Valspar

Valspar Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
extremely busy, result oriented and fast paced
Batch Maker (Current Employee), Moline, ILDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at Valspar is extremely busy, result oriented and very fast paced environment. On a day to day basis I make and handle thousands of dollars worth of paint and paint materials. Starting the day we as employees come into what is known as a team huddle that nails down the objectives and goals for the shift and what needs to be done for the day. I would then go and find my batch cards which identify what I would be working on. Normally I would deal with 3-4 batch cards a day. I then have to plan out how I will approach each batch so I can get an idea of how long it will take me per batch. I then would order my raw materials which normally takes 30-45 minutes to receive. After order my materialsI would then go to our computer which has a PPS (Prospective Payment System) and would then start my batch in the system letting the company know what batch is being handled, when it was started, when its finished and its yield percentages per batch. As I continue after the PPS I then have to determine what size mixing tank I need for the batch and once this figured out I am able to start dumping my raw materials. Following directions is a must because one little mistake could throw off the batch and more work would have to be put into a batch resulting in lost time. After I am done with a batch I then have to take measurements to figure out the GPI (gallons per inch) which then goes into a calculation to determine the yield percentage of the batch that shows the accuracy of your measurements after you have added all of your materials. Then after this step is complete I would – more... allocate my materials which means adjusting the inventory and showed what was used and moved from certain locations.

I have learned a lot about multi tasking because I would normally be working on 1-2 batches at a time to speed along the process. I have also learned what quality means and what a true quality product is well. Management is there to help and speed along the process when there are problems. The coworkers make the weeks better because we come together as a team and get the things done there are put in front of us. Its a good friendly environment around the co workers and its easy to make friends with the people I work with.

The hardest part of the job is time orientation on your batches. A eight hour workday may seem long but as soon as you step on the floor the time goes by too quick. The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom that you get to move amongst the factory. – less
Inspiring office environment, good paint, some great people but not all
Graphic designer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 6, 2012
Pros: office enivronment was designed well, paint at cost, good benefits, chaity work with habitat for humaity
Cons: poorly trained managment, culture is not progressive
You have to remember this company just went public in 2007 so they do not have all the kinks worked out. They work hard to streamline processes and make things better. This is great! THey are very focused on LSS.

There are some top quality people working there and I had the pleasure of working with some of them. Also, the culture, from the top down, is not progressive. It's stuck in a time warp. There is nothing like flex-time and you have the same vacation increases as the factory workers.

Mainly, I had problems with management. There is no mentor program, no training for managers or anyone who manages people. Thus bad habits are passed down from one manager to the next. I, personally, experienced my manager bullying me till she "separated" me from the company. It was a mutual separation. She did the same thing to my colleague a few weeks later. I stayed for this abuse (working there a total of 3 years) because I couldn't believe they would let this happen but her boss and HR was actually supportive.

What was good about my job there? The amount of people from there that have called me since to support me knowing what happened was wrong. I made quality friends because quality people work there.
Trying to stay positive
Sales Representative -The Paint Drop (Current Employee), Lombard, ILApril 9, 2015
Pros: Good pay and benefits
Cons: Unrealistic sales goals, resources not readily available, products not up to par, many products are not available that would easily be found with competitors, too much micromanagement, jobs
I enjoy being able set my hours, but if I wanted to be realistic I am on call 24/7 even on vacation time away. My job is a Outside Sales Representative however I do sales, deliveries, orders and processing. I will be contacted my consumers first thing in the morning to as late as midnight, weekends off and even out of town. The position is definitely demanding and does not consist of any true clarity as to who is in charge of what, it is more a shared job responsibility between location manager, sales representative and driver. I wish we had the resources and the products to really make this job a success as to which I came into this from the beginning stages to help build this company to something great with my knowledge and experience. Unfortunately much has been ignored and workers have been hired outside of the industry who are not familiar with this industry and not have been properly trained to understand what or how they should go about learning how to better the company with the skills they bring to the company. Anyway, if things don't turn around this company is looking at a lot more loss than they already experiencing.
Could be an innovative company, but Managment is in the way!
Contract Sr. Art Director (Former Employee), Chicago/O'HareNovember 7, 2012
Pros: chicago office is newly redecorated - cool space
Cons: horrible management. can't think out of the box. too conservative.
I worked at Valspar as a contract designer w/in the Chicago/O'hare office and was excited when I got the opportunity as the marketing division seemed to have a lot of promise. Though they appear to be an innovative, creative company... they are not! Unfortunately they did not use their creative designers in-house to create the innovative designs, they went outside to get the fun, creative job done... no need for that. Poorly managed in many ways. They cut my contract short with no notice b/c the so-called "manager" (one of the worst I ever had) was leaving on vacation and "had no one to manage me" even though I had 7 more yrs of experience in design and management than her. It was a BS excuse b/c they knew I was not happy, creatively and they were ultimately looking for a permanent Art Dir. It was a contract job and I needed the money! It was my way to make a living and they didn't see that. In the 6 weeks I was there...3 people got fired and 2 quit in my division! That tells you something! Employees aren't really treated as human beings, more like cattle. It was a blessing in disguise to leave!
Never typical as my position was ever evolving
Manufacturing Support/Coordinator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 31, 2014
Pros: i feel this job opened a lot of doors for me
Cons: i worked in a manufacturing plant without windows for five years
I started as an Admin answering phones and the such, took over HR for a period, taking applications, panel interviewing, going over benefits and compensation with new with employees. Once they hired a HR Manager I went on to work creating the chemical routings for daily orders, and ordering materials for the batches our workers would make for powder orders. Worked with MSDS sheets and I was given the opportunity to take any classes that would benefit me in my job, paid for by the company with the EmployersAssociation of Charlotte and Purdue. This was when I was given the opportunity to take over ISO documentation which was my primary job and I loved it! This position taught me a lot, I learned the importance of detail, time management, I learned to work without supervision and the feeling of accomplishment when our plants passed their ISO Audits. I throughly enjoyed this aspect of my job. I may have not gotten the proverbially pat on the back but when I was responsible for keeping our ISO Certifications, I was fulfilled.
Productive and professional workplace where management does not care about you
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee), Wheeling, ILJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work involves testing new batches of paint and making sure they are within the designated specification range. It can get busy and hectic so time management is important.

