Vancouver General Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

Best health care center
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 26, 2016
I have got a great experience to work with the Patients and got familiar with EMR program and really enjoyed to be apart of a big organization and working as a team.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 4, 2015
A busy teaching learning hospital. Great people and work environment. Lots of learning opportunities to grow and advance.
Great experience with customer service and fun place to work
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCOctober 6, 2015
Fun place to work. I had to answer phones, and also work the information desks at VGH and Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, so I have gained a lot of experience with customer service. I also had to do "locating" which was dealing with emergency codes such as: cardiac arrests, and fire alarms. It was never boring working there as it was always different.
Pros
Great staff and interesting job
Cons
I worked a lot of overtime hours
Poor Organization on the operations end
Portfolio Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2015
The portfolios are impossible to keep under control. I feel it is because of a lack of willingness to reorganize them to make them more manageable . There is great potential but no one seems to want to do anything to improve the situation. Very disheartening.
Great work environment and great staff
Registered Nurse - General Surgery/ENT/GI (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 26, 2015
This is one of my favorite employers to date. I highly recommend working for Vancouver Coastal Health. They value and treat their staff with respect.
Pros
Work 12-14 days per month
Cons
Long Hours, very expensive city
It was a productive and fun work place even though it also came with a lot of stress but I handle stress well.
Facilitator for B.R.I.D.G.E.S (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BCMarch 21, 2015
BRIDGES stands for Building Recovery of Individual Dreams & Goals through Education & Support. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I made a difference in peoples lives and had great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to fix someone overnight and the stress that came with that. A typical day would be making the posters, handing out work sheets to the clients, studying the brain and preparing lectures for the class.
Pros
feeling you helped someone
Cons
a lot of prep work on my own time
Fun workplace
Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2015
I like the ward where I regularly work, the staff is pretty awesome.
Other wards potentially have grumpy and/or rude staff. It really depends on the ward you work as to whether working here is right for you.
Work place
Distribution Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 20, 2015
Transporting medical supplies to different units in the hospital as well as garbage and bio-hazardous waste and chemicals.

I'v learned to be more clean and sanitized after dealing with unsanitary supplies because the hospital carries the most disease.

Management is ok, although my shifts varies and not stable for me to live.

Co-Workers are amazing and always there to help when in doubt.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with heavy linen and dangerous and demanding.

I enjoy the job the is working with good people and always a positive vibe in that work community
Pros
good pay
Cons
dont get enough shift, sometimes once every 2 months
Practicum at VGH
Acute Care Practicum (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 2, 2014
I completed an Acute Care Practicum at VGH. I was trained to assess patients' condition, provide personal assistance (e.g. bathes, grooms, dresses, assist with meals, oral hygiene, lifting and transferring using mechanical lift and ceiling lift).
Stimulating project; publication opportunity
Research Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 13, 2014
Great project; TONS of data to wade through; great team of people; great leadership.
Productive and fun workplace.
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 30, 2014
I learned how to effectively use time management with all my daily tasks. My days consisted of running clinics, answering emails, answering calls, booking appointments, faxing, filing and working directly with the doctors and clinicians. The most enjoyable part of my day was running clinics because I got to communicate with all the patients. The hardest part of my job was when doctors would cancel clinics and i had to rearrange schedules and re-book patient appointments.
great people to work with
Release of Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 23, 2014
A typical day would be:
Depends when you come in you are usually assigned a job but depending on who is there you can be doing something else. For the last weeks I was working there I was training to be a Release Of Information clerk. I would do all the urgent requests from hospitals and doctor's offices, while answering the phones and as well as photocopying.
I learned time management, organization, paying attention to detail and communicating with co workers.
Management was a bit tricky in the beginning there was a lot of turnovers but the last manager we had she was really good. She listened to us and tried to meet our demands as best as she could.
I loved most of my co-workers I am friends with some of them still.
The hardest part of the job for me was getting a raise and moving up. I felt like it was a job that you couldn't grow and advance in.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people as I mentioned and also there was some problem solving which made the job interesting.
good working environment and helpful co-workers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 14, 2014
I am currently assisting Physiotherapist with Rehab for patients.
Dream Job
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 21, 2013
You're taught with a lot of things from the different challenges you face everyday. Co workers are very nice and are willing to help you with anything that you need to learn. The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of your shift knowing that you helped save someones life today. This job is probably the most rewarding workplace I've ever had.
Pros
learning something new everyday
Surgical Float Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 13, 2013
When I get to the floor I was called into usually I write report /take report then off to the races by 715. I do a full head to toe assessment first then medication administration along with getting patients prepared for any diagnostic procedures/surgeries scheduled. Throughout the day there are numerous things to get done, such as dressing/VAC changes, IV starts, charting, and emergency situations. I learn something new everyday like last night shift I prepared two patients for a kidney transplant and did a lot of teaching with them about what it will be like for them when they return from the OR. My co-workers are extremely supportive if there are any concerns, questions and everyone helps everyone in a "team" nursing approach. The hardest part of the job is giving patients enough time to communicate effectively. I always wish I had more time to sit down and really get to know these people better but there is always the balance that has to take place in a busy surgical environment. My favourite part of the day is doing assessments and or procedures where I can talk to the patients and listen to interesting stories about themselves.
Pros
team work, supportive, caring, compassionate
Cons
patient to nurse ratio
having fun to assist the client in acute care
Clinical (Student) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 29, 2013
Patience and Dedicated to your job all the time.Assisting the Nurse and monitoring their Blood pressure
Pros
coffe break
Cons
n/a
A wonderful feeling
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 20, 2013
Working at Vancouver general hospital was a wonderful feeling walking into those doors every day. It was my dream job and i loved knowing that i helped the healthcare individuals every day i worked by transcribing all doctors orders, helping the nurses, and interacting with patients and their loved ones. I learned how to balance many tasks while prioritizing.
satisfied with my current employer
Hemodialysis Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2013
Day starts with nursing huddle, ongoing updates and events that concerns the patients.NOrmally patient's treatment starts at 7 am running 4 hours into the dialysis machines. I am satisfied with my current relationship with my co workers. The hardest part of the job is the complexity of the cases. Enjoyable part of the job is knowing that at the end of the day you were able to extend help to another human being in prolonging another day in their life.
Pros
cross trained in different areas involving dialysis
Cons
daily short shifts
Great
Business Consultant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 6, 2013
Fun company. Startup in Kota, India. Now closed operations.
Fast paced work environment- lots of learning opportunities.
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 7, 2013
Excellent place to work with many exciting learning opportunities. Face paced work environment.

4.3