Spectrum Signal Processing by Vecima designs and manufactures world class software defined radio (SDR) subsystems based on heterogeneous processing technologies including Field Programmable Gate Arrays, Digital Signal Processors, General Purpose Processors, connected by high-capacity inter-processor communications fabrics. These processing elements are user programmable in Spectrum’s products. These systems are deployed in a variety of applications such as satellite earth stations, tactical communications radios, signal intelligence receivers and Radar/Sonar.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the FPGA Design Engineer is responsible for overseeing all FPGA design aspects of a project, ensuring that the project is designed accurately, professionally and efficiently from conceptual stage to completion, including ensuring that engineering documentation is completed thoroughly to facilitate support and maintenance of the design.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and test Spectrum FPGA projects
- Adhere to prescribed design and product development processes, including configuration control and version management of the FPGA products and the associated artifacts
- Specify the product architecture from the FPGA perspective (may be in conjunction with System Engineers or other technical authority)
- Verify the design and implementation of the FPGA project, including the generation of test plans, test reports and test software as required
- Participate in design review of other engineers’ work as required
- Participate in discussions with customers as required in support of Spectrum’s sales personnel, including customer bids and proposals
- Responsible for unit testing of designs
- Participate in system-level testing of designs
- Work with the Technical Services group to support customers developing their own applications in User-programmable FPGAs
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- 4 + years FPGA hands-on experience
- Experience with Xilinx FPGA simulation, synthesis, development tools and hardware architectures
- Knowledge of hardware design flow
- Experience with large, fast FPGAs, such as Xilinx Virtex 5 or newer
- Experience with high-speed off-chip interfaces such as DDR2/3 SDRAM, ADCs/DAC
- Experience with PCI Express (PCIe) interfaces
- Experience interfacing with software for control of FPGA processing
- Knowledge of ADC, DAC, and Ethernet
- Fluency in Verilog and VHDL
- Good analytical problem solving
- Good communication and people skills
- Fluency in English
Highly Desired Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience with Signal Processing on FPGAs
- Experience with Simulink and Xilinx System Generator
- Experience with Ethernet implementation on FPGAs
- Knowledge of mixed-signal design
- Bachelor or Masters of Engineering (or equivalent)
The chosen candidate must qualify to work in an environment governed by the Canadian Controlled Goods Program, and must agree to a security background check to confirm this.
To apply please e-mail your cover letter and resume, preferably as a MS Word file attachment. Please include your salary expectations in your email. In order for your application to be correctly processed, please indicate the job title of “FPGA Design Engineer” in the subject line of your e-mail.