Voice Construction OPCO ULC Employee Reviews

Somethings are Terrible
Field Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
Excellent operators/ foreman's,but Superintendent was a lunatic .Lead Safety girl or i should say teenager with no people skills or safety skills and was only in that position because she was buddys with the company Super , Little girls club rules and favoritism.You have no one you can turn to who will listen to your concerns and if you do tell them, then you get "Laid Off" without a reason then they replace you even when you report a avoidable incident/situation ...it goes right under the rug and your deemed a troublemaker.You do not have a Voice at Voice.They did not practice what the preach which leaves you to guess on what the right thing to do is.Very Unfortunate
Pros
Ground workers and equipment operators were awesome people
Cons
superintendent and safety lead are not fit
Laid off Union Member while Union permit was kept.
Slave (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2017
was all good when I started there. Gradually work slowed down no big deal. Started to see "The Boys Group" forming and realized that I wasn't in that group. Got laid off just before Christmas with the promise to be hire back first thing when thing picked up. They kept a permit member on and people who had been there less time than me.
only worked there for 2 weeks
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB27 February 2017
again commute to fort sask was challenging, and I learned some new skills. immediate supervisors were ok and coworkers were good. hardest part of the job was being on traffic control and the most enjoyable was being part of a team.
Open and Fun Workplace
Construction Labourer/ Gradesperson/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
The workplace culture is very open and friendly. I've met a lot of great people and all of them have been very helpful with development of my construction skills.
Excellent atmosphere and welcoming team environment
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 January 2017
In regards to my position with this company, a typical day was fast paced and productive, always striving to develop more efficient construction plans to stay ahead of schedule and under budget.

The management was very approachable and supportive. They displayed keen business acumen and always welcomed ideas. Always professional and promoting a team environment.

The work culture was one of respect and camaraderie. The project crews were quite close and worked well together.
Everyone was able to depend on each others skill and position.

The hardest part of the job was having to layoff great workers at the end of the project.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the crew would come together in unison to support deadline completion and critical objectives. The high morale and sense of team accomplishment that ensued thereof proved quite rewarding for all.
Felt very insecure with GF's at site
Industrial Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2017
I worked hard because that was what I was paid for, but there were others who were not as hard working and got extra days of work. I was often called for safety violations because of work I had done under direction from foremen(?) I do not think there was a chance for advancement as they already had their friends picked out to move ahead. I have requested, on numerous occasions, information, i.e., ROE"S, pay info, safety ticket. and have gotten little or no help.
Pros
Cons
Told to get approval before performing tasks, safety reasons, then blasted for waiting around and not working.
use to be a good place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2016
WIth the down turn in the economy and so many other people laborers and heavy equipment operators
available. The longer term employees myself included, 5 years of service are expendable and are replaced by site management buddies. This is quite evident at Plains Midstream in Ft. Sask. It's not a case of what you know and how much knowledge you have or how long you have worked for Voice Const. It's a case of who you know and on this site who in management your a buddy with. It's to bad some sites are like this and this one is, but that's what happens when supervision is like bunch of kids.
Pros
safety points
Cons
immature and young supervision
Probably the best company I have ever worked for.
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Hardisty12 August 2016
Currently employed with Voice on a short-term project near Hardisty. I have to say that the management has created an atmosphere of very good cameraderie and everyone seems to really enjoy their time. I can't speak for other sites or other crews with Voice, but I am very impressed with this one, and have nothing but highest praise for them.

I would gladly work for them in the future.
Pros
Management shows that they actually care.
Cons
Not year-round work.
Dont go!!
Scraper operator (Former Employee) –  Hardisty, AB20 July 2016
They 100% mico manage. Pay is not worth the bs. Management is awesome accept for the foreman. They hire people that dont know any thing and must have worked at toys-r-us in the tonka section before getting into a buggy. But none the less hardisty in a joke and the 10 - on - 4 off is bs too if it rains your screwed you still have four days off because of huskys schedule! Have fun paying their wages bugs!
Lots of good benifits
Lead Hand Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
It was a great experience that I would done again,as for job security you never know when your job will be gone nature of the industry
Pros
good pay
Cons
lots of travel
revolving door
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2016
Hired and laid off within 2 months.
They hired to many people for the project.
Half the time they didnt have enough work for the amount of people they had. Project was in fort saskatchewan,under road builders agreement.
Pay was awful ,33$ an hour for finish excavator operator.
Schedule was not bad 2 weeks on 1 off.
Except they would give you random days off mostly weekends when its time and a half or double time.
I saw this job as an opportunity to join the union but i got laid off when i was 50 hours away from having the minimum amount of hours to join. And i wasnt the only one they did the same thing to.
Pros
close to home
Cons
poor job planning
Nice people, but not much room for advancement and no security
Office admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2015
Was laid off because of shortage of work. It was hard to advance there, departments were very close knit. My boss was excellent though and a pleasure to work for
I would not work for their superintendent
excavator operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB10 November 2015
not a very good superintendent he takes running a tight ship to a whole new level , expect to earn less money than somewhere else then you wont be disappointed
very stressful environment if you take things personally
Pros
large corporation
Cons
might get a poor supervisor
not good
equipment operator driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB9 November 2015
I have worked for Voice in 2009 as a labour, young foreman had his friends kids on equipment so they wouldn t get cold, even if they had no experience, and i with years of experience worked on shovel at -40.

In 2015 i have worked, at plains Midstream for a month!, first HR are in such rush to get you there that they forgot that they did hire you for day shift but you end up on night! and they got mad off because i didn t want to be on night shift! Union dispatch had to clarify that INDEED i was hired for day shift.
parking lot pick up 630 am bus is gone, if you get there a 630 with your car TOO BAD FOR YOU, but i witness the bus coming late multiple time ( i drove the van) but that was ok , they can be late but you CAN T!
the mentality on site is horrible!, Turn over is umbelievable, attitude is terrible Nazzy style, if excavator guy didn t load rock truck in 3 buckets at 30 sec per bucket..OUT, NEXT
we ve been told that we couldn t park rock truck to go to washroom but they wouldn t move the washroom where we could park the truck.
One dozer operator (old blonde woman) called me a "names" on radio! but no one did anything about it! She did so because i asked her to do a better job for us to be able to go around without getting stuck.
New site , new foreman and alot of turn over, so i guess they (people) in charge lol have to show off ... too bad they are doing in it for the wrong reasons , i use to like my job but i wont let any one insulting me just because they don t want to do their job and they are buddy buddy with management.
Pay rate sucked because we were under
  more... road builders, but voice does pay on time.  less
Pros
pay on time
Cons
lunch deducted
I have learnd to work in a productive and safe enviornment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Suncor Site14 October 2015
An enjoyable part of the job is working with a team that is fun and productive .Learning new task on a daily basis was challenging end enjoyable as I love learning new things .
Pros
Free Pizza
Cons
Long travel time
alright to work for
Utililty operator (Former Employee) –  alberta13 October 2015
Really clichy place to work for. everyone is friends and most dont have a clue what they are doing. would never work for them again
Very knowledgeable crew and foremans.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2015
Never had a problem working with any of the foremans. The supervisors and superintendants were really good to work with. The heavy equipment operators were also great to work with and were always making sure the areas were safe to work around them.
Pros
great hours and managable time off work
Cons
cant really say much
Past Labourer
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2015
Good company, had no complaints. I would return to this company in the future. Good oportunities for advancement if you work hard.
Very clicky
Equipment Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2015
The job was great learning experience,
However i found that this department and most departments within Voice was very "clicky" like high school... The management has there "favourite" and favour them the most which I find to be very pathetic in many different aspects.
Voice Construction
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab28 May 2015
I worked at voice for five years was a great company to work for i enjoyed it. I just decided to branch out and try new things, and go to school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Voice Construction OPCO ULC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7