Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

nice people
unit clerk (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC4 October 2016
it's ok as long as you don't want to make any money - no raises in 10 years not even cost of living - there are some really nice people who work in the front lines but management is totally disconnected from their workers and when a clerk at the reccreation center starts at $27 an hour and I work for $19 and that is the top of my scale something is wrong here
Pros
it\s a job
Cons
low pay and no management support
I enjoyed working
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 February 2017
I preferred the 12 hour shifts and learnt something new everyday. Management varied on a person's personality and past experience. The culture varied on whom were working .The hardest part of the job was those who did not respect others and act professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job were the connections I had with patients, families and laughing with the staff.
Great place to Start a Career
Unit Clerk-paediatric ambulatory services VGH (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 January 2017
You can move around to different departments depending on experience. Gain so much knowledge about healthcare. Work with great people. Internally apply to other jobs you are interested in. Great benefits.
Pros
career environment, continuous learning
Cons
Not enough pay!
Management top heavy, bureaucratic,
Other (Current Employee) –  Victoria26 October 2016
In my opinion this is a management top heavy organization with huge discrepancies in wages between the top and bottom. With the exception of physicans, administrative managment compensation is excessive. A great place for a horrible and ineffective managers with good political skills to find employment for years. Management tend to get offices with windows and enjoy the perk of creating a virtual solar eclipse for the huddled masses working outside of their closed doors. Seniority rules in this environment, dog eat dog when it comes to holidays, preferred shifts and days off. New employees will take the scraps (if any) of preferred holiday times like the summar or Christmas and this can last for years. You might have to forget about having a holiday wiith your family in the summer. The organization is too big and will never have a sense of team work. You go to work do your best, you get paid for your services, don't expect much more. Extra effort or skills are not recognized. Your job is defined and rigid you will work within the scope of you job regardless of your background or experience. Managers can easily work the system to hire and promote who they want. Casual employees are the worst off with almost no benefits and no job security at all. Even though you may have full time casual employeed for a year or more you can be let go with no notice or compensation. Jobs postings are plentiful for casual employees.
Pros
Stable paycheque, direct patient interactions can be rewarding.
Cons
Very impersonal orgainzation that is simply too big.
Working as a team to provide the best care for patients
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 November 2016
Working with a well educated and we'll balanced team is the key to a great work place. Always looked forward to going to work and working with talented professional staff. This makes it a great place to connect with patients and deliver quality medical care.
Pros
Professional co workers
Cons
Huge middle management
work here if you want to be undervalued underpaid and overworked
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 November 2016
front of the line workers are treated poorly and we don't make nearly enough money, management is a joke, scheduling is a absolute nightmare
Excellent Team Enviornment
Business Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 April 2016
VIHA gave me the chance to lead a major project to a successful conclusion within a very professional and competent team. Although we had tight project timelines the team worked very well together and each member was able to carve out roles that functioned well within the project.
Pros
Excellent team environment and benefits
Cons
Slow advancement and low compensation
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC31 October 2016
Values based organization
Diversity in jobs
Great teams with collaboration.
Many opportunities for innovation in a complex work environment
Community programs beneficial.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 June 2016
Numerous community programs beneficial to clients not requiring hospitalization. Effective team members in supporting clients in their homes. Management respectful and supportive of staff.
health authority, secure employment
staff scheduler (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 April 2016
Employment is secure, but the unionized environment is difficult. The benefits are good, but work ethic and attitude are not rewarded.
Pros
secure employment
Cons
often toxic environment
Productive and quiet environment to work in
Volunteer in Royal Jubilee Hospital Nursing Unit (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 July 2016
I volunteered in the Nursing unit for several months and my main responsibilities are talking to patients, making sure they are not lonely and comfortable. Also, I can take patients to discharge rooms and wait for them to be picked up. I talked to professional nurses about different patients and how to care them in different ways.
