VIA Rail Employee Review

Vai Rail : In touch with the ground, in touch with the people.
Senior service attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 January 2013
A typical day at work on board Via Rail is always different. Care to the passengers, ensure their well being and safety on board. Adapt to every passengers needs. Set up bedrooms for day time/night time; ensure cleanliness; serve meals; inform the passengers on any information I feel they might want to know (if the train is early or late, where they can have access to internet and/or reception, activities and souvenirs, meals and beverages on board) Transfer knowledge and interesting facts about my work, our country, the provinces, farming...ect.
I learnt how to adapt to all kinds of people. I learnt how to deal with difficult situations (personal situtations with passengers, language barriers, schedules and connections)
Management was very informative; approachable; always ready to help.
I worked with over 350 coworkers over a period of two years : again you have to adapt to not only the passengers, but the coworkers as well. Communication is key. Team work was crucial on the railway, I enjoy working together.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to go home at the end of the 18 hour work day. Having to sleep on the train 4 days in a row was difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with amazing co-workers; meeting my passengers that were from all around the globe and at the same time; travel accross Canada. It never ceased to fascinate me to travel from big cities, to the prairies and through the rockies as im working.
Pros
private accomodation/ food and beverages provided while on board via rail.
Cons

Other VIA Rail Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment
Carman (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2018
A miserable place to work. Management is dumb and lazy, and have no sense of loyalty to their workers; they will cut you down any chance they get. They lack in proper training techniques for new comers, only acknowledging you when you have made a mistake ( with no suggestions for improvment). The money is good, but not one single person enjoys working there.
Pros
Good money, lots of opportunity for overtime if wanted
Cons
Poor Management, mistreatment.
Via Rail -
ACHETEUR CONSTRUCTION (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC11 January 2018
My first experience in a governemental company.
Was really interesting to understand the strengths, weakness of this company which depends of the government and is managed with strict rules.