Vertex is a diversified company that provides solutions primarily to the growing Energy, resources, and many other sectors and projects throughout Western Canada, North Dakota and internationally. Vertex provides land, environmental and safety services, building systems, industrial insulation, scaffolding, well site accommodations and waste management services, to name just a few. Vertex’s service offering continues to grow to serve our client’s requirements.
With a track record of success, Vertex provides an environment where people thrive. Opportunities and career changes come from within our growing divisions and from one division to another. From recent graduates to professionals with many years of experience, Vertex’s entrepreneurial culture of success welcomes all. Vertex is a team environment where individuals as team members are encouraged to think and develop the best solutions for our customers. Vertex’s family values promote a culture of flexibility and encourage a good work/life balance.
This position’s primary function is to provide drafting support with the use of AUTOCAD to all facets of a variety of projects and provide construction project estimating ranging from small to large size projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for technical drawings to identify engineering specifications, evaluate and estimate materials, manpower, schedule and budget.
- Creating 3D models with the use of Autodesk Structural Detailer
- Preparing shop drawings, Structural detailing and associated material lists
- Create 2D and/or 3D models for estimating purposes
- Ensure that the drawings are reviewed for accuracy
- Estimates construction materials, technical specifications, employee hours, cost and any other job requirements for project
- Performs material “take–offs” and systematically estimate costs
- Assist in reviewing contracts and interprets cost impacts for the company
- Tracks and records post awards and rejection for continuous improvement
- Consult with all levels of Operations on a regular basis from conceptual, preliminary and final stages to ensure labour, equipment and material reflect current pricing, construction costs and timelines
- Ensure construction is consistent with the work projected estimate
Education and Experience
- Candidates with Tekla X-steel experience will be given extra consideration
- Post-secondary education from an accredited technical school, college or university
- Industry professional development and/or accreditation from an industry recognized association or institute is considered an asset
- Mechanical Engineer or certified engineering technologist (CET) formal training would also be considered an asset
- Drafting using AUTOCAD and estimating work experience in industrial insulation, scaffolding and pre-engineered building systems; projects in the oil and gas or other heavy industrial construction sector will be considered
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and documents
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, especially in Excel, Word, and Power Point
- Proficient in the use of applicable project scheduling and job costing software
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment and successfully meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
If you are looking for a rewarding career in an exciting and fast paced environment, then we are inviting you to forward your resume, in confidence.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.