Vancouver School Board

Vancouver School Board Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun and productive workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2014
A typical day a work would be executing request or helping out teachers or students, organizing paperwork, photocopying paperwork, handling the school store, and delivering packages to classrooms. I've learned how to communicate with customers, organizations skills, listening to teachers requests and accurately executing them. My co-workers were about – more... my age or older and the were fun, productive and cooperative. The hardest part of the job was getting there, though i was never late it took a while to get there. The most enjoyable part of the job was being helpful and receive the great feedback from helping teachers and students, and working with a great staff. – less
Stable
School Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 13, 2014
In a typical day at work, it can be so different day by day because you don't know what will happen and who will walk to. When you build up relations with your co-workers, it can be a very enjoyable place and time flies by very quickly. The hardest part is sometimes seeing demands the public expect certain things and you are trying to solve it to the – more... best of your ability. – less
Low Pay - No Room for Advancement - Poor Leadership
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 12, 2013
Pros: work/life balance - great people to work with - rewarding helping students
Cons: low wages - no advancement opportunities - high risk of union strikes
Worked as an IT Support Specialist for the VSB for quite some time so be prepared to stay at the same wage for a years. There are no steps, just bands and you stay in that band pay scale until a new contract if ratified. Since the current government mandates a 0% wage increase there will be no increases anytime soon.

It is almost impossible to to climb – more... to a higher banding as the process is to do so is highly subjective and a waste of time.

Management within IT were quite reasonable however politics reign supreme.

With that said there are great people to work with and the benefits are decent.

Work / Life Balance is good. – less
THIS IS TRAINING
Computer For Schools (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 6, 2013
Pros: free drink and cake
Cons: lonely
THIS IS ABOUT YOUTH WORK EXPERIENCE TRAINING PROGRAMS. NO PAY .
meaningful work with constant learning opportunities
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 30, 2012
Pros: professional and positive atmosphere
Cons: you have to work more hours than you get payed for if you want to do a really good job.
Going to various classrooms, working with designated children,
helping them to be a part of the regular classroom.

Every child is different and every classroom is different. You learn new things every day.

Principals vary from school to school but they are all generally interested in a well run school that helps each child reach their potential.

My – more... coworkers at my current location are the best I have worked with during my 18 years of doing this job. I hope to stay at this location as long as I can.

The hardest part of the job is usually the challenging behaviors of some of the students and if you are in a classroom where the teacher doesn't understand that children with disabilities need to be accommodated if they are going to be successful.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with children and seeing them grow and learn. – less
I was an evening instructor for a Dental Reception Program that I wrote.
Instructor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2012
Working for Vancouver School Board was very rewarding. Classrooms were always clean and tidy. Staff was always very helpful