VMware Employee Reviews in Canada

VMware is the place to be!
Senior Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 5, 2016
I've been there for 10+ years from when the company was at just 560 employees to 19,000+ strong.

VMware focuses on work/life balance. They give you the tools needed to be successful and help keep the business moving forward.

The hardest part of the job is leaving at the end of the day. There are so many perks (and sometimes too much snacks) and with everyone having the go go go/shoot for the stars attitude it is easy to do business.
Pros
Everything, from the desks, to people, volunteering, food.
Cons
Sometimes moving to fast to the next platform without stabilizing the infrastructure can cause gaps
Nice place to work
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 22, 2016
A lot of work during the working day, have a good working environment where everyone helps the other when have critical situation. Offerring courses to keep following the technology and the new of the new products
Challenging, fun, and rewarding work, sometimes at the expense of life
Data Integrity Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 1, 2016
Fast paced work, with goals accomplished! Good support of family commitments, though there were often long days of work as well. Some great managers, some awful. Lots of community involvement projects!
Pros
Projects got finished, not cancelled!
Cons
Some long days
Disqualified recenttly hired/promoted managers senior managers not knowing their rol at all in support ogranization at all
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Low qualified recently (starting 2013/2014) hired/promoted managers/senior managers, not knowing their roleresponsibilities at all in support organization. Very dissatisfying.
It's very bad that technical people have to teach/describe their technical managers (many not all) what are the basics of IT. A technical manager in IT should at least know what is Network, what is storage what is OS what is database the least, just the names at least! This is all senior exec/VPs and director faults not to manage hiring process accurately and the CEO could be the most responsible person.
Great company to work for
Senior Network Virtualization Engineer - NSX (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 8, 2016
- Great team;
- Good management;
- Almost unlimited resources for professional growth;
- Sometimes issues with workload and work/life balance
It;s a Great experience now I wanna try something else
Enterprise Virtualization Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 6, 2016
It;s 9 to 5 kind of job and most of the time you have to spend solving various kind of visualization and Environmental issues. It's mostly through the Webex.
Support Specialist
Escalation lead (Former Employee) –  Perth, ONNovember 3, 2015
It was a great position and working with nursing staff was excellent. I completed some very big projects including, replacing over 75 thin clients, 250 pc's, ergotron nursing stations, 100 Lexmark printers, over 40 physical and virtual servers and upgrading 12 data closets with HP Procurve switches. I installed a Aruba wireless solution with over 20 AP's in a two site facility. I was primary lead in the Smiths Falls Redevelopment, working with vendors and ensuring continuity and scheduling of services. I managed all devices and it was a very demanding position and still have a great many friendships since I left to pursue the position at MicroAge.
Pros
8-4
Cons
On Call - one time 7 months straight
dynamic, open to constant improvement, change, evolution
Product Release Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 23, 2015
people at VMware are completely committed to the company, customers and their purpose. The energy rubs off on you. Great place to work.
Pros
ability to be innovative
Cons
salary
No longer feels like an Indie Startup Company
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 2, 2015
What used to be a friendly work environment has now become another number crunching corporate call center.

Turnover is getting shorter and shorter with most senior engineers leaving the company.

Management flips over every 6 months where it is impossible for the staff to establish any sort of relationship or plan with their manager.

The worst kind of people succeed and climb the corporate ladder where honest worker will remain below or get punished
Fun, Friendly environment to work in, great corporate culture and employees
SOFTWARE LICENSING ACCOUNTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Typical day will be going to your own office cubicle, checking voice-mails, logging into workstation and work with new client support tickets, follow-up on existing support tickets by email or by phone with news of issue resolution or work still in progress.

I learned to manage time effectively, working as a team together, chairing (hosting) team meetings, learned about the company's many software products, learned how to work the internal web portal systems and internal corporate operations, such as how product sales and distribution work and also up-selling support contracts.

I had 3 different managements during the course of my employment and all were excellent to me and treated me well, as well as helped me a lot during my tenure.

All my former co-workers were excellent, energetic, and outgoing people I've ever known. We always liked to help each other many times. I have formed lasting friendships with many of them and I still keep in touch with them today.

