Via Rail Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Team effort and big family !
Senior Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 9, 2015
Working on a passenger train may not be for everyone, but I absolutely loved it, although it was sometimes hard to be away from family/friends up to a week at a time. I've overcome a big fear of mine, and that is to be in charge of someone's safety. I have learnt many responsibilities and duties to ensure my passengers' safety and well-being while being on the train. The hardest part about this job was that it was 17 hours long, and no matter what mood you were in, you had to stay positive and put a smile on your face. I've learnt that not everyone can be pleased, not matter how much effort you put in. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the country from the west-coast, to the east-coast, and spending layovers with co-workers that were like family.
Pros
Free travelling across country
Cons
Away from home long periods of time
great experience in learning the world of the rail way
Telephone Sales Agent and Customer Relations Agent (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMay 11, 2015
explain and sell our product
make reservations in small and large scales
give arrivals and departures information
handle complaints or difficult situations
process ticket exchanges and refunds
Pros
speaking to different people on a daily basis
Cons
sitting all day long
I love my job, but have no chance to work with the recent cut backs.
Senior Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 23, 2014
I serve on the Ocean between Moncton and Halifax, I have an 18 + hour shift that includes serving customers from the in the dinning car, suggesting wine or beer pairings, helping passengers with their luggage, sleeping and seating arrangements. I patrol the train at night while the crew sleeps then report back to the dinning room for breakfast service.
Pros
meeting people visiting from around the world, and making sure that they have a great experience in canada.
Cons
cut backs and not much chance of work.
Rewarding customer service job with fantastic travel opportunities.
Senior Service Attendant On-Train Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2013
A mentally challenging job with 18 hour work days, and very specific transport Canada guidelines to adhere to, however very rewarding direct impact on guest experiences. Perfect opportunity to travel the country and learn a very strong sense of independence and responsibility.
Senior Service Attendant
Senior Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 18, 2013
Customer service & housekeeper...

I quit because I had motion sickness in the train...
A typical day at Via Rail!!
Assistant Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg,ManitobaDecember 2, 2012
A typical day at Via Rail would have to be expect the unexpected. All of our clients are very different and possess different needs. I've learned to be patient and calm in any situation. Always do what is expected from our peers. The employees at Via Rail are very professional and courteous to all clients and employees. The most difficult thing about the job is leaving my wife and children for an extended amount of days. Also, the hard part is putting in nearly 20 hour days. It is so rewarding to see the smile on our clients faces. It's at that time you know you've exceeded their expectations....
Pros
traveling, meeting people from all corners of the world, days off
Cons
being away from family/functions ie: birthdays christmas etc...
hard working fast paced environment
On-train Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 22, 2012
good work environement,able to work with many different people, and travelling is a plus.
Unionized Environment skill
Inventory Manager, East (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 5, 2012
Meeting of unionized & non-unioniuzed teams & adapting skillset
Environnement de travail dynamique et diversité culturelle
Project Coordinator Officer (Former Employee) –  MontrealFebruary 10, 2016
diversité culturelle
esprit d'équipe
activités de socialisation
ouverture d'esprit de la communauté
environnement de travail sécuritaire
bons avantages sociaux
travail efficient
Chauffeur de camions 15 tonnes à plateforme (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Bonne carrières avec de bons collèges
Début du quart de travail par un planning , un plan d'exécution ,L'exécution de travail et un débriefing a la fin.
Employé à titre contractuel
Rédacteur technique et ressource Lean (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 23, 2015
Il est pratiquement impossible de passer du statut de contractuel à celui d'employé permanent

4.2