VICTORIA UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

The Australian Graduate Surveys
Casual Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 July 2016
Completed tasks as assigned.
Completed face to face and telephony surveys.
Data validation and coding activities complete.
Completed paperwork as assigned.
Gauged understanding of student overall experience.
Found out very hostile and political environment.
Team worked with besides the surveys manager at the time who was way too skilled and developed for the unit could not implement the changes required for the unit.
Besides the academics who knew what they were doing, non academic staff posed a lot of problems for the unit.
Pros
Work was completed in an orderly manner
Cons
Nonsense irrelevant politics between academic and non academic staff
Hands on and friendly
Diploma of nursing (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 March 2016
the various hospitals i have done my placements expanded and developed my nursing skills, my communication with patients and families are friendly and professional. my patients care is a priority. i love working with other collegues and achieving my goals per shift. I have learnt time management skills and became very good at it. the best part was making my patients smile and the hardest part was saying good-bye at the end of each placement
Stable employment with good benefits
food and beverage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 February 2016
Stable employment little opportunity for progression. Little or no training provided. Public service employment is good but can be very repetitive Good venues to work in providing excellent catering and function spaces. Staff good to work with and supportive of each other. A lot of red tape and barriers in place made some issues prohibitive to work with. Management had difficulty in curbing cost control in some departments. Costs involved delivering our products made it often difficult to make a profit. Good learning curve coming from private enterprise to government employment.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Staff morale was poor due to cost cutting measures
Intellectual environment
Senior research fellow (Former Employee) –  VIC1 February 2016
Academic environment. Flexible working hours. Very good working space, lots of privacy. Not much chance for improvement, lack of dialog, no staff meetings and no involvement in the management of the centre.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low salary and hard to find projects
As below
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC17 January 2016
Victoria University gave me an opportunity to gain practical experience within a large institution, this experience is in valuable to a young person such as myself.
Pros
Fun working environment, enjoyed working with the students
Cons
resources not always available
Loved working with young people
Various Administration duties (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs, VIC10 January 2016
The staff and students at Victoria University were wonderful. I enjoyed working there and it took a great deal of soul searching before I applied for a Voluntary Redundancy Package. After over 20 years I decided it was time for a change and some new challenges.
Pros
Staff and students
Cons
Uncertainty and needing new challenges
working closely with international student department to organize activities for international as well as focusing on the welfare of the students
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Melbourne1 December 2015
We need to work closely with the student staff and doing our best to solve the issue of international students.At the same, i need to lead a team of 30 people which makes sure i have a good leadership skill .
Productive and Informative
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW23 July 2015
Good work Environment.
Learned more about the subjects I was teaching.
Colleagues are very supportive.
Vibrant workplace.
productive and fun workplace
Lecturer and Quality Nominee (Current Employee) –  Rangoon5 July 2015
Class rooms are very good standard.
All teachers are lovely and helpful.
Free Internet service and E library for teachers.
Good productive teacher training are usually provided.
Budget for learner's project are partly provided.
Pros
Free internet Wifi
Cons
Not good Internet Wifi service
Fun place with good lecturers
student (Former Employee) –  Pipitea Campus30 June 2015
This university was a fun place to study. Most of the lecturers were great and the campus had great facilities conducive to learning. parking was a problem if you didn't live in the Wellington central business district.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Invigilator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 November 2014
A typical day at the showgrounds where they have the exams, Is organizing the morning tea breaks, getting all the exams put out on the tables in 810 seats, each exam has a spot and row to be in, very important, supervising the running times of exams and if there is any deception going on. Once exams are complete, picking up each row in order and securing the exams for secure pick up by the lectures. Checking students id's, knowing that right student is sitting the right exam, without deception. Checking the students have the exact materials that is allowed for each individual exam. Each and every job is just as important as the next. Working together with your co-workers making sure it all runs smoothly.
Pros
Work party
Cons
On your feet all day, walking up and down the isles
fine
Director Academic Support and Development (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC5 November 2014
fine
supports people from range of background
challenged by changes
changes opportunities
lovely environment
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  300 Flinders Street Melbourne29 September 2014
Great environment to working in , i guess i have to say no pressure as long as you finish the tasks there were given (which i did)
Fun part communicating with lots of people , supportive team
Pros
Cons
sometimes
Work During its busiest
Marketing/ Event Management (Current Employee) –  Footscray2 May 2014
The busy periods at work are from September to December for the New Students Summer fittings and March to May for the Winter Fittings.
On these busy periods we would serve over 300 people
On these days every employee must:
* Serve each customer with excellent customer service skills
* Mulit-task
* Be prepared for any questions asked
* Be confident
* Be fully aware of any changes in school uniform

The most enjoyable part of the job is serving each customer efficiently and getting positive feedback from them
The hardest part of the job is the cleaning and folding of clothes after a long say at work
Pros
Flexible Hours for School
Cons
No Job Advancement
Footscray Park Campus - Library Attendant (Current Employee) –  Footscray, Victoria11 April 2014
To work in the Library and Information industry, with the attitude and personal characteristics necessary to reach a high standard in meeting all my responsibilities to library clients and other library staff members, in a friendly and helpful manner.
rewarding
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N6 February 2014
data collection and search literature
learn:Expert Excel skill
time management
Excellent
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC10 January 2014
Excellent place to work.
University working environment.
productive
Administrative Officer (casual) (Current Employee) –  melbourne vic9 December 2013
Administer the operation of the reception area
Liaise with a diverse range of customers and staff from all levels
Provide administrative support to management, staff members of the section and students of the University
Cash Handling/EFTPOS payment
Reconciliation
Petty Cash
Stationery Stocktake
Reservations/Bookings
Design and present word documents and excel spreadsheets
Record Keeping/Archiving

Pros
fun enviroment
Great experience for students
RESEARCH ASSISTANT TO DR. PETER WOOD (Former Employee) –  Wellington4 December 2013
This position was for students to delve int their interest deeper with a senior lecturer they admire.

I learnt so much from this experience and recommend it to other students if they get the opportunity
Work Experience
Campus Coach (Former Employee) –  Wellington City11 November 2013
I really enjoyed having a position with helping first year students settle into the University life. I was able to use my past experience as a first year student to help support students with their studies and also making sure that their transition into University life.

4.3