Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

great
Procurement and Strategic Sourcing CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2016
Great company culture, great people, everyday is a new day very dynamic and awesome. I like the working environment and people who are always willing you help out whenever.
encouraging atmosphere
Sr.Informatica Developer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 9, 2016
Very innovative and encouraging group to work with.
Learned alot in terms of bringing productivity.
Mentored junior level canditates on ETL technical skills.
Fast paced, upbeat environment
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2016
Vertex pharmaceuticals has a very welcoming and warm environment. A typical day for me involves many interactions with clients and customers, dealing with on-your-toes situations, working on promotions for our service, organizing BEOs, managing my catering team and making sure our operation runs smoothly and effectively. I have learned many management and communications skills, organizational tactics, and overall business processes and etiquette. My managers are great teachers who set examples for the rest of our staff to follow. A lot of what I have learned is because of their endless efforts to teach me something new every day. Other than my managers, the rest of my co-workers help to create a fun yet productive environment.

Usually, the hardest part of my day isn't a single task, but working at a minimum, 11 hour days. This can be tiresome, at times, although necessary. On the contrary, the best part of my job is getting to build relations with our clients on a daily basis.
Great Place
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2016
Great Benefits
Innovative company
Smart people
Nice place
I have learned a lot working at this place.
Good coworkers
Good people
productive and relaxing scenory
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2016
excellent company to work for, great atmosphere, locality is key. there is a lot of immature people and who have to be in a group to be happy..
Pros
great relax enviroment
Cons
attitudes and felt like high school
Vertex
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I was on a temp to hire assignment there that did not work out. Vertex treated their temps just as they treated their full time employees, which was really great. A lot of great perks were offered (fitness center being one of them) that I took advantage of even though I was a temp worker. I was very interested in becomming a full time employee.
Pros
Great to their employees
Cons
Hard to get your foot in the door
Great place to work!
Patent Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 29, 2015
Vertex had two drugs approved during my 7 years there and the stock went from $22 when I started to $143 at one point in 2015. Vertex has fantastic benefits and I met and worked with a lot of wonderful people.
Vertex Pharma
Commercial Contracts Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2015
Working at Vertex has been a great experience! The people are all there for the same reason, to help patients with cystic fibrosis and they do every day! I've learned so much, not only from my managers but from my co-workers. Everyone is helpful should you ask questions about what they do or how your position fits into the bigger scheme of the company.
Pros
great benefits, flexible work hours depending on your department
Good place if you are on the permanent staff.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Worked as a contract staff and it was difficult to mingle with the full time staff. Offices moved to Boston from Cambridge making the commute harder.
n/a
Administrative Associate III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 29, 2014
Vertex is a great company to work for. A fast pace environment The atmospher is great
very productive environment
User Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 30, 2014
This was a great place to work. Unfortunately I was finished with my contract here.
Pros
lots of technologies to work with
Cons
i was a contractor who was wrapping up
Depends on the department but the Sourcing management is horrible
Procurement and Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 17, 2014
I would not recommend working for Vertex, have been with the organization for over two years and just gets worse, not better- Management is all talk. Do NOT recommend working within the procurement and sourcing group.
Pros
nice cafeteria...........
Cons
very poor management.
busy
Research Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 17, 2014
very busy in and out procedure rooms supporting researchers. I have learned that communication, pay close attention to instructions giving is very important. I worked with very open minded individuals where we shared and trained each other on different procedures and techniques to continue with good training. the hardest part is when researchers and scientist schedules last minute things. I get to have close communications with my co-workers, work closely and learn from each other.
Pros
cafeteria in the builduing gym and so on
Cons
short breaks
Large Company worldwide, room for advancement,
Corporate Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 26, 2014
Atmosphere was very good, co workers very well liked as well as Management. Amex is a very good company long term to work for.
poorly managed company with serious issues
project manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 13, 2014
Company makes business decisions suddenly, without regard for long-term outlook or their reputation. They pay well but don't promote appropriately. People are given new titles that don't accurately reflect their job duties, essentially demoting them with no consideration how this will affect their resumes. They pay lip service to "job/life balance" but treat people as disposable. Not a happy place to work.
Pros
beautiful new building
Cons
company cares about bottom line, not people
professional culture
Therapeutic Specialist-HCV Division (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJanuary 16, 2014
colleagues appreciated hard-working contributers. Vertex rewarded team for efforts, while keeping patients needs top of mind. was well respected by healthcare providers, worked with highly competent colleagues
Unstable, overly micromanaged workplace
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is a very unstable company, where there is some sort of reorganization several times a year. You may not be performing the work that you were hired to do. They boast about a flexible work schedule; however, they do not practice this. Everything is in favor of upper management (training, time off, work from home, etc.). Overall Vertex does not practice what they preach.
great place to work but recent shakeups leaves future uncertain
Administrative Associate III (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 13, 2013
job is great but constant layoffs, firings and fear of job security.
no comment
Sr. Scientist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 2, 2013
no comment

I have both exciting and disappoint experience in Vertex. It was sad to see so many respected co-workers and managers left one by one, and felt nothing when I was drove off from my positions.

At lest now, I don't want to think of anything about Vertex now.
Pros
exellent benefit and co-workers
Cons
tough and poor managment
Terrible Company to work for if you're not a scientist
Finance (Former Employee) –  BostonNovember 21, 2013
Management is poorly trained and unapproachable, zero work life balance, high pressure and unrealistic expectations, corporate culture is authoritarian, cold, and heartless and to top it off they're laying off 7% of their workforce IE 350 people in Boston in 2013. Do your homework before deciding to work here.
Pros
higher salary and tons of vacation time (not that you'll have time to use it)
Cons
low retention, inexperienced management, no work life balance, cold corporate culture