VIA Rail Employee Review

Vai Rail : In touch with the ground, in touch with the people.
Senior service attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 January 2013
A typical day at work on board Via Rail is always different. Care to the passengers, ensure their well being and safety on board. Adapt to every passengers needs. Set up bedrooms for day time/night time; ensure cleanliness; serve meals; inform the passengers on any information I feel they might want to know (if the train is early or late, where they can have access to internet and/or reception, activities and souvenirs, meals and beverages on board) Transfer knowledge and interesting facts about my work, our country, the provinces, farming...ect.
I learnt how to adapt to all kinds of people. I learnt how to deal with difficult situations (personal situtations with passengers, language barriers, schedules and connections)
Management was very informative; approachable; always ready to help.
I worked with over 350 coworkers over a period of two years : again you have to adapt to not only the passengers, but the coworkers as well. Communication is key. Team work was crucial on the railway, I enjoy working together.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to go home at the end of the 18 hour work day. Having to sleep on the train 4 days in a row was difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with amazing co-workers; meeting my passengers that were from all around the globe and at the same time; travel accross Canada. It never ceased to fascinate me to travel from big cities, to the prairies and through the rockies as im working.
Pros
private accomodation/ food and beverages provided while on board via rail.

Other VIA Rail Employee Reviews

great place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
great place, great benefits
great people very good company to work for
lots of perks, free uniform
get to travel train pass cell phone
great management team
Cons
no fixed schedule
Canada's shame
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2017
Apply at your peril.

No talking to others allowed - The most miserable place you will ever work. Promise. Not one happy employee here. Managers are ignorant bullys. Union turns a blind eye to most problems. Ok hourly wage but no medical or paid sick days. Rail pass (coach only) benefit you spend 2,000 hours earning is a joke. Terrible shifts. You'll spend years here before you get weekends off. Motivated? Advancement is only as far as the lowest manager/bully position and they only complain, never praise. Ever.
Pros
Ok hourly wage
Cons
Oppressive work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIA Rail. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9