Veolia Water Employee Reviews

Boring and long days (12s)
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAFebruary 16, 2016
It takes 3 months to accumulate 1 sick day. Accumulating vacation only takes 2 months to get 1 day. Terrible. There is no training curriculum at all. Very poor leadership from management; a supervisor continues to drive away operators but the supervisor stays employed, get the hint Veolia. I'm working on getting a new job and wouldn't recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
work half the year
Cons
vacation, sick time, poor leadership from management
A great team working together for a common cause
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NSWSeptember 18, 2015
My role here occurred during the construction, commissioning and first 6 months of operation of a new plant. As a result everyone was on new ground, and that lead to a great atmosphere of mutual learning from each other. The boss often shouted lunch, or we had a BBQ on site.

While my role was a stable 8-4, most of the team took turns at being on call, hence I couldn't give 5 stars for Work/Life Balance, but this is the nature of a plant that can't be easily shut down and restarted. It was better, I'm sure, than most in that Veolia arranged remote monitoring so the staff could monitor the plant from home, as long as they lived close enough to come in if things went wrong.

Pay was reasonable for me as a contractor (through a labour hire company), but the permanent staff were paid extremely well.

The poor job security was based not only on my being on a fixed term contract (even though it was extended repeatedly) but because there were widespread layoffs throughout the organisation when the drought broke and many plants went from an operational phase to a non-operational, minimal maintenance phase.
Pros
Great team to work with, new facilities including indoor and outdoor eating areas and a BBQ
Cons
Work is very reliant on the climate - once the drought breaks staff demand drops significantly.
great company
Operator III (Former Employee) –  Chalmette, LAJanuary 1, 2016
I enjoyed all 12 years with the company. they seem to love the service they provide to there customer. In my 12 years i was never denied a vacation or time off,my supervisor was one of the best he really worked with each employee.
Pros
job security and pay
Cons
healthcare
Flexible work environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARApril 3, 2016
My job consisted of working 2-3 hours a week testing the heating and cooling systems for Harding University. Although the hours were low, my supervisors were very helpful and left me to do my job. The workplace was small but private which let me focus on my work.
Pros
Set my own work schedule
Cons
Low hours
Was a lousy place to work management weak
Industrial Wastewater Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 3, 2015
Management could cuss at you tell you were an A@@ hole management encouraged employees to screw over fellow employees human resources would not help they would just tell you to go back to your supervisor they were located in different state
was a great place to work
sub-contractor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, Aylesbury and AberdeenJanuary 21, 2016
Before being made redundent was a fantastic place to work,
Varied jobs and allowed to progress within the company. 5 star
plant operator and process K O H
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILMay 12, 2015
the plant is geared for 2 shifts and the management was NOT able to keep employees.
the work load and responsibility is too great for 1 employee
Pros
the company has great benefits
Cons
mandated overtime of 12 hour days and many 6 day work weeks
Veolia Water is a solid firm to work with.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Virgin IslandsNovember 18, 2015
Veolia Water is a great firm that I worked with on a Contract basis building Waste Water Treatment Plants in St. Thomas and St Croix.

They treat everyone fairly and with respect.
Pros
Professional
Cons
Making Baby steps in the right direction as the rest of the world Leaps!
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 20, 2012
Veolia Water North America is a late adopter of technology and the company culture of "do more with less" leads it to roll out poorly created, redundant and mis-applied management and accounting tools.

Veolia HR is improving processes and employee access to benefits information. HR focus is defensive rather than in talent acquisition. There is an internal shuffling or recycling of employees that could be viewed as promoting from within, but is truely the result of not being able to attract the talent to fill positions.

Veolia provides short term value to customers typically through reduced staff size. The reduced staff combined with lack of talent acquisition results in less than advertised service. So where is the long term value? The promoted benefit of service companies such as Veolia is the overhead technical resources and internal networking, but this is the social networking age and most agencies are networked.

Mangement has vastly improved communications within the organization and has embarked on a company branding campaigne. (25th largest employer in the world and no one has heard of them).
Pros
competitive salary and benefits, plenty of opportunity to work, and move within the organization.
Cons
low work life balance. difficult to take vacation.
Not a terrible place to be
Operator (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 14, 2012
Job pays OK but still less than most operator positions. Benefits are great. Pays for prescription safety glasses and your boots. Work is monotonous and varies from plant to plant. Complexity of the plant usually means more pay.

