Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Work-loads and assignments there of require evaluation and assessment.
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Operating Rooms31 August 2017
Working conditions are such that there are not enough staff members assigned for planned work-load (elective surgeries). For example inadequate personnel are assigned when executing procedures such as a complex case where nursing support needs to be provided for anesthesia as well as for the surgical team performing surgery (elective or emergent).
There is one anesthesia assistant available on day shift and one for partial coverage during the evening shift. This coverage does help nurses and anesthesia but does not adequately provide coverage on an elective surgery day when there are two or more acute surgeries commencing simultaneously.
Educational opportunities are provided and some funds are available for studies off the hospital campus.
Staff are encouraged to participate in team-building activities when off-duty and these are successful events with very spirited involvement by the nurses working in surgical services.
Personnel are assigned to specialty services according to their skills and interests. Individuals may ask for assignments where they may expand their skills and knowledge according to their educational needs. All of the Clinical Resource Team Leaders are very capable of supplying support for those who wish to expand their ability to perform scrub and circulating roles. Strong support is provided for these efforts by the OR Educator. The OR itself is a dynamic and challenging environment suited to those who wish to test their learning abilities and stamina.
However leadership roles from amongst the "ranks" should be encouraged. Other than
  more... the extra responsibility of charge duties
on the week-ends, evening and night shifts there is no opportunity or incentive to take on this onerous task which is not adequately compensated in monetary terms when comparing the work-load and degree of stress involved.
Pros
Excellent peer support and rapport.
Cons
Inadequate staff assigned to execute planned work-loads.
productive
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2017
All employees makes the place of work more enjoyable . Vancouver Coastal Health has good management good work culture.The place where I am working have good environment. I learned to be compassionate with every body.and team work culture is there.all employees working there are helping hands to each other.I did not have hard time while working there.
live work place and guided suppport
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2017
excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.
Pros
free snacks and teas
Cons
favourism
Not good for someone who wants job security.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver21 June 2017
Don't become their employee if you have a disability or get sick often because they will find any way to fire you. They will persecute you and interrogate you on your illness. Then they will fire you instead of supporting you to go on disability. Work for someone else!!!
A great place to work if you're in the right atmosphere
Mental Health and Addictions Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 June 2017
I enjoy working where I do. I like that I have long-term job security, but my salary is not adequate enough to live comfortably in the Lower Mainland.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough pay
challenging management
Practice Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2017
experience with the practice support program is perhaps not indicative of VCH as a whole.
many challenges with management in this particular office, which is ultimately why i left VCH
I love the people
Public health nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
I love the people I work with, they are dedicated to supporting our community health objectives. I get a lot of satisfaction from working with our multidisciplinary team. Seeing health care from other health professional's viewpoints helps me to improve my practice.
The issue arise due to the size of the organization. The frontline workers needs are often neglected by management because they are so far removed from our work situations. We need more support from management to meet our personal needs. We work with difficult populations and sometimes suffer greatly personally due to the atrocities we encounter. That added to our own personal life issues, brings addition of stress to our lives. We are often not supported in taking care of our own needs. It is a shame when we need time to look after our own families we are confronted by obstacles. Often we are denied time off which is ironic when we are caring for other peoples families in our work.
I have worked for VCH for so many years because of the satisfaction I get from the clients and my colleagues, I wish I could feel more supported from the managers.
Pros
the people in which I work
Cons
home life not supported
Great Place to Work
Residential Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC4 May 2017
This is a very high energy job and you are constantly on the go which I love. There is never a dull moment and I grew very close to my co-workers and the residence. I will truly miss them all.
Pros
You can pick up as many hours as you like
Cons
The work load is pretty hard at times as we were short staffed a lot of the time.
Poor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 April 2017
I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.
benefits
Cons
micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.
Large Healthcare Organization
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
I liked best the team that i worked with, everyone pulled together and supported each other. Good vacation to start. Re-orgs within the department made us spin our wheels a bit.
Hard to get into but so rewarding
Accommodation Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 February 2017
The job can be hard at times but it is well worth the experience and confidence it gives you when you move on to something else. The people are very nice and if you need to ask a question they will take the time to answer because they want you to succeed.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard to get into
Too many deductions
Administrative Assistant 4 (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 February 2017
Love my job but the workload is massive and never ending for a take home pay of $1,000.00 every two weeks, not enough to live on in Vancouver.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Massive workload, no support, unable to work overtime hours, too many deductions to live in Vancouver
Good company to work for
Crisis Intervention Nurse, AHBT (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
Worked 10 + years for Vancouver Coastal Health, overall been a good company to work for. Respectful towards their employees. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients
Good Job poor management
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC22 November 2016
Scheduling visits for chw's (psw's) to visit clients in their homes.
Filling sick calls and vacation requests.
Ensuring chw's get paid properly and coding hours.
Adjust visit times with multiple considerations.
Including Client preferences, client needs such as time specific medication, over-time, minimum daily hours for chw's, and avoiding giving chw's split shifts.
Working with supervisors to determine the best schedule for clients.
Helped create a new system to organize client visits more efficiently reducing the total driving distance for chw's and the total number of chw's who visit any one client.
Pros
We have to work evenings and weekends.
Cons
Free parking is over 1km away.
Friendly and fun workplace in the hospital
Biomedical Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2016
Nice work environment.
I get the 9 to 5 regular work hours.
Manager was really considerate and helpful.
Co-workers are friendly and funny.
Fun place to work for
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC8 August 2016
Enjoy helping clients with all care, interesting life experiences from them. Management easy to talk to, co-workers working as a team. Hardest part of my job is, leaving my job, as I am relocating in Chilliwack BC. The most rewarding part of my job is leaving with client happy,content and safe in their home.
Allowed to be autonomous in work
Wound Ostomy Clinical Educator Pixalere Program (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 July 2016
As a Clinical Educator I was able to work within a multdisciplinary team while still be able to carry out my work independantly.
fun working
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2016
worked at 2 hospitals as an admin assistant.
hard to get a full time position
co-workers were great at 2 locations I worked
Pros
good working hours
Cons
hard to get full time positions
Productive and quiet environment to work in
Health System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
I independently created varies reports to my leader and doctors in hospitals, I also helped to upgrade an old healthcare system to a new one. I attended weekly meeting and director meetings to jot down minutes. I also independently worked on a bed fleet project by contacting vendors and creating reports using Excel and PowerPoint. I was in VCH for eight months and I learned how to effectively communicate with my co-workers and managers and how to ask for tasks when I am finished. My co-workers were really helpful and friendly when I often asked questions. The hardest part of the job was starting as my first internship and I was trying to get used to the working routine, it did not take me long to get familiar with the working environment. The best part of the job is the location, it is located in downtown Vancouver and it is really convinient to eat and drive to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BC28 June 2016
VCH is a great place to work. Its flexible and very respectful. The people that I work with are amazing. The management is incredible
Pros
Flexible
Cons
There are none

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.