Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Vertex
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: Great to their employees
Cons: Hard to get your foot in the door
I was on a temp to hire assignment there that did not work out. Vertex treated their temps just as they treated their full time employees, which was really great. A lot of great perks were offered (fitness center being one of them) that I took advantage of even though I was a temp worker. I was very interested in becomming a full time employee.
Great place to work!
Patent Secretary (Former Employee), Cambridge, MADecember 29, 2015
Vertex had two drugs approved during my 7 years there and the stock went from $22 when I started to $143 at one point in 2015. Vertex has fantastic benefits and I met and worked with a lot of wonderful people.
Vertex Pharma
Commercial Contracts Paralegal (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits, flexible work hours depending on your department
Working at Vertex has been a great experience! The people are all there for the same reason, to help patients with cystic fibrosis and they do every day! I've learned so much, not only from my managers but from my co-workers. Everyone is helpful should you ask questions about what they do or how your position fits into the bigger scheme of the company.
Good place if you are on the permanent staff.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Worked as a contract staff and it was difficult to mingle with the full time staff. Offices moved to Boston from Cambridge making the commute harder.
n/a
Administrative Associate III (Current Employee), Boston, MASeptember 29, 2014
Vertex is a great company to work for. A fast pace environment The atmospher is great
very productive environment
User Support Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 30, 2014
Pros: lots of technologies to work with
Cons: i was a contractor who was wrapping up
This was a great place to work. Unfortunately I was finished with my contract here.
Depends on the department but the Sourcing management is horrible
Procurement and Sourcing (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 17, 2014
Pros: nice cafeteria...........
Cons: very poor management.
I would not recommend working for Vertex, have been with the organization for over two years and just gets worse, not better- Management is all talk. Do NOT recommend working within the procurement and sourcing group.
busy
Research Support Technician (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 17, 2014
Pros: cafeteria in the builduing gym and so on
Cons: short breaks
very busy in and out procedure rooms supporting researchers. I have learned that communication, pay close attention to instructions giving is very important. I worked with very open minded individuals where we shared and trained each other on different procedures and techniques to continue with good training. the hardest part is when researchers and scientist schedules last minute things. I get to have close communications with my co-workers, work closely and learn from each other.
Large Company worldwide, room for advancement,
Corporate Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 26, 2014
Atmosphere was very good, co workers very well liked as well as Management. Amex is a very good company long term to work for.
poorly managed company with serious issues
project manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: beautiful new building
Cons: company cares about bottom line, not people
Company makes business decisions suddenly, without regard for long-term outlook or their reputation. They pay well but don't promote appropriately. People are given new titles that don't accurately reflect their job duties, essentially demoting them with no consideration how this will affect their resumes. They pay lip service to "job/life balance" but treat people as disposable. Not a happy place to work.
professional culture
Therapeutic Specialist-HCV Division (Current Employee), ChicagoJanuary 16, 2014
colleagues appreciated hard-working contributers. Vertex rewarded team for efforts, while keeping patients needs top of mind. was well respected by healthcare providers, worked with highly competent colleagues
Unstable, overly micromanaged workplace
Specialist (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is a very unstable company, where there is some sort of reorganization several times a year. You may not be performing the work that you were hired to do. They boast about a flexible work schedule; however, they do not practice this. Everything is in favor of upper management (training, time off, work from home, etc.). Overall Vertex does not practice what they preach.
great place to work but recent shakeups leaves future uncertain
Administrative Associate III (Current Employee), Cambridge, MADecember 13, 2013
job is great but constant layoffs, firings and fear of job security.
no comment
Sr. Scientist (Former Employee), Cambridge, MADecember 2, 2013
Pros: exellent benefit and co-workers
Cons: tough and poor managment
no comment

I have both exciting and disappoint experience in Vertex. It was sad to see so many respected co-workers and managers left one by one, and felt nothing when I was drove off from my positions.

At lest now, I don't want to think of anything about Vertex now.
Terrible Company to work for if you're not a scientist
Finance (Former Employee), BostonNovember 21, 2013
Pros: higher salary and tons of vacation time (not that you'll have time to use it)
Cons: low retention, inexperienced management, no work life balance, cold corporate culture
Management is poorly trained and unapproachable, zero work life balance, high pressure and unrealistic expectations, corporate culture is authoritarian, cold, and heartless and to top it off they're laying off 7% of their workforce IE 350 people in Boston in 2013. Do your homework before deciding to work here.
Great company
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee), TexasNovember 19, 2013
Great company, great culture,great benefits.
good management
great co-workers
challenging
Productive and fun work environment. Corporate Values - WE WINS, FEARLESS PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE, INNOVATION is OUR BLOODLINE.
Executive Administrative Professional (Former Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 14, 2013
Pros: innovatative work enviroment, enjoyed building relationships with all level skill disclipines.
Cons: unable to utilize generous vacation benefits.
I enjoyed my nearly seven years of employment with the Vertex Family!
Great work environment with outstanding people
HCV Therapeutic Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2013
Vertex was an outstanding company to work for with very high level employees that truly made a difference in patients lives each and every day. Many patients had their hepatitis C cured because of all of the hard work from the employees of Vertex. To know I had a part of that makes me very proud.
Great company - too bad they had to lay us all off!
Therapeutic Specialist, Oklahoma City Territory (Former Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 13, 2013
Small pharma with great people, wonderful benefits, fun environment and personable upper management. Would have worked for them forever if they hadn't let us all go.
Vertex is a great employer
Treatment Educator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 9, 2013
Pros: patient education is my passion and i get the pleasure meeting with alot of patients
Cons: large territory
As an educator with a large territory each day is different. An example of one of my days might include a morning patient education class at one office followed by a lunch in-service at a second office, a meeting with a new healthcare provider and ending with a speaker program in the evening. I have learned alot about strategic planning and territory management. The management at Vertex is the best I have ever experienced.The Treatment Educator team is comprised of a extremely talented group of professionals who are over achievers and self driven. The most difficult part of the job was getting comfortable traveling and navigating new cities. The professional development and learning process has been an enjoyable part of this job. The Vertex family makes this an awesome place to work.
Headquarters