Vancouver Coastal Health Authority

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority Employee Reviews in Canada

Staffing Clerk
staffing clerk (Former Employee) –  vghAugust 5, 2016
Very busy, and constantly changing as often you don't have enough staff to fill shifts. Learned that you need to be adaptable and flexible in an ever changing minute by minute day. Co-workers often are a great source of information, and working together for the common goal is what I liked the most.
Pros
great team members
Cons
management can sometimes be a challenge
You know you are needed
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 28, 2016
Healthcare comes with a multitude of different roles, all which play an important part in the daily lives of patients and your team.
Benefits
Cons
demanding
Enjoyed the opportunity to expand in my knowledge and experience.
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 16, 2014
My job was all about multitasking various duties, such as printing needed materials, answering the phone/redirecting calls, answering colleagues' questions, setting up groups (booking rooms, confirming attendance with clients, preparing manuals and CD's for use within group, keeping Excel waitlist up-to-date), scoring and entering self-report measures in computer program, running reports and collecting stats. I also took meeting minutes, as well as maintained supplies and kept electronics in working order. Not to be overlooked is that I trained the new secretary in her position in the psychiatry clinics. I provided support with client appointments, etc. and transcription.
I actually enjoyed the adrenaline rush (if I may put it this way) that came from accomplishing various duties and being productive. I specifically enjoyed learning and applying desktop publishing skills, used to prepare manuals and working with Excel spreadsheets.
Unfortunately, I found management personnel to have a high turnover rate. On the one hand, I missed certain individuals that left; on the other hand, I enjoyed sharing information in order to bring new ones up to speed on my work duties and program procedures. I enjoyed working many years with certain ones of my colleagues.
What I found to be the hardest part of my job was the sometimes unpleasant work atmosphere that arose from communication difficulties between some of my colleagues. I personally enjoyed a good work relationship with each of them though.
I truly loved my job and would never have left! But I eventually found myself alone in BC, without
  more... any family members nearby, all of them having moved to Ontario.  less
Advancement
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 13, 2014
Excellent place to work with room for advancement and exposure to many different areas/departments.
Enjoyable profession. Alway learning new things.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2014
My typical day at work is learning a new system and adjusting to a different set up.

My co-workers are very helpful in my transition into a new position.

The hardest part of my job is learning how to direct phone calls.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have a job that I feel is important.
Pros
enjoy my job
Cons
my job is becoming redundant
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 21, 2014
Enjoyable place to work with daily variety of job requirements.
Learn to manage your stress
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2014
- Check Orders
- Learned to use all kind of tools
- Fast paced environment
A challenging workplace where one has to be able to think and act quickly and efficently
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, B.CJanuary 20, 2014
I have learned a lot from working at VCH. Its a challenging workplace with many different things that may come up on a daily basis. Being able to manage efficiently is important as no day is the same. Some days are highly stressful and challenging and coming from a place of love and compassion is important.
Great place to work!
Ambulatory Care Booking Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rehab Services, Vancouver HospitalDecember 29, 2013
I loved my job at Rehab Services, Vancouver Hospital. I had the best boss and co-workers! The only reason I left the position was to move to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Excellent teamwork and family oriented workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 6, 2013
Busy and sometimes exhausting but rewarding in the end. Had an opportunity to work with a different mix of people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Such a diverse range of patients with a rich vibrant culture which helped me not only to grow professionally, but also as a human being.
Offer Good part-time positions and a casual, yet professional work environment
Registered Nurse - Home Health Care - Casual (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 16, 2013
Overall, a good experience and will be difficult to work outside of this Health Authority. Excellent co-workers, very professional and knowledgeable in their field of Home Care. Unfortunately continuing education is becoming more difficult to be approved time for and management over the years has become more and more disconnected from the realities of providing nursing care in a community setting. Staffing shortages and unreasonable workloads have become an ongoing issue.
Pros
great co-workers, strong collaborative team environment
Cons
short-staffing and unsafe workloads
technician
Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 11, 2013
Overall a good company, but management can pressure employees often n lack of staff n coverage can result in poor productivity
Speech Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 7, 2013
I worked in one of the community sites as a speech pathologist and had a great experience working with my peers and other healthcare professionals.
Pros
limited traveling within the community, flexible scheduling of appointments
Cons
limited opportunities to advance
Productive and fun workpalce
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2013
Shifts are varied, very busy and fun to work, you learn a lot. Nice management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when the computer is down. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get the job done and satisfied.
Pros
professional environment
Cons
busy
was a great 6 years but now retireing
care aide (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 11, 2013
great place to work at loved it ahd a good rootin.learned how loveing the elderly can be.management was great.co-workers fantastic.feeding the ones who didnt want to eat.accomplishing a good days work
A company that provides the necessary environment that promotes confidence in their employees to grow as professionals.
Downtown Community Health Centre (Former Employee) –  East Vancouver, BCNovember 22, 2012
Being a new LPN it can be intimidating and overwhelming to be introduced into a new health care setting. During my time at DCHC I was welcomed as part of the team immediately.The passion that exuded from the professionals I had the pleasure to learn from and work with was wonderful. A typical day at work consisted of exceptional client care with the use of significant knowledge and judgement skills. I was able to use my full nursing scope as well as expand and implement my better understanding of prevention and holistic techniques based on the individual. My co-workers were encouraging, supportive, knowledgeable and compassionate professionals. At times the job is overwhelming because there are many outlets to learn and do all at once but for me that is very enjoyable to be consistantley challenged and always learning something new.
Fun, Productive, Challenging
Senior Consultant, Strategic Process Optimization (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2012
VCHA is a massive organization with many elite teams working in a variety of decision support aspects. Learning and growing opportunities are endless.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
heavy work load
excellent team work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2012
lots of leartning scope and be lucky to work under vch.
good team work and great care team.
Pros
good team work
Cons
so fur nothing
Overall a good place to work
Inventory Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2012
This is a union environment so the work day is highly controlled. For the most part the staff and management work well together.

I would not consider the job hard but has it moments that are satisfying on a personal level. Quite often this comes from being able to be a part of a team of people that work toward making peoples stay in the hospital as relaxing as possible.

4.2