Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews in Canada

Could be better
Medical Secretary Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BCJuly 15, 2016
Due to provincial cut backs in the health sector, this hospital has had to drastically down size the employees and positions within their hospital system. Of course, moral is bad. Too many good people are having to deal with too many pressures of the financial situation.
Pros
Beautiful location and great people
Cons
Budgets
A great team to work with
Clerk/Receptionist III Medical (Former Employee) –  Gold River, BCJuly 8, 2016
The staff at this location is dedicated and hardworking. We have always worked well as a team. Our manager is empathetic when we have family issues and reminds us that family comes first. My position was rather demanding and the workload can be frustrating, but we all pull together to get the job done.
Pros
Great staff - interesting work
Cons
high-paced workload
Productive and quiet environment to work in
Volunteer in Royal Jubilee Hospital Nursing Unit (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 7, 2016
I volunteered in the Nursing unit for several months and my main responsibilities are talking to patients, making sure they are not lonely and comfortable. Also, I can take patients to discharge rooms and wait for them to be picked up. I talked to professional nurses about different patients and how to care them in different ways.
Community programs beneficial.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 5, 2016
Numerous community programs beneficial to clients not requiring hospitalization. Effective team members in supporting clients in their homes. Management respectful and supportive of staff.
Excellent Team Enviornment
Business Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 10, 2016
VIHA gave me the chance to lead a major project to a successful conclusion within a very professional and competent team. Although we had tight project timelines the team worked very well together and each member was able to carve out roles that functioned well within the project.
Pros
Excellent team environment and benefits
Cons
Slow advancement and low compensation
health authority, secure employment
staff scheduler (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 5, 2016
Employment is secure, but the unionized environment is difficult. The benefits are good, but work ethic and attitude are not rewarded.
Pros
secure employment
Cons
often toxic environment
Bad management ovetall, harrassment thrives
Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  SaanichMarch 19, 2016
Unionized. Extremely challenging, many complacent employees waiting to retire. If you get a good team to work with then be happy about it, its hard to get through a shift without an under trained or non caring team member making your workload unbearable. Lack of accountability and too much he said she said. Union will help but even they can't right all the wrongs. Sidways bullying and harrasment from the top is rampant.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Some atmosphetes are toxic
plenty of opportunity to shine
Clinical Engineer's Asst./Junior Clinical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 12, 2016
I had four main projects with multiple side projects thrown into the mix periodically. loved the atmosphere in the office and wasn't paid a lot. People are great, clinical environment is exciting, interesting and engaging.

everyone on rotation for summer holidays was challenging
Extremely supportive organization for both employee and patients and families
Community Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanimo and Parksville BCFebruary 16, 2016
Vancouver Island Health Authority has been an exceptional work environment, professionally and personally. Relocating to Vancouver has meant leaving this wonderful organization however I look forward to many more tremendous opportunities such as I have gained with VIHA
Great Culture
ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 8, 2016
Island Health is one of the leading employers on Vancouver Island. Island Health provides several work perks such as career coaching, leadership training and mentorship pairing.
Solid employer, bogged down in beauracracy
Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 14, 2015
I loved the work I did and the Portfolio I was responsible for. I provided full service HR support. They offer a fantastic Leadership development program.
Pros
A lot resources and very interesting work
Cons
Too bureaucratic and I worked in a "sick" building.
Enjoyable, fun and supportive work place
Resident Care Attendant\ Health Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJuly 17, 2015
I enjoyed and love my job as a Health Care Attendant. Love all the people am working with, especially the patients, learned from them, laugh, chat, help, care and love them, though sometimes their grumpy, I manage to cheer them up. On the floor am working, which is the 4th floor, we have a very supportive Manager, CNL or clinical nurse leader, our nurses and all the teams on the floor. Politics, that's everywhere, so, just have to live with it. Patience is the key to success. The reason I want to work in Jacksonville, is because my husband is retired and want to stay and live here. And I want to be close to my families live in Jacksonville, Florida.
Pros
as i said, i love my job, caring for this fragile and delicate people.
Cons
not enough staff, especially weekends, lots of calling in sick..
great enviroment
Temp Full time (Current Employee) –  Lake Cowichan, BCJuly 3, 2015
good enviroment and open to suggesstion
has alot of room for movement and encourages education
very excellant IT program and easy to get help when needed
Just started as casual
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  ComoxJune 29, 2015
Just started as casual and had a great week. Nice people and a great willingness to do my orientation. Lots of joking, smiles and encouragement to ask questions and get answers. I did notice a lack of continuity between the different departments / floors (i.e. in where and how patient charts were stored and filed, and in who was transcribing orders, etc. Could just be the learning curve, but I think it would be easy to streamline something like this. :)
Looking forward to working here on a more continuous basis.
Pros
orientation
Cons
lack of continuity in departments
If you value money this is your place; if you value health, move on
IT (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 23, 2015
The pay and benefits are relatively good but workload and work environment are horrendous. Employees are not valued at all and patients fare only slightly better. Most employees are kept in casual on call positions with no opportunity to advance or get security. If you are "lucky" enough to get into a permanent posting you will be over worked and mistreated until you get sick and then you will get no support from the employer. When you leave they will try to get out of paying severance or anything else. They say they are one of the top 100 employers but they nominated themselves and then campaigned for votes. Very few employees would voluntarily vote for them. They love to say they have support systems, value employees, blah, blah, blah, but their actions do not support the rhetoric. I've seen too many people have the life sucked out of them here and would not recommend this environment to anyone. You WILL pay the price for your salary.
Large Facility great place to work
Maintenance worker 5/ Maintenance Supervisor1 (Current Employee) –  NanaimoFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day consists of general maintennace,preventative maintenance and direction to all my staff.Great co workers and managment.
Pros
good hour and benefits.
Cons
travel time to work(1 hr)
Challenging
Adult Intensive Care Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 8, 2014
This position was both challenging, emotionally draining at times. I found the work exhilarating and fast paced. I liked my co workers and the care they gave the patients.
I left this position to move to Alberta to explore different avenues.
Pros
medical staff
Cons
ups and downs of emotions
typical work day
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2014
Working as a team leader at Alternate Level Care
listening to morning message about my clients night, was there any changes. medication administration. Help with morning care. Dressing changes if needed. Vac dressings if needed. Help RCA's with feeding. Restock carts. Assess my clients before I chart on them before my day is over.
Pros
working with one rca throughout the 4 yrs
Cons
didn't get to move around much. was stuck on one pod.
I learned a lot and enjoyed working there
Resident Care Aide ( RCA) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 25, 2014
I like the one on one that you can give when your in peoples homes. I have found my coworkers to be helpful, friendly. The hardest part of the job is finding addresses on a dark and rainy night.The most enjoyable part is giving good quality care to clients so they can remain in their homes. Management is eager to assist if you have any problems. I have learned that it means alot to people to be able to stay in their homes with a little help.I have also learned alot about how to communicate with different types of people.
Pros
meeting so many nice interesting people
Overall a challenging and fullfilling employer with very good job satisfaction
Revenue A/R Supervisor Clerk 5 (Former Employee) –  Royal Jubilee Hospital Victoria BCApril 21, 2014
Each day was very full with a variety of duties which made it very satisfying. There was always something new as we were constantly upgrading and changing our accounting systems. Learning and training was what kept the job fresh and interesting. Working with a wonderful group of co-workers added to the enjoyment of the job. The job was very fast paced and deadline oriented with a need to follow policy and procedure to be successfully effective.

Vancouver Island Health Authority Reviews by Location