Victorian Order of Nurses Employee Reviews in Canada

Easiest job I ever had
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 28, 2016
overall this was the easiest job ever, a lot of data entry duties, very repetitive but it is so easy that you don't mind. Lunch breaks were long and typically the admin team would go out for lunch every friday.
Also, very great pay, considering that you're not doing loads of work.
HR admin support started at $18/hr to $20+/hr (agency hires make $13 for this position so try to apply directly)
Pros
Great pay, Long lunches, people were helpful
Cons
not much room for advancement
Productive and calm
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
I loved seeing seniors faces when I arrived every morning. every day was a happy day. The hardest part of my day would be having to send a client to the hospital. management was always happy and easy to report to
Poor Senior Management Team
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJanuary 20, 2016
Lack of appropriate financial and senior management support made it difficult to carry out day to day activities and difficult to carry out managerial duties. Very poor communication from Senior management team. In addition, VON has poor compensation and retention strategies.
Home support worker
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 21, 2016
I absolutely love working with others to keep them in their homes & continue to learn new skills daily to make me a better PSW for my patients.
Wonderful place to work.
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 7, 2015
Typical day at work involves answering the phone, constant telephone contact and email interaction with nurses. Management is very helpful to assist with problems with they arise. My co-workers and I work as a team to ensure all client visits and needs are met. The hardest part of the job is rearranging client visits when a nurse calls in sick. The most enjoyable part of my job is, at the end of the day, knowing that I helped to provide excellence in client care.
Flexible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2015
The hours were very flexible, coworkers are nice, Management could always use improvement,

If you're casual make sure you have some other form of employment.
Pros
Start time for shifts
Cons
Little room for advancement
Highly rated Place to work
Payroll/Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  HalifaxAugust 18, 2015
VON is a great place to work but are going through a lot of changes this year. Their have been cut backs and I don't feel I have job security.
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 23, 2015
-submit payroll for Admin/Managers bi weekly
-review resumes, screen candidates
-submit recruitment ads online and in the Chronicle Journal
-work closely with management and Board of Directors
-book travel for management and service providers
-minute taking for various committees
-certificate OH&S member
-organize in house National Orientation
-submit new hire paper work
-see resume for more detail-
loved my job had fun my co-workers were great,
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Helping people up to 8 clients a day, i learned to have compassion , understanding for all the clients i worked with. I think the hardest part of my job was all the hrs i worked as i would work most holidays i worked split shift 5 x a week am and pm visits for most clients in the community. The most enjoyable part was Helping people seeing them get well in home and making them smile when they were having a bad day or having pain and just being there for them when family cant.
Cons
working 2 weeks on with only 1 day off till my next weekend off .
Good Company
CCA (Current Employee) –  Truro, NSJune 9, 2015
First are breakfasts and personal care visits.
Lunches usually are second after
Housekeeping in the afternoon
Suppers
And then evening care visits..
Day goes by fast, usualy busy.
Love being on the move and in clients homes.
What you have learned
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 29, 2015
I have learned that the most important thing is to treat each client

equally. No matter which part of town a client lived in, they are

entitled to equivalent care.

Our goal is to help people remain in their homes, and we do that

by promoting independence. This can be achieved with any client

anywhere.
Pros
flexibility
PSW
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  peterboroughMay 20, 2015
Not a great place to work, management not organized, no place to grow within the company. hours are not guaranteed. The benefits are amazing though
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
hours are not guranteed
Scheduling a nightmare, PSW's underpaid and under appreciated
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 14, 2013
My biggest beef is we are not paid the same rate as a PSW in a facility environment. Long hours on the road at all hours, no scheduled meal times, no travel time between clients, the cost of gas not really covered in mileage paid. Bonus? Offered options to advance education, paid by employer.
Pros
meet some great people
Cons
not paid travel time in between clients, ie: from the time we start our day to the time we are off the road, gas allowance not enough
Productive and fun place to work, everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Receptionist (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 21, 2012
A typical day at work was greeting visitors and answering the phones. Some photocopying and mail done.

I learned how to set up the board room for meetings and also, how to order the ssupplies for the office.

Everyone that I worked with were friendly and helped me when I needed it.

There was nothing difficult to do on the job.

I enjoyed the people contact.
Pros
keeping busy outside of home.
Cons
not being paid.
Very fullfilling and rewarding career
Meals on Wheels Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Forest, ONFebruary 6, 2013
I worked as a coordinator and therapeutic programmer over a period of a decade with the VON. I was very proud to be part of a wonderful health care organization where they strive to enhance and perfect the way health care is delivered to the community. My views and opinions were always taken into consideration. My co-workers and i knew that we needed to take on a "servant leadership " approach in our day to day operations. It was an enjoyable place to work .
Pros
interaction with the community, limited supervision
Cons
cutbacks from wwlhin
good company to work for
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  calgaryMarch 3, 2013
i look after client in their homes, i have learned alot thru the yrs being there , management is great ..they know what they are doing , the office staff is polite and know how to answer all of ur questions. the co worker are super people to work with , from different back ground , the hardest part of the job is getting to know them , to be there for them if they need to talk ..cause they are lonely, and has no one to talk to u......just a sounding board.....i have worked there a long time their has been many changes .....thru the years for the better.
A highly reputable organization with an impressive history and a wide range of health care services.
Branch Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Clinic, Winnipeg, MB.May 20, 2013
V.O.N. in Manitoba underwent a massive organizational transformation when the provision of home care services was assumed by the WRHA. For many years, most home visiting nurses were from V.O.N. After this monumental change, V.O.N. in Manitoba broadened its scope of services to include corporate wellness and immunization programs, in addition to in-home nursing, homemaker and companion services - now provided on a fee for service basis.
Great Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 7, 2013
I spend 3-4 hours a week working with an elderly disabled person. I spend one on one time with them providing companionship and friendship. I help with day to day activities such as shopping and running errands. Hardest part of the job is wanting to do more but remembering that I am not a PSW. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a friend in my client and building a relationship with them.
Cons
can be physically demanding
visiting nursing at this company has its pros and cons, flexible working hours and employee support ranks high.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  trenton onJanuary 6, 2014
Full time staff get the hours required filled, and the part time staff get any visits left over resulting in work cancellations. this is normal across nursing agencies where there are no guaranteed hours. however, VON does their best to accommodate employees.
Pros
flexibled work hours
Cons
no job security
very rewarding
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  County of East HantsOctober 22, 2014
I enjoyed working on my own, taking care of people who needed help with their activities of daily living it was very rewarding and being able to spend time with elderly people and give them some company. My co-workers were awesome and my manager was helpful and caring.
Pros
working on own.

Victorian Order of Nurses Reviews by Location