A great team to work with
Clerk/Receptionist III Medical (Former Employee) –  Gold River, BC8 July 2016
The staff at this location is dedicated and hardworking. We have always worked well as a team. Our manager is empathetic when we have family issues and reminds us that family comes first. My position was rather demanding and the workload can be frustrating, but we all pull together to get the job done.
Pros
Great staff - interesting work
Cons
high-paced workload
Could be better
Medical Secretary Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC15 July 2016
Due to provincial cut backs in the health sector, this hospital has had to drastically down size the employees and positions within their hospital system. Of course, moral is bad. Too many good people are having to deal with too many pressures of the financial situation.
Pros
Beautiful location and great people
Cons
Budgets
Nice place to work if you are related to clinical job.
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 August 2013
Salary: Excellent
Culture: Good
Job Security: Depends, Good if related to clinical/medical
Management: Good
Work/Life balance: Good
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Highly Political
Bad management ovetall, harrassment thrives
Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saanich19 March 2016
Unionized. Extremely challenging, many complacent employees waiting to retire. If you get a good team to work with then be happy about it, its hard to get through a shift without an under trained or non caring team member making your workload unbearable. Lack of accountability and too much he said she said. Union will help but even they can't right all the wrongs. Sidways bullying and harrasment from the top is rampant.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Some atmosphetes are toxic
Great Security but no Future
Administrative Assistant (AS4) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 September 2012
I have been an Admin Assistant with VIHA for almost 10 years. I appreciate the security, good pay and benefits. I have enjoyed various opportunities to learn and create my own work, such as creating archiving systems and databases to support them. However I feel I have reached the peak of how far I can go within this organization and wish to seek other opportunities to fulfil my potential.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no future advancement opportunities
Great Culture
ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 February 2016
Island Health is one of the leading employers on Vancouver Island. Island Health provides several work perks such as career coaching, leadership training and mentorship pairing.
No Respect for Frontline Staff
Resident Care Attendant/Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 October 2012
You are probably hired as a casual. Then you are hounded by staffing to work at locations you didn't say you are available for or shift times you're not available for. Internal hiring is based on seniority- so you're probably going to be a casual for quite some time (I was for FOUR years). There is no respect for care aides, and your coworkers are also burnt out and can be hard to be around. Casuals have to pay for benefits, get no sick time, and no vacation time. The system is very badly broken, but don't expect your manager to be on your side. Also, when you inevitably injure yourself due to the unsafe working conditions and absolutely ridiculous caseload, VIHA will most likely have their lawyers that are on retainer fight against your WCB claim, and win. The one single thing that I loved about my job was working with the residents, and with the caseload (anywhere between 8-15 residents if you are short-staffed) you barely have enough time to ask them how their day is going. My biggest regret is not quitting sooner.
Pros
the residents, they always made my day
Cons
no benefits, no commitment to worker safety, poor management, short-staffing
Enjoyable, fun and supportive work place
Resident Care Attendant\ Health Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC17 July 2015
I enjoyed and love my job as a Health Care Attendant. Love all the people am working with, especially the patients, learned from them, laugh, chat, help, care and love them, though sometimes their grumpy, I manage to cheer them up. On the floor am working, which is the 4th floor, we have a very supportive Manager, CNL or clinical nurse leader, our nurses and all the teams on the floor. Politics, that's everywhere, so, just have to live with it. Patience is the key to success. The reason I want to work in Jacksonville, is because my husband is retired and want to stay and live here. And I want to be close to my families live in Jacksonville, Florida.
Pros
as i said, i love my job, caring for this fragile and delicate people.
Cons
not enough staff, especially weekends, lots of calling in sick..
Extremely supportive organization for both employee and patients and families
Community Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanimo and Parksville BC16 February 2016
Vancouver Island Health Authority has been an exceptional work environment, professionally and personally. Relocating to Vancouver has meant leaving this wonderful organization however I look forward to many more tremendous opportunities such as I have gained with VIHA

Vancouver Island Health Authority Reviews by Location