VICTORIA UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Loved working at the Uni until constant restructuring
Senior Special Consideration & Progress Officer (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC31 July 2017
Although change is needed in every work place, constant restructuring is damaging to staff morale and doesn't allow for bedding in of current changes before new changes are made. It slowly ate away at the staff and students over a number of years. Loved working with students and my team members were fabulous.
Pros
Student interaction, great team
Cons
Constant restructure made for bad staff morale
Cultural
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 July 2017
phd students can be primadonnas. However, the professional staff reign in the strays and mantain an organised yet fluid production process of intellectual property and pursuit thereof.
Pros
Professionial Staff
Cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC26 June 2017
Was a challenging job, had to wake up early in the morning. I have learnt many things working here and have enjoyed working at this place, great team work.
Pros
team work
Fun and friendly workplace
Student Mentor and Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW8 June 2017
Friendly environment with a lot of room to grow. I have very good mentors from the management and I'm learning a lot from them that make thing easier with the job.
Pros
Free lunches, management bond with staff and students
challenging but fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington15 April 2017
I help students solve their equiries. This helps me further my knowledge, improve communication skills and oral English. I also made friends with some students.
Best workplace
Reception / Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 January 2017
Loved my time at VU, great work culture & people.
Lots of diversity and opportunity.
Good location & friendly staff & students.
Capacity building
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 December 2016
The organisation provide trainings and worship to build its staff capacity to deliver a quality of services

The organisation is culturally oriented
Pros
Free stationary materials
Cons
Exhaustion
Busy and productive work environment
Researcher/Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne VIC4 December 2016
I enjoyed working here with one of the most professional teams engaged in bringing better education products to industry. The work was interesting and fulfilling.
Pros
All good
Cons
Educational and seeing my students "grow and excel"!
Sessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC30 November 2016
The best part about my job is the teaching aspect side of it, teaching undergraduate students and most of all empower them with knowledge and providing them with the right tools to not only pass the subject matter but to excel and succeed in their dream jobs and beyond. The most challenging part is trying to make your superiors happy and delivering the subject matter according to their expectations. Overall I love my job, and I love to see my students grow and excel in their studies.
Pros
Good pay rates.
Cons
Long hours, preparing lesson plans and marking assignments.
The Australian Graduate Surveys
Casual Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 July 2016
Completed tasks as assigned.
Completed face to face and telephony surveys.
Data validation and coding activities complete.
Completed paperwork as assigned.
Gauged understanding of student overall experience.
Found out very hostile and political environment.
Team worked with besides the surveys manager at the time who was way too skilled and developed for the unit could not implement the changes required for the unit.
Besides the academics who knew what they were doing, non academic staff posed a lot of problems for the unit.
Pros
Work was completed in an orderly manner
Cons
Nonsense irrelevant politics between academic and non academic staff

Want to know more about VICTORIA UNIVERSITY?

Ask a question
Hands on and friendly
Diploma of nursing (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 March 2016
the various hospitals i have done my placements expanded and developed my nursing skills, my communication with patients and families are friendly and professional. my patients care is a priority. i love working with other collegues and achieving my goals per shift. I have learnt time management skills and became very good at it. the best part was making my patients smile and the hardest part was saying good-bye at the end of each placement
Stable employment with good benefits
food and beverage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 February 2016
Stable employment little opportunity for progression. Little or no training provided. Public service employment is good but can be very repetitive Good venues to work in providing excellent catering and function spaces. Staff good to work with and supportive of each other. A lot of red tape and barriers in place made some issues prohibitive to work with. Management had difficulty in curbing cost control in some departments. Costs involved delivering our products made it often difficult to make a profit. Good learning curve coming from private enterprise to government employment.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Staff morale was poor due to cost cutting measures
Intellectual environment
Senior research fellow (Former Employee) –  VIC1 February 2016
Academic environment. Flexible working hours. Very good working space, lots of privacy. Not much chance for improvement, lack of dialog, no staff meetings and no involvement in the management of the centre.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low salary and hard to find projects
As below
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC17 January 2016
Victoria University gave me an opportunity to gain practical experience within a large institution, this experience is in valuable to a young person such as myself.
Pros
Fun working environment, enjoyed working with the students
Cons
resources not always available
Loved working with young people
Various Administration duties (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs, VIC10 January 2016
The staff and students at Victoria University were wonderful. I enjoyed working there and it took a great deal of soul searching before I applied for a Voluntary Redundancy Package. After over 20 years I decided it was time for a change and some new challenges.
Pros
Staff and students
Cons
Uncertainty and needing new challenges
working closely with international student department to organize activities for international as well as focusing on the welfare of the students
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Melbourne1 December 2015
We need to work closely with the student staff and doing our best to solve the issue of international students.At the same, i need to lead a team of 30 people which makes sure i have a good leadership skill .
Productive and Informative
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW23 July 2015
Good work Environment.
Learned more about the subjects I was teaching.
Colleagues are very supportive.
Vibrant workplace.
productive and fun workplace
Lecturer and Quality Nominee (Current Employee) –  Rangoon5 July 2015
Class rooms are very good standard.
All teachers are lovely and helpful.
Free Internet service and E library for teachers.
Good productive teacher training are usually provided.
Budget for learner's project are partly provided.
Pros
Free internet Wifi
Cons
Not good Internet Wifi service
Fun place with good lecturers
student (Former Employee) –  Pipitea Campus30 June 2015
This university was a fun place to study. Most of the lecturers were great and the campus had great facilities conducive to learning. parking was a problem if you didn't live in the Wellington central business district.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Invigilator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 November 2014
A typical day at the showgrounds where they have the exams, Is organizing the morning tea breaks, getting all the exams put out on the tables in 810 seats, each exam has a spot and row to be in, very important, supervising the running times of exams and if there is any deception going on. Once exams are complete, picking up each row in order and securing the exams for secure pick up by the lectures. Checking students id's, knowing that right student is sitting the right exam, without deception. Checking the students have the exact materials that is allowed for each individual exam. Each and every job is just as important as the next. Working together with your co-workers making sure it all runs smoothly.
Pros
Work party
Cons
On your feet all day, walking up and down the isles