As a temporary worker, being hired on is not guaranteed. However, management has a tendency of implying that you will get hired. It does not matter how well you do the job, how few mistakes you make, and how well you work with the coworkers. They prefer a culture where temps come in for 6 months, leave and new temps come in. It is cheaper for them and that is all they care about.

The worst part is that management never communicates what is happening. If you want updates you need to ask management and will likely have to wait a few weeks before hearing back.

Co-workers are great, Very friendly and more than willing to help.
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Patiki Road AvondaleJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches, training, support
I enjoyed learning about the company and how different it was from my previous job before this, it was a Paint company so I was dealing with Paint unlike my previous job, I was wearing different hats dealing with Electricity & gas along with media calls and other different faults and emergency calls. It was nice but still challenging getting orders processed via fax, phone and emails at a certain time etc. Co-workers were good busy most of the time but I managed to get help if needed from one of them we were a small tight team just 4 of us in customer services so we were always busy and worked well under pressure. Enjoyable part of the job was my team keeping positive and helping each other. Truly got through the day by helping each other and that is what I appreciate the most.
Exciting Growth
Vice President Global Sourcing (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 13, 2013
I am a global Supply Chain Executive with 20+ years of diverse experience building World Class Procurement and Supply Chain capabilities and teams in the automotive, aluminum, chemical and food packaging industries. I have a strong track record of reducing costs and driving positive Cash Flow and EBITDA improvements. To build commitment and drive change, I employ a highly collaborative approach by including other departments and divisions in designing Sourcing strategies that improve the overall profitability of a company and hence create shareholder value. One of my greatest pleasures is hiring and developing talent to build capability and continually improve the Supply Chain organization. The aspect of my career of which I am most proud has been to transform the methodology of how and where products are purchased and ordered, and “leaning” the supply chain.
Still hurting from downsizing
Inventory Manager, Scheduler, Production Super (Former Employee), Charlotte, North CarolinaOctober 3, 2012
Pros: employment
Cons: no training, forced culture not taught, new hire standards reduced, lack of communication from management
At one time working at Valspar was stressful but rewarding. A Plant Mgr change impacted things in a negative manner in early 2011. Communication to direct reports and to the plant floor dropped off drastically. New PM often never left his office. It was months before he made an appearance on the plant floor to see first hand what was taking place. Basically set behind his computer firing off flaming e-mails treating everyone's job. The trust that many of the leadership group had built was gone.
Making of water based latex batches.
Chemical blender operator/Maintenance (Former Employee), Marengo, ILOctober 23, 2013
Three shift operation that you pick up where the other shift has left off. The process involves making a batch in the reactor while finishing another in a swing tank. Also preparing one or possibly two batches to be made after the current batch being made. I learned how to multitask many tasks at one time. Learned to run a reactor and work as a team. Management was minimal. Co-workers on my shift worked together well and helped each other whenever needed. The hardest part of the job was timing out your time to complete all of the task needed to be done at certain times. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
The absolute only good thing about this company is the hourly pay is ok.
Manager (Former Employee), Moline, ILJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: decent hourly pay
Cons: everything else.
Management is absolutely horrible and cares for no one other than themselves. I gets up to 140 degrees and at one point we didn't even have fans because they said it was a fire hazard. Even though we used production equipment with the same plug in and voltage. We had a decent maintenance crew but when they would come up with a good idea the production manager would steal it as his own to make him look better. One of those companies when half the production workers would be a better fit for supervisors and management other than the current ones who only worry about how to keep there job.
DEMANDING BUT FAIR
MANAGING DIRECTOR - FAR EAST (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2015
Pros: Excellant compensation
Cons: 24/7
Excellent Company with strong Management.

