Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Good hours, good work environment, odd scheduling policies
Community Donation Center Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS18 February 2018
The company was able to offer a good number of work hours, pension and bonuses, but they had odd staff scheduling practices. They scheduled staff based on the previous month's donation count rather than the current month's expected count, so we were understaffed at Halloween and other times like right after Christmas, when there were annual expected increases in staffing requirements, which would not be reflected in the previous month's numbers. This method of scheduling policy was a little odd and sometimes unsafe if one person was working alone in receiving and expected to deal with extremely heavy or overly large items alone while other backup staff were busy working in the other areas of the store.
Pros
Hours, Pension, Bonuses, Work Environment
Cons
Scheduling Policies
Great place, awesome environment, staff is friendly
TEAM MEMBER (CASHIER, GENERAL RECOVERY) (Current Employee) –  Wilson, ON14 February 2018
I enjoyed working there. Great for a first job but not only that. I would definitely recommend it. As long as you do what your supposed to it's great.
Pros
Great experience and staff
Cons
Can stressful
Fun place to work
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 February 2018
Overall, had a really good experience with this job. If the management knows that you have the potential to learn more duties, they will teach you and acknowledge you.
Pros
Free lunches at times, benefits, raises every so often.
Cons
Long hours depending on the day.
Its an ok place to start
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 February 2018
When i started here it seemed like a great atmosphere. Then i started in the back being a sorter. You are supposed to rotate on tables so you don't get sore. That does not happen here. My health rapidly declined as you sort 800 plus pound carts. I got migraines and nose bleeds every day to the point my doctor told me to leave.
seller
Sales and general labour (Former Employee) –  Wilson, Ave West12 February 2018
my job was 7 hours and all day was recycling clothes or in the store as a salesperson and I deal with people from other cultures
my bosses were people who always tried to teach the works
Pros
not many
Cons
Payment is not enough
fun environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 February 2018
i enjoyed everyone i worked with
learning the different areas of the production aspect within the company.
and again i enjoyed working with some amazing people
A Dirty and Dusty Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2018
worked in all departments of company, assist with setting up seasonal store fixtures, worked on cash, donation area, stock racks with clothes and assists costumer with items.
Pros
meeting new people, seeing cool stuff
Cons
disorganzied managment, tons of shoplifters, extremely arrongant supervisors
Unique job, but got repetitive quickly
CDC Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON7 February 2018
Each day was the same as the last. Come in, get donations from outside that were left overnight, sort them, clean, help other stations (ripping covers off books, removing covers from vinyls, hanging hangers), wait for donors, sort their donations, give them discount cards/add to them, test electronics/lighting received, sort / organize everything, clean, repeat till end of shift.
Pros
donations helped different funds (i.e. Diabetes association, mental health, etc.)
Cons
really repetitive, and hazardous with some items, (needles in pockets, stains with un-known origins, etc)
Fun, fast paced environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 February 2018
Everyone was always very friendly, they give you amazing hands on training and if you make a mistake they are confidential about it which was nice. The team really works as a family.
Flexable and comfortable workplace
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
A typical day working at Value Village included keeping shelves stocked and organized, pricing items, keeping the store clean and organized, and greeting and assisting customers. The management was friendly and understanding and the overall workplace culture was open, fun, and understanding.
Productive work place area
Summer co-op (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON6 February 2018
Value Village was a great experience for a summer co op/ paid program through yes employment. It was a wonderful place to work and it was filed with wonderful people i enjoyed working with.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Rude customers
Fun Place to Work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 February 2018
Very easy to balance home life with work life. Kind management, mostly supporting staff. Learned about the hardships of stock business, was okay with they pay. Most enjoyable part was being able to worksite such a supporting manager.
Not a typical retail position
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON4 February 2018
I have never worked for a company that has done more good within a community on grass-roots level to help local community groups, non-profits, and individuals alike and yet receive virtually no recognition or credit for their efforts. The company is much misaligned in social media by misinformed individuals who are largely ignorant of the various programs and partnerships that run behind the scenes of the retail operation. Yes, the company sells second-hand goods but that is just one facet of it's operation, and it's the least interesting facet in my opinion.
Pros
Helping local non-profits and individuals in need, protecting the environment, talking to regular customers about the items that they collect
Seasonal
Seasonal Costume Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON4 February 2018
Working at Value Village as a seasonal costume consultant was ok. I had great co workers but did not like the environment as it was smelly and dusty. I got a good amount of hours but I do not think I would return for the Halloween season.
Pros
discount
Cons
smelly, dusty, disorganized
Hard work but rewarding
Jewelry Pricer (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 February 2018
I have been lucky enough to be in a company that values their employees. Management is efficient and knowledgeable, and I've learned so much from them. Leaving Value Village is difficult, but because of physical limitations I can no longer effectively do the work required of me.
Pros
great bosses, excellent working hours/benefits
Cons
quotas
Not a place i wanna work again
Sorting/hanging assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON1 February 2018
It was repetitive, stressful.
People I worked with were depressed, and some were bullies
One manager was nasty some days to certain people then nice other days.
They didnt seem to care about us in general
It was ok for a start
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 January 2018
It was the same thing over and over again. The co-workers and the managers/supervisors where great for the most part. The pay and the benefits are a joke for the amount of work you do.
Overvworked and underpaid
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 January 2018
As a sorter you have a quota managers are very demanding to make sure you reach these almost impossible quotas. Very dirty and dusty environment. The stress of having to reach quota on a daily basis and dealing with toxic smells and bugs not worth the low pay.
Benefits
Cons
Quota
Fast Paced Environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 January 2018
Fast paced environment , Always learned new things everyday and meeting new people. Heavy lifting over 150 pound was not my favorite but I enjoyed the people I worked with.
Best deals, best workplace.
CDC Ambassador + Cashier (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON28 January 2018
Excellent company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement. Open Door policy is huge for them, and they take pride in constructive feedback, as a developing company. Very flexible with hours, great staff, amazing managers. Definitely the place to work for.