VMC Consulting

VMC Consulting Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
micro-manage and poor higher level management
manager (Current Employee), fargo, ndNovember 13, 2014
Horrible hours, the upper managers micro manage team managers. even if you have time off, you can't use it when YOU want or need it. Typical day is having the GM tell the team managers to constantly be watching your every move, very difficult to do your job when they have the team managers asking you the same questions time after time. Told we would – more... get a raise in January and it is November and still no raise, no 1:1 coaching, only talking and writing you up at the same time, without letting you know you did anything wrong. Terrible morale and high turnover. – less
IT Consultant/Lab Engineer (Current Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 15, 2014
great professional people, I've established a great relationship with a specfic recruiter which has absolutely advanced my career"
Good starter but no room for growth
Senior Test Lead (Current Employee), Redmond, WASeptember 16, 2014
For those that don't have testing experience, this is a good stepping stool to get your foot in the gaming industry door. Unfortunately, the pay rate and room for growth leave little to be desired. Lots of diversity here but get the experience you need and move on to something better as there is no growth potential in the games department here.
Too much micromanagement
Technical Team Manager (Former Employee), Fargo, NDAugust 13, 2014
Pros: decent pay, good foot in the door
Cons: poor management
VMC is too heavy on micromanagement. The leadership seems disconnected with the workers. Furthermore, work/life balance is strongly discouraged and employees are punished for taking vacation time without working.

Only pro is that it can be a good foot in the door with major clients or other consulting companies
Solid company to work for in the IT outsourcing industry
Sr. Manager, Business Development (Current Employee), Redmond, WAJuly 7, 2014
VMC has been a great place to work in my role as a BDM. I have had a lot of internal and executive support throughout my tenure which has given me exposure to other areas of the company that have been a valuabe learning tool.
Very Manual but busy company, Work environment could be trying sometimes
Sr. Project Setup Administrator (Former Employee), Redmond, WAJune 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: some of the management, health care
A typical consisted of interaction with Sales, Delivery, Accounting, and other stake holders. from the start to the end of the day...
I learned, that team work and treating your job as if your a company owner, is motivation to always do your best for your employer...
As for my co-workers, I was glad to say that I worked with very talented hard working – more... people, most of which were very willing to share their knowledge...
The hardest part of my job, was not being able to provide stake holders with the answers and resolutions that they needed...
The most enjoyable part of the has been the interactions with all of the stakeholders and our customers, establishing and finding resolutions... Providing a high level of customer service... – less
Great opportunity with an expanding company
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaFebruary 12, 2014
I was fortunate enough to work on a contract that taught me many valuable skills in my time at VMC Consulting.
great place to work and advance
Advisor (Former Employee), Las Cruces, NMFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: stability, advancement, management care
Cons: repetitive work everyday
loved working for this company. has great opportunities to advance and will work with any school schedule to keep you full time if needed like I did.
Solid Work Environment
Xbox 360 Compliance Certification Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WADecember 27, 2013
VMC was a great place to work while gaining the necessary experience to grow within the tech industry. The people that I worked with were always behind me to succeed and grow.
Proposal Manager
Product Development, Outsourcing and Consulting (Former Employee), Redmond, WAAugust 22, 2013
Pros: commute was easy.
Cons: not enough staffing resources to balance work load.
VMC Consulting is a very fast-paced and bottom-line driven company. The hardest part of the job was not having enough resources to keep up with the volume of work.
VMC Consulting
Cross Commodity Buyer (Current Employee), Redmond, WAAugust 13, 2013
Pros: variety of tasks
Cons: low pay based on standards, no opportunities for advancment, unsure future.
VMC is a division of VOLT.

As a buyer for VMC I have had the opportunity to handle a large range of Materials. From Office Supplies, IT to Travel and pretty much everything a consulting company need in between. I start the day managing Purchase Requests, researching the product if needed, making sure that all standards are met, and making sure my customers – more... needs are cared for, submitting RFQ, as well as Vendor Management. I do purchasing on approved orders. The company has offices in several locations in the USA and Internationally, so I deal with making sure the products are ordered and shipped in the best, cost efficient way possible. If there are slower times, I work on making sure process and procedures are up to date, that all ordered items are being tracked and dealing with immediate needs and questions from my internal customers I love being a buyer, and the challenges it brings. I'm not I have the hardest part of my job, unless it is office politics, and drama, but that is part of many companies.

I work remotely but know or have met pretty much every person in my company. I highly value those that have the same attitudes and values I have and that is giving your all to make your company a success. I personally feel that the company is made up of many people and all from the Janitor to the Top Executives play a valuable part of the company and need to be treated with the accorded dignity and respect.

It is hard to explain the culture and other values of my company as the hierarchy has changed over the last few months and the executive leadership team has changed. The potential is there to become a better company in the future, but there are so many unknowns that employees feel as if they are standing on shaky ground, despite the quality of their work.

