VICTORIA UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Educational and seeing my students "grow and excel"!
Sessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC30 November 2016
The best part about my job is the teaching aspect side of it, teaching undergraduate students and most of all empower them with knowledge and providing them with the right tools to not only pass the subject matter but to excel and succeed in their dream jobs and beyond. The most challenging part is trying to make your superiors happy and delivering the subject matter according to their expectations. Overall I love my job, and I love to see my students grow and excel in their studies.
Pros
Good pay rates.
Cons
Long hours, preparing lesson plans and marking assignments.
Intellectual environment
Senior research fellow (Former Employee) –  VIC1 February 2016
Academic environment. Flexible working hours. Very good working space, lots of privacy. Not much chance for improvement, lack of dialog, no staff meetings and no involvement in the management of the centre.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low salary and hard to find projects
The Australian Graduate Surveys
Casual Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 July 2016
Completed tasks as assigned.
Completed face to face and telephony surveys.
Data validation and coding activities complete.
Completed paperwork as assigned.
Gauged understanding of student overall experience.
Found out very hostile and political environment.
Team worked with besides the surveys manager at the time who was way too skilled and developed for the unit could not implement the changes required for the unit.
Besides the academics who knew what they were doing, non academic staff posed a lot of problems for the unit.
Pros
Work was completed in an orderly manner
Cons
Nonsense irrelevant politics between academic and non academic staff
Busy and productive work environment
Researcher/Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne VIC4 December 2016
I enjoyed working here with one of the most professional teams engaged in bringing better education products to industry. The work was interesting and fulfilling.
Pros
All good
Capacity building
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 December 2016
The organisation provide trainings and worship to build its staff capacity to deliver a quality of services

The organisation is culturally oriented
Pros
Free stationary materials
Cons
Exhaustion
Stable employment with good benefits
food and beverage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 February 2016
Stable employment little opportunity for progression. Little or no training provided. Public service employment is good but can be very repetitive Good venues to work in providing excellent catering and function spaces. Staff good to work with and supportive of each other. A lot of red tape and barriers in place made some issues prohibitive to work with. Management had difficulty in curbing cost control in some departments. Costs involved delivering our products made it often difficult to make a profit. Good learning curve coming from private enterprise to government employment.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Staff morale was poor due to cost cutting measures
Hands on and friendly
Diploma of nursing (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 March 2016
the various hospitals i have done my placements expanded and developed my nursing skills, my communication with patients and families are friendly and professional. my patients care is a priority. i love working with other collegues and achieving my goals per shift. I have learnt time management skills and became very good at it. the best part was making my patients smile and the hardest part was saying good-bye at the end of each placement
productive
Administrative Officer (casual) (Current Employee) –  melbourne vic9 December 2013
Administer the operation of the reception area
Liaise with a diverse range of customers and staff from all levels
Provide administrative support to management, staff members of the section and students of the University
Cash Handling/EFTPOS payment
Reconciliation
Petty Cash
Stationery Stocktake
Reservations/Bookings
Design and present word documents and excel spreadsheets
Record Keeping/Archiving

Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
Loved working with young people
Various Administration duties (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs, VIC10 January 2016
The staff and students at Victoria University were wonderful. I enjoyed working there and it took a great deal of soul searching before I applied for a Voluntary Redundancy Package. After over 20 years I decided it was time for a change and some new challenges.
Pros
Staff and students
Cons
Uncertainty and needing new challenges
Work During its busiest
Marketing/ Event Management (Current Employee) –  Footscray2 May 2014
The busy periods at work are from September to December for the New Students Summer fittings and March to May for the Winter Fittings.
On these busy periods we would serve over 300 people
On these days every employee must:
* Serve each customer with excellent customer service skills
* Mulit-task
* Be prepared for any questions asked
* Be confident
* Be fully aware of any changes in school uniform

