VIPKID Employee Reviews

I love my job with VIPKID
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS25 October 2017
I teach for VIPKID from NS Canada.

Pros:
1. Salary $20 per hour
2. Bonuses for attendance, punctuality, converting trial students to regular students, holiday contests, etc.
3. Flexible schedule that you control
4. User friendly teaching platform
5. Immediate access online support
6. Great company culture- Although I’ve never laid eyes on the head office or other staff, I feel like I’m truly part of a team.
7. Happy students and parents
8. Convenient hours for me

Cons: I really do not have anything negative to say about VIPKID.
The pros far outweigh the cons (for me)
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Canada2 September 2017
Pros:
- High hourly wage
- Pick your own hours
- Virtually no prep involved
- Great students
- Meaningful work
- Low stress
- Work from home (no commuting!)
- Work from anywhere there's an internet connection (Going out of town to visit mom & dad for a few days? Work from their place if you like!)

Cons:
- Early morning work - depending on which time zone you're in, this can range from being so-so to really awful (I'm in EST, which means peak teaching times for me are 6-10 am)
- No benefits
- Very strict teacher attendance policy (you need to stay healthy)
- It may take some time to build a regular student base and become fully booked (the hours are not guaranteed)
Never judge a book by its cover...
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada9 January 2017
I worked for VIPKID for a little over 4 months. At first, I was very excited as the company seemed to provide a great experience for both teacher and students. The PowerPoint presentations we used seemed colourful and kid friendly (minus the millions of mistakes and content that did not make any sense). I got to meet some really great students in this time, and I had many regular students booking me every week. You will get a lot of "bad" students too, so be prepared to get frustrated.

I hated when I had to wait 15-25 minutes in the classroom for a student to show up, yet if I didn't show up for a legitimate reason, I was penalized. During November and December, I reduced my hours to the minimum because I suffered a pinched nerve and was not well, but I tried to show up to the majority of my classes. By December, I went over the allowed # of cancellations and no-shows, so they cancelled my last 2 classes, and just sent me a letter that I have been terminated. I was unable to write back in fresh desk, so I replied to the email directly to explain my situation, but did not get a response. I at least wanted the chance to say goodbye to my most dedicated student who came a very long way from the very first time he started. This showed me that they do not care for their teachers, but definitely not for their students either. I care about my students success, and I felt so bad when they cancelled my final class with that student. I would have at least said my goodbyes and praised him for his remarkable progress. However,VIPKID likes to make money more than having it's
  more... students learn. It is a business, not a school. In fact, I have seem short video excerpts of some teachers (who are probably not qualified teachers) that act like clowns. I had high reviews each time that I was reviewed by VIPKID, and then I was terminated. It makes no sense.

I have over 15 years of teaching experience, and I think I would rather spend my extra time with my family and loved ones rather than with a company that doesn't respect me.
Pros
a little extra income, doing what you love most
Cons
not allowed to get sick, terrible policy, uncaring staff, it is a business, not a school
Good pay and support. Flexible hours if you are an early bird!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Home Based28 November 2016
I have worked for VIPKid for 6 months, and I enjoy it. The lessons are prepared, there are bonuses and fun incentives, and best of all, you get to choose your own schedule.
The company has grown fast and there are some growing pains, but management is clearly working hard to remedy the problems.

Currently, I work from 4-7:30 every weekday morning and some on the weekends. As an extra job or a full-time gig, it's a good deal. The downside is that there are no benefits and if you are sick, well, you do have to work! Still, I think the positives outweigh the negatives!
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
must carefully schedule time off and stay healthy!
Strict and unaccomodating company
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2016
This company started out great, you make your own hours and work from the comfort of your home. It's a bit tough to make any decent money from them AND have a social life as you'll have to be working on China time zone.
Then I started to see some flaws in the companies professionalism and how they treat their employees. You are not allowed to call in sick. If you are under the weather and cannot muster the energy to be high level, silly and goofy with the children you have two options - cancel the class and take a $10USD deduction per class missed (and you are only allowed 5 cancellations per contract term). Or suck it up and teach the class, but if you get a negative feedback from a parent, you will also get penalized and potentially loose money from that as well.
Pros
You make your own hours, work from home.
Cons
There is no 'real time' option to talk to anyone if you have a problem or question, They are ridiculous and unrealistic with their expectations of you, No communication with their employees what so ever.