Vancouver School Board Employee Reviews

fun working with other nationality
School Custodian (Current Employee) –  Crosstown14 August 2017
the enjoyable part of my job is sharing ideas with others and willing to learns in others experience. To make the work for our team and to make some improvement. To make others happy.
My work place is so good. Everyone is so helpful.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2017
I love my job, I learned so many different things with kids . My work environment is so good, everyone is so helpful. At work time goes really fast . My work experience always help out
great place to work, union was good, staff were nice
SEA (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 June 2017
I never had any problems, great place to work. the only thing I didn't like was that other staff can take your job if they've been there longer.
******************************************************************************
Fun but challenging experience
REC N' READ LEADER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
I was in charge of a group of thirty five-year-old students and five volunteers. I learned that I must be attentive and patient with kids due to their difference in behaviours in comparison with adults.
review
Adult Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
The work days were typical the management managed. I learned about the workplace culture and what was the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job.
Travel to different schools provide social emotional learning and self-regulation strategies to students
Short-Term Intensive Behaviour Support (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 March 2017
I truly enjoy my position as a STIBS worker. I tend to continue researching programs, making visuals, reviewing videos and reading books on the topic of behaviour long hours after work.
I love to see students benefit from my hard work. They deserve the best I can offer!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours.
Unnecessarily stressful
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2017
Not a pleasant culture to work in. I felt disrespected and persistently bullied by supervisors who seemed sanctioned to degrade some workers and favor others. I felt so stressed day in and day out that I lost over 20 pounds and retired early.
Pros
Warm dry environment to work in.
Cons
Disrespectful treatment.
academics
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Instructor8 March 2017
I enjoyed teaching academics at VSB for 14 years; where else could I actually get to equip my students to become great writers while at the very same time get to read Shakespeare?
Fantastic benefits and fair pay structure
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
I had the pleasure of working for the VSB in the capacity of a grounds maintenance worker for over 10 years. Part of time there was as a temporary employee and part as a F/T, on benefits, staffer.

I found the workplace to be a safe place with a lot of friendly co-workers. The VSB made sure that all people working in my department were properly clothed with safety clothing and equipped with safety training.

Work consisted of working in small groups or alone, although the latter being phased out for safety purposes.

My only frustration with the position is that it offered little to no chance for career advancement.
Cons
little to no career advancement opportunities regardless of credentials and skills
Excellent part time work option for people who enjoy working with children
Supervision Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2017
A favourable work environment for experienced childcare professionals who are looking to supplement existing income sources or people who are only looking for part time work.
Pros
part-time, predominantly outdoor work, working with children and educators
Cons
only 2.5 hours per day
Great working place
Educational Assistant (SSW) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 February 2017
The High school I work at is a great community school with many programs and activities. The working atmosphere is great, all of us are great professionals who do our best to teach the students in our best way.
Dont waste your time
Assistant one (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC1 November 2016
Typical day is you clean the school, after teachers, after the kids. Assistant one work in elementary and you clean 90 % of the school. Really there is no learning curve as you push a broom all day. Management gives you the talk for not cleaning the school well enough. If you have your ticket 5th class or higher there are way better jobs out there that you can actually use your skill and be respected. They tell you there is a culture well not really.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Fun Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2016
I loved communicating in french everyday with the students. They know so much knowledge of many subjects, IN FRENCH. I loved coming to work. There were not any problems with this job. I loved finding solutions for the students and teachers problems.
Excellent Employer
Parent Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Coastal Health15 June 2016
I have had many professional development opportunities and appreciation from school staff. I have been fortunate to work with students from K-grade 12 which has kept me challenged in a myriad of ways.
Pros
Many opportunities to challenge my skill set
Wonderful students
ESL Drama Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 May 2016
Teaching Acting for ESL for the Vancouver School Board, (Countinuing Studies), was a treat because I was able to work with immigrants not only international students. They were curious about the acting process and worked hard learning monologues, writing scripts and with pronunciation exercises. They were passionate about improving their English skills because they were living in a new culture 'in English.'
Pros
great hours, they did the advertising, paid well, clean classrooms, free workshops for instructors
Cons
only once a week
Top heavy & too political
Child & Youth Care Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 April 2016
Lack of staff investment in our children's present & future.
Top heavy and too many complaining teachers.
My best times was when I was with the kids.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Too political
Engineer or Janitor
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 April 2015
Do not let them fool you they just use your ticket on the wall and all you do is clean up the classrooms with no hands on experience. Well i worked for a year there and very second day supervisor told me you are a glorified janitor. I ended up quiting my old job and was stuck there cleaning up a elementary school all by myself ( Classrooms, Corridors, Toilets everything). Worst job as an engineer you can find.
Grade One classroom teaching
District Resource Teacher, Grade One Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2015
The last five years I worked with the VSB I would begin the day in the classroom inviting parents to read with their children for 20 minutes. Each child had their own leveled books and this was so effective in getting all the children reading. The Smartboard was great for the morning calendar routine and teaching lessons. I loved to teach with theme based lessons which would get the children reading, writing and learning. Every year was different and I learned to make my lessons engage the various groups I taught and provided some high interest activities for those who wanted to explore more. The hardest thing in working in an inner city school is to meet the needs of children who are suffering emotionally which affects their academic achievement. I feel I did a good job with meeting needs but sometimes it seemed that what I called the "sea of need" was so great - it was so hard to do all that I felt needed to be done. I love teaching children to read and it is so exciting to turn children into readers and then watch them devour all the books at school and at home. I loved working with parents and have them involved as much as they could be. I worked with amazing colleagues and we were a real team at our school always helping each other. We will be lifelong friends.
Pros
Making a significant difference in children's lives
Cons
sometimes very long hours and having to buy so many things myself
no job security
Temporary Human Resources/Labour Relations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 February 2015
VSB continually runs over budget so your job is not secure no matter whether you are a teacher, administrator, or within the management team. The head office management team has a lot of micro managers. This may be due to pressure from the senior management team but it makes it a very unhealthy environment to work in. Parking is awful at head office and unless you live along the West Broadway corridor, it is an awful drive/bus ride to try and get there.

The only plus was a few of the other employees at head office. They do their best to make you feel appreciated but it can't make up for the constant micro managing.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
fun and productive workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2014
A typical day a work would be executing request or helping out teachers or students, organizing paperwork, photocopying paperwork, handling the school store, and delivering packages to classrooms. I've learned how to communicate with customers, organizations skills, listening to teachers requests and accurately executing them. My co-workers were about my age or older and the were fun, productive and cooperative. The hardest part of the job was getting there, though i was never late it took a while to get there. The most enjoyable part of the job was being helpful and receive the great feedback from helping teachers and students, and working with a great staff.