Vintage Group is currently seeking an Executive Chef to join one of its award winning restaurants in the Calgary area
The Executive Chef oversees all day to day kitchen operations and outside caterings. The Executive Chef supervises the staff of the kitchen, participates in the training and development of staff, and provides performance appraisals and disciplinary action. The Executive Chef also determines the menu changes, equipment and ingredients that are necessary, and handles special menu requests. He/she manages the kitchen staff in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
- Customer Focus
- Energy and Stress
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Mediating and Negotiating
- Providing Consultation
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Staff Management
- Enforcing Laws, Rules and Regulations
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Development and Continual Learning
- Coach and provide leadership to all the staff of the kitchen, either directly or through the Sous Chef(s) and Chef de Partie(s), ensuring the training and development of staff, providing input for performance, appraisals, and disciplinary action, according to the values and guidelines of Redwater Rustic Grille.
- Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff.
- Recruit, train and develop all kitchen employees.
- Strong and effective communication with all departments specifically Restaurants, Banquets, and Catering.
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms and that food products are rotated to ensure high standards of freshness. Ensure refrigerators and storerooms are organized and maintained in the various kitchen areas on a daily basis and that all food products are stored in accordance with provincial regulations.
- Supervise and participate in the production and plating of all food service areas, to maintain the best quality food style possible.
- Provide input for menus -- creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff -- to create a consistent and quality food product.
- Order an inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen.
- Assist and coach in the organization of other staff to reduce the workload or meet the deadlines of the department.
- Ensure food is stored in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality.
- Create, implement and maintain department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
- Raise the standards within the department and bring new concepts forth.
- Strive to advance knowledge, skills and abilities and consistently share these with others.
- Respond in a positive and timely manner to all internal and external guest requests and complaints, while meeting the Redwater Rustic Grille standards to exceed the clients’ expectations in addition to remaining budget conscious, also ensuring that required forms are filled out and submitted to the required department managers who are notified and communicated with.
- Actively participate in the Redwater Rustic Grille environmental program and department specific initiatives in working towards sustainable operations.
- Strive to uphold a safe working environment and be Health and Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining and improving a safe work environment. Ensure maintenance requests, incident reports and incident investigations are submitted and followed up with.
- Purchase food and related culinary equipment and supplies, maintaining adequate pars, ensuring to both eliminate outages or shorts and participate in any opportunities to minimize inventory levels, minimizing capital while ensuring clients’ expectations are exceeded.
- Maintain the highest departmental standards as determined by the General Manager, Corporate Head office and the clients of Redwater Rustic Grille
- Prepare weekly staff schedules, and monitor staffing levels in conjunction with determined budgets.
- Seek opportunities to increase food revenue, decrease kitchen expenses and maximize departmental productivity without compromising our clients’ satisfaction.
- Promote professional work habits, encourage staff to act with integrity and recognize this trait in others and reward them appropriately.
- Manage employee performance through training, coaching, or corrective action as required, excluding termination of employees.
- Responsible for the complete kitchen operation.
- Carry out other related duties from time to time.
- Organize monthly staff meetings and develop an appropriate agenda.
- Maintain product consistency by conducting inspections of seasonings, portion, and appearance of food.
- Assure proper staffing and adequate supplies for all stations.
- All services, functions, and caterings are to be conducted in a timely fashion with co-ordination involving the General Manager, and Event Coordinator, ensuring readiness to start the event a minimum of fifteen minutes prior to the service time.
- Direct leadership, coaching, and discipline of the Sous Chef(s) ensuring the Sous Chef is fulfilling his/her job responsibilities as defined by the Redwater Rustic Grille with constant communication involving the General Manager.
- Adhere to all Redwater Rustic Grille Guidelines, Policies, Rules and Regulations.
- Completion and compliance of the Redwater Rustic Grille Orientation.
- Ensure all administrative forms are completed and submitted in a timely manner to all kitchen employees, including performance reviews, daily timesheets, payroll advice forms, retention bonus forms, payroll deductions, overtime approvals.
- Communicate to the Corporate Chef and The General Manager regarding kitchen operations.
- Initial any direct changes made to Event Order or Banquet Function Sheets/Contracts.
- Ensure daily menu specials are cost effective and are of high standards in quality and presentation.
- Complete and submit Request Forms to have required equipment repaired or serviced.
- Complete and submit to the Shipper Receiver a copy of the requisition for any non food supplies and / or alcohol for the kitchen.
- Delegate duties to the Sous Chef as necessary any operational aspects of the kitchen.
- Ensure that scheduled employees have reported to work; document any late or absent employees and use corrective action as deemed necessary.
- Ensure that the delegation of tasks and food production is organized through the use of prep sheets from the Sous Chef(s) and Chef de Partie(s) for the use of all staff.
- Coordinate breaks for employees through the Sous Chef(s) and Chef de Partie(s).
- Assign work and side duties to staff in accordance with departmental procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the (Company Name) standards and delegate these tasks.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings with the Sous Chef(s) and Chef de Partie(s) and review all information pertinent to the day’s business.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Inspect prior to the service or function, setups; inform the Manager and ensure that any deficiencies are rectified.
- Document any pertinent information in the departmental log book and ensure to use and record in the log book on a daily basis.
- Attend designated meetings, events, menu and wine tasting.
- Expedite on floor or in the kitchen as business demands.
- Oversee food deliveries to ensure the products have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by provincial health regulations.
- On a daily basis, give positive, negative, or developmental contacts to employees under your supervision through the use of the kitchen contact book.
- Ensure the proper use of scales and measurements in all recipes, portioning, and food production by both yourself and the staff under your direct supervision.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Culinary Education Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent required.
- Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
- Food Safe Certification.
- Membership of local Culinary Association.
- Minimum of 18 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a Sous Chef position or higher in a high volume and upscale environment.
- Minimum of 8 years' combined experience in the trade of cooking.
- Background in culinary competitions is beneficial.
- Food and beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
- Understanding of purchasing and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
- Effective decision making skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand and manage operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling.
- Ability to acquire and maintain relationships e.g., associates, customers, vendors.
- Knowledge of overall operations as they affect kitchen and related areas.
- Effective influence skills.
- Ability to effectively manage labour productivity.
- Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.
- Innovative, detail oriented, and quality conscious.
- Ability to recognize, influence, and follow foodservice trends in preparation and presentation.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs required.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Canadian, or have legal permission to work in Canada (e.g. open work permit).
- Overtime as required.
Please quote this position job title when applying. Thank You