Valspar Employee Reviews

Handful of decent lads, management of all levels clueless
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  DeesideJuly 8, 2016
Deeside plant
Typical American ran company and old school management
Poor management on all levels
No training really other than watching a video once a month which is normally the same one, yes video
Blame culture is very strong tit for tat set up
Make the rules up as they go along
Suits them to do this this until something goes wrong then they blame the operators mainly or whoever was closest
Warnings are handed out on a weekly basis, certain operators get privelidges over others
No loyalty shown not matter what position held or length of service
Pros
You get a locker but just one
Cons
To many to list, think carefully before taking a role here
Good people average pay
Pick Packer (Current Employee) –  Blacktown NSWJuly 3, 2016
Hired as a casual working 35 hours a week average. Sometimes you're let go due to lack of work load and some overtime because there are lots to do.

People are great where I work. It's not hard to Pick Pack, and those who just don't fit are let go within few days after their hiring. I've lasted a few months, learned few roles around the warehouse and earned some respect for the quality of my work.

It's like most places, money is good to have but if you're not happy at the workplace you're not going to last long. Luckily we have a lot of good people where I work and although the pay is average I stay for the happy mindset.

Working at Valspar great place to work if you're willing to put some effort into the work. It's not hard but it ain't no cruising job. You're given a few chance but if you're a casual you could be told to not come in on day two.
Pros
The atmosphere & people
Cons
unccertaintly for job security and hours
fun enviroment
Compounder / Filler (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJune 27, 2016
Valspar was a great job and opportunity for me to work with people and young adults. Being a coach was great it really made me grow as a person and want help build young girls to leaders
Nice place to work at
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2016
They shared a building with Ameriprise and had a lunchroom on the first floor with a ping pong table that we could play on. When getting to the Valspar offices you were greeted by many cubicles. Some people greeted some didn't, there was also a free hot chocolate and coffee machine.
Production
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJune 1, 2016
The job itself is great, I actually really like the job. Factory work is different if you have never worked in that type of environment. You sometimes feel like just a number and not an actual human. Wish we were praised more for a job well done. All in all its a good job, pays well, and the people are decent to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
shift work
Good place to work, nice people to work with
Mill Operator/Batch Maker (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHMay 31, 2016
Start out with safety meeting, production game plan for the day. Reviewed quality issues. Reviewed incidents and accidents from local site and corporate facilities. Checked schedule to see what batches needed produced. Retrieved materials needed to make these batches. Worked closely with co-worker to fulfill production demands.
Pros
Good compensation.
Cons
Highly flammable materials..
My favorite job
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCMay 24, 2016
I loved the responsibility of the job...making sure we supplied the best product possible to our customer. I took pride in my job and took it seriously. The job required interacting with R&D, management and hourly employees. There was some travel - at least a few times a year. There were a lot of decisions that had to be made quickly, so you had to think quick on your feet. The majority of people were great to work with. But, I did notice if you weren't apart of the "good ole boy" group, you were treated as fairly. Some people made major mistakes and cost the company money as well as had several complaints. But somehow they were able to keep their jobs over someone who was going through some personal issues and they didn't seem to want to compassionate and understanding. But other than that, I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Pay, projects
Cons
Cliques
Good employer
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and HumbersideMay 9, 2016
Good employer, great workmates, fast paced environment.

Excellent products, marketing leading quality.

Loads to cram into a day. Very much working at your own pace and can be very challenging.
Pros
free lunches
Pay vs Management
Selector (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMay 9, 2016
While the pay is what is attractive, especially with overtime, management is what will drive you out the door. There is constant pressure to point out the flaws of your coworkers, and rarely any recognition for those who go above and beyond what is required of them. Threats are regularly made by management that "if you don't like it, you know where the door is". Not only are these threats made, but they are done so in public. Over the years, the company has cut back more and more perks for working there such as lunches and raffles, and most of the time does not even provide cutlery for use by employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor treatment by management, no perks, limited bonuses
Productive place with a great employee atmosphere
Journeyman Batchmaker (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHMay 8, 2016
Great wages, fantastic people, learned a lot working with this company. Learned several positions taught by great and dedicated employees.
Pros
Great Wages, Great Employees
Cons
Healthcare costs, Terrible Managment
I work with a great team of people
Credit Officer Senior (Current Employee) –  Norwest Business Park NSWMay 4, 2016
Very busy office, never a dull moment. Always something to be done and customer to call.

Currently I am enjoying working with the banking team and allocations for all direct deposits, bpays and credit card payments.

I am also enjoying reviewing new applications for customers before they are approved for opening accounts.

Enjoying reporting for my manager till a replacement is found to fill this position.
Average Company With Untapped Potential
Health, Safety, and Environmental Manger (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILApril 14, 2016
Valspar has had tremendous success in paint manufacturing and is recognized as a leader in the industry. It has a decentralized organizational structure which can be good and bad. On the good side there's a lot of flexibility to implement new ideas at a local level. On the bad side - if the idea is big enough there are many road blocks which can hurt morale. Most management teams operate in silos because there is no clear direction with priority given to the proper issues at hand. The company is full of great people and most people want to develop but without the tools and leaders to develop its workforce most people never develop to full potential. That goes for both salaried and hourly. Pay is above average and the benefits are solid. Work-life balance is above average as well.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management engagment and people development
A company that uses a lot of Salesforce.com functionality
IT Business Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2016
Valspar has been one of the few companies that use both sales and service cloud, as well as communities. They are also very open to exploring new Salesforce functionality.

The team is very small and there is too much project work for a team that small to handle.

Everyone is very worried that Salesforce will no longer exist once Sherwin-Williams purchases Valspar.
Pros
Great uses for Salesforce.com
Cons
No on-boarding and very little management support
productive fun place to work
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAMarch 14, 2016
productive fun place to work. the employees are nice and are very helpful to new hires. The management is very helpful and will train you as you go.
Awesome place to work
IT Risk Auditor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 14, 2016
My team are great people, that love what they and are willing to go the extra mile to see project don't go past the due date.
Needs repair
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2016
Valspar's systems (financial reporting, analytic's, operations, etc.), were difficult to manage through. The artwork and art label system drove one to managing minutia and not what really counts - product strategy. The consumer div. is driven by Lowe's and the sales team. This puts them at a me-too product innovation disadvantage and vision is extremely short-sighted. This also puts an undue sense of urgency that could be avoided with stronger leadership. Something is broken there.
Pros
Friendly peers, pay
Cons
Leadership
Good company overall!
Senior Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2016
High turn over rate due to senior leadership. Great leadership from middle management down. Good 'ol boy mentality at the top. Innovative product and very underrated within the consumer market.

I enjoyed my time with Valspar.
I really enjoyed working for Valspar - a Great company.
Territory Manager - Lowe's Sales (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCFebruary 8, 2016
Each day I met with contractors and visited one of the Lowe's stores in my territory. While in the stores got to meet many great Lowe's employees and management.
Position was enjoyable to manage
QUALITY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHJanuary 30, 2016
The plant was a good environment to work.
Day to day operations are well organized and busy. The other managers and employees are knowledgeable and very helpful to new employees. The company recently made the decision to close the location.
Pros
Well established processes and monitoring for continuous improvement.
Cons
Plant closure
Fun and enjoyable company to work for
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Fun, team oriented job with a great leadership and work-life balance. Company car, phone, laptop and free lunches are provided.
Pros
free lunchess, work life balance

2.9