Join our team, and make a difference!
Nestled in the heart of beautiful Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium is a nonprofit society internationally recognized as a leading visitor attraction, and one of Canada's foremost centres for aquatic education, research and conservation.
Marine debris poses a significant threat to the health of our oceans and the wildlife which inhabit them. We are seeking a passionate relationship builder to grow the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup program by extending the programs' reach, increasing individuals participating in cleanups as well as growing education outreach.
This position is responsible for developing and achieving program goals and sponsorship requirements through building, developing and leading a strong Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup (GCSC) team. The Manager, GCSC plays a critical role in finding the resources to help grow the GCSC program and is driven to increase annual participation numbers. This position works closely with internal and external partners to build public awareness around the importance of keeping our waterways pristine.
Leads and manages the GSCS team by overseeing the delivery of and execution of the GCSC programs, ensuring funding deliverables are met and appropriate fiscal and organizational controls are deployed in communities throughout Canada by:
- Working closely with External Relations and Finance with respect to grant applications and grant reporting;
- Ensuring programs are sufficiently funded by working with employees to prepare proposals, pursue sponsorship and other funding sources, maintain existing sponsorship relationships and oversee timely reporting requirements to funders;
- Broadening and strengthening the relationship of GCSC program with relevant stakeholders and pursue new partnerships;
- Working with necessary departments, particularly Communications and Marketing Departments, and with sponsors to establish, implement, and evaluate the media plan; including print ads; press relations, media events and TV spots, to ensure maximum media exposure for the project and its partners;
- Attending key clean-up events as the main spokesperson.
Develops strategic and operational plans for the department that supports the department and organizational goals and objectives by:
- Working with team to plan and track year-long deliverables, and project timelines in accordance with organizational policy and standards;
- Conducting regular review and evaluation of program delivery and providing recommendations for departmental efficiency and improvement;
- Ensuring staffing levels and deployment across the department(s) are at optimum levels to support effective and efficient service delivery;
- Ensuring compliance to Aquarium wide, EMS and other Health & Safety policies by all team members;
- Establishing metrics for the department(s) along with the VP, ensuring all team members clearly understand the metrics, and what is expected of them;
- Reviewing and reporting results monthly, and ensuring timely escalation of issues/obstacles/trends to the VP with recommendations/solutions;
- Reviewing and approving time and attendance for direct reports prior to established deadlines;
- Participating in the development of the annual budget, and managing department expenses at or below budget.
Provides management, coaching and mentoring to Direct Reports and extended team members and contributes to and fosters the development of the team by:
- Creating an environment conducive to individual development, productivity, and achievement while ensuring open lines of communication;
- Ensuring that employees are well organized, sufficiently trained/cross-trained to perform their responsibilities, developed to their potential and deployed in a manner that permits a cost-effective operation;
- Planning and facilitating individual touch bases (ITBs), group touch bases (GTBs), and skill-building sessions where appropriate;
- Providing direction, guidance and support to team members and motivating staff to achieve a high level of performance and productivity;
- Establishing performance objectives/goals, reviewing progress throughout the year, and completing formal performance reviews for direct reports as required;
- Coaching and developing direct reports and entire team to achieve strategic growth objectives;
- Recognizing and rewarding success, and managing poor performance;
- Developing and obtaining agreement on development plans for all direct reports, recommending training courses and seminars where appropriate;
- Recruiting, hiring and promoting team members in accordance with standard Aquarium policies;
- Monitoring and controlling expenditures to ensure that program standards are met while continuing to maintain monthly budget. Tracking budget and maintaining financial records throughout the year.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Promptly aiding in Emergency protocols;
- Maintaining, supporting and following organizational health and safety standards;
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations by supporting our Environmental Management Systems (EMS) protocols;
- Performing additional duties as required.
Education and Experience
- College or Bachelor's degree in Science, Education, Conservation or related field required;
- Three to five years management/supervisory experience and proven strong leadership skills;
- Experience in direct action conservation programs, communications, fundraising and volunteer recruitment;
- Experience building and maintaining a diverse portfolio of contacts;
- Valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 an asset.
- Leadership skills and strength in hiring and developing staff; demonstrated ability to lead and mentor staff;
- Strong project management and time management skills;
- Demonstrated skills at relationship building and maintaining sponsorship and partnership relations;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to liaise effectively with senior management, peers, subordinates and the public;
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and track budgets and business plans.
- French language skills would be an asset.
- Flexible hours required at peak times;
- Job requires employee to work at a computer for the majority of the time;
- Some weekend work is required;
- Incumbent is expected to participate in clean-up projects and potentially be exposed to associated risks including weather exposure, shoreline dangers, and contact with various types of waste;
- Some travel is required.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please visit us at the link below to apply to this exciting opportunity:
We look forward to receiving your application!
Indeed - 5 months ago