Voice Construction OPCO ULC

Voice Construction OPCO ULC Employee Reviews in Canada

revolving door
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Hired and laid off within 2 months.
They hired to many people for the project.
Half the time they didnt have enough work for the amount of people they had. Project was in fort saskatchewan,under road builders agreement.
Pay was awful ,33$ an hour for finish excavator operator.
Schedule was not bad 2 weeks on 1 off.
Except they would give you random days off mostly weekends when its time and a half or double time.
I saw this job as an opportunity to join the union but i got laid off when i was 50 hours away from having the minimum amount of hours to join. And i wasnt the only one they did the same thing to.
Pros
close to home
Cons
poor job planning
Abusive, Poorly organized and managed
Foreman/N.C.S.O. (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB Fort HillsAugust 3, 2014
Great atmosphere at the main office. Then once in the field…brutal!!! I was a foreman for this company. Very difficult to motivate employees to work when the micro managing superintendent abuses everyone and everything. Its like working in 1920. No meetings, no direction. Voice was hated by suncor and other trades. This company was trying to do a union bust so I won't even begin to describe the employee abuses that were going on. Multi million dollar site and we constantly had to beg and borrow from other trades. Worst company I have ever worked for. Then if that's not bad enough about 15hrs before you are eligible to join the union they lay you off. The turnover in this company is completely unreal.
Pros
union pay and benefits
Cons
abusive, poorly managed, political and very clicky.

Comment – October 27, 2014

Hello, We would like to apologize for the experience you had while working for Voice. We truly believe our success is driven by our employees and we want to ensure they are satisfied in their roles. We encourage all employees to be proactive in notifying their Supervisors and/or HR when situations arise so that we can resolve them. I can assure you that when issues are identified they are dealt with; the work environment on the project site you indicated in this review you were working at has changed since your departure. If you would like to further discuss your experience while working for Voice please contact our HR Department via 780-469-2895, and indicate you have a concern regarding your past employment with Voice.

I would not work for their superintendent
excavator operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABNovember 10, 2015
not a very good superintendent he takes running a tight ship to a whole new level , expect to earn less money than somewhere else then you wont be disappointed
very stressful environment if you take things personally
Pros
large corporation
Cons
might get a poor supervisor
Past Labourer
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 30, 2015
Good company, had no complaints. I would return to this company in the future. Good oportunities for advancement if you work hard.
not good
equipment operator driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABNovember 9, 2015
I have worked for Voice in 2009 as a labour, young foreman had his friends kids on equipment so they wouldn t get cold, even if they had no experience, and i with years of experience worked on shovel at -40.

In 2015 i have worked, at plains Midstream for a month!, first HR are in such rush to get you there that they forgot that they did hire you for day shift but you end up on night! and they got mad off because i didn t want to be on night shift! Union dispatch had to clarify that INDEED i was hired for day shift.
parking lot pick up 630 am bus is gone, if you get there a 630 with your car TOO BAD FOR YOU, but i witness the bus coming late multiple time ( i drove the van) but that was ok , they can be late but you CAN T!
the mentality on site is horrible!, Turn over is umbelievable, attitude is terrible Nazzy style, if excavator guy didn t load rock truck in 3 buckets at 30 sec per bucket..OUT, NEXT
we ve been told that we couldn t park rock truck to go to washroom but they wouldn t move the washroom where we could park the truck.
One dozer operator (old blonde woman) called me a "names" on radio! but no one did anything about it! She did so because i asked her to do a better job for us to be able to go around without getting stuck.
New site , new foreman and alot of turn over, so i guess they (people) in charge lol have to show off ... too bad they are doing in it for the wrong reasons , i use to like my job but i wont let any one insulting me just because they don t want to do their job and they are buddy buddy with management.
Pay rate sucked because we were under
  more... road builders, but voice does pay on time.  less
Pros
pay on time
Cons
lunch deducted
Nice people, but not much room for advancement and no security
Office admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2015
Was laid off because of shortage of work. It was hard to advance there, departments were very close knit. My boss was excellent though and a pleasure to work for
I have learnd to work in a productive and safe enviornment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Suncor SiteOctober 14, 2015
An enjoyable part of the job is working with a team that is fun and productive .Learning new task on a daily basis was challenging end enjoyable as I love learning new things .
Pros
Free Pizza
Cons
Long travel time
Very Safety Oriented company
Lead Hand/Ground worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2015
my typical day at work would begin with a safety meeting and then we would have our job scope for the day.
what I learned is that safety is number one on any job site to be a good brother's/sister/s keeper to work as a team and get the job done safely.
Management was great work scopes were organized treated workers with respect and again safety is number 1 it made for a productive incident free day.
the co worker were tight the upmost respect between workers made for a breeze of a working day again incident free in other words we work as a team.
the hardest part of the job is sometimes was waiting for permits JHA's and ground disturbance.
the job was very enjoyable the crew was like family the chemistry was very tight.
Pros
the food is great also camp was excelent
Cons
not enough hours
Very knowledgeable crew and foremans.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Never had a problem working with any of the foremans. The supervisors and superintendants were really good to work with. The heavy equipment operators were also great to work with and were always making sure the areas were safe to work around them.
Pros
great hours and managable time off work
Cons
cant really say much
alright to work for
Utililty operator (Former Employee) –  albertaOctober 13, 2015
Really clichy place to work for. everyone is friends and most dont have a clue what they are doing. would never work for them again
Very clicky
Equipment Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2015
The job was great learning experience,
However i found that this department and most departments within Voice was very "clicky" like high school... The management has there "favourite" and favour them the most which I find to be very pathetic in many different aspects.
Productive workplace.
Gradesmen, Pipe layer/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Redwater, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Great employees. Work hours are much too long. The work was very challenging.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
the hours
Good experience
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 27, 2015
Highly motivated and safety first mentality, management staff firm but fair. Many oppertunities for advancement on several sites.
Long days, hard work,good people, good pay
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 16, 2014
I have worked for Voice off and on over the last few years as an equipment operator. They have usually treated me well and often hired me back when work was available. The only issues I have really seen is that if you are a non-white or a woman, your chances of being trained on different pieces of equipment or moving up into management are slim to none. This company is still very archaic in their thinking and methods.
Great company to work for, just don’t expect to move up unless you’re part of the old boys club.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
only buddies of supervision get promotions reguardless of experience