The most enjoyable part of the job is serving each customer efficiently and getting positive feedback from them
The hardest part of the job is the cleaning and folding of clothes after a long say at work
Pros
Flexible Hours for School
Cons
No Job Advancement
As below
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC17 January 2016
Victoria University gave me an opportunity to gain practical experience within a large institution, this experience is in valuable to a young person such as myself.
Pros
Fun working environment, enjoyed working with the students
Cons
resources not always available
Administration, Staff Management, Productive Team Environment
Admissions Assistant/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand11 October 2013
- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff
- Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines
- Great team environment with hard working co-workers
- None, enjoyed every aspect of the job
- Working with an enthusiastic team, supported by great management structure and helping students.
Pros
Working as a team, advancing to team leader, busy with tight deadlines
working closely with international student department to organize activities for international as well as focusing on the welfare of the students
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Melbourne1 December 2015
We need to work closely with the student staff and doing our best to solve the issue of international students.At the same, i need to lead a team of 30 people which makes sure i have a good leadership skill .
Productive and fun work enviroment
Invigilator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 November 2014
A typical day at the showgrounds where they have the exams, Is organizing the morning tea breaks, getting all the exams put out on the tables in 810 seats, each exam has a spot and row to be in, very important, supervising the running times of exams and if there is any deception going on. Once exams are complete, picking up each row in order and securing the exams for secure pick up by the lectures. Checking students id's, knowing that right student is sitting the right exam, without deception. Checking the students have the exact materials that is allowed for each individual exam. Each and every job is just as important as the next. Working together with your co-workers making sure it all runs smoothly.
Pros
Work party
Cons
On your feet all day, walking up and down the isles
a typical day of work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Pipitea campus, near railway station, wellinton22 June 2013
I am currently working in OCS cleaning company. I am working with 5 employees including team leader and one day two of the other workers were absent. My team leader was worried as no worker was send from kelburn campus. So we have to clean 12 floors of the building. We start our work at 7 to 11 and that day though it was hard but i finished the work at 10:30pm. I was appreciated by team leader and supervisor. I alone took rubish from 12 floors, vacumm 3 lecture theatres and clean full ground floor. I was happy in the end but i managed my time and work equally.
ever changing busy workplace with positive culture activities
Fees Officer (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Victoria15 April 2013
Had no reason to complain about Victoria University but recently with the cuts in university funding jobs are not as secure as they used to be. Unfortunately VU introduced the Student as Staff program (students are getting employed and replacing permanent staff), this is creating friction In the workplace.
Due to all these changes I decided to take up a VSP.
Pros
great superannuation scheme
Cons
university funding cuts causing insecurity in the workplace
No training provided
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Footscray17 November 2012
This organisation is poorly organised. I basically was given an office to work in with hardly any training. It was a work it out for yourself attitude. I have a few co-workers that were very helpful but overall not a happy work environment. The pay was excellent and that is why I stayed as long as I did. There isn't any structure there and it's confusing for the students and the administration staff. It is rated as one of the worse TAFEs in Australia.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no structure
Footscray Park Campus - Library Attendant (Current Employee) –  Footscray, Victoria11 April 2014
To work in the Library and Information industry, with the attitude and personal characteristics necessary to reach a high standard in meeting all my responsibilities to library clients and other library staff members, in a friendly and helpful manner.
productive and fun workplace
Lecturer and Quality Nominee (Current Employee) –  Rangoon5 July 2015
Class rooms are very good standard.
All teachers are lovely and helpful.
Free Internet service and E library for teachers.
Good productive teacher training are usually provided.
Budget for learner's project are partly provided.
Pros
Free internet Wifi
Cons
Not good Internet Wifi service
Fun place with good lecturers
student (Former Employee) –  Pipitea Campus30 June 2015
This university was a fun place to study. Most of the lecturers were great and the campus had great facilities conducive to learning. parking was a problem if you didn't live in the Wellington central business district.

4.4