Vitran Express Employee Reviews

Productive but took time out for fun in slow periods .
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2017
Overseeing operations on a daily basis . Ensuring targets are monitored and achieved . Prioritizing orders for customers in a timely manner . Troubleshooting.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Productive and fun work atmosphere
BILLING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Oak Bluff, MB17 August 2017
The managers were awesome! I enjoyed my experience and time at Vitran. I learned a lot from my fellow co-workers and bosses, including: learning a new software program, and learning how to create invoices. Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, Casual day, Cake on birthdays
Be aware
Routing clerk (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC24 November 2016
A seemingly good company on the outside, but absolutely archaic on the inside.
Dispatch screen is an aluminum tower that turns around.
The leash is very short. Any issues within 3 weeks means your demise.
Also, this job is for you if you enjoy being watched at all time via security camera.
Pros
Nice operation manager, Keurig machine
Cons
Archaic system, short leash, ancient drivers
Wonderful place to work
member of the OS&D team (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
I loved working here !! Was the best ever except it wasn't busy enough as that is why i got laid off. People who work there are amazing people as well.
Good place to work for ( supervisors need people skills )
fork lift operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
first let me say that I love working at Vitran express . The company to employee regulations are fair .I do agree with the policy of seniority. after all when you work for a company for 30 years you should have priority over someone that just stated .

even though the older guys get priority for overtime I get overtime every week . and I have only been there for 3 months .

the company provides employees with very good benefits , sceduled salary raises and union work conditions .

I do however have a problem with the supervisors , all but one need to really get some people skills and follow the union rules . yelling and being rude to employees has to stop immediately and upper management should get involved . stop being vindictive and threaten employees with making them hand bomb all day long if you do not agree with what they have to say .

Coworkers ....

for the most part they are great , but as in any company there is always a few bad apples . fortunately management knows about them and they pose no threats .

overall this is a great place to work for and if your looking for a job this is a great place

Pros
decent pay, good coworkers, great patient upper management
Cons
supervisors
Summary Review
Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2016
Work long hours, pay poor, management bias and unfair.

Responsible for others shortcomings.

High expectations from management and little support.
Conduire le camion
5 tonnes pour camion porteur (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC27 June 2016
En générale, je conduisais des camions, déchargeais. Ils ont une ambiance plutôt ordinaire ou j'entendais plus camionneur chiâler souvent. Les gestionnaires sont agréable souvent ils payait la Pizza pour le dîner. Faire la livraison, dans des endroits où le camion 5 tonnes passe juste dans les bois je n'ai pas aimer peut-ètre une 3 tonne oui mais pas un 5 tonnes car ça peut l'endommager.
Le plus beau moment quand on me donne une livraison quand je dois attendre qu'on me décharge car c'est la politique de la compagnie comme genre Loblaws et Métro.
Pros
Pizza gratuit
Cons
Emploi temporaire
fun place to work
general labour (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 June 2016
started early when i was asked
was always on time
enjoyed working with other people
completed the customers orders as requested
Run far away from this place as possible and don't look back
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON3 June 2016
This is a horrible place to work. Don't waste your time working here if you have a job already don't quit it to come work here. They hire people but don't keep them they let them go just before its time for their probation to be completed. The pay rate is a joke and it will take you 7 years to get to top rate while the senior men get top rate and $500 dollars a month in rsp's. If you get hired on you will never get that rsp money it's only for senior dockmen. Management is two faced and so are the employees that you'll work with they constantly backstab each other. The union is a joke they can't do anything for you management runs rough shot over everything that goes on there. I ended up quitting vitran and it was the best decision I ever made I feel alot better and my health is much better overall.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Don't have enough time to list all the cons.
Ok place to work
Linehaul Dispatch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2016
This is an ok place to work, almost impossible to get fired with mediocre benefits and decent pay however, there is a lot of overtime in dispatch and they do not pay for or bank overtime hours.
Pros
Great job security, emplyee appriciation lunches, cancer fundraising
Cons
No Christmas parties
Vitran - Billing Clerk
Billing Clerk (Part-Time, Evening) (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 May 2016
Very stress free environment, great people, easy work, although the training process should be reviewed. The work hrs are very flexible.
The pay is reasonable. Manager is awesome. Extended hrs on Fridays is very tough if required to work that day.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Long hours on Fridays
The people at Vitran were really great to work with I enjoyed my time working there.
Outbound Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
I really enjoyed working with the staff at Vitran. They had positive attitudes and made the day good. The management was great as well.
It's like being in high school, and the teachers play favourites.
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 May 2016
Remember when you were in high school, with all the petty dramas, gossip and backstabbing? Vitran has successfully recreated that environment.

Are you the hardest worker? The most productive? It doesn't matter! Unless you're one of the 'cool kids' (complete with the 'smoker's corner'), you're disposable.

Want to do something about it? Too bad. Upper management is full of cliche catch phrases, but no real help -- just like your high school principal!

Remember, at Vitran, it's not what you know, or what you do - it's who you've managed to suck up to that ensures your job security.
we have barbeques
Driver (Current Employee) –  edmonton20 July 2015
Vitran is run like a circus

typical day at work Is I get my bills in the morning and haul out two loads sometimes three loads of delivery's and then a load of pick ups then I call it a day at arond 4:00- 6:00 pm and go home

what have I learned city p&d is the same for every company

management is a joke

co-workers well that's all they are is co-workers I try not to make that aspect of my work personal

the hardest part of the job is dealing with dispatch were at there mercy

the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing im there to make money and to me that's all that matters is that I work hard so I can pay my bills its the way of life
Pros
im outside
Cons
dealing with dispatch and the organized kaos
good place to work but had to move
Receptionist/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta11 July 2015
- answered phones and did typing of letters and data entry and pulling freight bills for inbound freight
- data entry learned making freight bills and trip manifests for outbound freight
- people were great
- the most enjoyable was dealing with the public and people at our other branches
An always changing company.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON27 May 2015
Management consistently changed at the top level during my employment causing many disturbances throughout the entire company.

Shift seniority left new people on midnights of afternoons.

Overtime was based on seniority.

Contracts were based on date of hire and actual employee benefits and wages differed solely based on date of hire not years of experience. I.e. anyone hired before X date would receive Y weeks holiday and anyone after that date would be capped at Y - 2 weeks. Those differences in benefits can never be attained by any new employee nor existing employee hired after X date.

Many interoffice politics.

Great pay and benefits fresh out of secondary school. But raises come slow over years to make the standard wage with no advancement beyond that. Not a career choice.

Fear for job security as union contracts come to close.
Pros
Was union during my time of employment.
Cons
Politics
it was ok
csr (Former Employee) –  west edmonton30 April 2015
I didn't work there for long the management was fickly and the amount of judgement that got passed threw those walls was out of control. I gave notice after 4 months working for them and I would not refer anyone to work for there company. the office manager Sandy is very rude!!
Cons
bad management
fun bosses
Shipment Unloader (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2015
fairly easy paced work, I little repetitive. a lot of joking around makes the day go by quicker. co-workers are great. the hardest part is unloading the air conditioner units
Work was fun but management arent very intelligent.
Transportation Clerk (Former Employee) –  concord21 February 2015
The work itself was okay. Management were some of the hardest people to ever deal with. Never take any inputs from employees into consideration.
workplacw review
Operations/Dispatch Clerk - Clagary AB (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2015
Vitran is a diverse workplace.
You need energy consistently to complete all tasks given to you. And be knowledgeable in the customer service area.
And be totally dedicated to your position and work as a team player.
Pros
excellent company to learn different aspects within
Cons
unpaid overtime hours, dusty, stressful at times.