Victorian Order of Nurses

Victorian Order of Nurses Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent work environment
Accountant (temporary assignment) (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 22, 2014
Fast past work environment and supervisor is quite supportive.
visiting nursing at this company has its pros and cons, flexible working hours and employee support ranks high.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee), trenton onJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: flexibled work hours
Cons: no job security
Full time staff get the hours required filled, and the part time staff get any visits left over resulting in work cancellations. this is normal across nursing agencies where there are no guaranteed hours. however, VON does their best to accommodate employees.
Negatives weigh out the positives.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Some positives about the company include: Flexibility with hours, Only required to work every third weekend, Building relationships with clients.

Negatives: Poor salary, Always having to scramble for hours, Scheduling, No room for advancement, Negative environment.
A lot of Patience required
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Bancroft, ONSeptember 30, 2013
I work in a recreational field in an adult day center. We provide support to seniors with Dementia and related diseases. We do a lot of activities to help people sustain as much independence as possible. We provide caregiver relief so everyone can live happily at home.
Scheduling a nightmare, PSW's underpaid and under appreciated
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Belleville, ONAugust 14, 2013
Pros: meet some great people
Cons: not paid travel time in between clients, ie: from the time we start our day to the time we are off the road, gas allowance not enough
My biggest beef is we are not paid the same rate as a PSW in a facility environment. Long hours on the road at all hours, no scheduled meal times, no travel time between clients, the cost of gas not really covered in mileage paid. Bonus? Offered options to advance education, paid by employer.
Fast-paced results driven environment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 17, 2013
On a daily basis I have an enormous workload, which must be completed to ensure client and service provider satisfaction. I work with minimal supervision and require little to no assistance from management.
A highly reputable organization with an impressive history and a wide range of health care services.
Branch Executive Director (Former Employee), Winnipeg Clinic, Winnipeg, MB.May 20, 2013
V.O.N. in Manitoba underwent a massive organizational transformation when the provision of home care services was assumed by the WRHA. For many years, most home visiting nurses were from V.O.N. After this monumental change, V.O.N. in Manitoba broadened its scope of services to include corporate wellness and immunization programs, in addition to in-home – more... nursing, homemaker and companion services - now provided on a fee for service basis. – less
Registred Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator
Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator (Current Employee), VON TorontoMay 1, 2013
I love to work as Home Care Dietitian. Excellent Dietitians team. and lots of time flexibility.
Community Nursing Support
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Trenton, ONApril 20, 2013
Community Nursing Care to people living at home and in nursing care homes
loved the work but found management uncaring and unreasonable in expectations
Community Health Nurse (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONApril 6, 2013
Pros: the amazing people i met in my work
Cons: very poor pay and unreasonable time per visits
I was primary nurse for a large traveling area covering Owen Sound's East side with Annan and Leith as well as Chatsworth, Holland Centre and Williamsford included. The time allowed for visits was unreasonable considering the type of clients I encountered! There were procedures to be done as well as clients with terminal illnesses needing lots of physical – more... care ! Along with this was the care of the family caregivers. There were many grief issues to be dealt with the clients and family members, especially if the dying person was a child or young parent. The milage travelled in one day could be extensive and the remuneration for wear and tear on a nurses personal vehicle was nil!

There hardest but best part of the job were the people in my care! They inspired me with their courage and compassion and tenacity as well as their hospitality! They were generous in allowing me into their lives and personal space which my job required! – less
Great Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMarch 7, 2013
Cons: can be physically demanding
I spend 3-4 hours a week working with an elderly disabled person. I spend one on one time with them providing companionship and friendship. I help with day to day activities such as shopping and running errands. Hardest part of the job is wanting to do more but remembering that I am not a PSW. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a friend in – more... my client and building a relationship with them. – less
good company to work for
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), calgaryMarch 3, 2013
i look after client in their homes, i have learned alot thru the yrs being there , management is great ..they know what they are doing , the office staff is polite and know how to answer all of ur questions. the co worker are super people to work with , from different back ground , the hardest part of the job is getting to know them , to be there for – more... them if they need to talk ..cause they are lonely, and has no one to talk to u......just a sounding board.....i have worked there a long time their has been many changes .....thru the years for the better. – less
Very fullfilling and rewarding career
Meals on Wheels Coordinator (Former Employee), Mount Forest, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: interaction with the community, limited supervision
Cons: cutbacks from wwlhin
I worked as a coordinator and therapeutic programmer over a period of a decade with the VON. I was very proud to be part of a wonderful health care organization where they strive to enhance and perfect the way health care is delivered to the community. My views and opinions were always taken into consideration. My co-workers and i knew that we needed – more... to take on a "servant leadership " approach in our day to day operations. It was an enjoyable place to work . – less
Rewarding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: benifits for full time staff
Cons: long hours
Working with VON I learned skill's such as time manangment and organization, I learned to be confident in my skills and ablilities by working independently.

Management, was not someone you worked along side with but they were avalible if you needed to communicate with them and they were very helpful when you needed it.

Co-workers were also not people – more... you worked along side with but they were offten avalible to help support you with advice on clients and were avilable to help when needed also.

Hardest part of the job was the time allowed per client. Often feeling rushed to get every task completed to allow enough time to get to your next client.

Most enjoyable part of my job, was making someone's day! Often clients didn't have much to look forward to during the day but the time they had to spend having a bath or eating a meal with some companionship and that was a nice feeling knowing that you have made someones day and built a relationship with someone. – less
summary
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Trenton, ONDecember 28, 2012
One of the greatest learning experiences of my life, they treat customers and patients with so much respect and understanding. It gave me an idea what I wanted to do in my life and everyday was new and exciting.
Good job to expand skills
Caseload Planner (Current Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 15, 2012
It is a good place to learn new tasks and expand your knowledge. You learn to multitask and work in a fast paced and everchanging environment.
Productive and fun place to work, everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Receptionist (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: keeping busy outside of home.
Cons: not being paid.
A typical day at work was greeting visitors and answering the phones. Some photocopying and mail done.

I learned how to set up the board room for meetings and also, how to order the ssupplies for the office.

Everyone that I worked with were friendly and helped me when I needed it.

There was nothing difficult to do on the job.

I enjoyed the people – more... contact. – less
Great clients to work with
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), BellevilleAugust 24, 2012
VON is a great place to work, I learned a lot from the home care experience and all the supporting staff was excellent.
Terrible employment
Caseload Planner (Former Employee), North Bay, ONAugust 20, 2012
I was on call all day everyday and often was away from home for over 10 hours a day. When confronted the management told me to deal with it.
VON - Assignment CSR
Client services Representative (Current Employee), London OntarioJuly 31, 2012
My duties include:
Answering phone calls from clients, services providers and funders.
Data entry of nurses availability, client referrals and scheduling nurses/clients
Processing of nurses report of service
Data Entry of client referrals and updates