The Victoria Airport Authority is looking for a enthusiastic Systems Administrator to join us for a four month term with a possible extension. The Systems Administrator is responsible for maintaining and implementing all information technology and telecommunication infrastructure for the VAA. The Systems Administrator is a union position reporting to the IT Supervisor, and will normally work a 37.5 hour work week during regular administration office hours and provide some after hour’s emergency support. Travel outside of Canada may be required.
Education & Experience
Current MCP & a minimum of four years professional technology support and/or software administrative experience, or MSCE/MCSA/Technology Certificate with three years relevant experience. BC Class 5 Driver’s licence and valid passport are required. Applicants with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge of maintenance and support for technology equipment and processes; including telecommunication devices, network topology, servers, workstations, network devices and their respective applications. Considerable knowledge of related hardware, software, network principles and business technology. Working knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written business correspondence, with internal and external customers.
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrates excellent judgment, and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
- Organization skills and ability to work under deadlines with conflicting demands.
- Competent computer skills and the ability to create and edit a wide variety of documents using various software packages.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and the ability to be a self starter and work independently.
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware & software issues and develop solutions for problems.
- Ability to research and obtain information.
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new technology.
- Willingness to carry a communication device on person for after-hours emergencies.
- Ability to stand on ladders up to 12’ and be comfortable lifting up to 50 lbs.
Must pass and maintain enhanced Airport security clearance.
- Manage, maintain and improve VAA servers, workstations and network devices:
DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, Active Directory and Group Policy administration;
Backup, local and offsite and related maintenance;
Application and software patch management;
Blackberry Enterprise Server or Exchange ActiveSync;
Network routing, VLAN, VPN and wireless;
VMWare and/or Hyper-V;
Utilizing Microsoft/manufacturer best practices;
Other related maintenance or support tasks.
- Provide software support, improvement and training in areas such as:
Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010 and SQL Server 2005/2008
MS Server 2008, 2010, Sharepoint and MS Windows;
Flight Information Display System (FIDS);
Microsoft Office suites 2007 and newer;
Antivirus/Anti Spam and related;
Common use self service kiosks;
Web based Software Tools (websites & related vortex applications);
Other VAA software and hardware.
- Support and troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
- Respond to help desk inquires.
- Configure, deploy, maintain and support technology devices.
- Run & troubleshoot data cables and devices (such as CAT5E, Fibre)
- Support, Internet connections, Digital phone, mobile and VoIP phone systems.
- Conduct research on related technical matters and support issues.
- Write and update technical reports including: operational procedures, IT procedures, diagrams, maps & how to documents.
- Maintain operational and technology inventory, both through physical counts and software control.
- Take personal responsibility for VAA’s Safety Management System, safety related issues and integrate safety into daily work activities.
- Plan and execute project work.
- Other related duties.
Interested applicants may submit their Cover Letter and Resume quoting the competition number 14-04 to the human resources email.
by 4:00 pm Tuesday July 22, 2014
Your application should clearly identify how you meet the stated education, experience and knowledge stated in the job posting.