Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Great learning environment
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2018
I have enjoyed my time working for this company in the last 10 years. Working environment is comfortable and employees do their work effectively. I've learned to be vocal about my needs and wants.
My day
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BC18 January 2018
My typical day at work include checking the slate for what lies ahead for my to organize my time. As the only person in my department I'm responsible for decom, sorting, wrapping, sterilizing and putting away. I've worked part-time for 6 years. Most days are very routine, being in a smaller hospital there's a relationship with the whole team. My family is looking to move to the Pentiction area in a few months.
Great People
Senior Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Excellent pay, benefits and people that you work with. At certain times it can get very busy so it is important to stay very organized. The hardest part of the job is can get very demanding as we enter the healthcare environment to help, and one learns that it is a team effort.
Good workplace culture
Employed Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 December 2017
The mixed acuity unit has a very supportive work culture. Resources are readily available. I take on 75% of a nursing workload and complete tasks such as assessments, documentation, medication administration, development of care plans, and collaborating with other members of the health care team to meet the patient's needs.
Friendly environment, great staff
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Whistler, BC22 December 2017
Great trauma facility to work in. Site is small and you get to know pretty much everyone that works in the building. Many Orthopedic doctors cycle through making it for interesting radiology work.
Needs improvement
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 December 2017
Issues with organization culture, I'd almost go so far as to say toxic. Huge disconnect between directors and management and the front line staff. Healthcare is hard, there is not a lot of spare money or time, but improved leadership and management could help make the most of what is available.
avareage
Child & Youth Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2017
Start at 9 am. Job is stressful and everyone at work seem tense. Job demands are hard to meet. Working under stressful atmosphere. It inhibits your capacity to work to your full potential.
Pros
helping clients
Cons
stressful work load
Stressful enviornment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 October 2017
very busy offices
I definitely have learned to multitask as management believes one person can perform duties that would normal take two people.
Workplace can be negative as management is unable to deal with staffing issues adequately.
Met a few great staff members
Dealing with the public.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Stressful work environment
Great staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2017
Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career
Work-loads and assignments there of require evaluation and assessment.
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Operating Rooms31 August 2017
Working conditions are such that there are not enough staff members assigned for planned work-load (elective surgeries). For example inadequate personnel are assigned when executing procedures such as a complex case where nursing support needs to be provided for anesthesia as well as for the surgical team performing surgery (elective or emergent).
There is one anesthesia assistant available on day shift and one for partial coverage during the evening shift. This coverage does help nurses and anesthesia but does not adequately provide coverage on an elective surgery day when there are two or more acute surgeries commencing simultaneously.
Educational opportunities are provided and some funds are available for studies off the hospital campus.
Staff are encouraged to participate in team-building activities when off-duty and these are successful events with very spirited involvement by the nurses working in surgical services.
Personnel are assigned to specialty services according to their skills and interests. Individuals may ask for assignments where they may expand their skills and knowledge according to their educational needs. All of the Clinical Resource Team Leaders are very capable of supplying support for those who wish to expand their ability to perform scrub and circulating roles. Strong support is provided for these efforts by the OR Educator. The OR itself is a dynamic and challenging environment suited to those who wish to test their learning abilities and stamina.
However leadership roles from amongst the "ranks" should be encouraged. Other than
  more... the extra responsibility of charge duties
on the week-ends, evening and night shifts there is no opportunity or incentive to take on this onerous task which is not adequately compensated in monetary terms when comparing the work-load and degree of stress involved.
Pros
Excellent peer support and rapport.
Cons
Inadequate staff assigned to execute planned work-loads.
productive
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2017
All employees makes the place of work more enjoyable . Vancouver Coastal Health has good management good work culture.The place where I am working have good environment. I learned to be compassionate with every body.and team work culture is there.all employees working there are helping hands to each other.I did not have hard time while working there.
live work place and guided suppport
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2017
excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.
Pros
free snacks and teas
Cons
favourism
Not good for someone who wants job security.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver21 June 2017
Don't become their employee if you have a disability or get sick often because they will find any way to fire you. They will persecute you and interrogate you on your illness. Then they will fire you instead of supporting you to go on disability. Work for someone else!!!
A great place to work if you're in the right atmosphere
Mental Health and Addictions Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 June 2017
I enjoy working where I do. I like that I have long-term job security, but my salary is not adequate enough to live comfortably in the Lower Mainland.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough pay
challenging management
Practice Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2017
experience with the practice support program is perhaps not indicative of VCH as a whole.
many challenges with management in this particular office, which is ultimately why i left VCH
I love the people
Public health nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
I love the people I work with, they are dedicated to supporting our community health objectives. I get a lot of satisfaction from working with our multidisciplinary team. Seeing health care from other health professional's viewpoints helps me to improve my practice.
The issue arise due to the size of the organization. The frontline workers needs are often neglected by management because they are so far removed from our work situations. We need more support from management to meet our personal needs. We work with difficult populations and sometimes suffer greatly personally due to the atrocities we encounter. That added to our own personal life issues, brings addition of stress to our lives. We are often not supported in taking care of our own needs. It is a shame when we need time to look after our own families we are confronted by obstacles. Often we are denied time off which is ironic when we are caring for other peoples families in our work.
I have worked for VCH for so many years because of the satisfaction I get from the clients and my colleagues, I wish I could feel more supported from the managers.
Pros
the people in which I work
Cons
home life not supported
Great Place to Work
Residential Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC4 May 2017
This is a very high energy job and you are constantly on the go which I love. There is never a dull moment and I grew very close to my co-workers and the residence. I will truly miss them all.
Pros
You can pick up as many hours as you like
Cons
The work load is pretty hard at times as we were short staffed a lot of the time.
Poor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 April 2017
I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.
benefits
Cons
micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.
Large Healthcare Organization
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
I liked best the team that i worked with, everyone pulled together and supported each other. Good vacation to start. Re-orgs within the department made us spin our wheels a bit.
Hard to get into but so rewarding
Accommodation Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 February 2017
The job can be hard at times but it is well worth the experience and confidence it gives you when you move on to something else. The people are very nice and if you need to ask a question they will take the time to answer because they want you to succeed.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard to get into

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.