No such thing as a "Typical Day".

24/7 required to manage a Business unit with over 300 customers and revenue of $90+ m covering an area twice a big as the U.S.A.

Understanding on how to read a P & L is a must.

With over 800 employees of all ages, Race, Creed & Religion it is mandatory to have a strong understanding of various customs and to respect same.

Hardest part of job is communicating correctly in various Languages and dialects along with communicating all relevent information to Headquarters 12 time zones away.

Most enjoyable part of the job is Traveling and meeting people from all parts of the world.
Financially stable company with expanding name recognition
Lead Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2013
Pros: group outings
Cons: sometimes working 5 different start hours in the same week
Providing solutions to customer's problems in a fast paced call center. I learned that in order to solve the really difficult problems, being flexible works better than using a singular approach.
The management was transitory, The co-workers were great, independent minded, and fun to work with. They required very little supervision.
The hardest aspect of the job was listening to customers who were elderly and destitute, requiring help that I could not provide.
The best part of the job was our group outings
Professional and Goal Orientated Company
Mill Operator (Former Employee), Moline,Ill.April 27, 2015
Start, continue, end batches on the mills. Process batches into assigned blenders/tanks/SOD's.
Prep and clean mills for continuous operation. Spray out blenders as needed to ensure quantity control.

Pros-
3rd shift was a good fit for my lifestyle.
I enjoyed ALL of my co-workers.
Stayed busy
Good pay and benefits
Allowed to work independently
Never the same day twice
Good shift lead
Enjoyable/Professional Shift Supervisor

Cons-
Inconsistencies in policy implementation
Constantly short staffed due to inconsistent market fluctuation
Shift animosity
HR mistakes
Some training issues
Furniture Protection Claims
Claims Adjustor (Former Employee), Grand Rapids MIAugust 3, 2014
Pros: decent hours
Cons: misleading protection plans
Review orders on furniture damage(s) and determine what is more cost efficient sending a technician to repair the damages or offer a settlement.
If sending a tech I would have to search our data base throughout the US and determine the best tech to use according to repairs star rating and reviews,what one does these type of repairs as well as more cost efficient. Then contact customer to set the tech visit.

If not cost efficient I would come up with a settlement price according to the price of the furniture and how old it was. Then contact and make offer to customer if they accept then I would forward email to accounting and they would issue payment.
Long hours, very labor intensive, dusty, high-turnover
Production Technician (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: great pay, rotating schedule, benefits
Cons: high turn-over, long shifts, labor-intensive, dusty
Management is somewhat disorganized. The picture they paint to you at the beginning is not the reality. This place has high turn-over because of poor management, and lots of politics. The work is hard. If you get a line operator position, plan on being wet almost every day you go to work. Not fun during the cold months especially. Breaks are ok, but can be short. Pay is decent. This facility produces dust, so plan on being dusty from head to toe almost every day.
Global Company with good benefits
customer service representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 10, 2015
Pros: Lots of PTO
Cons: No job security
It's like getting into Fort Knox (very difficult), but the turnover is crazy. It is like a phone factory. You never really feel like you are a valued employee, more like a seat filler. It's heartbreaking when you give a job your all and feel little recognition for your hard work. There are some amazing supervisors and employees. Their benefit package is good and their vacation and PTO package is even better. Try not to get too attached, they don't really care about you as a person or employee.
Competitive pay but slow advancement
Lab Technician (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, profit sharing
Cons: no advancement
In my current role, my manager respects me and is easy to work for. He knows that I accepted my current position with the hopes of advancing to a position that more suits my qualifications. That has not happened. It has been talked about, and promised for several cycles of promotions. We always hear the same reasons why, hiring freeze, cost constraints, just wait for your right opportunity. It is not a bad place to work, but if you are looking for a career and a place to climb the ladder I would not recommend it.
Great team environment within the Lowe's Sales group.
Lowe's Sales Team (Former Employee), Mooresville, NCJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great people who work hard in a team environment.
Cons: progress toward targets not regularly communicated beyond upper management.
The Lowe's Sales office was filled with very talented people who truly wanted to be a team contributor. The hiring process 5 years ago required personality, intelligence, and cognitive testing which helped in selecting the right people to work in the group.

Was able to learn Lowe's operations inside and out.They provided access to their various cross-functional teams to execute projects and product launches.

Hard work and increasing sales provided new opportunities to learn and grow and was promoted throughout my time at Valspar.
production tech
production tech (Former Employee), marengo illApril 7, 2015
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: no-breaks and bad supervision
don't work here don't let you take breaks in a 12 hr day .suppose
to get 30 min break and two 15 min breaks . the shift supervisor's are not experience enough with people skills stay away .other wise the people on shift are great this was the worse experience of my life.the night shift runs short handed and they don't care while your killing your self . I ran chemical reactor's for 32 years in one company and I never seen such bad leadership
Headquarters