Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

Working as a team to provide the best care for patients
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 November 2016
Working with a well educated and we'll balanced team is the key to a great work place. Always looked forward to going to work and working with talented professional staff. This makes it a great place to connect with patients and deliver quality medical care.
Pros
Professional co workers
Cons
Huge middle management
work here if you want to be undervalued underpaid and overworked
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 November 2016
front of the line workers are treated poorly and we don't make nearly enough money, management is a joke, scheduling is a absolute nightmare
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC31 October 2016
Values based organization
Diversity in jobs
Great teams with collaboration.
Many opportunities for innovation in a complex work environment
Management top heavy, bureaucratic,
Other (Current Employee) –  Victoria26 October 2016
In my opinion this is a management top heavy organization with huge discrepancies in wages between the top and bottom. With the exception of physicans, administrative managment compensation is excessive. A great place for a horrible and ineffective managers with good political skills to find employment for years. Management tend to get offices with windows and enjoy the perk of creating a virtual solar eclipse for the huddled masses working outside of their closed doors. Seniority rules in this environment, dog eat dog when it comes to holidays, preferred shifts and days off. New employees will take the scraps (if any) of preferred holiday times like the summar or Christmas and this can last for years. You might have to forget about having a holiday wiith your family in the summer. The organization is too big and will never have a sense of team work. You go to work do your best, you get paid for your services, don't expect much more. Extra effort or skills are not recognized. Your job is defined and rigid you will work within the scope of you job regardless of your background or experience. Managers can easily work the system to hire and promote who they want. Casual employees are the worst off with almost no benefits and no job security at all. Even though you may have full time casual employeed for a year or more you can be let go with no notice or compensation. Jobs postings are plentiful for casual employees.
Pros
Stable paycheque, direct patient interactions can be rewarding.
Cons
Very impersonal orgainzation that is simply too big.
nice people
unit clerk (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC4 October 2016
it's ok as long as you don't want to make any money - no raises in 10 years not even cost of living - there are some really nice people who work in the front lines but management is totally disconnected from their workers and when a clerk at the reccreation center starts at $27 an hour and I work for $19 and that is the top of my scale something is wrong here
Pros
it\s a job
Cons
low pay and no management support
Could be better
Medical Secretary Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC15 July 2016
Due to provincial cut backs in the health sector, this hospital has had to drastically down size the employees and positions within their hospital system. Of course, moral is bad. Too many good people are having to deal with too many pressures of the financial situation.
Pros
Beautiful location and great people
Cons
Budgets
A great team to work with
Clerk/Receptionist III Medical (Former Employee) –  Gold River, BC8 July 2016
The staff at this location is dedicated and hardworking. We have always worked well as a team. Our manager is empathetic when we have family issues and reminds us that family comes first. My position was rather demanding and the workload can be frustrating, but we all pull together to get the job done.
Pros
Great staff - interesting work
Cons
high-paced workload
Productive and quiet environment to work in
Volunteer in Royal Jubilee Hospital Nursing Unit (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 July 2016
I volunteered in the Nursing unit for several months and my main responsibilities are talking to patients, making sure they are not lonely and comfortable. Also, I can take patients to discharge rooms and wait for them to be picked up. I talked to professional nurses about different patients and how to care them in different ways.
Community programs beneficial.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 June 2016
Numerous community programs beneficial to clients not requiring hospitalization. Effective team members in supporting clients in their homes. Management respectful and supportive of staff.
Excellent Team Enviornment
Business Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 April 2016
VIHA gave me the chance to lead a major project to a successful conclusion within a very professional and competent team. Although we had tight project timelines the team worked very well together and each member was able to carve out roles that functioned well within the project.
Pros
Excellent team environment and benefits
Cons
Slow advancement and low compensation
health authority, secure employment
staff scheduler (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 April 2016
Employment is secure, but the unionized environment is difficult. The benefits are good, but work ethic and attitude are not rewarded.
Pros
secure employment
Cons
often toxic environment
Bad management ovetall, harrassment thrives
Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saanich19 March 2016
Unionized. Extremely challenging, many complacent employees waiting to retire. If you get a good team to work with then be happy about it, its hard to get through a shift without an under trained or non caring team member making your workload unbearable. Lack of accountability and too much he said she said. Union will help but even they can't right all the wrongs. Sidways bullying and harrasment from the top is rampant.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Some atmosphetes are toxic
plenty of opportunity to shine
Clinical Engineer's Asst./Junior Clinical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2016
I had four main projects with multiple side projects thrown into the mix periodically. loved the atmosphere in the office and wasn't paid a lot. People are great, clinical environment is exciting, interesting and engaging.

everyone on rotation for summer holidays was challenging
Extremely supportive organization for both employee and patients and families
Community Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanimo and Parksville BC16 February 2016
Vancouver Island Health Authority has been an exceptional work environment, professionally and personally. Relocating to Vancouver has meant leaving this wonderful organization however I look forward to many more tremendous opportunities such as I have gained with VIHA
Great Culture
ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 February 2016
Island Health is one of the leading employers on Vancouver Island. Island Health provides several work perks such as career coaching, leadership training and mentorship pairing.
Solid employer, bogged down in beauracracy
Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 October 2015
I loved the work I did and the Portfolio I was responsible for. I provided full service HR support. They offer a fantastic Leadership development program.
Pros
A lot resources and very interesting work
Cons
Too bureaucratic and I worked in a "sick" building.
Enjoyable, fun and supportive work place
Resident Care Attendant\ Health Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC17 July 2015
I enjoyed and love my job as a Health Care Attendant. Love all the people am working with, especially the patients, learned from them, laugh, chat, help, care and love them, though sometimes their grumpy, I manage to cheer them up. On the floor am working, which is the 4th floor, we have a very supportive Manager, CNL or clinical nurse leader, our nurses and all the teams on the floor. Politics, that's everywhere, so, just have to live with it. Patience is the key to success. The reason I want to work in Jacksonville, is because my husband is retired and want to stay and live here. And I want to be close to my families live in Jacksonville, Florida.
Pros
as i said, i love my job, caring for this fragile and delicate people.
Cons
not enough staff, especially weekends, lots of calling in sick..
great enviroment
Temp Full time (Current Employee) –  Lake Cowichan, BC3 July 2015
good enviroment and open to suggesstion
has alot of room for movement and encourages education
very excellant IT program and easy to get help when needed
Just started as casual
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Comox29 June 2015
Just started as casual and had a great week. Nice people and a great willingness to do my orientation. Lots of joking, smiles and encouragement to ask questions and get answers. I did notice a lack of continuity between the different departments / floors (i.e. in where and how patient charts were stored and filed, and in who was transcribing orders, etc. Could just be the learning curve, but I think it would be easy to streamline something like this. :)
Looking forward to working here on a more continuous basis.
Pros
orientation
Cons
lack of continuity in departments
If you value money this is your place; if you value health, move on
IT (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 February 2015
The pay and benefits are relatively good but workload and work environment are horrendous. Employees are not valued at all and patients fare only slightly better. Most employees are kept in casual on call positions with no opportunity to advance or get security. If you are "lucky" enough to get into a permanent posting you will be over worked and mistreated until you get sick and then you will get no support from the employer. When you leave they will try to get out of paying severance or anything else. They say they are one of the top 100 employers but they nominated themselves and then campaigned for votes. Very few employees would voluntarily vote for them. They love to say they have support systems, value employees, blah, blah, blah, but their actions do not support the rhetoric. I've seen too many people have the life sucked out of them here and would not recommend this environment to anyone. You WILL pay the price for your salary.