The 4th annual Vancouver Christmas Market (VCM) is an authentic outdoor German Christmas Market featuring unique holiday shopping, seasonal music and entertainment, and delicious traditional food and drinks. Located in the downtown core of Vancouver, the Christmas Market will be open to the public from November 22nd to December 24th 2013.
Detailed Job Description:
We are looking for an experienced event professional with a can-do attitude, abundance of energy and ability to seamlessly integrate into the Vancouver Christmas Market project. Under the direction of the General Manager, the Operations Manager is accountable for the day to day operations of the Vancouver Christmas Market including vendor supervision, cost controls, budgeting and active overall management.
The ideal candidate is available full-time and possesses the ability to easily build rapport and relationships.
Practical problem solving skills compared with an out of the box thinking approach are fundamentals to find practical and efficient solutions. In addition the candidate has a passion for European Christmas traditions and outdoor events.
This contract role starts as soon as possible till December 31, 2013 with the possibility to become long-term for the right candidate.
- Work closely with the General Manager to manage, coordinate and execute the entire Vancouver Christmas Market concept
- Collaborate with VCM Accounting Team and connect for reports & statistic numbers
- Contact person for any organizational and operational issues
- Oversee on-site event management
- Collaborate with the General Manager to manage all cost aspects during preparation, set-up and market period
- Collaborate with VCM Core Team on any organizational and logistical issues during preparation and event phase
Vendors, Supplier, Licenses & Permits:
- Build rapport and liaise with vendors, venue, city inspectors (licensing & permitting)
- Coordinate with suppliers (architect, hut builder, water, power, light&sound, carousel, waste, sanitary, cash registers, mulled wine producer etc.)
PR, Marketing and Social Media:
- Monitor the execution of integrated advertising campaign including media relations, advertising, online presence, direct mailings and social media campaign
- Supervise the execution of VCM sponsoring concept during the entire marketing campaign
- Coordinate and communicate with relevant agencies and suppliers
Human Resources / Staff Management:
- Collaborate with General Manager and HR Manager to ensure operational functionality of all event areas until market opening and during the market period: infrastructure, entertainment, ticketing, vendors, staffing, marketing etc.
Statistics / Reports:
- Generate statistics and reports during market period
- Evaluate results on a daily basis and implement changes according budgets, visitor numbers and promotion response
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5+ years event management experience with large scale public events combined with a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Business, Event Management or Hospitality
- Experience in festival planning and logistics, vendor management and customer service
- Sound knowledge in project management, budgeting, concept development and critical path planning
- Ability to build long lasting relationships with vendors, visitors, suppliers, government authorities, third party agencies, staff, volunteers etc.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage a large and variable work load, ensuring timely and accurate completion of assigned work in a fast paced environment
- Dedicated and reliable professional with entrepreneurial thinking
- Team player with strong business acumen
- Proficiency in MS including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Fluent in English, second language (German) is an asset
- Full availability (40+ hours per week) between now and December 31st and the ability to work for extended hours during days, nights and weekends up to 7 days a week
- Access and willingness to use personal laptop and phone for the project
Salary: competitive contract package with the possibility to become long-term for the right candidate.
If interested, please send us your application incl. resume and cover letter. We are excited about your interest in VCM. Please understand that due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we will only be in touch with candidates who meet our profile.
Indeed - 16 months ago