VICTORIA UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

The Australian Graduate Surveys
Casual Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VICJuly 4, 2016
Completed tasks as assigned.
Completed face to face and telephony surveys.
Data validation and coding activities complete.
Completed paperwork as assigned.
Gauged understanding of student overall experience.
Found out very hostile and political environment.
Team worked with besides the surveys manager at the time who was way too skilled and developed for the unit could not implement the changes required for the unit.
Besides the academics who knew what they were doing, non academic staff posed a lot of problems for the unit.
Pros
Work was completed in an orderly manner
Cons
Nonsense irrelevant politics between academic and non academic staff
Hands on and friendly
Diploma of nursing (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VICMarch 22, 2016
the various hospitals i have done my placements expanded and developed my nursing skills, my communication with patients and families are friendly and professional. my patients care is a priority. i love working with other collegues and achieving my goals per shift. I have learnt time management skills and became very good at it. the best part was making my patients smile and the hardest part was saying good-bye at the end of each placement
Intellectual environment
Senior research fellow (Former Employee) –  VICFebruary 1, 2016
Academic environment. Flexible working hours. Very good working space, lots of privacy. Not much chance for improvement, lack of dialog, no staff meetings and no involvement in the management of the centre.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low salary and hard to find projects
As below
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Footscray VICJanuary 17, 2016
Victoria University gave me an opportunity to gain practical experience within a large institution, this experience is in valuable to a young person such as myself.
Pros
Fun working environment, enjoyed working with the students
Cons
resources not always available
Loved working with young people
Various Administration duties (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs, VICJanuary 10, 2016
The staff and students at Victoria University were wonderful. I enjoyed working there and it took a great deal of soul searching before I applied for a Voluntary Redundancy Package. After over 20 years I decided it was time for a change and some new challenges.
Pros
Staff and students
Cons
Uncertainty and needing new challenges
Productive and Informative
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSWJuly 23, 2015
Good work Environment.
Learned more about the subjects I was teaching.
Colleagues are very supportive.
Vibrant workplace.
Fun place with good lecturers
student (Former Employee) –  Pipitea CampusJune 30, 2015
This university was a fun place to study. Most of the lecturers were great and the campus had great facilities conducive to learning. parking was a problem if you didn't live in the Wellington central business district.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Invigilator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VICNovember 9, 2014
A typical day at the showgrounds where they have the exams, Is organizing the morning tea breaks, getting all the exams put out on the tables in 810 seats, each exam has a spot and row to be in, very important, supervising the running times of exams and if there is any deception going on. Once exams are complete, picking up each row in order and securing the exams for secure pick up by the lectures. Checking students id's, knowing that right student is sitting the right exam, without deception. Checking the students have the exact materials that is allowed for each individual exam. Each and every job is just as important as the next. Working together with your co-workers making sure it all runs smoothly.
Pros
work party
Cons
on your feet all day, walking up and down the isles
fine
Director Academic Support and Development (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VICNovember 5, 2014
fine
supports people from range of background
challenged by changes
changes opportunities
lovely environment
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  300 Flinders Street MelbourneSeptember 29, 2014
Great environment to working in , i guess i have to say no pressure as long as you finish the tasks there were given (which i did)
Fun part communicating with lots of people , supportive team
Pros
Cons
sometimes
Work During its busiest
Marketing/ Event Management (Current Employee) –  FootscrayMay 2, 2014
The busy periods at work are from September to December for the New Students Summer fittings and March to May for the Winter Fittings.
On these busy periods we would serve over 300 people
On these days every employee must:
* Serve each customer with excellent customer service skills
* Mulit-task
* Be prepared for any questions asked
* Be confident
* Be fully aware of any changes in school uniform

The most enjoyable part of the job is serving each customer efficiently and getting positive feedback from them
The hardest part of the job is the cleaning and folding of clothes after a long say at work
Pros
flexible hours for school
Cons
no job advancement
rewarding
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, NFebruary 6, 2014
data collection and search literature
learn:Expert Excel skill
time management
Excellent
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VICJanuary 10, 2014
Excellent place to work.
University working environment.
productive
Administrative Officer (casual) (Current Employee) –  melbourne vicDecember 9, 2013
Administer the operation of the reception area
Liaise with a diverse range of customers and staff from all levels
Provide administrative support to management, staff members of the section and students of the University
Cash Handling/EFTPOS payment
Reconciliation
Petty Cash
Stationery Stocktake
Reservations/Bookings
Design and present word documents and excel spreadsheets
Record Keeping/Archiving

Pros
fun enviroment
Great experience for students
RESEARCH ASSISTANT TO DR. PETER WOOD (Former Employee) –  WellingtonDecember 4, 2013
This position was for students to delve int their interest deeper with a senior lecturer they admire.

I learnt so much from this experience and recommend it to other students if they get the opportunity
Work Experience
Campus Coach (Former Employee) –  Wellington CityNovember 11, 2013
I really enjoyed having a position with helping first year students settle into the University life. I was able to use my past experience as a first year student to help support students with their studies and also making sure that their transition into University life.
Administration, Staff Management, Productive Team Environment
Admissions Assistant/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New ZealandOctober 11, 2013
- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff
- Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines
- Great team environment with hard working co-workers
- None, enjoyed every aspect of the job
- Working with an enthusiastic team, supported by great management structure and helping students.
Pros
working as a team, advancing to team leader, busy with tight deadlines
Health Promotion lecturer
Health Lecturer (Former Employee) –  FootscraySeptember 4, 2013
Established and implemented the curriculum for Social Bases of Health unit to third year Education students. Provided support and supervision to students on their rounds in Secondary and Primary schools
Pros
contract flexible work
Cons
lots of marking
a typical day of work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Pipitea campus, near railway station, wellintonJune 22, 2013
I am currently working in OCS cleaning company. I am working with 5 employees including team leader and one day two of the other workers were absent. My team leader was worried as no worker was send from kelburn campus. So we have to clean 12 floors of the building. We start our work at 7 to 11 and that day though it was hard but i finished the work at 10:30pm. I was appreciated by team leader and supervisor. I alone took rubish from 12 floors, vacumm 3 lecture theatres and clean full ground floor. I was happy in the end but i managed my time and work equally.
ever changing busy workplace with positive culture activities
Fees Officer (Former Employee) –  St Albans, VictoriaApril 15, 2013
Had no reason to complain about Victoria University but recently with the cuts in university funding jobs are not as secure as they used to be. Unfortunately VU introduced the Student as Staff program (students are getting employed and replacing permanent staff), this is creating friction In the workplace.
Due to all these changes I decided to take up a VSP.
Pros
great superannuation scheme
Cons
university funding cuts causing insecurity in the workplace

4.3