At this point, I personally do not see the opportunity for career advancement in my department, or otherwise. I have a lot to offer, and work to be part of the team.They are trending toward hiring from outside rather than promoting experienced long-time employees. – less
Selling Applecare
Call Director/Eligibility Advisor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasJune 13, 2013
Accurately process customer transactions
Provide accurate information regarding availability of in-stock items
Obtain accurate information from vendors relating to shipment dates and expected date of delivery
Educate customers about terminology, features and benefits of products in order to improve product related sales and customer satisfaction
Questionable Ethics and Not Customer Focused
Microsoft Exchange Support Engineer (Former Employee), Fargo, NDApril 11, 2013
Pros: good technical knowledge gain, middle managers try very hard to do the right thing
Cons: bad upper management, bad benefits, bad ethics
I should start by saying that, personally, I was treated pretty well while I worked there, but things started going downhill at the end.

I was a Support Engineer on the Exchange Admin team in Fargo, ND. Our daily routine was to handle support cases assigned to us and to answer calls received in an incoming phone queue. The priority is to take on as – more... many new cases as possible, before the SLA limit expires, while letting your existing cases suffer.

Daily we could expect to be treated like children - we were berated as a group, and we could expect to be told how bad we were at our jobs on a daily basis.

The management would actively work to exclude Microsoft (VMC's client) from the operations as much as possible. They would often tell employees that the client was wrong and that we should not tell the Microsoft-employed tech leads what was going on. VMC management would often give us instructions that would conflict with Microsoft's.

When you start working you will actually be employed by Volt Workforce Solutions. You receive few benefits as a Volt employee (you have to work an extreme number of days without absence, in order to qualify for holiday pay). The health insurance is terrible and is not accepted at some of the local hospitals. You do not accrue vacation or sick time.

They tell you they will roll you over to be a VMC employee after a year of employment. When you get close to a year, that's when they start writing people up for small things. Most of us believe it is so they don't have to roll you over and give you benefits. It is cheaper to hire a new employee and train them.

One employee that consistently had good customer surveys and was a very knowledgeable engineer worked a small amount of overtime on a Critical Situation call, late at night. He sent an email to the manager, but she did not read it. When the engineer came in the next day, they wrote him up and gave him his "Final Written Warning." He had never received a verbal or written warning in the past.

Another engineer was married and had children. He also went to school. He took the job with the understanding the hours were 8AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday (we were all told this). The hours changed and he explained he needed to stay 8 to 5. They scheduled him outside those hours very often, when other engineers could take those shifts. When he asked about it, the manager told him "If I am signing this internship form for you, then you need to work these hours for me." The engineer quit/was terminated shortly thereafter.

This is the only company I have ever worked for where I have felt the management actively held me back and kept me from doing the best job I could.

If you want to gain good experience supporting Microsoft Exchange, it's a good job. But I would not recommend it to anyone that is looking to stay in a position for more than 6 months. – less
Consistent sitting and waiting
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: flexibility with hours and lunches
Cons: not always having work to do.
A typical day at work consisted of waiting for daily reports for drug test results to be inputted. I learned some of how a pharmaceutical company works. Management was not very consistent with helping. My co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was the constant waiting for work to come in. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning – more... the business in general because it challenged my mind. – less
A role that utilised and helped refine my interpersonal skills and linguistic skills in a very friendly and often relaxed work environment.
Spanish/French Localisation tester (Former Employee), SloughSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: friendly working environment, use of language skills, chance to micromanage co-workers.
Cons: ad hoc contract, software could fail meaning no work would be available on certain days
The job utlised my interpersonal skills as well as my linguistic skills on a day to day basis. It involved translating,proof reading and software testing to identify any software or language issues present. A full report on each individual bug would have to be written and good communication skills were paramount for the job role. Many times a series – more... of software tests would have to be performed under strict time frames which required a high level of prioritisation and good time management skills.

Co-workers were of all ages and cultural/ethnic backgrounds. Having such a diverse group of people working efficiently towards a common objective showed the competence of the management which included Microsoft employees. Due to the friendly and positive atmosphere at the work place, it was very easy to build good relationships between individuals.

Some negative points of the job entailed repetition, which at times was not very intellectually stimulating. Reproduction of certain bugs was necessary to identify the underlying issue and this at times could prove to be tedious and time consuming. The fact that the contract was Ad-Hoc also meant that hours were not guaranteed, and were souly dependent on the software available to test.

The most positive aspects of the job as previously mentioned involved the interaction between co-workers and the atmosphere in the work place, which I believe is a very important factor in any job. The chance to help micro manage new recruits and groups of individuals was also something I enjoyed. – less
Fun, Friendly, Challenging
Technical Support Adviser (Former Employee), Las Cruces, NMApril 25, 2012
Pros: fast paced, advancement within company
Cons: healthcare
I absolutely loved working with VMC Consulting. I enjoied the day to day challenge of meeting every individuals needs and exceeding those set by the company. Working with my peers was like being around family all day long. Everyone is so helpful and compassionate not only to t he customer but to you as a colleague as well.
Great People, Good Experience, but Poor Retention
Microsoft BPOS-S & Office 365 Program Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMarch 27, 2012
Pros: fast career progression, good experience, friendly and eager staff
Cons: low pay, below average benefits, high stress
VMC is a fast moving corporation with good relationships with well know organizations. The environment is ever changing, and very demanding due to the competitive nature of it's clients. As a result, VMC provides a great foundation for experience on many levels including technical expertise, and management. On the down side each day is a fluster of – more... reactive mitigation, and high demand of the individual employee. This creates a high stress environment with little compensation. The people you work with, on all levels, are a pleasure, but those relationships are short lived due to the high turn over rate. – less