National Construction Safety Officer (NSCO)
Vertex Professional Services Ltd. is currently looking for an experienced and energetic National Construction Safety Officer to join the team. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about working in remote areas.
- Recommend appropriate procedures and equipment for safety and compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Promote safe work practices and injury/fatality prevention activities.
- Follow all rules, policies and procedures as per the company health and safety manual and all other applicable legislation.
- Address all safety concerns in a timely manner.
- Provide visible leadership and commitment to health and safety.
- Encourage managers and employees to participate in occupational health and safety programs.
- Prepare and chair weekly and monthly safety meetings.
- Maintain all files. Documentation received must be on the standard company forms, archive information and documentation as required.
- Lead by example and teach workers how to perform the tasks safely and efficiently.
- Work with others on emergency planning.
- Conduct and/or participate in accident investigations and provide input on how to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
- Be familiar and comply with all company guidelines.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained in the appropriate areas.
- Perform daily walk around for onsite activities, observe compliance with company policies and regulations and assist with improvements in discrepancies.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety laws and regulations.
- Complete and submit daily reports as required.
- Maintain the MSDS binder and disperse the updates to the sites as required.
- Assist with the monthly meetings and statistics reports.
- Prepare project safety binders for allotted projects (utilizing the prepared contents list).
Complete subcontractor orientations and enter information into the tracking system.
Check certifications of subcontractors before releasing for work on site.
Ensure proper documentation is in place and submitted prior to releasing to site.
- Maintain clear communication with the direct supervisor/operations manager.
- Participate in safety initiatives, carry out fire drills and emergency drills as requested
- New Worker Orientations:
Complete full orientations (prepare a step-by-step process to be followed).
Ensure orientations are booked through EH&S Director (HR Advisor to also be informed).
Single person orientations must be approved by the President.
Ensure all new hires files are complete and up-to-date.
Enhance the orientation presentation as needed.
Tracking and files to be kept current.
Operator competency certificates to be completed and tracking to be kept current.
- Complete other training as required.
- Ensure most current version of tracking forms, orientation processes/PowerPoint and completed forms/processes are available to each operations representative. Have clear communications with each other
- Able to build relationships with site workers/supervision, subcontractors and clients.
- Maintain a positive attitude towards the company and the job to maintain a sound working environment.
- Capable of working with limited supervision and able to exercise initiative and sound judgment.
- Able to remain open-minded and objective.
- Have sound organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess leadership, team building, and human resource management skills including mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to quantify and interpret needs of major construction projects into individual components.
- Previous experience in civil works construction.
- Able to drive to and remain at project jobsites as required.
- Willing and able to remain current on legislation and information relative to the position and the work environment.
- Have intermediate skills with Windows and MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Able to articulate complex ideas verbally and in written form.
Education and Experience:
- Must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience
- Current (or in progress) National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO), OH&S or CRSP designation.
- Current (or in progress) certificate in Leadership for Safety Excellence (recognized by ACSA).
- Additional safety related training as required including but not limited to:
- H2S Alive (by Enform),
- Standard First Aid with A or C CPR,
- Ground Disturbance, Level 2
The ideal candidate would report to our head office in Sherwood Park, AB however will be on job sites throughout western Alberta.
Interested candidates are invited to a forward a resume, in confidence.
Vertex would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.