Requisition Number: 13-0119
Title: 105 - Vancouver Aquarium Veterinary Fellowship
Job Family: Veterinary Services
Status: Fixed Term Contract
Work Hours: 37.5 Hours / Week
Location: Stanley Park - Vancouver
Close Date: 12/15/2013
Description: ROLE OVERVIEW
Reporting to the Staff Veterinarian, the Veterinary Intern will assist the veterinary staff in providing medical management for a large captive display collection that includes marine mammals, terrestrial mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and a large variety of native and tropical fish as well as approximately 150 live-stranded marine mammals (mostly harbour seals) which are cared for by the Vancouver Aquarium. This is a one-year position beginning in summer 2014 for a veterinarian interested in pursuing specialized training in aquatic animal medicine.
Responsible for providing medical management for the captive display collection and live stranded marine mammals by:
- Conducting veterinary duties such as examinations, blood sampling, parasite screening, diagnostic imaging, anesthesia, vaccinations and surgeries;
- Assisting in the development of the health management program, treatment regimens and emergency medical procedures;
- Taking responsibility for treatment of hospital cases;
- Keeping up to date records.
Assist the veterinary staff in providing a comprehensive animal health program to the Vancouver Aquarium by:
- Completing regular veterinary rounds;
- Conducting regular physical examinations;
- Managing and encouraging routine communication between the veterinary and staff/researchers.
Participates in post mortem examinations of stranded marine mammals under the supervision of a board-certified veterinary pathologist at the provincial Animal Health Centre.
Oversee veterinary externship program:
- Assist in the selection and scheduling of visiting externs, researchers, interns and residents;
- Mentor and teach visiting veterinary students (12-15 per year).
Complete and assist with research papers or case report by:
- Developing a research proposal;
- Taking samples for various research projects;
- Completing research paper for scientific publication.
Education and Experience
- DVM degree or equivalent;
- Previous marine mammal or wildlife experience is a plus;
- Individuals must be eligible for licensing in the Province of British Columbia;
- At least one year of clinical veterinary experience is required and a small animal internship is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to work in a complex team;
- Ability to complete tasks and make sound decisions;
- Excellent problem solving skills; ability to think quickly under pressure and high stress;
- Strong organization skills (scheduling procedures, examinations, planning logistics for off-site procedures).
- Job involves constant attention while working with animals for personal safety and the safety of others;
- Exposure to animal bites, animal pathogens and chemicals;
- Requires lifting medical equipment;
- Requires ability to gain access to all animal holding areas some of which are difficult to enter and require ladders and walking on slippery surfaces;
- Requires working rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays and may be on call 24 hours per day.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates can submit their resume with cover letter on the Vancouver Aquarium Careers Homepage: https://rt11.ultipro.ca/VAN5001/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx