Voice Construction OPCO ULC

Voice Construction OPCO ULC Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Tough work to do in a busy plant but you get lots of support
Operator (Current Employee), Surmont IIOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and lots of support from all levels of supervision
Cons: too busy with way to much stuff going on around us, kinda keeps you on edge all the time, but thats a plant for ya.
I disagree with some of the comments already made and agree with others about this worksite. The people that get in trouble with managment almost always deserved what they got and stayed longer than they should have. As for supervisors yelling, cmon, in this day and age is that really ever going to happen on a modern work site. These are all comments – more... made by disgruntaled people who don't know how to work and clearly should not have been there in the first place.There are close to 5000 people working on that site so its very busy and is often hard to even get around to do your work and it's sometimes slow as to keep us safe. Ive heard of several cases where superintendents have paid for meals and tickets out of their own pocket to get people home for family emergencies so how can you beat that kind of support. I guess we all get out what we put in, Great place to work with free flights and a good camp, Nuff said. – less
voice construction
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2014
Pros: free bottled water
Cons: 1 drive to get to work every morning
tailgate meeting at the trailer
dropped off to our equipment
perform our pre trip inspection and fill out log book
fill out flra and perform radio check
perform task safe and effectively
rock trucks are dumping to me at the dump i obtain frequent communication with them at all times
cab to cab or free dumping depending on the flow of traffic
3 metre – more... birms if free dumping or 3 m apart from dozer if cab to cab
i honk the horn once to let operators know where they need to dump
end of the day preform post trip 4 point contact as im dismounting
i enjoy my job it keeps me busy im always reliable im good at what i do.
if you enjoy what you do work shouldnt have a hard part.
i enjoy everything i do and the people i work with but just sunday october 5 got a call saying the job has come to an end. – less
Worst Place to Work Ever
Labourer (Current Employee), Surmont IISeptember 23, 2014
Pros: nice view in camp
Cons: pay, camp, management, hr in edm, other workers, direction, drugs
Currently work for Voice at Surmont II Conoco Phillips
Wow, worst job I have every had in my life.
Everyone is treated like garbage by foreman and management, horrible direction, horrible pay, hr lies to you to get you in, then you are stuck 5 hrs north of edmonton with no way home so you stick out your shift.
There is a 78% turnover rate here! One – more... foreman on my first day of work told me hes seen 500 people come and go in the last 8 months, that was 3 weeks ago he said that, he quit 2 days ago on the spot.
There is no opportunity for advancement unless you really suck up to management, this is a bad place to be.
Stories of workers doing drugs off hood of vans and selling drugs in camp, camp is bad, 2 hrs for rain days, no travel pay, labourers are non union, everyone is unhappy here and always say they probably wont be back for the next shift.
Superintendent tries to scare people into liking him, this is by far the worst place I have worked in Alberta, let alone anywhere!
Also 10 hour days so you miss out on 14 hrs ot a week, I made the same at my last job at 28/hr than the 40/hr workers do!
Please, stay away, save your time. – less
Productive workplace.
Gradesmen, Pipe layer/Labourer (Current Employee), Redwater, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: the hours
Great employees. Work hours are much too long. The work was very challenging.
Edmonton Shop not a place for learning the trade
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great variety of equipment to learn on; great wages
Cons: extremely poor leadership on shop floor.
Service manager most of time won't give you the time of day and other techs. often step in instead. Social groups within maintenance dept do nothing to promote inclusion among new staff.
Abusive, Poorly organized and managed
Foreman/N.C.S.O. (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB Fort HillsAugust 3, 2014
Pros: union pay and benefits
Cons: abusive, poorly managed, political and very clicky.
Great atmosphere at the main office. Then once in the field…brutal!!! I was a foreman for this company. Very difficult to motivate employees to work when the micro managing superintendent abuses everyone and everything. Its like working in 1920. No meetings, no direction. Voice was hated by suncor and other trades. This company was trying to do a union – more... bust so I won't even begin to describe the employee abuses that were going on. Multi million dollar site and we constantly had to beg and borrow from other trades. Worst company I have ever worked for. Then if that's not bad enough about 15hrs before you are eligible to join the union they lay you off. The turnover in this company is completely unreal. – less

October 27, 2014

Hello, We would like to apologize for the experience you had while working for Voice. We truly believe our success is driven by our employees and we want to ensure they are satisfied in their roles. We encourage all employees to be proactive in notifying their Supervisors and/or HR when situations arise so that we can resolve them. I can assure you that when issues are identified they are dealt with; the work environment on the project site you indicated in this review you were working at has changed since your departure. If you would like to further discuss your experience while working for Voice please contact our HR Department via 780-469-2895, and indicate you have a concern regarding your past employment with Voice.

