and borrow from other trades. Worst company I have ever worked for. Then if that's not bad enough about 15hrs before you are eligible to join the union they lay you off. The turnover in this company is completely unreal.

October 27, 2014

Hello, We would like to apologize for the experience you had while working for Voice. We truly believe our success is driven by our employees and we want to ensure they are satisfied in their roles. We encourage all employees to be proactive in notifying their Supervisors and/or HR when situations arise so that we can resolve them. I can assure you that when issues are identified they are dealt with; the work environment on the project site you indicated in this review you were working at has changed since your departure. If you would like to further discuss your experience while working for Voice please contact our HR Department via 780-469-2895, and indicate you have a concern regarding your past employment with Voice.

Long days, hard work,good people, good pay
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 16, 2014
Pros: good work environment
Cons: only buddies of supervision get promotions reguardless of experience
I have worked for Voice off and on over the last few years as an equipment operator. They have usually treated me well and often hired me back when work was available. The only issues I have really seen is that if you are a non-white or a woman, your chances of being trained on different pieces of equipment or moving up into management are slim to none. This company is still very archaic in their thinking and methods.
Great company to work for, just don’t expect to move up unless you’re part of the old boys club.

October 27, 2014

Hello, Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience working for Voice. We are an equal opportunity employer and try to provide opportunities to all employees based on performance and ability. We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility. We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals. It is unfortunate that this is not what you saw. I encourage you to reach out to our HR department via 780-469-2895 so we can further discuss your experience while working for Voice. Please indicate that you have a concern regarding your past employment with us.

November 21, 2014

Thank you Voice Construction for responding to my review. I have chosen this particular forum as I would like to be able to work for this company again in the future. Your statement of "We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility" may be visible in the office but is not visible in the field. I personally do not have the the statistics regarding the the ratio of white males vs non-white males/women in field management postions but you do. Therefore, you do not need my input on the matter as all you need do is look into your own files. It is also my experirience that the statement of "We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals" is also flawed as in my experience most individuals promoted in the field seem to have close ties with the individual promoting them. Perhaps,I have not seen a wide enough example of the way Voice operates or I may not have a clear understanding of the promotion process. I hope this helps to clarify my prevoius statements and experiences.

Voice Construction
First Year Apprentice HD Mechanic (Former Employee), Edmonton albertaJuly 9, 2014
Pros: long hours and having fun
Cons: wasnt that safe work place.
I would start off doing oil changes in the lube bay and help other mechanics in the shop as well. i would wash equipment before servicing was to be done on them. would clean out cabs of equipment when needed to. organizer the equipment outside.
woud help the welder and do a bit of welding. remove engines trannys anything to do with getting dirty i was in there.
Amazing company
General Laborer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 1, 2014
Pros: fast paced, constant change, chance to travel
Cons: really hot during the summer and not being able to wear shorts and t-shirts
I loved working for them. it was fast paced and there was always fun even though we had to make sure we were still doing our job.
the blind leadng the blind
Finishing Hoe / Utility Operator (Former Employee), surmont IIJune 4, 2014
false promises , inept management , ridiculous turn over rate ,
Learned lots worked hard then got screwed!
Laborer (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 22, 2014
Spent a year and a half without being written up or disciplined, had an excellent working relationship with many of the employees. Really enjoyed working for the company for 98% of the time. Then Whammo!!! we are letting you go! Very Shocking and confusing.

About Voice Construction OPCO ULC

Voice Construction is a privately owned civil construction firm specializing in heavy industrial site preparation and related – Read more

Voice Construction OPCO ULC Photos