VIA Rail

VIA Rail Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Vai Rail : In touch with the ground, in touch with the people.
Senior service attendant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: private accomodation/ food and beverages provided while on board via rail.
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work on board Via Rail is always different. Care to the passengers, ensure their well being and safety on board. Adapt to every passengers needs. Set up bedrooms for day time/night time; ensure cleanliness; serve meals; inform the passengers on any information I feel they might want to know (if the train is early or late, where they – more... can have access to internet and/or reception, activities and souvenirs, meals and beverages on board) Transfer knowledge and interesting facts about my work, our country, the provinces, farming...ect.
I learnt how to adapt to all kinds of people. I learnt how to deal with difficult situations (personal situtations with passengers, language barriers, schedules and connections)
Management was very informative; approachable; always ready to help.
I worked with over 350 coworkers over a period of two years : again you have to adapt to not only the passengers, but the coworkers as well. Communication is key. Team work was crucial on the railway, I enjoy working together.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to go home at the end of the 18 hour work day. Having to sleep on the train 4 days in a row was difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with amazing co-workers; meeting my passengers that were from all around the globe and at the same time; travel accross Canada. It never ceased to fascinate me to travel from big cities, to the prairies and through the rockies as im working. – less

About VIA Rail

Via Rail Canada is an independent crown corporation offering intercity passenger rail services in Canada. It is headquartered – Read more