Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

Overall
Medical Health Office - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo22 January 2018
Overall it is a great place to work. They are very willing to work with your life/home balance. There are fair sick days, vacation days, etc. to manage your day to day life.
Heavy mental work load
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 January 2018
This job can be very hard and have negative effects on hire mental health. You have to learn how to leave everything that happens at work and not bring it home with you.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible hours
Great but not a whole bunch of opportunity
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC19 December 2017
Had many casual positions available but not many permanent. Great people to work with though, friendly and helpful.
I have enjoyed the experience I gained from working here.
Impossible to gain seniority as a casual.
Registered Nurse, BScN (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Senioriry is not based on hire date. Shifts are not divided to casuals, as the person with most hours has the ability to take every shift available. Hard to live waiting by the phone for last minute 12hr shifts to become available short call. As a nurse it is challenging. Poor pay. Do not invest in new employe education in soecialty areas-you must have before even having an interview.
Pros
Intraweb
Cons
Poor pay, hard to be casual
Public Health Nurse
Full-time Public Health nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 November 2017
Position was enjoyable as colleagues were wonderful to collaborate with and family population very satisfying to work with. Disappointing that they were removing permanent part-time positions as many of the nurses are mothers and trying to raise healthy children and support families. Seemed a little hypocritical at time.
Pros
day time hours
Cons
services were being altered and it seems less support given to healthy transitioning families
Currently experiencing management issues
Biomedical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC29 November 2017
Work is demanding with little direction from management as to the organization's goals and approaches to these goals. Current practice of partnership programs is proving to be problematic. Management is unwilling to listen to input from their employees at any level. Their have been noted instances of management bully the employees into performing duties they are not comfortable with or not properly trained for. Some Unions appear to be supportive of the member, while others do not seem to assist the member. This is not the same as when I joined the employer years ago.
Pros
location has best views and climate in Canada
Cons
some areas have a high cost of living
Specific Department is great to work in
Medical Imaging Booking Clerk (MRI, FL, IR) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 October 2017
Unfortunate that we are not paid what were were before the Government clawed back our wages 15%, that was over 10 years ago. As a single person, the wage is barely livable.
Pros
cohesive group overall
Cons
not paid appropriately
A hospital environment
British Columbia (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 October 2017
Working in hospital gave me alot of wonderful skills and knowledge. There is always room to emrpove and advance in knowlegde. Especially as I was a casual worker, fortunately I was able to work on alot of medical and surgical floors. I came out with amazing skills and knowlegde.
Great experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 September 2017
Great experience, very knowledgeable staff & good team spirit.
Lots to learn and rotate through different areas of pharmacy. A lot ot offer many different people.
Addiction Worker
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 August 2017
Not very good pay for hard and stressful work. No advancement opportunities. The bottom feeders of health care. Workplace culture is stressful, busy, underappreciated by management, abused by clients.
A great view to health care on the island
Payroll (Current Employee) –  Victoria24 August 2017
I have learned that keeping organized and planning ahead as much as possible are the best ways to ensure success. The best part of the job is that I can leave it at work.
Can be very nice
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 August 2017
This really depends on the facility. Some seem to be run quite well and the staff and residents/patients appear happy. There are some facilities which are run poorly. Do you research and try to speak to some employees discreetly to find out if it is the facility for you.
good work life balance
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC10 July 2017
good work life balance, a busy work environment that will allow you flexibility with your schedule and an environment that challenges you without being redundant.
Pros
flexible
Productive, enjoyable place to work
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 June 2017
Good company to work for. Flexible hours. Good people to work with.
Learned lots, really enjoyed my job. Everyday I always learned something new and meet new people.
Secure jobs once you get into permanent position
Administrative Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC30 May 2017
For the seven years that I have worked for Vancouver Island Health Authority, I have felt very blessed. I've loved my job and the people I worked with, but it is time for a change.
My administrative position was in a fast-paced environment, where I have been met with many challenges, but being a resourceful and positive person, I was able to meet them head-on.
If you are looking for an administrative/clerical position, applying externally for casual positions is the way to go. I started in May 2010 as a casual an always had work. Be willing to train as an admin in several different areas so that you can build your seniority hour and are able to put your foot in the door for a chance at a regular position. You will then gain employer paid health and dental benefits, paid sick leave, paid vacation time and have access to employer associated counseling programs, etc...
It's been great, but I am definitely ready for a change of environment.
Good luck!!
excellent supportive, collaborative workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC17 April 2017
Love working here, the staff and management are awesome! Supportive environment. RN's that are knowledgeable and helpful. Teaching environment, Team work at it's best.
Challenging, but rewarding
Licensed Practical Nurse - Casual (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 March 2017
My day to day work schedule can be challenging, but I find the work I do rewarding. We are often short staffed, but we all work together as a team to provide excellent patient care
Pros
Fulfilling
Cons
Can be quite stressful
Pays Highest rate for hca
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2017
I enjoyed my time working with Viha. They procided excellent training. It is also a big priority to island health that their employees are safe while working.
I enjoyed working
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 February 2017
I preferred the 12 hour shifts and learnt something new everyday. Management varied on a person's personality and past experience. The culture varied on whom were working .The hardest part of the job was those who did not respect others and act professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job were the connections I had with patients, families and laughing with the staff.
Great place to Start a Career
Unit Clerk-paediatric ambulatory services VGH (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 January 2017
You can move around to different departments depending on experience. Gain so much knowledge about healthcare. Work with great people. Internally apply to other jobs you are interested in. Great benefits.
Pros
career environment, continuous learning
Cons
Not enough pay!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Vancouver Island Health Authority Reviews by Location