Ventana Construction Corporation is a general contractor and construction manager that has been operating in British Columbia since 1987. We construct a wide variety of projects, including office buildings, multi-residential, industrial buildings, automotive dealerships, retail facilities, boutique hotels, and more.
We work hard to establish strong relationships with our clients, architects, consultants, sub-trades and we are known for providing the highest level of service possible to each of our clients from the initial consultation all the way through to occupancy. We are not only in the business of construction but also the business of providing superior customer service to all of our clients.
We are looking for Health & Safety Coordinator to join our growing team. In this position you will report to the General Superintendent and be responsible for implementing and improving Ventana’s safety program and as well as maintaining Ventana’s warehouse inventory program by implementing and maintaining the most cost effective methods of providing tools, safety materials and building materials to all of Ventana’s project sites.
We offer a fun, sociable, people-focused culture. Our team is a very important part of our business and we value work-life balance.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide ongoing advice to project teams regarding safety-related actions required to ensure an acceptable level of safety on the job site is maintained based on OH&S/OSHA Acts and Regulations.
- Ensure new employees are provided with and made familiar with Ventana’s health and safety program.
- Oversee project first aid and safety set up.
- Coordinate and ensure completion of quarterly site inspections, annual internal safety audits and arrange for external audits as required to maintain COR certification with WorkSafeBC.
- Maintain certification & training records: first aid & CSO certification, fall protection training, WHMIS education, traffic control person certification, hearing tests, power actuated tools and forklift training. Assess training needs as required.
- Organize, chair and minute the corporate Joint Health & Safety Committee meetings.
- Create, maintain and update Ventana’s OH&S Manual regularly and conduct an annual review of the Occupational Health & Safety Program.
- Liaise with WorksafeBC, WCATT on a variety of matters.
- Responsible for Claims Management through WorkSafeBC and ensure that Return to Work Programs are in place and followed.
- Support HR during the recruitment and selection process for Safety personnel.
- Oversee warehouse inventory ie; purchase in bulk where high volume consumables could provide cost saving to Ventana, purchase PPE for new Ventana employees, working with Total Control Tracking System to track equipment location, arrange equipment maintenance, research equipment purchases to make a sound decisions on the practicality of purchasing vs. renting etc.
Required skills and qualifications:
- CSO, NCSO or CRSP (or working towards) with a minimum of 5 years experience working in a safety role.
- Strong knowledge of WorksafeBC regulations.
- Construction knowledge and experience working on construction projects.
- Completion of Post-secondary education with a focus on Occupational Health & Safety would be considered an asset.
- Experience in a similar role or supervisory role would be considered an asset.
- Very good organization skills and is able to juggle many tasks.
- Proven ability to anticipate and recognize hazardous situations and provide a prompt response.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to coordinate and cooperate with onsite workers, often in stressful situations with deadlines. Proven ability to resolve conflicts in a calm and professional manner.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (word, excel etc.).
- Standard First Aid/Level 1.
- Valid BC Driver’s license and good driving record.
This position will hold an office in our warehouse located in Surrey and will travel between our warehouse, head office in Burnaby and our various projects spread across the lower mainland.
If enjoy working in a busy environment, you take pride in your work, and are not afraid of a challenge then we're interested in hearing from you.
Ventana offer a competitive salary, benefits, RRSP, bonus opportunities and company vehicle.
TO APPLY: Please reply to this posting and send us your cover letter, resume and salary expectations.
For more details about Ventana, who we are, the types of projects we build, please visit our website www.ventanaconstruction.com.
Due to the volume of applicants, please note that we do not respond to telephone enquires in response to job enquires.