Hardest part was when complete system migrations happen and our entire processes, or method of doing work change such as corporate business changes and system changes. Old system, and interfaces phased out and change over to new. Usually, it takes a month to get used to the new changes.

Most enjoyable part of the job for me is always looking forward to the customer's satisfaction everyday when their issue was resolved by me. Also their corporate culture was a great experience, such as charitable events, the catered food, free video games and arcade games to play on down times. They offer flexible work hours, such
  more... as mornings, afternoon and night shifts. (24/7)  less
Pros
free snacks and drinks, flexible 24/7 shifts to choose.
Cons
unpredictable departments restructuring can happen.
A Great Company to work for.
Interactive Multimedia Presentation Designer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJanuary 7, 2015
I was sad to be laid off from VMware, and not just for the lack of job reason. I loved working for them.

I have never had managers so involved in a positive way, wanting to know what they could do to help make my life easier and finding the right strings to get the technical people to respond to me.

My team in the Burlington office was very close, going out for lunches and eating together, and helping each other out even if it wasn't necessarily our job to do so.

The hardest part was really just scheduling meetings, when you had team members in California, Colorado, Burlington, Ireland, and India it was really hard to find a time slot that worked for everyone.

I really enjoyed having flexible hours, and the ability to work from home. When winter hit really bad I didn't have to worry about traffic. There was also weekly catered meals, and bagel/pastry day where breakfast was brought in. And free coffee, soda, juice, an espresso machine with all the syrups, snacks and fruit and vegetables. I have them to partially blame for my waistline.
Pros
flexible working hours, work from home, catered meals, snacks, free drinks/coffee, foosball, pinball, arcades
VMware Inc
System Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 29, 2014
Very fast paced place
I have learned here all I know about VMware products.
Very professional management.
Nice team with many professionals.
Good benefits and nice work environment
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  BurnlingtonJuly 27, 2014
Great company to start in,
Great benefits and great management staff
Pros
good place to start your career. chance to grow and learn about cutting edge technologies.
Cons
low salaries compared to the work load
Great work environment, good place to start an IT career
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 6, 2014
Overall VMware is an excellent employer, with great work environment. For the most part it's well managed. It's an interesting place to learn about virtualization and how a datacenter is managed. Maybe not so much for someone with a lot of hands-on experience or who wants to work directly with provisioning IT services to end users.
Pros
excellent work environment.
Cons
on a busy day it can feel a bit like a sweatshop, limited opportunities for gaining skills outside support.
Great working environment with very supportive management
Technical Support Engineer (Storage/Fault) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 29, 2014
Productive and relaxed work ethics.
Great team.
Free breakfast
rotating shifts
phone call queue for support calls
Great culture, benefits and decent salary
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 24, 2014
Overall great company in terms of compensation and benefits as well as culture and people. Slow advancement within the centre and work load increased year after year
Pros
catered lunches, company events, great benefits
Cons
career opportunities are limited at local sites
Amazing people and lively environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 5, 2013
Day starts with checking mails to replying to people at different locations.
I sit with technical engineers to gather data and their feedback oon the prototype I am working on.
Meetings and day is over with continuous communication with my manager.
Pros
feast, snack area.
Cons
distance
Great company to work for.
Technical Support/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 17, 2013
I loved working for this company. Had a very positive environment overall. Managers were great, and the company had a very dynamic environment, which greatly effected employee behavior into adapting new changes at a higher rate. Co-workers were very helpful.
Pros
free lunches, benefits, flexibility.
Cons
sometimes a lot of sitting.
Great Place to Work
Change Readiness & Training Lead (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 16, 2013
VMware is awesome! Its a great culture to be a part of!

Great Place to Work!
Pros
free drinks and food!
Cons
lots of travel!
VMware
Consumer Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 1, 2013
VMware was a great place to work and I envisioned working there for many years to come. Unfortunately after some company changes a lot of jobs were sold off. Job security with this company is at an all time low with more centers being built overseas.
Pros
weekly free lunches. free snacks and drinks
Cons
likely to be laid off within the next 2 years.