Vancouver Island University

Vancouver Island University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An active learning environment made a good place to start.
Greenhouse Technician (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCNovember 19, 2015
Pros: Informative and Educational
Cons: Lack of leadership and structure.
The management could have been stronger, I find that employees will follow in a more dedicated fashion with a structured managerial system. It was a great place to become familiar with greenhouse technology and development. Under staffing was an issue, but I was able to overcome it by accepting the unexpected responsibility and running with it to my employers surprise no additional hiring was necessary.
It's a fun, fast paced multicultural environment.
Cashier (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: discounted food, excellent coastal view
Cons: at the top of campus
I really enjoy working in the Cafeteria at VIU.
It is very fast paced, you interact with all walks and races, you meet lots of amazing people.

The environment is rich with positive energy, lots of opportunity to learn. The management works around your availability which is ideal when you are raising a family.
Excellent workplace with intecultural diversity acknowledgement
Bloomberg Data and Research Assistant (Internship) (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCNovember 20, 2015
Working in this academic practice with excellent professors and professionals afforded me the opportunity to learn and grow from the best. I was able to work independently yet monitored close enough that I was able to gain confident in completing any tasks that are required. Provides equality and high acceptance towards skillful individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Very Productive and good Teachers
Student (Former Employee), Nanaimo B.CSeptember 18, 2015
Pros: Great Instructor
Cons: Not long enough classtimes threw the course
Very well knowledged Instructor for our welding level' C' Program learned all the basics of becoming a Welder threw our Foundation Instructor took his time to teach all hands on with his students on timley mannor and gave extra time to show how its to be done right.
I really enjoyed the Program was well informmed
Productive, effeicent and fun loving organization to work
Assistant in International Marketing, Recruitment (Former Employee), NanaimoFebruary 26, 2014
I enjoyed working in Vancouver Island University. I learned to prioritize work efficiently. The management style was work-oriented. The co-workers were ethical and supportive. The hardest part of the job was to immediately respond to 100-120 email inquires with 2 days of response time. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet new people everyday.
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Administrative Assistant / Marketing Communication (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCApril 9, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: Too long hours
I always look forward to going to work every day.
I am a great team member so my co-worker are my best friends.
I am a goal getter so nothing is really hard for me intense of my job.
Favourable working place
Mentor (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: free Pizza
Cons: daily meetings
Constructive, conducive and fancy. i have learnt teamwork and good communication skills. its management is well organised and gives humble working environment. actually i didn't experience that much hard time at work. i enjoy the fun moments with my workmates.
VIU
Student (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: i love a good challenge.
Cons: discovered i needed glasses!
As a Student, I was very busy. I loved to learn and I miss it. Professors were great people to learn from. I made many friends there who were also following the same dreams..
Cool Place to work
ITIL Process Consultant (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCOctober 11, 2015
I am working here as part time so cant provide you in depth information but its nice place to work as people are good and cooperative.
Great place to work and learn.
Office Assistant at Disability Services (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCMarch 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
-Worked with kind, intelligent people who provided support and accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Opportunity for growth and continuing education.
Manager Labour Relations (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCOctober 22, 2014
Good team in the HR department. They are dedicated employees and an asset to the University.
Great way to meet the faculty
Assist the faculty of the Management department (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCJuly 3, 2012
Day includes helping faculty with any task that they need assistance with
Good experience
Economics Tutor (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCMay 12, 2012
For building experience as a post-secondary student, VIU offers some great positions.