Vancouver School Board Employee Reviews in Canada

Wonderful students
ESL Drama Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 5, 2016
Teaching Acting for ESL for the Vancouver School Board, (Countinuing Studies), was a treat because I was able to work with immigrants not only international students. They were curious about the acting process and worked hard learning monologues, writing scripts and with pronunciation exercises. They were passionate about improving their English skills because they were living in a new culture 'in English.'
Pros
great hours, they did the advertising, paid well, clean classrooms, free workshops for instructors
Cons
only once a week
Top heavy & too political
Child & Youth Care Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 21, 2016
Lack of staff investment in our children's present & future.
Top heavy and too many complaining teachers.
My best times was when I was with the kids.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Too political
Engineer or Janitor
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 25, 2015
Do not let them fool you they just use your ticket on the wall and all you do is clean up the classrooms with no hands on experience. Well i worked for a year there and very second day supervisor told me you are a glorified janitor. I ended up quiting my old job and was stuck there cleaning up a elementary school all by myself ( Classrooms, Corridors, Toilets everything). Worst job as an engineer you can find.
Grade One classroom teaching
District Resource Teacher, Grade One Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2015
The last five years I worked with the VSB I would begin the day in the classroom inviting parents to read with their children for 20 minutes. Each child had their own leveled books and this was so effective in getting all the children reading. The Smartboard was great for the morning calendar routine and teaching lessons. I loved to teach with theme based lessons which would get the children reading, writing and learning. Every year was different and I learned to make my lessons engage the various groups I taught and provided some high interest activities for those who wanted to explore more. The hardest thing in working in an inner city school is to meet the needs of children who are suffering emotionally which affects their academic achievement. I feel I did a good job with meeting needs but sometimes it seemed that what I called the "sea of need" was so great - it was so hard to do all that I felt needed to be done. I love teaching children to read and it is so exciting to turn children into readers and then watch them devour all the books at school and at home. I loved working with parents and have them involved as much as they could be. I worked with amazing colleagues and we were a real team at our school always helping each other. We will be lifelong friends.
Pros
Making a significant difference in children's lives
Cons
sometimes very long hours and having to buy so many things myself
no job security
Temporary Human Resources/Labour Relations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 7, 2015
VSB continually runs over budget so your job is not secure no matter whether you are a teacher, administrator, or within the management team. The head office management team has a lot of micro managers. This may be due to pressure from the senior management team but it makes it a very unhealthy environment to work in. Parking is awful at head office and unless you live along the West Broadway corridor, it is an awful drive/bus ride to try and get there.

The only plus was a few of the other employees at head office. They do their best to make you feel appreciated but it can't make up for the constant micro managing.
Cons
too many to list
Stable
School Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 13, 2014
In a typical day at work, it can be so different day by day because you don't know what will happen and who will walk to. When you build up relations with your co-workers, it can be a very enjoyable place and time flies by very quickly. The hardest part is sometimes seeing demands the public expect certain things and you are trying to solve it to the best of your ability.
Low Pay - No Room for Advancement - Poor Leadership
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 12, 2013
Worked as an IT Support Specialist for the VSB for quite some time so be prepared to stay at the same wage for a years. There are no steps, just bands and you stay in that band pay scale until a new contract if ratified. Since the current government mandates a 0% wage increase there will be no increases anytime soon.

It is almost impossible to to climb to a higher banding as the process is to do so is highly subjective and a waste of time.

Management within IT were quite reasonable however politics reign supreme.

With that said there are great people to work with and the benefits are decent.

Work / Life Balance is good.
Pros
work/life balance - great people to work with - rewarding helping students
Cons
low wages - no advancement opportunities - high risk of union strikes
THIS IS TRAINING
Computer For Schools (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 6, 2013
THIS IS ABOUT YOUTH WORK EXPERIENCE TRAINING PROGRAMS. NO PAY .
Pros
free drink and cake
Cons
lonely
Educative and enjoyable workplace
Special Need Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 26, 2012
Working on casual on call duty ; assigned to different schools as a
special education assistant ,assisting special need child to participate in classroom activities under the guidance of the school teachers .
The hardest part of the job was not knowing in advance when and which school , i will be assigned .
The most desirable is working with teachers .
meaningful work with constant learning opportunities
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 30, 2012
Going to various classrooms, working with designated children,
helping them to be a part of the regular classroom.

Every child is different and every classroom is different. You learn new things every day.

Principals vary from school to school but they are all generally interested in a well run school that helps each child reach their potential.

My coworkers at my current location are the best I have worked with during my 18 years of doing this job. I hope to stay at this location as long as I can.

The hardest part of the job is usually the challenging behaviors of some of the students and if you are in a classroom where the teacher doesn't understand that children with disabilities need to be accommodated if they are going to be successful.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with children and seeing them grow and learn.
Pros
professional and positive atmosphere
Cons
you have to work more hours than you get payed for if you want to do a really good job.
I was an evening instructor for a Dental Reception Program that I wrote.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2012
Working for Vancouver School Board was very rewarding. Classrooms were always clean and tidy. Staff was always very helpful