Management blows so much smoke you would swear they were on fire. Some project managers are laid back, some are Hitlers brother. Higher ups all claim safety is #1 but we work alone most times. more and more work seems to be added on daily and my pay stays the same.

Projects are typically underbid and dont allow for much spending.

Training can be given but it is like getting blood from a stone. You are trained OJT by other operators that either have just gotten lucky or have guessed and checked enough to finally get it right.
Pros
benefits, if you get a good manager and a decent plant you can be a happy operator
Cons
management, no good training, hr can fire you at any time and safety is a joke
Temp contractor sweatshop
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Moon Twp, PaAugust 15, 2012
Veolia in Moon Twp, Pa. Filled with egotistical managers. Very poor preperation and outright harrassment on the jobsites. You are expected to pay all of your own travel expenses and maybe in a few weeks you may get reimbursed. I don't remember any company lending me money but they seem to think it is ok to use your money.
HR is useless, they only enforce their handbook when it benefits them. They only have one permanent programmer and the rest are at the mercy of the soveriegn leader of engineering.
Good luck if you go there, they could care less about your family life or if they are destroying your budget with expenses.
I rate them below poor! I have been asked to write sysops without any process requirements. Arguements on the jobsite and managers signing off on processes only to be changed by someone else leads to overuns and extended travel.
Pros
the office is clean
Cons
travel is ridiculus, management is dysfuctional, prepare to be humiliated and harrassed!

Comment – April 17, 2013

I had the same experience with this company company, filled with self opinionated management who could not make a decision without writing an e-mail about it just to be sure the world knew You where expected to fork out for your expenses in the hope that you would get them back and when you raised the issue they really didn't get the point. On top of this there where the french who had no respect for other than co french and treated others with contempt and went out of their way to stab you in the back if they didn't agree with you it was their way or the highway. Generally a bad lot and not worth the job application.

keeping hard working and responsible worker under Stress,bully and Duress
Supervisor-Operator at Ultraviolet Plants (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCTFebruary 16, 2014
discrimination all of capable and competent Workers by incompetent and noncapable management and workers,bio hazard and risk to public health by wrong process managing,lazy workers are back stabbing each other and fighting for overtimes,not for life environment like me...nobody feels responsible!!I was fired because of this "sewage Klan"no fancy to see me to passing all of the samples during last 4years!!!ENVY?????
Very Productive and friendly work environment
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMay 4, 2014
Veolia Water was a very good place to work. It kept me very productive and it was very laid back work, very enjoyable. Co-workers and upper management were very professional and friendly. Sometimes the tasks were challenging, but that is always something to look forward to in this career field. I learned better techniques and welding knowledge from this company and it was a pleasure.
Extremely Productive Environment-
Water Quality Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 25, 2015
Great place to learn new skills and apply them. Great manager staff that will help you succeed in becoming a more innovative thinker. increase skill sets. Freedom to learn new methods and get involved.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no bonus
It is a sewage plant
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 27, 2014
The people were good to work with, but I didn't like New Orleans. A typical work day was troubleshooting the SCADA system for problems with communication between devices and the control room.
Management was like any other place, It had good & bad points. Hardest part of the job was dealing with human waste. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
benefits
Cons
the smell
Productive and well organized work place
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jeddah, KSAAugust 27, 2015
Productive and well organized work place
cooperative multicultural organization,
open chance to communicate with broad band of clients and expertise
Enjoyable Atmosphere & Great Colleagues
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Modderfontein, GPMay 13, 2014
I usually start my at about 6:30.
First things first, read and attend to all e-mails that need immediate attention.
Start the updating of registers
Send out transmittals (When needed)
Make sure that all documents that leave the company via document control have the proper format, headings, correct grammar and spelling.
Start the hand over for the various projects (When needed)
I have a foreign manager, but have found that it is enjoyable to work for him. My co-workers all have a sense of humour, but when we work we work hard.
I think the hardest part of my work is to get people to understand that to keep track of our documentation it has to come through document control.
The most enjoyable part of my work is getting something approved or getting a great review on something that I have worked hard on.
Its big Organisation
Senior Shift Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hong KongApril 21, 2015
A big operation and Maintenance Team , I Utilize my Knowledge and experience and develope the organisation Ultimately my career also improved.
Good
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Paris, A8October 10, 2012
The pay is not great at all, and the benefits only become available if you start working 30+ hours a week. The work environment is great, because you get to work with great people. And as for job security, it is high and is based on how often you call in (they use a point system).
Implementation of safety standars