Valspar Employee Reviews

Steady job, good training
Paint Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX15 January 2017
Setup and reconcilation of cash drawer
Helped customers with mixing, matching, and recommendations of different coatings
Answered phones, performed cleaning duties, and warehouse duties as well
Pros
Good relationship with customers, learned about industry
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great company to work for and they know how to take care of their employees
Sales (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NC10 January 2017
I enjoyed my time with Valspar. They take pride in their sales force and give them the tools and knowledge to succeed in a very competitive market. I have learned a lot from my years there that have helped me to succeed in my future endeavors.
Pros
Trips, meals, expense account, great informational meetings
Poor Work Culture
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, IL31 December 2016
Poor work culture and hard to move up in the company. Very political. Meager raises, Hard to get noticed even when you work late. Lots of Gossip including in management.
Pros
Free Coffee, free paint.
Cons
Very political, poor work environment
pay is good. not much time for life outside of work.
Filler / Batch maker (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, IL30 December 2016
so much mandatory overtime you feel like you live there but the pay is great. management seems like they don't have a clue sometimes. fellow employees are really good people to work witk.
Competative environment with little social integration
Quality Assurance Manager II (Current Employee) –  Garland, TX4 December 2016
A day at Valspar is met with copious task oriented activities that always seem to outnumber the number of employees or sophisticated systems available to complete said tasks. It is a regular challenge to guide the business into areas of growth and improvement as most groups struggle to work together. Most of the employees there are nice, but are left to defend themselves and their positions with little support from management. The most enjoyable part of my job is influencing and mentoring young minds, as there seems to be an endless supply of new employees that need guidance due to the high level of turnover.
Pros
Flexible work schedule for salary employees
Cons
Lack of culture that supports human capital
Great benifits
Territory Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TX2 December 2016
The company pays slightly below average; however, the benefits are unparralelled. It is inexpensive and covers an unrealistic amount. I have been gone for two years and still get small amounts into my 401K. They covered 100% of prenatal care, so my wife and I spent only co-pays for all visits, $0, to my wife's OB like 5 or 6 times during her pregnancy. She was hospitalized multiple times and including child birth and stay we spent under $1000 for the entire pregnancy. I got fillings in 4 teeth, all my wisdom teeth pulled including oral surgery for 2 and my cost was around $200. I cannot understate how much the benefits with this company made up for any low amount of salary. The work was solid. They expected great results, but they provided everything needed. Also, my position came with $10/day for lunches, plus any amount needed for sales lunches.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, company car, technology provided
Cons
Constant curveballs, growing competition
Territory Manager
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO7 November 2016
The Company Is being Bought out, But the company Is the best company I have ever been apart off.

Called on Lowes and had about 5 stores I had to travel to and manage-Train-Inventory-Sales Calls
Had a company Car, Expense Car, Laptop, Ipad,
Very hazardous
Operations Balancing Employee (Former Employee) –  Medina, OH31 October 2016
Very Hazardous, requires lots of Safety Regulations for your safety. Chemical hazardous products work-related that requires lots of Safety-precautions.
Pros
Sufficient bonus Val-share.
Cons
Chemical hazardous
Good workplace with enjoyable co workers!
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PA25 October 2016
Was a good experience. I really enjoyed the job and also the people. It was a relaxing place to work and also a fun place! I looked forward to going everyday!
Pros
Enjoyable environment
Valspar
Stand-up Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Garland, TX13 October 2016
The job was good but the Management wasn't there because their were going close that branch so when the time came I got a better offer from a other job.
Overall it's a great company with great products and nice profit.
Sourcing Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN10 October 2016
Overall it's a great company with great products and in a profitable business. But turnover is a big challenge.Management and company culture has major problems. Working environment has changed significantly in the past five years.
Not the best
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, NH21 September 2016
Management is quite terrible, And the other representatives rarely are helpful. The company was good when initially starting but the management changed and so did everything else with it.
Mandatory 2 year commitment
Marketing Analyst Intern - Marketing (Former Employee) –  上海市29 August 2016
Spent two years training as a diver. Great teachers and mentors. Work life balance is getting better and better. Opportunities to travel and do great things in your career!
Potential but lost its way
Purchaser/AP/Auditor/Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA29 July 2016
Was typically an 8 hour day that was mostly manufacturing based, I was involved in both purchasing and inventory control. Working with east coast suppliers most work was done very early in the am.
Management could use some training as they struggled with leading by example and following through with discipline and reward.
Co-workers are what kept me with company so long.
Dealing with management was the most difficult as well as training there was no structured training program which caused too many errors daily with new employees are employees new to their position.
the co workers were the best thing there because of the poor management employees worked together to make it a manageable place to work.
Pros
decent benefits, steady 40 hours a week, great co workers
Cons
poorly ran, management lacked leadership, poor training
Handful of decent lads, management of all levels clueless
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Deeside8 July 2016
Deeside plant
Typical American ran company and old school management
Poor management on all levels
No training really other than watching a video once a month which is normally the same one, yes video
Blame culture is very strong tit for tat set up
Make the rules up as they go along
Suits them to do this this until something goes wrong then they blame the operators mainly or whoever was closest
Warnings are handed out on a weekly basis, certain operators get privelidges over others
No loyalty shown not matter what position held or length of service
Pros
You get a locker but just one
Cons
To many to list, think carefully before taking a role here
Good people average pay
Pick Packer (Current Employee) –  Blacktown NSW3 July 2016
Hired as a casual working 35 hours a week average. Sometimes you're let go due to lack of work load and some overtime because there are lots to do.

People are great where I work. It's not hard to Pick Pack, and those who just don't fit are let go within few days after their hiring. I've lasted a few months, learned few roles around the warehouse and earned some respect for the quality of my work.

It's like most places, money is good to have but if you're not happy at the workplace you're not going to last long. Luckily we have a lot of good people where I work and although the pay is average I stay for the happy mindset.

Working at Valspar great place to work if you're willing to put some effort into the work. It's not hard but it ain't no cruising job. You're given a few chance but if you're a casual you could be told to not come in on day two.
Pros
The atmosphere & people
Cons
unccertaintly for job security and hours
fun enviroment
Compounder / Filler (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CA27 June 2016
Valspar was a great job and opportunity for me to work with people and young adults. Being a coach was great it really made me grow as a person and want help build young girls to leaders
Nice place to work at
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN19 June 2016
They shared a building with Ameriprise and had a lunchroom on the first floor with a ping pong table that we could play on. When getting to the Valspar offices you were greeted by many cubicles. Some people greeted some didn't, there was also a free hot chocolate and coffee machine.
Production
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, IL1 June 2016
The job itself is great, I actually really like the job. Factory work is different if you have never worked in that type of environment. You sometimes feel like just a number and not an actual human. Wish we were praised more for a job well done. All in all its a good job, pays well, and the people are decent to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
shift work
Good place to work, nice people to work with
Mill Operator/Batch Maker (Former Employee) –  Medina, OH31 May 2016
Start out with safety meeting, production game plan for the day. Reviewed quality issues. Reviewed incidents and accidents from local site and corporate facilities. Checked schedule to see what batches needed produced. Retrieved materials needed to make these batches. Worked closely with co-worker to fulfill production demands.
Pros
Good compensation.
Cons
Highly flammable materials..

2.8