Versatility. Expertise. With these two words, Vertex makes the promise that they not only have all of the resources required to satisfy a customer’s needs, but also the skill to do so with the best possible results. We encourage our employees to think and develop the best solutions for our customers. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team please apply.
Vertex is looking for Registered/Occupational Nurses that can work in a variety of locations/sites in all weather conditions.
Specific Responsibilities of Position:
Summary of Duties:
HEALTH PROMOTION AND PROTECTION – Development of strategies and programs to increase client awareness and knowledge specific to:
- Toxic and hazardous exposures and associated mitigation factors,
- Positive lifestyle interventions such as smoking cessation, exercise and nutrition
- Hereditary risk factors such as cancer, diabetes, cardiac disease and psychiatric illness
- Regulatory program promotion relating to hearing conservation, respiratory surveillance, biologic monitoring, vision screening
- General wellness promotion of self-responsibility at a worker and organizational level and general health issues and disease awareness
WORKFORCE HAZARD ASSESSMENT AND MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE (characterization) – Assessment, examination, monitoring and surveillance to identify health problems and determine the state of health of the worker/ workforce including but not limited to:
- Fitness to work assessments
- Fire, emergency and first responder medical assessments
- Periodic assessments
- Medical and health surveillance to monitor who may be at risk of exposure/or whom may have been exposed to toxic substances- i.e.- asbestos, lead, noise, toxic chemicals, radiation, ergonomic vibration, biologic hazards (hep B,C, Rabies, Dip, Hep A, Varicella, Influenza etc)
PRIMARY HEALTH CARE AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE/CARE – Primary assessment, treatment, follow up, referral for medical care and emergent care associated primarily with occupational and non- occupational injuries and illness which may be life threatening.
- Demonstrate ability to respond to emergency protocols associated with fire, chemical leaks, explosions, bomb threats, dangerous goods and facility evacuation
- On-site response to emergency calls causing physical/psychological harm to a client in accordance with industrial standards
- Nursing diagnosis and treatment
- Intervention, stabilization and triage
- Referral and counselling
- On-site response to emergency calls causing physical/psychological harm to a client
- Documentation and recordkeeping
DISABILITY MANAGEMENT- Provision of a complex individualized rehabilitation plan designed to coordinate the right service, at the right time, in the right amount in order to achieve a safe, timely and cost effective return to productivity
- Direct/counsel employees, line supervisors, managers, directors, deans, and human resources in a managed care approach to illness and injury
- Liaise with human resources to ensure proper benefit and position documentation exists and that follow-up with the supervisor is done as required
- Liaise with the supervisor and external health care parties to facilitate job modification, adaptation and accommodation as required
- Determine, direct and communicate with health care agencies, professionals and unions with respect to independent medical examinations to facilitate the duty to accommodate
EDUCATION, TRAINING, COUNSELLING AND TECHNICAL GUIDANCE – Provision of occupational and non-occupational health and safety training, counselling and technical advice to assist the site to manage and mitigate the impact of hazards, incidents and accidents and lost productivity.
- Educate at the individual and organizational level information that helps to clarity problems and lead to informed decision making at a micro and macro level.
- Develop dynamic external relationships to facilitate departmental and organizational development and best practice
- Develop dynamic inter-departmental relationships with all the HR and Health and Safety staff members
Education- Registered Nurse in good standing with the provincial or territorial nursing association and with the Canadian Nurses Association.
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing from a recognized University
- Certification from a recognized post-secondary diploma or certificate program such as Grant MacEwan College, Humber College, and BCIT is required.
- Standard First Aid, AED Health Care Provider, ITLS and ACLS
Experience- Preference will be given to those who meet the above educational requirements and who possess 5 to 7 years’ experience as a Nurse in the applicable industry sector and who have experience in emergency or acute care, or clinical environments.
Skill- Performs in accordance with the Practice Standards and Competencies established by the college and College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA). Must be proficient with the MS Office Suite of programs; be able to conduct internet based research
Superior team work and communication skills are required daily in written, verbal or electronic means with any of the client sand with staff. Oral and interviewing skills re required to discuss health matters with staff, students, and physicians to ensure understanding by all parties. Writing skills are required to correspond, investigate, complete medical and other regulatory reports and maintain medical records within legislative and professional practice standards. This communication may be in the form of telephone or personal conversations, written response or correspondence, oral presentations (including audio visual components).
Interested candidates are invited to a forward a resume, in confidence.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Indeed - 21 months ago