PLEASE NOTE - If you meet the profile below and would like to be part of our growing organization, we invite you apply for this position through the online application on the following link:
Please also note that your resume and cover letter must be uploaded in either PDF or Word format. Email applications will not be accepted.
Vancouver Film School programs focus on industries that use moving images, graphics, sound and text as fundamental components for communication, information and story. VFS programs regularly and continually evolve in response to the current industry methodology, technology and need. VFS offers world recognized, full-time, one-year programs in Film Production, 3D Animation & Visual Effects, Classical Animation, Digital Character Animation, Sound Design, Writing, Acting, Makeup Design, Digital Design, Game Design, Foundation Visual Art & Design, and Programming for Games, Web & Mobile. These one-year programs are intensive, focused on the field of study and immerse students in industry-like settings and situations in order to best prepare them for work in their chosen field.
VFS is currently accepting applications for a full-time position of Technical Teaching Assistant in our newest program, Programming for Games, Web & Mobile.
This highly rewarding appointment is ideal for a junior technologist interested in gaining experience and helping to develop this new program. As a member of the school’s core staff, you will share your knowledge in a creative learning environment, helping to deliver the curriculum content and assisting the next generation of technically-proficient professionals. All of this will occur in a very dynamic and exciting area where students are given the ability to learn core programming and development skills, while you get to share in fostering that, and maintain a standard Monday to Friday work week of 40 hours.
Reporting to the Department Head and working directly with and in support of the Course Instructors, the Technical Teaching Assistant will provide professional, expert, and courteous front-line educational support to all VFS students within the technical courses they are assigned. The Technical Teaching Assistant is able to work with small groups of students on special projects, help the Course Instructor better know the students, and may assist students in utilizing a variety of instructional resources. The Technical Teaching Assistant will have a basic understanding of a particular area of expertise in the program discipline and who is highly organized, energetic, and is a positive self-starter who thrives in an evolving and fast-paced environment.
- Assist and support the Course Instructors in the delivery of course curriculum within the assigned program discipline.
- Attend lectures given by the Course Instructors whom they are assisting.
- Provide general class preparation assistance to Course Instructors including photocopying of course materials and assist with development of course materials when appropriate.
- Assist the Course Instructors with evaluating and marking student assignments based on the Course Instructor’s instructions and the program department’s policies and procedures.
- Act as the liaison between students and Course Instructors and assist students in the classroom and outside of class time.
- Assist and inform students of the procedures for completing and submitting class work.
- Troubleshoot any technical problems students are encountering and act as a liaison between students and the IT department when required.
- Assist the department with submitting student work to festivals and industry.
- Perform other duties as required by the department.
Skills, Experience, and Education
- Working knowledge of C# is a requirement.
- Experience building and deploying Unity games for iOS is a big plus.
- Experience with indie-sized teams (three to six developers) a plus.
- Working knowledge of C++ is a major plus.
- Working knowledge of UDK, Kismet, Unrealscript.
- Working knowledge of Maya and Photoshop.
- Some experience with basic XNA, 3D Math, and simple AI would be an advantage.
- A degree, diploma, or certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution or a graduate of VFS in one of the current disciplines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and initiative with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Highly organized team player with a flexible approach and works well under pressure.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our company, visit our website at www.vfs.edu.