Job Title: Banquet Cook Department: Kitchen
Employment Status: Casual Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work in a unique environment and become part of a dynamic team. This position is a casual position with flexible hours and offers competitive wages. Under the guidance of the Chef de Partie the Banquet Chef works closely with the kitchen staff to effectively produce food for Banquets and Events. Some responsibilities of this role are to perform assigned tasks while adhering to the food safe practices and established culinary standards.
Assists in the production of food for Banquets and Events by:
- Producing daily production sheets required to ensure the production of the food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion;
- Keeping overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense;
- Ensuring adherence to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistenly and ensure all quality standards are met;
- Preparing and cook foods of all types, for special guests or functions;
- Preparing food for Banquets and Events, following specifications on Banquet Event Orders;
- Coordinating all food orders between stations and food servers;
- Participating in the production and plating of all food service areas;
- Preparing and displaying buffet food items according to the Vancouver Aquarium standards;
- Assisting in the direction and correction of food presentation and portioning for all Banquet functions;
- Being able to recognize quality standards in fresh vegetables, fish, dairy, and meat products in order to ensure high quality of food;
- Ensuring that food are stored and prepared properly in order to maintain high quality and safety standards;
- Using Production Charts as specified by Vancouver Aquarium’s standards;
- Working the Banquet food station as scheduled.
Maintains a safe, sanitary and organized work area, and kitchen by:
- Ensuring that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with Vancouver Aquarium and government Food Safety guidelines;
- Ensuring cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in all refrigerators and storage areas on a daily basis to ensure high standards of freshness;
- Ensuring food is stored and organized in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality;
- Following food safe regulations and company health and safety regulations for work areas, which includes all counter tops, utensils, equipment, and refrigeration;
- Following work safe procedures such as wearing proper shoes, and clothes, using proper guards and lockouts, and utilizing proper lifting techniques;
- Ensuring other kitchen staff follows proper food handling, storage, and sanitation;
- Ensuring that the breakdown of buffets and plated meals, and the storing of food and equipment is properly done at the end of each meal period;
- Practicing safe work habits at all times to avoid possible injury to self or other employees;
- Knowing the location and operation of all fire extinguishing equipment;
- Providing feedback to staff to ensure prepared food meets the Vancouver Aquarium’s standards.
- Understanding the banquet customer's expectations as related to food quality and presentation;
- Responding to and handling guest inquiries, problems and complaints;
- Establishing and maintaining open, collaborative relationships with staff.
- Actively participates in training of culinary skills;
- Being able to support any position in the Kitchen that needs assistance;
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols;
- Maintains and supports organizational safety standards;
- Other Duties as Required.
Education and Experience
- 2 – 3 years culinary experience in a high volume food service establishment is required;
- Proof of Food Safe Certificate is required;
- Proof of Hepatitis A shot is required.
- Extensive knowledge of menus and the preparation required that would meet hotel standards;
- Proficiency in the following cooking techniques: charbroiling, poaching, deep-frying, sauté, braising, roasting and par-cooking;
- Extensive knowledge of herbs and spices and the proper use of each;
- Considerable knowledge in food preparation, presentation and portion control;
- Able to plan, organize and direct the activities of employees in the kitchen area;
- Able to develop an effective working relationship with fellow employees and supervisors;
- Able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English;
- Able to multi-task and delegate duties to co-workers and staff;
- Able to work a variety of shifts including evenings, weekends and holidays;
- Able to meet tight deadlines;
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Constantly standing and moving around in a kitchen environment;
- Frequently twisting, crouching, and stooping, handling and grasping various kitchen utensils, and fingering/feeling foods and spices;
- Occasionally sitting, using leg/foot to operate kitchen equipment, climbing stairs and balancing supplies and food;
- Exposure to varying temperatures (72 – 110 degrees F);
- Exposure to slippery floors, bacteria in foods, noise and vibrations
If you are submitting an application, please visit our online job board at http://www.vanaqua.org/join/careers to see all our current openings. You can submit your application online to have it directed to the appropriate hiring manager.
Indeed - 18 months ago