Varian Medical Systems

Varian Medical Systems Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Varian
Enterprise Systems Analyst (SD) (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CANovember 10, 2014
Pros: great work balance
Great work balance. Company has been around for a while and the culture is predicated on it.
Good environment to start a career in
Control Room Tech (Current Employee), Salt lake cityNovember 5, 2014
Pros: bonuses, good benefits, great healthcare
Cons: long hours, judgmental, cafeteria closed during my shift
Varian is a really great place to get started in a future career. However the management is a little too judgmental if you are the specific religion or race they are wanting.
On a day to day bases I answer calls, let people in and out of the facility, I answer alarms, occasionally act as the 911 operator in the instance of a emergency.

Hardest part – more... of the job is sitting in an office, alone and not doing much, for 12 hours.

Most enjoyable part of the job is answering emergency calls when they do come in. Gets your heart racing! – less
Best company I've worked for
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), CrawleyNovember 5, 2014
I've worked for several companies but I would say that Varian is the nicest place of all.
There is a good work ethic throughout the company and everyone is approachable and more than happy to help when seeking advice.

I have worked there a couple of times, contract basis, the first being primarily CAD work and the last time as a member of the RoHS – more... compliance team. – less
Poorly Run Office
Admin (Former Employee), Marietta, GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: benefits medical, 401k, annual bonus company wide
Cons: poor management at this location, no work life balance, no flexibility, poor raises, no recognition in performance
The overall benefits is not bad but don't expect good increases in pay.
Too many changes, no standard processes, no training and no work life balances.
Micro Management at it's worse! No flexibility in schedules, usage of PPL and strict lunches. Do not leave your desk or they give you more work!
Old office building, leaking roof, bugs and not enough – more... bathrooms per employees. – less
First chance at travel
Varis Specialist (Former Employee), Milpitas, CAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: travel, new places, new challenges, and wonderful people.
Cons: a few long stretches away from home.
I came to Varian by way of a newspaper ad. I learned during the interview process that Varian was a company producing cancer treatment machines and software to direct the cancer treatment process. I would become part of a small team the visited cancer treatment facilities and installed/upgraded/repaired the software portion of the process.

I worked – more... with 6 of the greatest men I have ever met. Through the training process they helped me acquire the skills need to fly/drive to a center, diagnose the problem, and facilitate a solution in a very small time window. They built my confidence to implement the best, fastest, and most correct method to get a center back up and running.

I loved the team meetings and getting to know a diverse and dedicated group of computer professionals. We took time to support each other. – less
great place to work
FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER (Current Employee), Milpitas, CASeptember 22, 2014
. Great benefits. Company car, stock program, and paid vacation.
everyone helps everyone
Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Milpitas, CASeptember 17, 2014
best company to work for.
Coworkers are wonderful
Job is fulfilling
Management is very good
Quality Engineer II (Current Employee), Salt Lake City UtahSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: health care is great, growing business
Cons: progressing up the corporate ladder is hard
Growing company that builds cancer treating equipment.
Great atmosphere, benifits area excelent.
Showing up to work!
Desktop Support Specialist II (Current Employee), Palo AltoSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: endless learning
Cons: managment
I will typically respond to emails from the night before then check our inicident ticketing system in order to organize the ticket queue. I will then contact clients and begin the process to set up either deskside assistance or remote troubleshooting. Once the tickets are under control, I will move onto to one of the many projects we have going such – more... as encryption upgrade or upgrading systems to the current standard. This has been a great place to learn a diverse set of skills to troubleshoot and resolve a wide array of issues. They have also given me good practice at mantaining, managing and auditing AD servers as well as other software administration servers we work with. – less
Fun place to work
A. Senior Particle Therapy Service Engineer rep IV (Former Employee), Scripps Proton Therapy, San Diego CA.July 16, 2014
Pros: ability to learn aspects of the proton therapy system
Cons: constant rotation of shifts. hardly any weekends off.
* Plenty of installation & commissioning activities during a normal shift.
Installation Manager
Regional Manager (Former Employee), Lincolnshire ILJuly 1, 2014
Pros: had an excellent team to work with.
Cons: company was not organized properly to handle the is responsibilities.
Managed the information systems installers in the Midwest.
GOOD
IT System Engineer / project manager (Former Employee), BeijingMay 20, 2014
Good working place. Nice environment. A traditional company.
good workplace company .
Hand soldered, touch up SMT (Former Employee), Tempe, AZApril 3, 2014
Good benefits and management. Nice place to work. Safe workplace.
old-school company
LMS Lead/Internal Learning Consultant (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CaliforniaMarch 29, 2014
Pros: stabliity, ability to work from home
Cons: change- and risk-resistant, unimaginative management
Varian is one of the Silicon Valley's earliest technology companies. Many employees have been there for 15 years or more. Naturally, most of management are old timers. As a result, the company is change- and risk-resistant and management is hierarchical.

I have focused most of my time at Varian on driving quality system training to be more effective – more... and risk-based. The existing regime is geared almost exclusively to creating training records for auditors rather than promoting quality behavior. – less
Great company to work for.
SAP CRM ABAP Technical Developer (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAMarch 18, 2014
Good company, always enjoyed working at this company.
Good team of professionals.
Excellent company.
Field Service Engineer II (Former Employee), Chandler, AZMarch 14, 2014
Every day you learn something new while troubleshooting the linear accelerators.
Nice experience
Security & GRC Consultant (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAFebruary 4, 2014
I have very good experience in Varian medical systems.
Here I understood how the business runs.
good company if you can get in.
manufacturing technician (Former Employee), palo altoFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good pay.
Cons: bad hours, managment is questionable
a typical day at varian consists of mostly standing all day and working on the manufacturing floor. i learn a lot of stuff while i was there i got my forklift license and crane operating license also.
i was not a fan of the management they didn't have a good grasp on the work we did .the co workers were awesome alot of good guys and gals. the hardest – more... part of the job was the schedule. most enjoyable was working on the machines i really liked all the hands on work. – less
Productive Design Task
Senior E/M Designer IV (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: various work task
Cons: very little training offered
Good environment, various tasks, Good support from coworkers.
Little supervision and not much in the way of training.

Fast pace environment, multiple task and aggressive schedule.

Good work, complex design.
NA
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CADecember 10, 2013
Pros: good working environment, free fitness classes
Cons: na
Day start with scrum stand up for 15 mins. Every team member briefs about the achievement done on previous day , plan for the day and any impediments will be discussed.

Opportunity to analyze the entire application code flaws, design issues using code analysis tool which gave enough time for me to understand the design and fixing the flaws at the same – more... time. This resulted in better code quality.

Managment keeps the team updated about organizations change updated and are approachble.
Team members are very co operative, fun loving and enjoy day today activities. Apart from regular work everyone works on side project of their interest which keeps us motivated. – less

1 2 3