Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

A hospital environment
British Columbia (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 October 2017
Working in hospital gave me alot of wonderful skills and knowledge. There is always room to emrpove and advance in knowlegde. Especially as I was a casual worker, fortunately I was able to work on alot of medical and surgical floors. I came out with amazing skills and knowlegde.
Great experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 September 2017
Great experience, very knowledgeable staff & good team spirit.
Lots to learn and rotate through different areas of pharmacy. A lot ot offer many different people.
Addiction Worker
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 August 2017
Not very good pay for hard and stressful work. No advancement opportunities. The bottom feeders of health care. Workplace culture is stressful, busy, underappreciated by management, abused by clients.
A great view to health care on the island
Payroll (Current Employee) –  Victoria24 August 2017
I have learned that keeping organized and planning ahead as much as possible are the best ways to ensure success. The best part of the job is that I can leave it at work.
Can be very nice
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 August 2017
This really depends on the facility. Some seem to be run quite well and the staff and residents/patients appear happy. There are some facilities which are run poorly. Do you research and try to speak to some employees discreetly to find out if it is the facility for you.
good work life balance
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC10 July 2017
good work life balance, a busy work environment that will allow you flexibility with your schedule and an environment that challenges you without being redundant.
Pros
flexible
Productive, enjoyable place to work
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 June 2017
Good company to work for. Flexible hours. Good people to work with.
Learned lots, really enjoyed my job. Everyday I always learned something new and meet new people.
Secure jobs once you get into permanent position
Administrative Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC30 May 2017
For the seven years that I have worked for Vancouver Island Health Authority, I have felt very blessed. I've loved my job and the people I worked with, but it is time for a change.
My administrative position was in a fast-paced environment, where I have been met with many challenges, but being a resourceful and positive person, I was able to meet them head-on.
If you are looking for an administrative/clerical position, applying externally for casual positions is the way to go. I started in May 2010 as a casual an always had work. Be willing to train as an admin in several different areas so that you can build your seniority hour and are able to put your foot in the door for a chance at a regular position. You will then gain employer paid health and dental benefits, paid sick leave, paid vacation time and have access to employer associated counseling programs, etc...
It's been great, but I am definitely ready for a change of environment.
Good luck!!
excellent supportive, collaborative workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC17 April 2017
Love working here, the staff and management are awesome! Supportive environment. RN's that are knowledgeable and helpful. Teaching environment, Team work at it's best.
Challenging, but rewarding
Licensed Practical Nurse - Casual (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 March 2017
My day to day work schedule can be challenging, but I find the work I do rewarding. We are often short staffed, but we all work together as a team to provide excellent patient care
Pros
Fulfilling
Cons
Can be quite stressful
Pays Highest rate for hca
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2017
I enjoyed my time working with Viha. They procided excellent training. It is also a big priority to island health that their employees are safe while working.
I enjoyed working
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 February 2017
I preferred the 12 hour shifts and learnt something new everyday. Management varied on a person's personality and past experience. The culture varied on whom were working .The hardest part of the job was those who did not respect others and act professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job were the connections I had with patients, families and laughing with the staff.
Great place to Start a Career
Unit Clerk-paediatric ambulatory services VGH (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 January 2017
You can move around to different departments depending on experience. Gain so much knowledge about healthcare. Work with great people. Internally apply to other jobs you are interested in. Great benefits.
Pros
career environment, continuous learning
Cons
Not enough pay!
Working as a team to provide the best care for patients
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 November 2016
Working with a well educated and we'll balanced team is the key to a great work place. Always looked forward to going to work and working with talented professional staff. This makes it a great place to connect with patients and deliver quality medical care.
Pros
Professional co workers
Cons
Huge middle management
work here if you want to be undervalued underpaid and overworked
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 November 2016
front of the line workers are treated poorly and we don't make nearly enough money, management is a joke, scheduling is a absolute nightmare
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC31 October 2016
Values based organization
Diversity in jobs
Great teams with collaboration.
Many opportunities for innovation in a complex work environment
Management top heavy, bureaucratic,
Other (Current Employee) –  Victoria26 October 2016
In my opinion this is a management top heavy organization with huge discrepancies in wages between the top and bottom. With the exception of physicans, administrative managment compensation is excessive. A great place for a horrible and ineffective managers with good political skills to find employment for years. Management tend to get offices with windows and enjoy the perk of creating a virtual solar eclipse for the huddled masses working outside of their closed doors. Seniority rules in this environment, dog eat dog when it comes to holidays, preferred shifts and days off. New employees will take the scraps (if any) of preferred holiday times like the summar or Christmas and this can last for years. You might have to forget about having a holiday wiith your family in the summer. The organization is too big and will never have a sense of team work. You go to work do your best, you get paid for your services, don't expect much more. Extra effort or skills are not recognized. Your job is defined and rigid you will work within the scope of you job regardless of your background or experience. Managers can easily work the system to hire and promote who they want. Casual employees are the worst off with almost no benefits and no job security at all. Even though you may have full time casual employeed for a year or more you can be let go with no notice or compensation. Jobs postings are plentiful for casual employees.
Pros
Stable paycheque, direct patient interactions can be rewarding.
Cons
Very impersonal orgainzation that is simply too big.
nice people
unit clerk (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC4 October 2016
it's ok as long as you don't want to make any money - no raises in 10 years not even cost of living - there are some really nice people who work in the front lines but management is totally disconnected from their workers and when a clerk at the reccreation center starts at $27 an hour and I work for $19 and that is the top of my scale something is wrong here
Pros
it\s a job
Cons
low pay and no management support
Could be better
Medical Secretary Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC15 July 2016
Due to provincial cut backs in the health sector, this hospital has had to drastically down size the employees and positions within their hospital system. Of course, moral is bad. Too many good people are having to deal with too many pressures of the financial situation.
Pros
Beautiful location and great people
Cons
Budgets
A great team to work with
Clerk/Receptionist III Medical (Former Employee) –  Gold River, BC8 July 2016
The staff at this location is dedicated and hardworking. We have always worked well as a team. Our manager is empathetic when we have family issues and reminds us that family comes first. My position was rather demanding and the workload can be frustrating, but we all pull together to get the job done.
Pros
Great staff - interesting work
Cons
high-paced workload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Vancouver Island Health Authority Reviews by Location