Victorian Order of Nurses

Victorian Order of Nurses Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 23, 2015
-submit payroll for Admin/Managers bi weekly
-review resumes, screen candidates
-submit recruitment ads online and in the Chronicle Journal
-work closely with management and Board of Directors
-book travel for management and service providers
-minute taking for various committees
-certificate OH&S member
-organize in house National Orientation
-submit new hire paper work
-see resume for more detail-
loved my job had fun my co-workers were great,
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Cons: working 2 weeks on with only 1 day off till my next weekend off .
Helping people up to 8 clients a day, i learned to have compassion , understanding for all the clients i worked with. I think the hardest part of my job was all the hrs i worked as i would work most holidays i worked split shift 5 x a week am and pm visits for most clients in the community. The most enjoyable part was Helping people seeing them get well in home and making them smile when they were having a bad day or having pain and just being there for them when family cant.
Office work
Clerk (Former Employee), Windsor, ONNovember 6, 2014
My position here was short and over 15 years ago so I have little comment.
I recall answering phones, filing and co-ordinating the nurses that went out to serve in residents around our county.
very rewarding
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee), County of East HantsOctober 22, 2014
Pros: working on own.
I enjoyed working on my own, taking care of people who needed help with their activities of daily living it was very rewarding and being able to spend time with elderly people and give them some company. My co-workers were awesome and my manager was helpful and caring.
Fun Fast Paced enviroment
Admin Support (Former Employee), Truro, NSOctober 6, 2014
A typical day in the office would include answering phone calls, Making appointments for the the different clinic's we offer. calling and reminding clients of the upcoming appointments.
Promises made on hire did not come to fruition
Enhanced Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 25, 2014
This program promised part and full time opportunities, However, a year later and all PSWs are still casual with no benefits.
Learn lots
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), London, ONApril 22, 2014
Learned lots of new things through training and using my experience on patients.
Excellent work environment
Accountant (temporary assignment) (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 22, 2014
Fast past work environment and supervisor is quite supportive.
visiting nursing at this company has its pros and cons, flexible working hours and employee support ranks high.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee), trenton onJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: flexibled work hours
Cons: no job security
Full time staff get the hours required filled, and the part time staff get any visits left over resulting in work cancellations. this is normal across nursing agencies where there are no guaranteed hours. however, VON does their best to accommodate employees.
Negatives weigh out the positives.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Some positives about the company include: Flexibility with hours, Only required to work every third weekend, Building relationships with clients.

Negatives: Poor salary, Always having to scramble for hours, Scheduling, No room for advancement, Negative environment.
A lot of Patience required
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Bancroft, ONSeptember 30, 2013
I work in a recreational field in an adult day center. We provide support to seniors with Dementia and related diseases. We do a lot of activities to help people sustain as much independence as possible. We provide caregiver relief so everyone can live happily at home.
enjoyable
Intake / Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: great team to work with
Enjoyed working with a great team, learned alot about making daily assignments for nurses who travel to homes. (home care services). Communicating with patients and families about their care.
Scheduling a nightmare, PSW's underpaid and under appreciated
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Belleville, ONAugust 14, 2013
Pros: meet some great people
Cons: not paid travel time in between clients, ie: from the time we start our day to the time we are off the road, gas allowance not enough
My biggest beef is we are not paid the same rate as a PSW in a facility environment. Long hours on the road at all hours, no scheduled meal times, no travel time between clients, the cost of gas not really covered in mileage paid. Bonus? Offered options to advance education, paid by employer.
Fast-paced results driven environment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 17, 2013
On a daily basis I have an enormous workload, which must be completed to ensure client and service provider satisfaction. I work with minimal supervision and require little to no assistance from management.
A highly reputable organization with an impressive history and a wide range of health care services.
Branch Executive Director (Former Employee), Winnipeg Clinic, Winnipeg, MB.May 20, 2013
V.O.N. in Manitoba underwent a massive organizational transformation when the provision of home care services was assumed by the WRHA. For many years, most home visiting nurses were from V.O.N. After this monumental change, V.O.N. in Manitoba broadened its scope of services to include corporate wellness and immunization programs, in addition to in-home nursing, homemaker and companion services - now provided on a fee for service basis.
Registred Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator
Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator (Current Employee), VON TorontoMay 1, 2013
I love to work as Home Care Dietitian. Excellent Dietitians team. and lots of time flexibility.
Community Nursing Support
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Trenton, ONApril 20, 2013
Community Nursing Care to people living at home and in nursing care homes
loved the work but found management uncaring and unreasonable in expectations
Community Health Nurse (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONApril 6, 2013
Pros: the amazing people i met in my work
Cons: very poor pay and unreasonable time per visits
I was primary nurse for a large traveling area covering Owen Sound's East side with Annan and Leith as well as Chatsworth, Holland Centre and Williamsford included. The time allowed for visits was unreasonable considering the type of clients I encountered! There were procedures to be done as well as clients with terminal illnesses needing lots of physical care ! Along with this was the care of the family caregivers. There were many grief issues to be dealt with the clients and family members, especially if the dying person was a child or young parent. The milage travelled in one day could be extensive and the remuneration for wear and tear on a nurses personal vehicle was nil!

There hardest but best part of the job were the people in my care! They inspired me with their courage and compassion and tenacity as well as their hospitality! They were generous in allowing me into their lives and personal space which my job required!
Great Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMarch 7, 2013
Cons: can be physically demanding
I spend 3-4 hours a week working with an elderly disabled person. I spend one on one time with them providing companionship and friendship. I help with day to day activities such as shopping and running errands. Hardest part of the job is wanting to do more but remembering that I am not a PSW. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a friend in my client and building a relationship with them.
good company to work for
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), calgaryMarch 3, 2013
i look after client in their homes, i have learned alot thru the yrs being there , management is great ..they know what they are doing , the office staff is polite and know how to answer all of ur questions. the co worker are super people to work with , from different back ground , the hardest part of the job is getting to know them , to be there for them if they need to talk ..cause they are lonely, and has no one to talk to u......just a sounding board.....i have worked there a long time their has been many changes .....thru the years for the better.