Veterans Affairs Canada Employee Reviews

Loved watching the veterans sing and dance to the oldies!!!
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ste-Anne-de- BellevueSeptember 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my day was seeing the smiles of the patients when they were given there morning coffee along with there newspapers
Pros
We were very fortunate to be given the opportuntie to further our skills .
Cons
Transition from Federal to Provincial
Productive and enjoyable tasks
Income Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake ONApril 9, 2015
An incredible feeling of satisfaction serving war Veterans and their spouses and dependents.

Learned about VAC service and program eligibility and what WWII, Korean Conflict and recently released or still serving CF members went/go through.

Reviewed and adjudicated various geared-to-income applications.

Maintained client accounts. Processed seasonal and annual projects to verify continued eligibility.

Very busy workload (by alphabet).
Pros
Serving Veterans, job security
Great place to work representing Canada on an international scale.
Senior Student Guide (Former Employee) –  Canadian National Memorial - Vimy Ridge, FranceFebruary 23, 2015
As a Student Guide, you work as a tour guide, interpreting Canada's military history from the First World War. Teaching visitors from all over the world about Canada's exploits and achievements during that period. Working alongside other Canadian university students in a bilingual (english/french) environment is a lot of fun. The joy of teaching visitors something new about Canada is a remarkable experience. Time management and great customer service are essential in order to ensure the operation of the site runs smoothly.
Pros
great experience abroad, makes you proud to be canadian, leadership and teamwork skills learned, public speaking skills improved
Cons
far from home (living in france)
Enjoyed the employees
YMCA Internship Program (Contract Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 24, 2015
I enjoyed working at Veterans Affairs Canada. It was a great experience getting to know the veterans who came into the office. I learned a lot from their past and very much respected their loyalty and strength for what they did for our country. I enjoyed working with the employee who had it in their heart to serve and help their clients.
Pros
going for walks during your lunch
Cons
n/a
A workplace full of dedicated employees.
Financial Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEJune 7, 2015
The department was a good place to work and the people were dedicated to the departmental goal of helping the veterans. All the functions in which I was involved, from managing Veterans Trust Accounts to implementing systems, required interaction for many areas of the department and good communication was a requirement second to none. Management was for the most part responsive and supportive of the needs of those employees who in one way or another were there for the Veteran. I was lucky in the fact that my Co-workers, no matter where I worked were easy to work with and conscientious. The hardest part of the work was getting consensus from various groups as they working in different areas, from District Offices to Head Office had a vast array of what was their major focal point of their work and to whom they reported. At the end of the day you could always remember those that you were able to help or serve and those that you rubbed shoulders with to get a job done.
Pros
Work Home balance
Cons
Too much reorganization
providing support
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 29, 2013
 providing site support to multiple members of Management and staff on various tasks and requests.
 clerical duties; switch board, emailing, filing, MS Word, MS Excel, faxing, photo coping, research.
 Distributing and organizing related Veteran documentation to appropriate Management personnel and other staff members.
 providing front line information to the Veteran clients, by determining the nature of their inquiry (lost cheque, request for forms, etc) by screening, responding and/or referring them to the appropriate staff member.
 initiating and completing work independently.
 confidentiality was paramount within Veterans Affairs Canada organization.
Pros
amazing coworkers
fun and amazing
Administrative Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2014
government job
security
future advancement
making decisions -hardest part
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Flexible assignments, excellent work environment, Friendly
Patient Care Manager (Former Employee) –  severalOctober 28, 2012
Primary duty is to carry out patient assessments at their residences.
Pros
flexible
Veterans Affairs Canada was a great learning experience and I would love to work in a setting like this agian.
Client Service Team Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario CanadaDecember 7, 2012
A typical day at work would be helping Client service Agents with their daily assisting to the Elderly veterans and their widows in the Community. I would Help the Clients with their assistance benefits and programs and would ensure they were getting all they needed in care from Veterans Affairs. I Learned a lot about the Public sector and Government settings.

I also gained a lot of my office support experience from veterans Affairs and It was A great Opportunity to work with so many helpful and kind co- workers. The most enjoyable part about working at veterans Affairs was Knowing that I was able to help people in need and get a better understanding of what a social worker is and how things are done in this field.

My Managers and Mentors were all very motivated and Strong individuals who seem to really care about the people in the office as well as the war veterans who are in need.

Experience
Pros
very good manager to work with, mentoring and leading is one thing that was really great about working at this company.
good management and co-workers
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
Learned a lot about veterans who served for Canada and photocopying their documents.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Veterans Affairs Canada
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 12, 2013
I would photocopy medical records for people who applied for disability pension
Fast paced place to work
Junior Personnel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2012
Was fun to work at and had a great work environment, got laid off.
A challenging position
District Manager, Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 14, 2014
Typical day at work was first thing in the morning; checking for any voice mails, emails that needed direction/information. Work on incoming and outgoing of invoices which included data entering into a database system called Freebalance. Weekly conferences calls with management. Monthly calls with Finance.

I learned a lot during my time with the Veterans Affairs Canada This was a more challenging position where I was part of a Management Team.

A couple of co-workers were not easy to deal with, Worked through some various and interesting situations.

I would train and or discuss when necessary any new updates and procedures that were required with all staff. I kept track and approved all types of leave with Admin employee's leave entitlements on a database.

The most enjoyable part was working for a great Business Leader and the team of Managers.

The hardest part of the job was when we found out that our office was being closed. This meant dealing with various staff issues regarding how people were dealing with this process.

Dealing with Senior staff that did not seem to have a grasp on what was needed in our offices in Saskatchewan.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits
Cons
some long hours throughout the year
I would not recommend working for this department.
Client Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, British ColumbiaApril 9, 2014
The department is very politically driven. Government officials make drastic changes without consulting staff who work with the programs and policies being changed. Many times staff hear about changes to the programs and services from clients as political promises have been publicly announced without consultation. There have been so many recent changes which have not worked and have cost tax payers millions of dollars. Clients are not the priority with this department. Saving money is the primary departmental goal. This department has the highest usage of sick days in the Federal Government due to employee burnout. Managers do not lead their staff but cater to senior politicians. Staff genuinely care about their clients however, they do not have the time to provide exemplary client service. Governmental statisticians have set strict performance goals, which are closely monitored, which hinder employees from having the time to care for their ill, injured and elderly clients. Staff are so very overworked and unhappy that it is common to hear "toxic environment" being used frequently when describing the atmosphere in the district offices.
Pros
good salary and benefits.
Cons
not a positive work environment.
Records Management Clerk completed file accession re archive and/or storage
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 27, 2013
Contract position - special project

Under guidance of the Records Chief a typical day involved completing required file control for files to be archived or sent for specific storage, as well as, daily filing to client's files. Other than the specific project, if time allowed, I assisted co-workers with daily maintenance of files and assisted in the department's mail service.

I learned the life cyle of maintaining files/records in determining whether records should be sent for storage vs archiving following department requirements and policies/procedures. Previous accuracy in filing records was found to be an issue when completing the futher storage of these files.

As I previously worked with this department, Management relied on my accuracy and dedication of maintaining specified instructions for this project. Management was available for any queries.

Co-workers were good in this registry section as each individual had specified daily work guidelines and everyone was available to assist if problems occurred.

Hardest part of the job was the locating of misfiled material in clients' files. These had to be refiled no matter how old the file was.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of completion of each alotment grouping being forwarded to new storage or sent to archive centre. Also, the daily working with these employees/co-workers.

4.4