Comment – October 27, 2014

Hello, Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience working for Voice. We are an equal opportunity employer and try to provide opportunities to all employees based on performance and ability. We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility. We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals. It is unfortunate that this is not what you saw. I encourage you to reach out to our HR department via 780-469-2895 so we can further discuss your experience while working for Voice. Please indicate that you have a concern regarding your past employment with us.

Comment – November 21, 2014

Thank you Voice Construction for responding to my review. I have chosen this particular forum as I would like to be able to work for this company again in the future. Your statement of "We have many examples of employees from diverse backgrounds being promoted to roles with increased responsibility" may be visible in the office but is not visible in the field. I personally do not have the the statistics regarding the the ratio of white males vs non-white males/women in field management postions but you do. Therefore, you do not need my input on the matter as all you need do is look into your own files. It is also my experirience that the statement of "We intentionally look for current employees with leadership potential before looking to hire new individuals" is also flawed as in my experience most individuals promoted in the field seem to have close ties with the individual promoting them. Perhaps,I have not seen a wide enough example of the way Voice operates or I may not have a clear understanding of the promotion process. I hope this helps to clarify my prevoius statements and experiences.

Productive and fun workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayMay 13, 2015
Work environment is good,young senior management and they cater well for the employees. I learned so much in 2 years working as project coordinator for Voice in Fort McMurray. Noting bad to say about the company at all.
Lucky if working
Heavy Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 21, 2014
Long hours. Hard to tell when you have time off. Good pay. Sometimes you get the opportunity to operate several pieces of equipment a day. I am not sure how Voice is doing for long term prospect.
Pros
pay
Cons
no work life balance
hard work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray albertaApril 12, 2015
it was long days hard work goood people for the most part we worked with ... we were alll friends... management was not the greatest but we all got treated fairly as long as we showed up and did our jobs .
Pros
camp
Cons
never home
Voice Construction
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  edmonton, abMay 28, 2015
I worked at voice for five years was a great company to work for i enjoyed it. I just decided to branch out and try new things, and go to school.
Always happy to get to work in the morning
Integration Planning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  McMurray, AlbertaMarch 5, 2015
The day kicks off with a safety meeting. Review any unfinished business from yesterday. Prepare for client meeting. Follow up with client meeting requirements and reports. Site inspections. Report on progress and quality assurance. Sun-contractor meeting / coordinating, review plans. Provide support as required.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
driving highway 63 not always the best
voice construction
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2014
tailgate meeting at the trailer
dropped off to our equipment
perform our pre trip inspection and fill out log book
fill out flra and perform radio check
perform task safe and effectively
rock trucks are dumping to me at the dump i obtain frequent communication with them at all times
cab to cab or free dumping depending on the flow of traffic
3 metre birms if free dumping or 3 m apart from dozer if cab to cab
i honk the horn once to let operators know where they need to dump
end of the day preform post trip 4 point contact as im dismounting
i enjoy my job it keeps me busy im always reliable im good at what i do.
if you enjoy what you do work shouldnt have a hard part.
i enjoy everything i do and the people i work with but just sunday october 5 got a call saying the job has come to an end.
Pros
free bottled water
Cons
1 drive to get to work every morning