Join our team, and make a difference!
Nestled in the heart of beautiful Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium is a nonprofit society internationally recognized as a leading visitor attraction, and one of Canada's foremost centres for aquatic education, research and conservation.
Reporting to the Water Quality Manager, the Water Quality Technician ensures the highest standards of water quality for marine life environments through best practices and regular collection, testing and analysis of water samples. The Water Quality Technician maintains laboratory equipment, supplies and safety standards.
Assists with the analysis and maintenance of water quality standards throughout the Aquarium that minimally meet and in most cases exceed professional standard guidelines by:
- Supporting best management practices in daily water quality; monitoring, testing and analysis;
- Performing routine collection and analysis of water samples; analysis includes but not limited to; physical, inorganic and organic constituents of water using a range of portable instrumentation, chemical methodologies, laboratory equipment and procedures;
- Assisting in collecting, analyzing and reporting environmental monitoring data;
- Assisting with water quality instrument calibrations;
- Maintaining water quality equipment and laboratory: inventories, supplies, and ensures a safe, clean work space;
- Assisting with inventory control for Laboratory reagents and other supplies.
- Promptly aiding in urgent situations; associated with water quality practices;
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of Environmental Management System (EMS) protocols;
- Maintains organizational safety standards;
- Follow WHMIS and chemical spill guidelines within a laboratory environment;
- Performs additional duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Marine Science, Biology or Chemistry degree or equivalent;
- Strong understanding of freshwater and seawater water quality parameters;
- 1-2 years’ experience in water quality management: preferred in an aquarium/zoo environment;
- 1 year practical lab experience operating colourimeters and spectrophotometers and other water quality analytical equipment used to test fresh and salt water;
- WHIMIS Certification an asset.
- Basic MS Office Skills: Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and SharePoint;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent record keeping skills;
- Strong written/verbal communication and internal customer service skills;
- Ability to work in a team and self-direct with minimal supervision;
- Ability to follow through on Managerial direction.
- Job requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time;
- Flexibility and availability in schedule are required, will be on call, and occasionally work night, weekend and holiday shifts;
- Job requires employee to safely lift and move heavy objects on a daily basis – must be able to lift 40lbs. to chest level.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please visit us at the link below to apply to this exciting opportunity:
The Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre is a self-supporting, non-profit association dedicated to the conservation of aquatic life...