Long days, hard work,good people, good pay
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 16, 2014
Pros: good work environment
Cons: only buddies of supervision get promotions reguardless of experience
I have worked for Voice off and on over the last few years as an equipment operator. They have usually treated me well and often hired me back when work was available. The only issues I have really seen is that if you are a non-white or a woman, your chances of being trained on different pieces of equipment or moving up into management are slim to none. – more... This company is still very archaic in their thinking and methods.
Great company to work for, just don’t expect to move up unless you’re part of the old boys club. – less

October 27, 2014

Hello, Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience working for Voice. We are an equal opportunity employer and try to provide opportunities to all employees based on performance and ability. We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility. We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals. It is unfortunate that this is not what you saw. I encourage you to reach out to our HR department via 780-469-2895 so we can further discuss your experience while working for Voice. Please indicate that you have a concern regarding your past employment with us.

November 21, 2014

Thank you Voice Construction for responding to my review. I have chosen this particular forum as I would like to be able to work for this company again in the future. Your statement of "We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility" may be visible in the office but is not visible in the field. I personally do not have the the statistics regarding the the ratio of white males vs non-white males/women in field management postions but you do. Therefore, you do not need my input on the matter as all you need do is look into your own files. It is also my experirience that the statement of "We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals" is also flawed as in my experience most individuals promoted in the field seem to have close ties with the individual promoting them. Perhaps,I have not seen a wide enough example of the way Voice operates or I may not have a clear understanding of the promotion process. I hope this helps to clarify my prevoius statements and experiences.

Voice Construction
First Year Apprentice HD Mechanic (Former Employee), Edmonton albertaJuly 9, 2014
Pros: long hours and having fun
Cons: wasnt that safe work place.
I would start off doing oil changes in the lube bay and help other mechanics in the shop as well. i would wash equipment before servicing was to be done on them. would clean out cabs of equipment when needed to. organizer the equipment outside.
woud help the welder and do a bit of welding. remove engines trannys anything to do with getting dirty i was – more... in there. – less
Amazing company
General Laborer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 1, 2014
Pros: fast paced, constant change, chance to travel
Cons: really hot during the summer and not being able to wear shorts and t-shirts
I loved working for them. it was fast paced and there was always fun even though we had to make sure we were still doing our job.
the blind leadng the blind
Finishing Hoe / Utility Operator (Former Employee), surmont IIJune 4, 2014
false promises , inept management , ridiculous turn over rate ,
Learned lots worked hard then got screwed!
Laborer (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 22, 2014
Spent a year and a half without being written up or disciplined, had an excellent working relationship with many of the employees. Really enjoyed working for the company for 98% of the time. Then Whammo!!! we are letting you go! Very Shocking and confusing.
Grades man and skill labourer
man and skill labourer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 13, 2014
- Tank Pad final grade experience, level earth to fine grade specifications and check slopes for conformance to requirements using levels or lasers. Grade and level trench bases by Topcon lasers use of tamping machines and hand tools, Cover pipes with sand or other materials such clay. Work on building new sites, roads, pipe lines in order to support – more... and assist skilled people, load and unload building materials and move materials towards working areas. Level earth by means of rakes and shovels, remove debris and trash at construction sites by means of wheelbarrows and other equipment and manage traffic at or near construction sites. – less
Good Company
Laborer (Former Employee), Edmonton CanadaMarch 25, 2014
Well established company that has created a good culture and work environment.
No Job Security
General Labor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: no job security
i worked here for 2 days and got let go for no reason i was a very hard worker and liked what i was doing but one supervisor told me i needed more experience with this field.
Voice Construction
Uncertified labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 27, 2014
10 hour days.
Learned how to run a packer 1000.
management wasnt too bad.
Everyone was good to work with.
Hardest part of the job was the weather.
The best part of the job was working with everyone because they always had a smile on.
enjoyed it
General labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2014
double times on Sunday. was steady for work.
lots of things to lean.. lots of equipment. lots of advancements and people where really good to get along with
job security
labour (Former Employee), edmontonDecember 13, 2013
don't work for this company they going to dismiss you for no reason no job security
Rewarding experience
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2013
My day's were busy and challenging, i enjoyed the people i worked with.
excellent place to work
fuel/lube operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2013
Pros: camp provided
Good pay,good bosses,good schedule,nice camp accomadations
Fun Time, But Seasonal Work
Industrial Construction Laborer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 27, 2013
Best mid-management of any company I've worked for. Everyone communicated and worked together to ensure a safe, productive work environment.

About Voice Construction OPCO ULC

Voice Construction is a privately owned civil construction firm specializing in heavy industrial site preparation and related – Read more

Voice Construction OPCO ULC Photos