Vecova Employee Reviews

Difficult job to carry, but very rewarding
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2017
A typical day at work was no less than 11 hours of laborious work in a dark, dirty, smelly warehouse. However the job did provide the opportunities to work partially outdoors and regularly drive to various locations in the city. Management existed, but was not overbearing or intrusive, I quite enjoyed my relationship with the manager. The culture is one based around inclusiveness and all-around teamwork. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with equipment failures and a lack of re-investment into the depot, it was difficult to see the staff struggle with the current "technology" and working conditions on a day-to-day basis while the parent company took all of the revenue for their own purposes. The most enjoyable part of my job, that I still miss to this day, was interacting and socializing with the staff members. They are truly the only reason why I consider returning on a voluntary basis.
Pros
3-day weekend every week
Cons
dirty, smelly bottle depot
Fantastic place to work
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2017
The best organization I've ever worked for! Lots of development opportunities, the work is great, the clients are a joy and managers are very supportive and helpful.
Pros
the culture and environment
Vecova is profit focused and not people focused
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
Profits over people motivated agency, they accept clients who receive more funding but are dangerous to both themselves and others but don't invest monies into extra staff to deal with clients behaviours, usually 1-1 ratio when for safety reasons it should be 2/1 or even 3/1
Management, counsellors and medical professionals are clueless. One of the most poorly run agency in Calgary.
I wouldn't put my loved one in their care!
Pros
Most co-workers and clients
Cons
Dangerous environment and little or no concern for either staff or client safety
Very unhealthy work environment (group home)
Ultra Complex Needs / Group Home (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
When I started at this company, I felt like I am home. Very great management support, overall stuff amazing. Clients so much fun. Loved to go to work. Than was in group home, where all was good until 2-3 people were hired and work become a high school drama. It wasn't about clients anymore, team work, it was all about telly tale. telling on each other. Mean behavior. Management support was poor. Many good staff left due to unhealthily environment.
I really loved and enjoyed my job and the rest of the coworkers were amazing to work with. Hardest part was to step up to those 2-3 people who were bullies but nothing was done or maybe was done something later on.
The company as Vecova is amazing. Great leaders there, amazing staff and support, but when you get to group homes, that is totally a different story. Everything depends on who clicks in and who is not.
Pros
amazing clients, supportive coworkers
Cons
favoritism from supervisors toward individual staffs, communication not good
dangerous work environment
employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2015
pay was not good and management was poorly skilled, bottle depot is disgustingly under payed and over worked. thank god for good supervisors there, i would of never returned...good supervisors were fired and replaced with an idiot.
Pros
good pay
Cons
16hr days and impossible deadlines
Normal experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2014
This agency is like most other agencies in Calgary. There is not a lot of advancement opportunities due to long term employees.
Helping people who really need your help
Supportive Roommate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2014
Very satisfying and especially fullfilling.
I really learned my patience level.
My co-workers were so supportive and helpful.
The hardest part was probably communication sometimes.
The most enjoyable part is feeling that you can make a positive difference in an individual's life.
Pros
I got to work at home
Cons
I did not get a lot of free time when my friends and family were available.
Well established organization with strong ethics and great training.
Community Resource Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2013
A typical day consists of; supporting adults with developmental disabilities in their daily living, activities and teaching them life skills. Staff teach and model values to their clients each and every day. I learn to be patient and non-judgemental towards those less fortune than myself. The training is impeccable with high standards, which is so valued and appreciated. I can approach and talk to my management about any issues I may have. Everyone works together as a team with the same goals in mind for each individual client. My co-workers are easy to work with and also share the same high standards as myself. The hardest part of my job is seeing my clients struggle with things like communication and aging mobility issues. My clients are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
the clients, co-workers, training, hours and location
Cons
watching clients age, government cutbacks, minimal advancement opportunities, wage